Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Skwirl posted:

I'm going to just say it, if you are a TERF you aren't actually a feminist.

Better people than me have made this point (or similar), but if you exclude any kind of women from your brand of feminism then you're not looking to break the whatever social forces oppress women, you're just trying to extend their supremacy to yourself and your chosen few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

check out my Youtube posted:

Better people than me have made this point (or similar), but if you exclude any kind of women from your brand of feminism then you're not looking to break the whatever social forces oppress women, you're just trying to extend their supremacy to yourself and your chosen few.

Lol that’s insanely dumb.

Because that describes terfs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Isn't it easier to just accept that some brands of feminism are not perfect?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

accept the oppressors or else you're an oppressor yourself

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tolerate my intolerance indeed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

accept the oppressors or else you're an oppressor yourself

But the rules don’t apply to them for reason?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Exactly?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Isn't it easier to just accept that some brands of feminism are not perfect?

Not perfect makes it sound like they just have this little problem. TERFS are lovely feminists if anything.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

there wolf posted:

Not perfect makes it sound like they just have this little problem. TERFS are lovely feminists if anything.

Fine, then some feminists are lovely. This whole "no true feminist" thing is getting stale. :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fine, then some feminists are lovely. This whole "no true feminist" thing is getting stale. :shrug:

I think it’s fair to call a group that specifically excludes certain women from the movement non feminist is pretty fair.

Unless you have something to say about trans women.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it's more widely defined as if your feminist doesn't leave room for intersectionality then your motivations are probably way off.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

CharlestheHammer posted:

By your response I dunno if I was being unclear so to make a short story long: I am not saying Skwirl is wrong for excluding TERFs, I am agreeing with Skwirl that TERFs aren't feminists. TERFs aren't looking to end the oppression of women they just want to align cis women with the oppressors.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

By your response I dunno if I was being unclear so to make a short story long: I am not saying Skwirl is wrong for excluding TERFs, I am agreeing with Skwirl that TERFs aren't feminists. TERFs aren't looking to end the oppression of women they just want to align cis women with the oppressors.

That’s fair, I thought you were using it as a defense of Terfs as I have seen it used before.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I did not mean to start this when I posted that reply.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I went from never having heard the term TERF ever in my life to reading it every 5 posts on this site now. Did someone on a podcast everyone listens to say it and now its the buzzword of the moment or something?

I'm not saying the term is useless or anything, but seeing it so often now after never reading on here before just seems so weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

I went from never having heard the term TERF ever in my life to reading it every 5 posts on this site now. Did someone on a podcast every listens to say it and now its the buzzword of the moment or something?

I'm not saying the term is useless or anything, but seeing it so often now after never reading on here before just seems so weird.

It just means a feminist who hates trans people.

Of course you are gonna here it more as trans issues become more focused on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it’s fair to call a group that specifically excludes certain women from the movement non feminist is pretty fair.

Unless you have something to say about trans women.

I don't think it's fair to rule out whole swaths of feminists as feminists because I don't approve of what they think of or how they treat trans women (and trans men, if they even acknowledge them). I think it's an attempt to whittle down terms like "feminist" into strictly positive but almost one-dimensional identities when the real history and present of it are way more complicated.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think it's fair to rule out whole swaths of feminists as feminists because I don't approve of what they think of or how they treat trans women (and trans men, if they even acknowledge them). I think it's an attempt to whittle down terms like "feminist" into strictly positive but almost one-dimensional identities when the real history and present of it are way more complicated.

Lol what the gently caress is this. Did you just apply the confederate argument to feminism.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s fair, I thought you were using it as a defense of Terfs as I have seen it used before.

I mean TERFs aren't excluded from intersectional feminism and they're free to reap the benefits, they just might not get to police who is or isn't a woman or campaign against the human rights of women. We all have to make small concessions in life.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I mean TERFs aren't excluded from intersectional feminism and they're free to reap the benefits, they just might not get to police who is or isn't a woman or campaign against the human rights of women. We all have to make small concessions in life.

