Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sharkopath posted:

I'm watching it myself now to make a decision but I meant I was hoping it would be very good and generate big enthusiasm from the first episode.

The original SAO had a really good first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lobster22221 posted:

The original SAO had a really good first episode.

no it didn't

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

I don't care about this military poo poo where people don't move at 69 miles a second by repeatedly jumping and waving their heads around

e; Source excluded

I know it would really undercut dramatic tension but I really wish people did actually speak and play games in this kinda show like how they do it in life. The machine gun squad thats a bunch of big buff dudes who just fire machine guns randomly because they like the noise is way closer to what normal game players would be like than a dude that identifies every weapon by its sound and is basically playing arma with how he gives commands.

Even serious gamers have fun, me and flaps went through arma 3 and even though we were calling out compass co-ordinates and ranges as a necessity we also got into a ton of shenanigans involving vehicles and the drones you get, and had a good time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked GGO a decent bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Layton's Mystery Agency airs its first episode in a few hours and no license has been announced yet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nobunaga no Shinobi is back.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

no it didn't

Relative to the rest of the show?

Eh, its been a long time. Maybe I should go back and rewatch it. Isekai not being an absolute cliche to me at the time probably contributed to my opinion.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

I liked GGO a decent bit.

It had good comedy bits, especially the montage of teams getting one up on eachother, and the action and animation were very good. I don't like the M dude's demeanor that much though, it's a bit of a personality black hole and not super entertaining, especially when he was doing the predictions and explanations. The main character has good reactions to it though.

One especially bad scene was when the enemy team just gets to the intersection and nothing happens for like 3 minutes, so they just describe every random object around them, as a tension object it's not super compelling.

I really like that she is straight up phoon bunnyhopping though, thats always neat and exciting and I hope eventually they do a scene that is just SHE WENT FROM IVY, TO CONNECTOR

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Will Gun Gale make sense if I only watched three or four episodes of the original SAO?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Of the things I've seen thus far:

Bad:

I've genuinely enjoyed shows like Denpa Teki na Kanojo, but something about Magical Girl Shite feels rotten and I think the first episode was more than enough for me.
Comic Girls was meh, which is worse in a comedy than in a drama since there isn't so much plot or development to give a reason to follow it.

Good:

Megalo Box has got Style.
Hinamatsuri surprised me with the quality, when I was expecting an adaptation that added little to nothing to the manga.
GGO was fun and had some decent thought put into how the battle played out.
3D Kanojo is tentatively good.

Hard to have an opinion on LoGH yet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I know it would really undercut dramatic tension but I really wish people did actually speak and play games in this kinda show like how they do it in life. The machine gun squad thats a bunch of big buff dudes who just fire machine guns randomly because they like the noise is way closer to what normal game players would be like than a dude that identifies every weapon by its sound and is basically playing arma with how he gives commands.

I mean, that's all fair, but those people totally exist, they're called tryhards.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
^^^Yeah, but in these shows we're supposed to believe that almost everyone is full on "try hard" mode all the time.^^^

Sharkopath posted:

Even serious gamers have fun, me and flaps went through arma 3 and even though we were calling out compass co-ordinates and ranges as a necessity we also got into a ton of shenanigans involving vehicles and the drones you get, and had a good time.

Yeah I wish shows like this would get away from the idea that (mostly) every player in these games is roleplaying and being serious.

Give us a dude running around in boxers with just a Pan and Helmet and somehow still in first place.

Have a player just blasting bad synthpop over alltalk.

Have one of these games end with the last dude having been playing naked-pacifist by hiding in a bush.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, we did just finish an episode in which a tiny girl wearing a bright pink coat and bunny cap wins the game by hiding in a suitcase in the middle of the road before springing out and mowing down an entire squad of trained JSDF players with P-Chan The Pink P90 and some well-applied speedhacks...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Even in the same match the tone can switch from incredibly jovial joking to dead serious don't even say anything tension as people wait to see if their man left alone can get an ace. Writing that tone is hard though. Games are serious and games are fun but most important games are only as fun as the people you are playing with so it depends a lot on how you write and structure your interpersonal relationships. With a dude like M as a main cast member the show isn't gonna have the tone I really want even if fun sneaks in other ways...

