Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Dezani giving a master course on how to stall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

GeneX posted:

dezani's flusterstorm game is extremely strong

Dezani's stalling game even moreso.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've got 30 of these for my Olivia edh deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If you really want to get into someone's head over basic lands, you gotta play these: https://scryfall.com/sets/phuk/

Star Man fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 8, 2018

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Dezani's stalling game even moreso.

oh definitely but it was incredible

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would still be a 5/5 that could cause scrying and life loss.

Unless they are playing other zombies, and those would only come naturally from Liliana tokens. And it wouldn't come back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Unless they are playing other zombies, and those would only come naturally from Liliana tokens. And it wouldn't come back.

It still cost you a card to get it that way and the rest of their deck is still on a midrange grind plan.

It would be a pretty suboptimal angle of attack.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's like bringing in Rest in Peace to stop some other oppressive cresture. Like say, Deathrite Shaman. It's so bad if they don't draw it and it's not even that good if they do.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

It still cost you a card to get it that way and the rest of their deck is still on a midrange grind plan.

It would be a pretty suboptimal angle of attack.

Being able to shut off alot of the value of the God, Champion of Wits, and a Gearhulk seems like a concession I would make for a potentially dead card to Gonti and Siphoner beats. Those are things that I can deal with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just got my Arena invite finally! About time, I've only had an MTGO account since literally day one

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Lmao I literally wandered into my LGS with a UW approach precon and took down the store championship tournament that I didn't even know was a thing in an incredibly dumb series of events that involved some dude giving me a free 2-0 instead of actually dropping from the tournament and me winning two mirror matches against real Approach decks. I'm convinced that I've either become much much better at playing magic or everyone at my local shop is loving trash. I guess I'll always have a Teferi playmat to remember this unfathomably dumb tournament.

Anyway now that i've "tested out" my UW approach precon I figured I'd ask people about the deck's current place in the meta and what it will look like next standard based on the Dominaria Spoilers. Personally I've got my eye on Teferi, Syncopate and Seal Away as excellent additions to the deck but I don't know if those will be enough to bring it up to a real competitive level.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Anyway now that i've "tested out" my UW approach precon I figured I'd ask people about the deck's current place in the meta and what it will look like next standard based on the Dominaria Spoilers. Personally I've got my eye on Teferi, Syncopate and Seal Away as excellent additions to the deck but I don't know if those will be enough to bring it up to a real competitive level.

Those are all great cards that improve it for sure, but it still has the problem where it loses to a timely Duress or Negate. It'll probably have better results than it did in the Rivals format, but still not make it over the hump to tier 1.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I was thinking of playing some standard, and God-Pharaoh's Gift looks like a cheap deck... except for the Walking Ballista. Why is that card so expensive? Is it really that good? Every deck plays 4 copies and they're like $11 apiece

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

A Moose posted:

So, I was thinking of playing some standard, and God-Pharaoh's Gift looks like a cheap deck... except for the Walking Ballista. Why is that card so expensive? Is it really that good? Every deck plays 4 copies and they're like $11 apiece

It's used in modern

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Those are all great cards that improve it for sure, but it still has the problem where it loses to a timely Duress or Negate. It'll probably have better results than it did in the Rivals format, but still not make it over the hump to tier 1.

Play UW Cycling like me. If the Approach doesn't kill them the Drakes will.

And to continue my anti-Scarab God rant, this is not me being angry about losing, I went 3-1 against those decks. I just hate playing against them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Perhaps it would be worth diversifying the win conditions for the deck. Sure they can duress or negate the approach but if they have to split their attention between Approach and another wincon then it strains that resources pretty badly.

Maybe you could merge it with the existing UB Control deck? Scarab God+Approach could do some solid work, and with the rest of the checklands entering standard a three color manabase would be more sustainable.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

A Moose posted:

value cards that can be played in literally every deck are always overly expensive.

Get ready for Karn to cast a billion dollars

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So do all mythic legendary creatures get a special animation where they jump out of the card in MTGA? Elenda only gets a big rose but I've seen Scarab God and Vona.

