Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I would say this is triggering my satire detector but my brain informs me that satire does not exist in 2018 nor has satire ever existed.

P sure the base image is from when DADT was repealed under Obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

darthbob88 posted:

Having a hard time confirming, but supposedly the waiting time for an Indian national to get a green card is around 90-110 years, just based on how long the queue is.

This is a little misleading, because it doesn't appear to consider that many people will have filed more than one petition, so very likely some of those people in line are in fact duplicates of the same person.

To explain: when you get 'in line' for a green card, it is based on a specific employer and position. That gives you your spot in line, where you wait until you are able to file for your green card. However, because the wait is so long, many people can't simply sit there - their company might go out of business, they might get fired, or maybe after five years they are due to move up in the company or to another offer. This can be done, but it means you can no longer use that original petition that gave you your spot. The new employer - or even the same employer offering you a new job - has to file a new petition for you. Fortunately, you can keep your old spot in line when the new petition is processed, so you don't exactly start all over. But this means that if someone originally gets 'in line' in 2008 as a Software Developer, ten years later they may have had one or more additional applications filed for them as a Senior Developer, Project Lead, etc. But USCIS doesn't have any easy way to sort and eliminate those old petitions - they remain 'in line' until they become current and someone can file, and when someone does they can eliminate the duplicates, but not before then.

Having said that, the wait time is still onerous. We are currently processing green card applications for people who started the process in 2008, and the line doesn't move rapidly - at the beginning of the year it was people who had started in November 22, 2008, and it's currently people who started on December 22, 2008, so in three months the line has only advanced one month. We effectively have no real idea how long people are supposed to wait, except that it's probably longer than ten years. That is ten years after you start the process, and for many people that means they have already been in the US for several years as students and then as nonimmigrant workers before they get a sponsor.

And this is for people who have either an advanced degree or a bachelors degree and considerable experience (5+ years) and a company sponsoring them. If you are, for example, someone with an associates degree in Mexico, there is simply no line available to you - because you would have to find a company in the US prepared to sponsor you, and they would have to show that there is no US worker qualified and available to take the position. There simply isn't a line for you to join at any wait.

Incidentally, that isn't even the worst category to be in. The biggest backlog is for siblings of adult US citizens where the person is from the Philippines - it is currently backlogged to December 15, 1994, which means that in order to be processing your green card application today, your sibling would have had to file for you almost 25 years ago. Imagine that, if you had requested permission for your brother or sister to join you in America as soon as they were born, and they would be finishing university before they could actually be interviewed at the consulate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if you're in the military you have to do your make up more green/brown and in big stripes, god.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SSNeoman posted:

I've noticed gay-bashing memes are trying to make a comeback.

Did no one tell them that the "gay earring" is only supposed to be on one ear, what kind of amateur bigots are they

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If they let you have a goatee I bet 50% of soldiers/sailors would be for this change.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

tigersklaw posted:

Ask him what “THE CORRECT WAY” means. I’m gonna assume he thinks immigration is a super simple process

The ironic thing is that one of my best friends moved here from Egypt about 12 years ago, got her masters and then doctorate. The process she's going through right now to get a green card (employer sponsored) is absolutely insane and without the backing of a private university behind her, it would be impossible.

He is aware of this and I've tried to explain it countless times. It's great though because she's MUSLIM and educated and is exactly the type of person he's afraid of so joke's on him.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

There's, uh... a lot to unpackage here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

seiferguy posted:

There's, uh... a lot to unpackage here.

I think this one is more interesting than a lot of them because it’s on the right track but it’s not all the way there. Instead of comparing Silicon Valley robber barons, it would be better if they realized that they’re all actually trash.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Though now that I think of it Scorpio actually seemed to treat his employees well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Though now that I think of it Scorpio actually seemed to treat his employees well.

Hank Scorpio was literally a parody of these types. Just earlier iterations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lightning Knight posted:

I think this one is more interesting than a lot of them because it’s on the right track but it’s not all the way there. Instead of comparing Silicon Valley robber barons, it would be better if they realized that they’re all actually trash.

I can kind of agree with it, honestly. Putting aside the obvious absurd classism, it's basically saying "do fun stuff, not evil stuff". It would probably be better if Musk's was about SpaceX or something, but whatever.

Although this does make me realize that I have never heard of Musk doing anything that wouldn't make him money, cool or not. Plus he is way into centrist bullshit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Elon Musk is not the techno-messiah he's painted as.

He's a fairly bog standard lovely capitalist, he just happens to have turned his attention on cool things like space travel and electric cars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lol if you think that the capitalist mode of production is not inherently evil

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

1stGear posted:

He's a fairly bog standard lovely capitalist, he just happens to have turned his attention on cool things like space travel and electric cars.

he's great at capturing the hearts of tech-minded first worlders by hooking into their dead midcentury dreams of self driving cars and martian settlement

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

lol if you think that the capitalist mode of production is not inherently evil

When the capitalists have enough money it will eventually start trickling down to the workers.