So what, you're going to erase any progress made by a feminist like, I don't know, Gloria Steinem just because she's a TERF? What's next, pretending the suffragettes did nothing because many of their leaders in the US were bigots?

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So what, you're going to erase any progress made by a feminist like, I don't know, Gloria Steinem just because she's a TERF? What's next, pretending the suffragettes did nothing because many of their leaders in the US were bigots?

Are you doing a bit? This is kind of embarrassing to watch.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:rolleyes:

Here's some idiocy on social media: people trying to carsplain to William Shatner:
https://twitter.com/quadraticadder/status/982799064054972416
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/982799632567644160
https://twitter.com/Moto_TowDaytona/status/982801006953148416
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/982802197833371648

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Should we know that William Shatner is good at cars? Not checking Wikipedia...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Cavenagh posted:

They're really very different. Canadian Bacon is cylindrical. Back Bacon is the natural shape of the loin plus some belly. Back Bacon is a rasher, Canadian Bacon is a slice of lean ham.

In a desperate attempt to get away from TERF Chat:

Canadian bacon is literally made from back bacon. It's the eye of the loin, which is the big thick chunk of muscle in back bacon. If you go to "Canadian bacon" on Wikipedia it redirects to back bacon.

Like, I get that they're not the same thing, but claiming they're unrelated is just wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

It's more that after the first time he rolled his eyes at someone explaining this to him, they should have gotten the hint. BUT NOPE

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
You can get an English bacon sandwich at Tea and Sympathy in New York. Also beans on toast and other English teatime things.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Shatner getting fake geek girl tested is my new favorite internet thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m a terf exclusionary radical feminist

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yeah, I’m the most lacking in car knowledge person on the planet and I could tell you what gullwing and suicide doors are. What dummies.

AlbieQuirky posted:

You can get an English bacon sandwich at Tea and Sympathy in New York. Also beans on toast and other English teatime things.

Enough to make me consider a trip back to nyc. I’ll hold the baked beans tho.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

We should 🔫🔪😤😤kill off ☠☠ all the 👨‍👨‍👦 men 👨‍👨‍👦 and the ❌😭non😡👿-feminists 💁💁 and then ✔️use all the 💦💦😘 sperm 😍💦💦 from the 💦 sperm 💦🏦💸🏧banks💰💵 to 👩‍👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧 repopulate 👩‍👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧 and then the 🔮 future 📅 👶🏿 generation 👶🏼 will have been ⬆️raised⬆️ solely by 💁💁women💁💁 and we will have 💯created💯 a 🙅🏼feminist🙅🏿utopia 🇺🇸FREE🇺🇸🎉 from 👉👌gently caress 👌👈 👱boys👱

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I know what suicide booths are. No clue about suicide doors.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/982834124506501120

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

If you look up the definition of a wet sponge in a dictionary his profile picture would be the first reference image listed

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More commentary on idiocy on social media, but...

https://twitter.com/whilefun/status/982290104440901635

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

As the winner of the argument by forfeit I'll claim the prize of last word.

...mods?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
"Alas this will never be reality because of my inceldom"
Dude has a real good handle on cause and effect.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*in a matrixy voice* "whoa is me"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

We should 🔫🔪😤😤kill off ☠☠ all the 👨‍👨‍👦 men 👨‍👨‍👦 and the ❌😭non😡👿-feminists 💁💁 and then ✔️use all the 💦💦😘 sperm 😍💦💦 from the 💦 sperm 💦🏦💸🏧banks💰💵 to 👩‍👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧 repopulate 👩‍👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧 and then the 🔮 future 📅 👶🏿 generation 👶🏼 will have been ⬆️raised⬆️ solely by 💁💁women💁💁 and we will have 💯created💯 a 🙅🏼feminist🙅🏿utopia 🇺🇸FREE🇺🇸🎉 from 👉👌gently caress 👌👈 👱boys👱

Honestly, not the worst idea I've heard today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › Idiots on Social Media: Oh whoa is me :,(