Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Far Cry 2 is so goddamn good. There's just something sublime about the whole experience. It's best enjoyed at a slow pace. It really punctuates the hot intense moments of passionate action. And it looks so drat pretty, even today. I only wish the animal ecology was more expanded with predator animals and such, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Far Cry 2 best Far Cry don't @me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Far Cry 2 wasn't perfect but it was super unique, I enjoyed what I played of it quite a bit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the ambiance of that game is drat great. Love the way the foliage shadows move.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One more "basically Skyrim" pic:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I love Rocky Mountain Oysters. Wish I could get some fresh where I live.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Do slightly older games fit itt? Do I at least get points for getting the Win95 version stable on Windows 10? There's the stable DOS via doxbox version through Steam and a $5 toll. It works, but it is much inferior to the full-on Win95 version of SimCity 2000.

This is the good version. The graphics are old but definitely clearer on screen than this jpegged compressed-ness. But you get the idea. Not one tile unaccounted for. Even underground. I dunno. I've enjoyed creating this and want to share it with you.

SimCity 2000

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

fzA455 posted:

Do slightly older games fit itt? Do I at least get points for getting the Win95 version stable on Windows 10? There's the stable DOS via doxbox version through Steam and a $5 toll. It works, but it is much inferior to the full-on Win95 version of SimCity 2000.

This is the good version. The graphics are old but definitely clearer on screen than this jpegged compressed-ness. But you get the idea. Not one tile unaccounted for. Even underground. I dunno. I've enjoyed creating this and want to share it with you.

SimCity 2000

Tag yourself, I'm Mount Fuckhead

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

StandardVC10 posted:

gently caress U!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

StandardVC10 posted:

Juggalo Beach Woop Woop!

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

StandardVC10 posted:

Consolidated MethWorks

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

More Far Cry 2. There's so much beautiful scenery everywhere. Blowing past everything in a vehicle is the wrong way to travel.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

fzA455 posted:

SimCity 2000

Oh the nostalgia, right into my eyeballs. It's been forever so I may not be remembering correctly: Can't you rename your neighbor cities? At the very least shouldn't the Mount rear end in a top hat district have a nearby neighbor city connection to Throbbing Peak?

Also :golfclap: for Zug Island for being true to life.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Fabulousity posted:

Oh the nostalgia, right into my eyeballs. It's been forever so I may not be remembering correctly: Can't you rename your neighbor cities? At the very least shouldn't the Mount rear end in a top hat district have a nearby neighbor city connection to Throbbing Peak?

Also :golfclap: for Zug Island for being true to life.

You cannot name the neighboring towns unfortunately. Thank you for the :golfclap: I spent a lot of time kind of making it a "real city" by incorporating like, my home, and Detroit, and Chicago, Atlantic City, Southeast Asia (all the marinas. Picture a poo poo ton of boats on the river), etc. You have to use your imagination a bit. Major rear end in a top hat is the mayor of the Assholes and lives in the Mayor's House atop Mount rear end in a top hat. The rivaling Fuckheads are on the other side of the river. Strange ways we occupy ourselves.

I've spent way too many hours on this. The more zoomed in you get, the more detailed. Lots of math. I first started at Zug Island with all industry and coal power plants. The idea was to make the place suck and put all the polluting stuff on the water (hence the name Death River) and then have Juggalo Beach be really lovely like Del Ray (Detroit) but it started turning out half-way decent land-value wise and whatnot so I adapted. The Fuckheads and Assholes have rivaling stadiums too as you can see. There are better and worse ways to occupy oneself.

:)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So I googled Zug Island... Indian burial ground -> Estate home -> Industrial dumping ground -> Steel mill

It's in the competition for worst place on Earth, I'm sure.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Here's me and my squadron, bringing down the mighty Max Immelmann!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

More Far Cry

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BigglesSWE posted:

What is this? :stare:

EDIT: Haha that user name... :britain:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

What is this? :stare:

EDIT: Haha that user name... :britain:

Tallyho!

This would be Wings Over Flanders Fields, a WWI flight simulator based upon Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

CFS3 is required, and can be hard to find outside of Amazon.

Plenty of fun planes to fly and destroy!

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 10, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BigglesSWE posted:

Tallyho!

This would be Wings Over Flanders Fields, a WWI flight simulator based upon Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

CFS3 is required, and can be hard to find outside of Amazon.

Plenty of fun planes to fly and destroy!

My friends and I used to get blasted in college and all boot up CFS3 to set up some LAN WWII dogfights. We were all in flight school so nothing but the most obnoxious bragging rights was on the line. God do I miss those days.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It's the first day of the Somme! 20 000 British troops are mowed down below, and B flight of RFC-32 is kept busy among the clouds!

I bagged two Eindeckers, but both claims were rejected. Bugger it all.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my recent IL-2 Sturmovik escapades, now that they have a career mode!

Close, but no cigar.

Sprung a fuel leak but managed to make a clean landing, only to discover the control tower car was on fire for some reason.

After a long hard day of bringing it to the Jerries, nothing beats a brisk walk through the woods.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

It's the first day of the Somme! 20 000 British troops are mowed down below, and B flight of RFC-32 is kept busy among the clouds!