We will see though. It's good but I'm a bit disappointed because I wanted something that I dont think the original source is.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Vigilantes is better but neither are my favorite shonen.

lol

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, we did just finish an episode in which a tiny girl wearing a bright pink coat and bunny cap wins the game by hiding in a suitcase in the middle of the road before springing out and mowing down an entire squad of trained JSDF players with P-Chan The Pink P90 and some well-applied speedhacks...

True, and I do like that the MC is someone who's just playing the game and not a try hard (and doesn't seem like some powergamer like Kirito with a min-maxed build).

So GGO's ahead of the curve.

Also I think they could get away with at least a few instances of voice not matching avatars. Have one of the super buff machine gun dudes sound like a 9 year old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Araki posted:

Will Gun Gale make sense if I only watched three or four episodes of the original SAO?
yes, it reintroduces what gun gale is and no main charaters from sao have appeared or will be appearing, ever

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Araki posted:

It tells you everything you need to know about the setting in the first few seconds: after SAO was beaten, the core of the VRMMO code was released to the public and now there are a ton of them out there in a bunch of different genres.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also one of the characters in the big GGO splashart piece is a friggin halo spartan and if you can be a halo spartan everybody would be a halo spartan

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i wouldn't

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also I hope the big hulking sniper dude is the smallest and cutest member of the entire cast IRL

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

i wouldn't

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah can't say I'd want to be John Halo.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

chumbler posted:

Yeah can't say I'd want to be John Halo.

Halo is a pretty cool guy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm the dude that's just Lance Bean from contra in a tanktop

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the girl dual wielding grenade launchers is badass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

the girl dual wielding grenade launchers is badass

im glad someone finally emulated my demoman playstyle

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope theres an enemy at the gates/metal gear sniper battle/romance between m and the sniper up top also

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Black jumpsuit girl is very hot

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

im glad someone finally emulated my demoman playstyle

(Voice) Yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i hope the spartan is a ten year old boy in real life

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

i think they stretched her torso too long though when they were making the composition

shes like longcat lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

considering the protag's gimmick is that she's a tall college student in real life and a tiny babbu in the game, her gimmick is probably going to be being a tiny high schooler in real life, so be prepared for that

at the same time, i agree

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

skull to ribcage is two heads, ribcage to pelivs is like 4

i dont think her arms are long enough to touch her own legs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

i mean, part of it is the angle she's leaning forward at, and that her arms are hidden behind the protag

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

considering the protag's gimmick is that she's a tall college student in real life and a tiny babbu in the game, her gimmick is probably going to be being a tiny high schooler in real life, so be prepared for that

at the same time, i agree

Of course

I quite like that the MC looks way different between IRL and her avatar, I remember chuckling a bit in the bit of SAO classic I watched where the villain makes everyone's avs look like their real selves and Kirito and like the only other named character we'd met so far basically just got slightly less spiky.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharkopath posted:

Also one of the characters in the big GGO splashart piece is a friggin halo spartan and if you can be a halo spartan everybody would be a halo spartan

There's big sci-fi armor in Splatoon and almost nobody wears it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

i mean, part of it is the angle she's leaning forward at, and that her arms are hidden behind the protag

we're also given what amounts to two vantage points I think, you're meant to view her hips and her upper body but trying to reconcile both views ends up wierd

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Nah, they are. It's a little hard to see behind the MC, but she's holding her elbows farther back than you might expect.

Her torso IS too long, tho, it's just that her arms are equally stretched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you slide the torso scale all the way up you can blend in with the trees and hide in pipes other players cant enter.

• Locked thread