Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nilbop posted:

No, I’m actually blatantly mocking that tendency? I thought I was pretty obvious about that.

Do you want me to break it down a bit more? “Russian posters have a tendency to blame everyone but themselves to avoid personal responsibility.”

Now the thing I wonder is, how many of the people you consider respectable have used the argument "tendency to blame anyone but themsekves" with you. And how is it that you don't consider admitting this embarrassing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

lollontee posted:

Now the thing I wonder is, how many of the people you consider respectable have used the argument "tendency to blame anyone but themsekves" with you. And how is it that you don't consider admitting this embarrassing?

Oh you're just repeating what I say back to me now? Gosh, if only there was a word for that tactic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Liberalism is a mental illness.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I feel like this post is irrelevant for the discussion but extremelly relevant for the thread and the eu as a whole.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 8, 2018

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It feels like a metaphor for the EPP adding Poland to the authoritarian mix because it was worried that Hungary was getting lonely.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nilbop posted:

Oh you're just repeating what I say back to me now? Gosh, if only there was a word for that tactic.

Well, you keep saying funny things! If you don't actually believe these things, why is it that you keep telling us you do?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So the fascists won harder in Hungary. Does this mean the EU will collapse?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Maybe we'll break into a east-EU and west-EU. And a south EU too....

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

So the fascists won harder in Hungary. Does this mean the EU will collapse?

It does mean we should declare Hungary as "too stupid even for the EU" and throw them out like GB

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Maybe we'll break into a east-EU and west-EU. And a south EU too....

Resurrect Kalmar Union, and let the southeners do whatever.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm serious.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

lollontee posted:

Well, you keep saying funny things! If you don't actually believe these things, why is it that you keep telling us you do?

What the actual gently caress are you talking about?

At what point did any doubt enter your mind regarding me mocking you? Allow me to assure you there’s none there.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Libluini posted:

It does mean we should declare Hungary as "too stupid even for the EU" and throw them out like GB

This wont happen,the nuclear option is reserved for a country that elects a goverment too far to the left.

Its grimly amusing that one of the goals of the eu was to stop nazis to rise again in germany but instead its one of the contributing factors for nazis rising everywhere else.

*checks notes* oh,and in germany too.cool.coolcoolcoolcool.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm serious.

No, the EU won't collapse. At least not as a direct consequence of Orban winning the elections. Hungary doesn't want out of the EU and the EU can't force them out or do much about Orban's politics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.30dbf3227b15

Long term, it's anyone's guess. Orban's victory shows that you can succeed with "<our nation> stronk, no refugees, stable economy" platform so we may unfortunately see even more leaders like him.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I just want know if I should for example avoid buying a house in the Netherlands in case I get kicked out in 10 years due to every country going into full nacionalist lockdown mode.

EDIT: And before anyone says so, I don't think the fact that I am white will save me for long. Pretty sure this country still hasn't forgotten the "lazy southerner" stereotype. At the most that just gives me more time after they get rid of all the brown people and the country isn't magically better.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 9, 2018

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

I just want know if I should for example avoid buying a house in the Netherlands in case I get kicked out in 10 years due to every country going into full nacionalist lockdown mode.

EDIT: And before anyone says so, I don't think the fact that I am white will save me for long. Pretty sure this country still hasn't forgotten the "lazy southerner" stereotype. At the most that just gives me more time after they get rid of all the brown people and the country isn't magically better.

Aren’t you the one freaking out about this every two months? Dude, you’re one of the most privileged people on this planet, stop worrying.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

AceOfFlames posted:

Ah yes you're the Portuguese programmer in Netherlands that every couple of months has this meltdown so other posters then have to hug you and assure you that your life isn't literally in danger. Let me point out that:

- you're a EU citizen in another EU country
- Netherlands is one of the most liberal, welcoming and healthy places in Europe, not to mention the world
- as a software engineer you have extremely in-demand skills and great job options
- the fact that you're considering buying a house in Netherlands shows that you have money too
- all in all you have it better than 99.99% people on this planet, and better than most posters ITT

So you're either a whiny attention-seeking poo poo or someone with genuine mental problems. If it's the latter then I apologize. I'm sure you can afford counseling though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

So you're either a whiny attention-seeking poo poo or someone with genuine mental problems. If it's the latter then I apologize. I'm sure you can afford counseling though.

I am seeking counselling, actually. I will bring it up in my next session. Still in the beginning phases but hopefully it will help me deal with this sort of thing without me running here screaming (it's heavily focused on getting rid of maladaptive coping strategies).