Or they will just eat it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

1stGear posted:

Just to add to the bog standard lovely capitalist profile, he of course has zero issues pulling the ladder up behind him.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Not so much pulled the ladder up behind him as much as always trying to oppress the underclass since he's a South African whose family owned diamond mines during apartheid.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

duz posted:

Not so much pulled the ladder up behind him as much as always trying to oppress the underclass since he's a South African whose family owned diamond mines during apartheid.

Elon Musk is like an onion, there’s layers to his repulsiveness.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

1stGear posted:

In an effort to prevent unionization efforts, hes gonna build a roller coaster around the factory??? :psyduck:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Katt posted:

When the capitalists have enough money it will eventually start trickling down to the workers.

Or they will just eat it.

If it makes you feel better, these stories are always more accurately described as "rich people tricked into eating $0.25 of gold leaf at 100000% markup".

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dilb posted:

If it makes you feel better, these stories are always more accurately described as "rich people tricked into eating $0.25 of gold leaf at 100000% markup".

It looks like it's pretty well covered in gold leaf, but at most of the value of the gold is probably less than the price of just a regular pizza slice.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mark Zuckerberg, for all his issues and how weird he is, at least treats his employees better than Elon Musk does at Tesla. When faced with a production shortage, must just shrugs his shoulders and tries to Union bust. Facebook was ranked the best place to work by Glassdoor, even if all the workers there are basically cult minded.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dilb posted:

I'd feel better if the profit didn't just go to another rich person in turn.

To me it demonstrates how rich people would rather burn money than risk helping anyone with it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Elon Musk is like an onion, there’s layers to his repulsiveness.

onions are great, dont insult onions

for dinner i had chicken slow roasted with shallots and garlic caramelized to the point that you could spread them on bread like butter. gently caress out of here with this anti-onion talk

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I don't know why I even bothered trying... my cousin (the OP) has posted plenty of other dumb poo poo like this in the past and I just rolled my eyes and scrolled on, but today I touched the poop. (I'm Kerry Oaky)

I really should just unfollow and let my life be that much better.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

boner confessor posted:

for dinner i had chicken slow roasted with shallots and garlic caramelized to the point that you could spread them on bread like butter. gently caress out of here with this anti-onion talk

Are you saying to eat the rich?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ChaseSP posted:

Are you saying to eat the rich?

Sautéed with onions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Sautéed with onions.

why do you hate onions so much. god drat guy

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

taiyoko posted:

I don't know why I even bothered trying... my cousin (the OP) has posted plenty of other dumb poo poo like this in the past and I just rolled my eyes and scrolled on, but today I touched the poop. (I'm Kerry Oaky)

I really should just unfollow and let my life be that much better.

At that point yeah I'd probably just troll them for shits and giggles because you probably aren't going to convince them that taxes are legal. Tell them it makes you really happy when you drive on public roads or eat USDA inspected meat because you are driving on and eating their stolen money.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 8, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

boner confessor posted:

why do you hate onions so much. god drat guy

Excuse me, the rich sautéed with onions sounds delicious. :colbert:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I love the guy who's complaining that he set up his w2 with no withholding and somehow has to pay taxes come April.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I love the guy who's complaining that he set up his w2 with no withholding and somehow has to pay taxes come April.

I caught that too.

We just need to eliminate tax filing and do it all automatically. Can you imagine the angst if the responsibility for paying sales taxes laid on the purchaser once a year instead of on the seller at every transaction?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ooooookay two things.

1) No it's not, it's Dylan Schumaker a guy who killed his kid cause he wouldn't stop crying

and

2) what the gently caress???

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SSNeoman posted:

Ooooookay two things.

1) No it's not, it's Dylan Schumaker a guy who killed his kid cause he wouldn't stop crying

and

No, no, no. Didn't you read the macro?
It clearly says he was arrested for killing the evil brown person who raped his sister.

You think someone would just post misleading and racist bullshit on the internet like that?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

Unlike the rich onions actually nourish poor people.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SSNeoman posted:

Ooooookay two things.

and

I see that the people who make pro-Batman memes are branching out.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lightning Knight posted:

Excuse me, the rich sautéed with onions sounds delicious. :colbert:

Mmm, marbled with fat, little lean meat... kobe beef essentially.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

otoh it might turn out that capitalism works like kuru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mo_Steel posted:

At that point yeah I'd probably just troll them for shits and giggles because you probably aren't going to convince them that taxes are legal. Tell them it makes you really happy when you drive on public roads or eat USDA inspected meat because you are driving on and eating their stolen money.
Or go down the anarchist route and say if taxation is theft then so is property, because their property was almost certainly bought from someone who got it from someone who inherited it from someone who stole it in the name of some king or state or government. The name of the original thief is probably even somewhere on the title deed, and everyone knows that selling stolen property is still theft. And who enforces those deeds anyway? Probably a bunch of armed men swearing allegiance to some illegitimate construct. Sounds pretty violent.
So yeah, sort that poo poo out first and then maybe we deal with the tax thing.

OwlFancier posted:

otoh it might turn out that capitalism works like kuru.
Capitalism being a brain prion sounds too logical and straightforward.