Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That’s like, every country in the world

mmm, nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

it's because fiber is cheaper to install and maintain over large distances these days

Sure wish you could tell the australian government that :eng99:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Enos Cabell posted:

You just gotta move out of the big cities and into flyover country. I've got fiber to my house in Nebraska of all places.

The hell? Who's laying down fiber in Omaha? I'm in Sarpy County and that might be tempting enough to move into Omaha proper and deal with their stupid ordinances.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm down in Lincoln, Omaha was the server it tested against.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

You just gotta move out of the big cities and into flyover country. I've got fiber to my house in Nebraska of all places.

Inexplicably I have Verizon Gigabit Fiber for $55/month in the greater Boston area, same speeds as you... but 1ms ping :smugdog:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm down in Lincoln, Omaha was the server it tested against.

Dammit

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There is literally glass in the ground in my neighborhood but because of the franchising agreements in our town it can't be utilized in residential homes.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

drat, I miss seeing numbers like those. The 100mbps Comcast connection I'm using right now is plenty fast, but still.

I had Google Fiber before in Atlanta and now my new neck of the woods is set to roll out fiber citywide.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I wouldn't mind Comcast so much if their upload speeds weren't so poo poo. Right now I have 150/5 but even their 400 plan is 400/10 (TCP acks are going to make up a significant part of that upload if downloading). The only plan they have with good upload is 2000/2000 and that is 250 a month.

They do overprovision by around 20% and I know people are stuck with far worse than 150/5 for 50 a month so I won't complain too much.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zero VGS posted:

Inexplicably I have Verizon Gigabit Fiber for $55/month in the greater Boston area, same speeds as you... but 1ms ping :smugdog:

I'd rather have a 20ms ping than admit I didn't die because of lag

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

No, it's a US thing. Even the Russians have multiple ISPs for their impoverished, vodka-swilling proles. The USA's institutions have been subject to so much regulatory capture for so long that even the most basic utilities and services have been compromised and hyper-capitalized. It's why physical media will have a presence for years to come, going digital-only is still prohibitively expensive for a huge number of Americans. Now, normally I would say 'sell a kidney' but undergoing the procedure for that actually ends up costing you money too :shrug:

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I've been seeing 1070s on eBay for ~400$. I'm tempted to buy.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

celewign posted:

I've been seeing 1070s on eBay for ~400$. I'm tempted to buy.

Used, right? They've gotta been through hell. Thinking I'll just have to pony up for a 1070ti and be happy with that for a few years.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spider wisdom posted:

Used, right? They've gotta been through hell.

What?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

I mean not all cards are used for mining, but presumably.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spider wisdom posted:

I mean not all cards are used for mining, but presumably.

A mining card, especially 1000 series cards, is not appreciably worse off than any other used card.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

PerrineClostermann posted:

A mining card, especially 1000 series cards, is not appreciably worse off than any other used card.

I heard that the brain spiders that make you think crypto is a good idea hide inside used cards from miners.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
NVIDIA will definitely sit on Volta because they have no competition in the desktop market and never need to release again *drools, soils self*

https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982050979779620864
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982051391937175552
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982052159356317698
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982052705949626368
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982053583607795714
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982053789946597376
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982054901105782784
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982055499100250113
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982056227940204544
https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/982060375167221761

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 6, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't 99% standy power these days already refreshing DRAM and keeping supporting circuits online?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It really isn't.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kerbtree posted:

I heard that the brain spiders that make you think crypto is a good idea hide inside used cards from miners.

You CAN flash a hacked bios onto a Pascal, but the number of people with the skills and hardware to do it is vanishingly small. You need to use a 3rd party tool and solder onto your card. The DRM on the software flasher is locked up tight. I'm not worried about flashed Pascal cards in the slightest, I think I've seen 3 or 4 of them flashed ever and they were from hardware academic scenes, people more interested in research than making money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Kaby-G may actually be based on Polaris but branded as "Vega".

Kinda puts the whole "PS5 will release in 2018 with a Navi GPU" thing in a different light...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I called that 6 months ago when the leaked benchmarks showed Kaby-Gs GPU identifying as gfx804 (Polaris) rather than gfx900 (Vega) :v:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Oh hey I just bought one of those in the Dell XPS 15 2 in 1. My first AMD product since the 5790.

Cant wait to struggle with the driver catastrophe that thing is going to be. Other than that though I'm pretty stoked, Polaris or not.

it helps i got it for 900 dollars too

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

1gnoirents posted:

Cant wait to struggle with the driver catastrophe that thing is going to be. Other than that though I'm pretty stoked, Polaris or not.

You'll hopefully be surprised how good the drivers are now.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

lies; arctic sound is intel's new pro gaming headset that blows air on your ears to keep them cool during long wanking dota sessions

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You'll hopefully be surprised how good the drivers are now.

Yeah sorry I was unclear, I'm not 100% confident in the driver support that this special snowflake chip will receive, especially long term. Its already confusing to me at first glance, with Intel graphics drivers somehow having some "support" of the AMD GPU side of it. I was hoping at a Windows level there would be no cross touching at all. Also if the whole concept dies with this first run long term support might suffer if there is any differences between standard drivers and these things.

