Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Every 2x2 4 panel comic is a loss edit, just accept it already.

The Comic With A Thousand Faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Don't dox my shift pattern, please

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

Don't dox my shift pattern, please

I guess you'll just have to move past it, and heel-toe

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Double post because it's been nearly a day so gently caress it. Pretty sure this came from reddit, whatever. It brings me great joy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:shucks:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's beautiful

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

joat mon posted:

Grind out the easy out?

Lmao

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

joat mon posted:

Close, a 7.5L 2 valve that spent it's first 15+ years in the salty winters of western North Carolina.

Now what? Grind out the easy out? Weld a nut or bolt onto it? Thermite?

Buy a time machine, then go back and tell yourself not to.

EZ outs, in my admittedly limited experience, are for bolts that aren't stuck but which have lost their heads for some other reason. For stuff that's sheared and stuck, I'd recommend a shitload of heat and a counter-rotating drill bit. That doesn't help you now.

EDM is the fastest and easiest way to get it out. Further down the list is getting a punch and shattering it, then picking out the pieces with clay/plasticine on the end of a wire. Wear eye protection; not messing you about here, you need to be wearing impact rated eyewear (not snow goggles, spectacles, painter's glasses).

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 6, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

IPCRESS posted:

Buy a time machine, then go back and tell yourself not to.

EZ outs, in my admittedly limited experience, are for bolts that aren't stuck but which have lost their heads for some other reason. For stuff that's sheared and stuck, I'd recommend a shitload of heat and a counter-rotating drill bit. That doesn't help you now.

EDM is the fastest and easiest way to get it out. Further down the list is getting a punch and shattering it deliberately, then picking out the pieces with clay/plasticine on the end of a wire. Wear eyepro.

For those of you not in machining, playing electronic dance music will not get this bolt out, but Electrical Discharge Machining will.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can you dissolve it with Alum?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BloodBag posted:

For those of you not in machining, playing electronic dance music will not get this bolt out, but Electrical Discharge Machining will.

I don't know, I bet 1,000,000 watts of electronic dance music might do the job.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Can you dissolve it with Alum?

I think alum is for when you have a ferrous object stuck in an aluminum object, which isn't the case here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At this point I think you probably need to pull the head anyway, so may as well either do it on a bench or palm it off onto someone else to fix.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Double post because it's been nearly a day so gently caress it. Pretty sure this came from reddit, whatever. It brings me great joy.

Laugh now but this guy's gonna be a millionaire when he finally figures out his intelligent multi-tracking axle system with 4 wheel steering and real-time weight management features.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya man he’s just in “drive-thru” mode.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Honestly I'm just amazed that it's mostly level considering suspension components are dragging on the ground.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Breakfast Feud posted:

Laugh now but this guy's gonna be a millionaire when he finally figures out his intelligent multi-tracking axle system with 4 wheel steering and real-time weight management features.
Michelle Jenneke: Now in truck form!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Honestly I'm just amazed that it's mostly level considering suspension components are dragging on the ground.

He has’t hit a pothole yet

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That truck isn't hitting anything because it's stranded in the suicide lane where it rolled to a stop when the suspension fell apart.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

InitialDave posted:

Michelle Jenneke: Now in truck form!

The best google search.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

The best google search.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKm160Qcnqs

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://giant.gfycat.com/UnrealisticWelltodoIndianhare.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Are those the pistons falling out?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, we know it had oil in it when it failed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wesleywillis posted:

Are those the pistons falling out?

Head with cylinders and turbos/intake manifold/exhaust manifold still attached, separated off the bottom end.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I like what it did to the hood

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BlackMK4 posted:

Head with cylinders and turbos/intake manifold/exhaust manifold still attached, separated off the bottom end.

Soooooo....... They came out the bottom end then?

Its hard to tell without it being slowed down. For me anyway.:downsgun:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

wesleywillis posted:

Soooooo....... They came out the bottom end then?