Probably should bug report how all of Liliana's voice lines are obscured by the sound effects forget abilities going off. The flourishes like that are great though, it's all pretty slick, though will be interesting to see how it feel played best of three with sideboards. Also that its like a new format and so far I'm playing against less refined decks playing on higher curves and without full players of rare cards. I didn't mind Kaladesh but this does seem to have gotten ride of some nonsense.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 8, 2018

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

So do all mythic legendary creatures get a special animation where they jump out of the card in MTGA? Elenda only gets a big rose but I've seen Scarab God and Vona.

Probably should bug report how all of Liliana's voice lines are obscured by the sound effects forget abilities going off. The flourishes like that are great though, it's all pretty slick, though will be interesting to see how it feel played best of three with sideboards. Also that its like a new format and so far I'm playing against less refined decks playing on higher curves and without full players of rare cards. I didn't mind Kaladesh but this does seem to have gotten ride of some nonsense.

The game has an amazing bug where planeswalker voice lines happen seemingly at random after they leave play. I hope they never fix it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
20 DRS in the top 8 of this GP. BAN IT.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I feel more annoyed that there are two Miracles decks in the top eight.

I want Maverick to win it. nevermind

Star Man fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 8, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Played at a PPTQ yesterday. Played Scarab God in 4 of 5 rounds.

They should put Rest in Peace in Dominaria.

Silent Gravestone is in my GPG sideboard and it is great

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

mcmagic posted:

20 DRS in the top 8 of this GP. BAN IT.

It's getting the axe after this weekend for sure

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A Moose posted:

Why is that card so expensive? Every deck plays 4 copies

You just answered your own question :kiddo:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You can't just ban DRS. Stop mcmagic'ing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

You can't just ban DRS. Stop mcmagic'ing.

Yes you can?

They can get rid of it in like 2 weeks if they want to

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Great, I can't get through more than one match in Arena without my laptop shutting down from overheating.

And it looks like quite a few people have this problem. :thumbsup:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

precision posted:

Great, I can't get through more than one match in Arena without my laptop shutting down from overheating.

And it looks like quite a few people have this problem. :thumbsup:

Old man Mcnotcomputerguy here, my janky laptop is not doing this, what are you whippersnappers doing to your boxes???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PleasantDirge posted:

Old man Mcnotcomputerguy here, my janky laptop is not doing this, what are you whippersnappers doing to your boxes???

I have no idea, but other games that should be far more resource-intensive have never made it shut down. Apparently the latest patch made it a lot more CPU/GPU intensive.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes you can?

Nah, Toshimo is right. Take Griselbrand,Chalice of the Void and Gitaxian Probe with it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes you can?

I mean, DRS keeps a lot of poo poo in line. It's not a simple ban like top or some rando goblin. It's a format-altering change.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Remember when we used to play Tarmogoyf in Legacy?

Good times. Good times.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I mean, DRS keeps a lot of poo poo in line. It's not a simple ban like top or some rando goblin. It's a format-altering change.

Ah yes, a simple ban like Top that turned the format into Deathrite, midrange pile central.

Star Man posted:

Remember when we used to play Tarmogoyf in Legacy?

Good times. Good times.

:rip: RUG Delver, the only deck I've ever been good at or liked

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

suicidesteve posted:

Ah yes, a simple ban like Top that turned the format into Deathrite, midrange pile central.

:laffo:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

:rip: RUG Delver, the only deck I've ever been good at or liked

On second thought, I hope Deathrite Shaman stays in the format forever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Unban Deathrite Shaman in Modern I’m sure it would be fine

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Who okayed a black ramp creature anyway? (w/o life loss)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Everybody wanted a 1 Mana Planeswalker and then all you do is cry when they give it to you.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ban drs unban survival.

Also hearty congratulations to my boy Daniel for taking the whole thing down and showing those pros you can't just come on to our turf and expect to roll over the Seattle locals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Perhaps it would be worth diversifying the win conditions for the deck. Sure they can duress or negate the approach but if they have to split their attention between Approach and another wincon then it strains that resources pretty badly.

Maybe you could merge it with the existing UB Control deck? Scarab God+Approach could do some solid work, and with the rest of the checklands entering standard a three color manabase would be more sustainable.

Even more than stopping Approach, it's about stopping a critical wrath or counterspell or exile effect.