Thanks for the reassurance.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ace just do what other tuga immigrants in France do and join the nationalist party and become a Good Immigrant(tm).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

buy a camper so you can always drive off

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shibawanko posted:

This, but a house boat, so you don't drown when global warming results in a supercharged repeat of '53 and drowns the Netherlands.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Lol good luck planting vegetables in the sea though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Just eat seaweed...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shibawanko posted:

This but a caravan to blend in even better with the natives.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

We already grow most of our vegetables below sea level. You have no idea what we are capable of.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

This but a caravan to blend in even better with the natives.

We already grow most of our vegetables below sea level. You have no idea what we are capable of.

Is it that time already were we talk about the room for the river program and how floating houses and resevoirs wont do jack poo poo against increased salinity in the air/night mist, desapearance of arable top soil,infiltration of salt water into fresh water sources and disruption of logistic chains? Cause i would much rather eat seaweed,its pretty tasty.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Is it that time already were we talk about the room for the river program and how floating houses and resevoirs wont do jack poo poo against increased salinity in the air/night mist, desapearance of arable top soil,infiltration of salt water into fresh water sources and disruption of logistic chains? Cause i would much rather eat seaweed,its pretty tasty.

In addition, several species of jellyfish are also edible!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Corbyn antisemitism stuff is such an obvious Blairite smear campaign. gently caress the Guardian.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I believe the Dutch AKA Swamp Germans are already adapted to life in brackish and even full saltwater. I think they'll be fine

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I believe the Dutch AKA Swamp Germans are already adapted to life in brackish and even full saltwater. I think they'll be fine

This isn't even our final form.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

This isn't even our final form.

Thats seems highly unfair,and also icky.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/ManfredWeber/status/983237947221794816?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Of course.of course.

Altivia
Jun 12, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

The Corbyn antisemitism stuff is such an obvious Blairite smear campaign. gently caress the Guardian.

I was ready to dismiss this as a conspiracy theory but it as it turns out Blair's son seems to have links to the new party so, lol. (I'm still not convinced there isn't a significant strain of antisemitism in Labour though, because if I've learned one thing it's that Labour always disappoints me.)

In other news it only took the Spanish government three years to put their newly-expanded definition of terrorism to work and charge someone with terrorism for organising a peaceful protest where a highway was temporarily blocked off.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Altivia posted:

I was ready to dismiss this as a conspiracy theory but it as it turns out Blair's son seems to have links to the new party so, lol. (I'm still not convinced there isn't a significant strain of antisemitism in Labour though, because if I've learned one thing it's that Labour always disappoints me.)

Well, looks like the Labour Party of Israel has a clear opinion on the matter.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Hatred of the policies of the government of the state Israel is a very roundabout way of saying "being a decent human being".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I called EPP far right in a predecessor of this thread and people told me I was dumb, lmfao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Altivia posted:

I'm still not convinced there isn't a significant strain of antisemitism in Labour though, because if I've learned one thing it's that Labour always disappoints me.

The takeaway is that: society has an anti-Semitism problem, Labour included, but that it's bigger on the right.

Here's Labour's biggest stan doing a podcast with three Jewish members of the Labour Party who talk about the real problems and the bullshittiness of the media furore. https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/983381792311992322

GaussianCopula posted:

They spell it Labor, actually. And notice that is signed by Avi Gabbay, who if you're going to accuse Labour in the UK of racism, hooo boy might want to read up on Gabbay's views on Arabic people first.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

GaussianCopula posted:

Lazy pricks couldn't even bother to correctly spell the UK party's name.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

Nice of the Israeli Labor to remind that, on the issue of the forever oppression of Palestinians and continued theft of their land, they are goosestepping in perfect unison with the fascists of the Likud.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, GaussianCopula, what are the antisemitic Labour excesses that memo speaks of, if you believe it was published in good faith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

steinrokkan posted:

So, GaussianCopula, what are the antisemitic Labour excesses that memo speaks of, if you believe it was published in good faith?

According to Reuters (https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-labour-antisemitism/british-jews-protest-against-corbyn-over-anti-semitism-idUKKBN1H21HD) the latest issue with Corbyn was this

quote:

The issue had flared up again last week after it came to light that in 2012 Corbyn questioned a decision by London local authorities to remove a street mural depicting men in suits with big noses playing Monopoly on the backs of naked people.

A picture of the mural in question can be found in this Bloomberg report
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-23/u-k-labour-leader-says-he-was-wrong-to-back-anti-semitic-mural