I bagged two Eindeckers, but both claims were rejected. Bugger it all.

at first glance i thought these were from Rise of Flight. for anyone that hasn't tried it yet, it is genuinely amazing and uses the engine that IL-2 game posted just after it was built off of.

but most importantly of all, it introduced FPS style pistols that you can aim and shoot mid-flight which has been the epitome of PvP ever since it was introduced even though i can probably count the number of successful kills i've seen happen this way on one hand :ocelot:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Thief posted:

at first glance i thought these were from Rise of Flight. for anyone that hasn't tried it yet, it is genuinely amazing and uses the engine that IL-2 game posted just after it was built off of.

but most importantly of all, it introduced FPS style pistols that you can aim and shoot mid-flight which has been the epitome of PvP ever since it was introduced even though i can probably count the number of successful kills i've seen happen this way on one hand :ocelot:

Oh yes, RoF is amazing, the physics engine is by far the best one I've encountered in a flight sim.

WOFF has a far better campaign engine though.

I might add, in WOFF there's a early version of the B.E.2 biplane where the gunner is equipped with a bolt action rifle instead of a machinegun.

Can be seen here, not my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3LTyLDgDxY

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 11, 2018

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So I googled Zug Island... Indian burial ground -> Estate home -> Industrial dumping ground -> Steel mill

It's in the competition for worst place on Earth, I'm sure.

It's fascinating. The area of Detroit across the canal, Delray, is pretty much a ghost town now because of noise but mainly really bad and toxic smells. It didn't smell too bad when I went. Maybe has to do with the timing/weather/wind/whatever.

You can't get on the island. Super secure and poo poo. Maybe a bit tin-foil hatty in there. They won't let researchers in to confirm that their giant blast furnaces are causing a low frequency hum/rumble across the river in Windsor, Ontario that rattles windows and has been reported to drive people insane, or make them feel nauseous and uneasy. Hell, here's a recording if you have good headphones nearby!

https://youtu.be/tPDILKQjJW8

For what it's worth, I put my ear to the ground on the Detroit side and didn't feel anything remarkable. Just that kinda general "rumble" and energy of being in an area with a shitload of industry and freight trains.

I intentionally made the island a hellhole with these high-polluting coal power plants. And you can see the railroad integrated into it here and into the seaport (Narcotics Loading) and all. The residential across the river was supposed to be a slum but it turned out nice based on the game dynamics so I adapted. You can see this is very early. Well before literally every tile was accounted for.

And that traffic is wild! I have 112 subway stations now, all connected, and integrated with the rail. The screenshot of that doesn't look as neat though.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 12, 2018

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

And here's a shot of Zug Island at night. Not as scary looking as the real thing if you GIS "zug island at night." But hey, I tried.

Here's flying directly over gently caress U (Fuckheads University) Stadium looking up towards Fuckheads with Consolidated Methworks off in the distance to the left. Sadly, that's the fog distance set to the max. Old game! Hard to get a good shot of downtown because you only see a couple buildings at once instead of a clear view of the city.

Anyway, here's Mount rear end in a top hat at night.

As you can see the city is divided into rivaling factions, the Assholes and the Fuckheads, and various subsets with shifting alliances such as the Douchebags, Fartknockers, Dickheads, etc. I ran out of signs. There's a limit. Thanks for checking out my city.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

BigglesSWE posted:

I want to try this game, it reminds me of history channel's "Dogfights"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Chamuska posted:

I want to try this game, it reminds me of history channel's "Dogfights"

I recommend it! It’s fun and cool, and the world feels really alive and dynamic, while not fully dynamic (the war and the front lines will pan out according to history).

Some warnings though:

1. CFS3 is required. No way around that.

2. Performance can be all over the place, especially as the game gets later in the war. The earliest date (1915) is smooth as hell, but it can be a bit laggy from 1917-onwards.

Overall it’s the best “dynamic” campaign for a combat flight sim I know of. You can’t alter the war, but that only makes it feel so much bigger and grander. There’s a good selection of airplanes and air forces (no Belgians tho!) and there’s even a system of you filing claims after shooting down enemies. They can be rejected, so when I earlier noted that two of my claims were rejected, I meant it!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Doing some coop flights, a goon has used an AIM-120 on an enemy SU-30.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Screenshots a baked person might take while playing FF7:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i haven't played since X but i can only assume it is still the best in the series. the funniest avatar i've ever seen on this forum was a person that had a picture of cloud in the wheelchair

my girlfriend started playing this for the first time and its been cool hearing the soundtrack again even if im not watching her play

also wtf how did you make it past the first level without turning the menu/speech windows into rainbows?!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Thief posted:

i haven't played since X but i can only assume it is still the best in the series.

That is a silly assumption when FFVI exists

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
You made a typo when writing Tactics Advance.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Sometimes it's nice to stop for a moment and just appreciate how loving pretty Far Cry 5 is:

I found FC5 looking quite mediocre by 2018 standards. I'm probably spoiled by Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

That insanely nice loading screen in northern province with river and deer? Entire KCD looks like this. The game, not a loading screen.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 22, 2018

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Bioshock Remastered, pretty obviously.

I remember the very first time I ever played Bioshock was the demo from Xbox Live before the release of the game and I remember starting the demo and sitting at that opening plane crash area for like a solid minute thinking it was a cutscene of some kind before I realized it was actual gameplay. I was blown away. Game is still a looker today, imo. Yeah it's shallow from a shock-like viewpoint, but it has so much personality. I wonder what this rumored secret new Bioshock that's supposedly in development is going to be like.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Randallteal posted:

Screenshots a baked person might take while playing FF7:

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 22, 2018

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

FF7 made me think I had dyslexia

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goon nerds flying their Asperger's Jalopies.

DCS World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I got transferred to the coast, and is currently flying with the RNAS-4. Here we are, bouncing a bunch of jerries while they're taking off. Ungentlemany one might think, but so was the invasion of Belgium and here we are...