And while I do run into AMD driver issues constantly for other reasons, these issues always stem from using lower grade or slightly older AMD stuff. Though I think the issues I see are pretty bad and inexcusable sometimes I dont worry about AMD drivers with their higher end or at least brand new hardware much anymore.

I'm not really planning on gaming on the thing anyway though so it'll probably be just fine.

Generic Monk posted:

lies; arctic sound is intel's new pro gaming headset that blows air on your ears to keep them cool during long wanking dota sessions

:o i like this

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 6, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
As of the dev meeting today, Ethereum has decided against an emergency hard-fork to deal with ASICs.Please find redditor tears attached.

Ethereum continues to be the baseline for mining profitability, as it's continued to fall the ROI period for most hardware is now pushing up close to 1000 days. Ethereum difficulty is actually starting to drop back off, despite the flood of ASICs onto the network.

If these trends continue... ayyyy!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 6, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Paul MaudDib posted:

As of the dev meeting today, Ethereum has decided against an emergency hard-fork to deal with ASICs.Please find redditor tears attached.

Ethereum continues to be the baseline for mining profitability, as it's continued to fall the ROI period for most hardware is now pushing up close to 1000 days. Ethereum difficulty is actually starting to drop back off, despite the flood of ASICs onto the network.

If these trends continue... ayyyy!

It's a loving stupid platform with an equally dumb coding language with no beneficial use case and immense waste of electricity and computing power for the javascript 1.0 equivalent of a calculator

a raspberry pi is probably more powerful than the ethereum network

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone else have this issue? I game a lot on my 4k TV and because I only have a 1070 I'm capping games to 30fps a lot, but frame pacing is a constant issue when you do this, nothing ever actually just delivers consistent 33ms frames. Except for nvidia's half rate adaptive v-sync. And great! Cool. Problem is, it doesn't actually work for me. Anyone have an idea how I'd fix this? It's persisted through multiple driver updates too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Are you using exclusive fullscreen? I don't think half-rate vsync works with borderless windowed games.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

repiv posted:

Are you using exclusive fullscreen? I don't think half-rate vsync works with borderless windowed games.

I've tried both and couldn't get it to work. I figured borderless windowed wouldn't work with it, but I'm pretty much always using exclusive fullscreen when I have the option anyway.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

1gnoirents posted:

Oh hey I just bought one of those in the Dell XPS 15 2 in 1. My first AMD product since the 5790.

it helps i got it for 900 dollars too

Dang, where's that deal? My laptop died the other day and I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12624/nvidia-moves-fermi-to-legacy-ends-32bit-os-support

Nvidia has announced the end of driver support for Fermi effective immediately. Along with the end of support for 32-bit OSes.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally. Fermi was the last dramatic departure from their current architecture. Fermi also was never good. The obvious hope is that it can lead to better drivers for everything newer now they don't need to test those old cards. Countdown to Turing or whatever being dramatically different and obsoleting the whole Pascal/Maxwell/Kepler generations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

cat doter posted:

Anyone else have this issue? I game a lot on my 4k TV and because I only have a 1070 I'm capping games to 30fps a lot, but frame pacing is a constant issue when you do this, nothing ever actually just delivers consistent 33ms frames. Except for nvidia's half rate adaptive v-sync. And great! Cool. Problem is, it doesn't actually work for me. Anyone have an idea how I'd fix this? It's persisted through multiple driver updates too.

Nvidias driver control panel is hopelessly outdated and the stuff doesn't work on most modern games.
To enforce something like you have in mind, try rivatuner or 3D3 overrider

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

Dang, where's that deal? My laptop died the other day and I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

It was financing rewards, military 15% discount, e gift cards from dell that I had to spend in a week, a stacking of a bunch of crap, a minor coupon code for the day. The military discount is a bit obscure but its there a lot of the time, if it applies to you.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

OhFunny posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12624/nvidia-moves-fermi-to-legacy-ends-32bit-os-support

Nvidia has announced the end of driver support for Fermi effective immediately. Along with the end of support for 32-bit OSes.
It doesn't directly affect me (yet), of course, but this seems like another tick in favor of upgrading. My current video card is Fermi.

If only prices would drop a little - it sucks looking at a card for $330 that people were buying for $220 pre-crypto.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

1gnoirents posted:

It was financing rewards, military 15% discount, e gift cards from dell that I had to spend in a week, a stacking of a bunch of crap, a minor coupon code for the day. The military discount is a bit obscure but its there a lot of the time, if it applies to you.

Oh nice! I'll have to see what deals I can stack up. Even without the discount, $1050 is a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Krakkles posted:

It doesn't directly affect me (yet), of course, but this seems like another tick in favor of upgrading. My current video card is Fermi.

If only prices would drop a little - it sucks looking at a card for $330 that people were buying for $220 pre-crypto.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-G1060GX6SC-GTX-1060-GAMING/dp/B06X3TZG5K

I mean it's 300 but prices are starting to come back to earth. Two months ago that card would have been 450