Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/bh7lhoW.gifv

Real big dad's dog.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There were two glimmers of hope for this series. The rest, was clevin.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Who is the Eternal hope of pasta

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
As you, both know, I, your, son, am, a telepath.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

To be fair that's a better plot development than I expected but wow, that's a hum dinger of a line.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Attached to a different story, where this came after like... slowly working through his issues. Getting him to open up.

This scene would be really good (except for that one line).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flesh Forge posted:

To be fair that's a better plot development than I expected but wow, that's a hum dinger of a line.

Reading through:
Good
good
urgh gently caress why do you have to poo poo it up.

Even the clichest ending to that: "Die", would have been better. Hell a 'Do not think of me, your son died when you thought of murdering him' would be good too.
It's like everyone can't have agency unless they are Alison or a villain.
Now it's going into the even more tired cliche that after this he gets verbally berated by his mother and he ends up killing her anyway, he's been tapped directly into their thoughts and all he can muster is that simpering pissant of a line.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Oh no, Patrick's turning into a Clevin. Next he will make his parents pasta so they will like him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
See, that last line could work if he had any happy memories with his family. Because this is a painfully interesting character moment that is lost in a bad story.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
It sort of works. If he can't escape his parent's bad vibes, and he doesn't want to kill them, the best he can do is ask them to think happy thoughts.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
otoh, didn't he create the barrier to deal with this kind of problem?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It seems unlikely that you will return to believing that I simply drowned after rolling out of mother's car.

One of the main problems with this comic is that Mulligan isn't suited to writing genre dialogue at all. He either relies on cliches or these tortured expressions to wring some character out of stock types. If he was just writing about lesbian girlfriends talking about regular stuff, it still wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't be quite so annoying.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 6, 2018

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I kind of prefer the idea that he stick with boring straight couples and not try to show how woke he is personally. It seems to be very poor.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 6, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm kinda liking this scene, but the dialogue is atrocious.

Also wow he does not resemble either of his parents in the slightest. If he's not supposed to be adopted that's bad character design.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It seriously annoys me that the artist seems to think that tear ducts are on the outer edge of the eye.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

My favorite part of this comic is that there's always this tiny glimmer of potential in there. Like, I almost want to believe that after Patrick inevitably stabs his parents for not thinking like he wants them to think it will be contrasted with Allison repeatedly using physical violence against people for not thinking like she wants them to think, but then this is also SFP so it'll inevitably end with Allison being portrayed as the better, more moral person again.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Even the line itself wouldn't be awful in a better story attached to a better character. Like if he had been shown to have any emotion other than fear and contempt for his parents it would make sense. But he regularly hangs out with a dude who decapitates people whenever he hugs them, and exploits everyone around him, so he can't really by assumed by the audience to have all that much sentimentality or regard for human life.

Like I could imagine a young Professor X going to his parents after being kicked out or abandoned and he made a name for himself and wanted to go back to them to plead with them that he still cared for them and that their constant loathing for him was a constant and very real burden to him.

But this is just Patrick loudly making GBS threads his pants for no reason.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

pospysyl posted:

It seems unlikely that you will return to believing that I simply drowned after rolling out of mother's car.

One of the main problems with this comic is that Mulligan isn't suited to writing genre dialogue at all. He either relies on cliches or these tortured expressions to wring some character out of stock types. If he was just writing about lesbian girlfriends talking about regular stuff, it still wouldn't be great, but it wouldn't be quite so annoying.

It makes me hear all the character's lines in the voice of Hayden Christensen.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
new solution: throw sand at patrick

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

It seriously annoys me that the artist seems to think that tear ducts are on the outer edge of the eye.

That and the way the mom’s eyes escape the edge of her head in panel 2 annoys me. It’s all so rushed looking. I get the point of economizing your art to a point if you have to make a lot of it, but I can’t imagine she cares at this point. Like with all webcomics ever, since it’s free and there will always be enough people to praise even the smallest amount of effort, why bother improving.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why is he talking in Lazy Exposition Dialog? We already saw those things! We know what happened! The reader doesn't need to be awkwardly reminded that Patrick is a psychic; it is the premise of the story!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
He talks like the architect from Matrix: Reloaded. I'm waiting for him to drop an ipso facto ergo.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I would have been less disgusted if he had just killed them

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

I would have been less disgusted if he had just killed them
Yes because he's got no reason to believe them changing their minds about him can happen given the attempted murder of him when he was just an annoying kid. Maybe this is supposed to show that even as a supervillain he was just that scared, needy kid deep down, but like... I thought this took place after he'd compartmentalized away his love for his parents, so what's stopping him from just shanking them? At least one of even arguably deserves it, or has been presented to the audience as deserving it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If it's a tearful, therapeutic reconciliation, why is it locked behind the door? Unless Tuesday's comic is going to be them attacking him and he kills them in self-defense because Patrick can't look like the bad guy in that situation.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

tomorrow, Patrick will kill his parents (in his mind) and it'll all be Allison's fault! the comic will redeem itself!! this is going to happen!!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

four months from now, Patrick will kill his parents (in his mind) and it'll all be Allison's fault! the comic will redeem itself!! this is going to happen!!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the louis wain progression of schizophrenia thing but it's real and the art just gets blander

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Can't believe Patrick's dad is Clevin.

EDIT: I mean, if we're going to talk about 'the worship of your own timidity'.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

At least he is handing the knife to her in the correct orientation: handle first, sharp side of the blade away from his hand, but he should have given her more handle by holding higher on the blade.

I like this guy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A good take, and yeah she looks like she's all enthusiastic about grabbing it :ese:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hahahahahaha sorry but clevin had a big dad. That dad is too small and puny.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Honestly if he says “Mother, kill Father and I will spare your life” and then shoots her when she does then all of this comic’s sins will be forgiven temporarily overlooked.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

blastron posted:

Honestly if he says “Mother, kill Father and I will spare your life” and then shoots her when she does then all of this comic’s sins will be forgiven temporarily overlooked.

Lobster was a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

blastron posted:

Is that a gun holster visible in the last panel?

• Locked thread