Its hard to tell without it being slowed down. For me anyway.:downsgun:

It's likely that most of the pistons are still attached to the crank and were therefore just flapping around in the diesel smoke breeze for a little while. I think the round things you saw falling out of the sky were likely rings and perhaps cylinder liners.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I definitely saw a con rod go flying.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
They should definitely record each pull at multiple zoom levels and/or angles

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I need multiple thousand per second frame rates

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I need multiple thousand per second frame rates

Yeah someone needs to get one of the 300 "SLOW MO poo poo" youtubers to quit shooting predictable events and start recording tractor pulls and top fuel races until they catch an engine explosion on video.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/Lm_2h44vMv4

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That driver's reaction time is a hell of a thing to watch when you focus on the front wheels.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BloodBag posted:

That driver's reaction time is a hell of a thing to watch when you focus on the front wheels.

that whole video :stare:

It's amazing he recovered from the very first deviation that was almost 90 degree off axis. The beefy rear tire deflected to the rim. That frame flex....

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Hello friends!

Finishing up my degree at one of our military proving grounds here for a few more months. Sadly no pictures allowed but here is a good story.

I enjoy to participate in all kinds of test drives there but its a paperwork nightmare to prepare a "passenger ride" and the drivers usually take that drat serious... so after a while i asked around why that is so strictly governed.

Turns out that of course there were accidents leading to that.

The worst story i heard was a group of (former) officers paying the site a visit who got around to witness one of our MBTs drifting over a wet concrete circle at the end of one of our test tracks.

The concrete was wet because it was raining like hell and the officers took some shelter in our version of an MRAP that they used to get on the test track parked on the outside of the concrete roundabout.

one of the officers decided to go out and have a smoke with the Tank still running its circles over the conrete roundabout after each lap on the track and he decided to see "how close" he can get to the tank while it squeels its rubber blocked tracks over the concrete.

Long story short the Tank driver missed the apex as the rain increased and swung the rear end out a bit too far, squeezing the officers body in half between the 70 ton tank and the 10 ton MRAP.

Since then taking passengers and non test related personel to the tracks is a bit...firmer... regulated.

Also on the topic of Gearbox efficiency.

i saw 2 topics regarding the high efficieny of the 4th gear and why we dont do that on top gear.... let me answer that quickly.

there is a distinct difference between a 1:1 Gear ratio and a Direct gear. a direct gear is a thing that you only find in longitudinal transmissions (RWD) with concentric input and output shafts.
These gearboxes are of a 3 shaft design ("Vorgelegeschaltgetriebe" in German) with an Input, output and Countershaft. The Torque Flow usually goes from the Input to the Countershaft and from the Countershaft to the output shaft, with a fixed ration between the input and countershaft and the shifting gears between the countershaft and the output shaft.

these transmissions offer a Synchronized sleeve to be shifted over the input and output shaft, locking them together as a direct gear (4th Gear)

because the Torque flow does not go over any kind of gear meshing now (a straight gear mesh is up to 99% effective, helical gears lower depending on the angle, usually 98% in manual Transmissions) you increase the efficiency by 2-5 percent usually.

The reason we do not use these kind of direct gears for the highest gear is because what you make faster in the gearbox, you need to make slower in the final drive.

Due to the nature of the final drive, its ratio is directly coupled to its size (through the radius of the crown gear) and using a relatively fast 1:1 direct gear means you have to use a bigger crown gear in your differential which can worsen the efficiency, increase package size and the like.

aditionally, you will have to adress all the other gear combinations in your transmission too if you decide to change the final drive to have the top gear a direct gear.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 8, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the captain of my tub.

joat mon posted:

Close, a 7.5L 2 valve that spent it's first 15+ years in the salty winters of western North Carolina.

Now what? Grind out the easy out? Weld a nut or bolt onto it? Thermite?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
HE IS RISEN

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Shut your lying whore mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009