Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hunt11 posted:

The only downside of this episode is that some of the cutest moments are just as much about audio as they are about visuals.

Whoever was doing the voice/noise-work for Zero Two deserves accolades.

I wish they did more than 8fps for this scene because this inbetweener deserved more than one frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Ohhh my god this episode was actually really good!

Baby Zero Two is too cute for this world

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Also, this episode really made me hate APE and I want it to burn to the ground

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

Whoever was doing the voice/noise-work for Zero Two deserves accolades.

I have yet to re-watch the entire episode, but I have re-watched 02 getting named multiple times as it is almost painfully adorable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

Also, this episode really made me hate APE and I want it to burn to the ground

Yeah, it makes Dr. Franxx seem more villain-like, doesn't it? I mean, it seems like he's softened a bit in present day but that scene with young Zero Two was brutal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, it makes Dr. Franxx seem more villain-like, doesn't it? I mean, it seems like he's softened a bit in present day but that scene with young Zero Two was brutal.

Dr. Franxx's portrayal in this episode is that of a disgusting Dr. Mengele-esque monster, so I'm extremely curious what happened to cause him to change so much to the point where he seems to give a drat about what 02 wants.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Dr. Franxx's portrayal in this episode is that of a disgusting Dr. Mengele-esque monster, so I'm extremely curious what happened to cause him to change so much to the point where he seems to give a drat about what 02 wants.

Has he changed? Or is this just another piece of evidence that his whole ‘bring traditional relationships back through gently caress-robots’ thing is another cage Squad 13 have to escape from?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Has he changed? Or is this just another piece of evidence that his whole ‘bring traditional relationships back through gently caress-robots’ thing is another cage Squad 13 have to escape from?

"Healthy relationships between two partners working together are a good thing" seems like a weird evil message, especially since that is part of the shows themes.

And they seemed to be okay with pistol-pistol connections, so it isn't like they were against that if it worked. So it isn't a "traditional relationship only" thing.

I really do think there was some event that caused a change.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 8, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

He specifically is bending rules and going around standard APE regulations to let the children live freer, more open lives than normal parasites are allowed to, and he specifically says "Maybe that boy will be the one to grant 02's wish" when Hiro overcomes the three ride limit. The latter line is a hell of a turnaround from him torturing a child to see how much her body can take while commenting on how amazing it is that she can regenerate from him shooting holes through her. That and his general dialogue in the early episodes suggests that now he thinks of her as a person instead of a thing.

Given that everything positive we've seen in the children's lives is a result of them being allowed to develop their own relationships and feelings and everything negative we've seen in their lives is as a result of APE's nightmare dystopia, it would be extremely weird for the message to be "Dr. Franxx is evilly manipulating them to have normal human relationships".

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kanos posted:

it would be extremely weird for the message to be "Dr. Franxx is evilly manipulating them to have normal human relationships".

This is a better phrasing than what I said.

I can't grammar ever today.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At this point 'evil' becomes subjective/relative, doesn't it?

I bet Dr Franxx wiped Hiro's memories in order to prevent Squad 13 from getting purged (by APE) for being led by a kamiya-like figure.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 8, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Grouchio posted:

True. I think evil here can be taken to mean "The show wants the audience to think this is a bad thing"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Basically everything we saw about APE in this episode is pretty god damned evil. It might be in the service of a utilitarian greater good, but that doesn't make it less monstrous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Basically everything we saw about APE in this episode is pretty god damned evil. It might be in the service of a utilitarian greater good, but that doesn't make it less monstrous.

And even the greater good is still up in the air now. Shady figures talking about "saving the world" don't always mean it in the conventional sense.

I'm pretty curious about Franxx's deal now. I mean, even in this episode, he was the guy advocating for Hiro, in an unethical "no, I want to see what happens" way. Might be that avenue of testing lead to "Maybe I've been going about things wrong", or maybe it's still in "What would happen if we do this?" mode, but he's definitely not on the same page as APE's leadership.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm not gonna say that they're looking more and more like aliens but...
They're looking more and more like absolute bastards who control the world and use morally-draconian methods to maintain the status quo.

And they don't even have the decency or sheer shutzpah to get off of their thrones and go punch their problems in the face giant robots be damned like the other goober who's done something like this before.

Then again, Squad 13 hasn't gone into their house to wreck their entire system from the top down yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It would be rather neat if observing 13 did change his outlook as well.

Every adult on the show seems to be emotionally repressed except for present day Franxx (and the handlers if they count)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

It would be rather neat if observing 13 did change his outlook as well.

Every adult on the show seems to be emotionally repressed except for present day Franxx (and the handlers if they count)

The masks they wear are a pretty clear symbol for the repression and Franxx's machine half works as a allusion to that. He seems to be a bridge between normal people and what humanity has become in Franxxland, not entirely one or the other.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm really curious as to whether Zero Two's line of "I felt like I had even older memories, but I soon forgot them" is just a throwaway line or if it's foreshadowing anything. Kinda makes me wonder if there's more oni people out there or some kind of klaxosaur civilization or something that Zero Two got taken from.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This show would be better without the constant narration. The visuals are strong enough to convey everything and more that the narration does

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something else this episode did, thinking back?

It makes Zero Two's pursuit of her Darling much more sympathetic. When it just seemed like Hiro met her and treated her like a human being, that made the crush make sense, but the obsession, less so. Current Hiro did the same thing, after all.

But now, we've seen that young Hiro did about as much for her as anyone could. Gave her a name, introduced her to her favorite kinds of food, risked his life to save her from torture, read her the book the only other person who ever treated her with a shred of kindness gave her, promised to be with her forever...

Past Hiro set a very high standard, is what I'm saying.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Speculation regarding the word blackouts: I don't think "da" was the first syllable of the word. Zero Two might be another victim of Misremembered Memories with Hiro :ohdear:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

AnacondaHL posted:

Speculation regarding the word blackouts: I don't think "da" was the first syllable of the word. Zero Two might be another victim of Misremembered Memories with Hiro :ohdear:

Oh I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking that. It's very clearly *Static sounds*-DA, not DA-*Static*. So yeah, pretty sure he didn't say Darling there.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I really like this show so far. I hope they don't gently caress it up somehow along the way. This episode unleashed the feels.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Episode was cool and good as others have said.

Mokinokaro posted:

It makes me wonder how far they're going with the Franxx/Frankenstein thing.

Does that mean Hiro is the Monster?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Raxivace posted:

The real monster is the friends me made along the way.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Until this episode I was sure this was going down the Red & Blue Oni path that Japan loves to use but now I'm not so sure, even if Hiro's growth earlier on was bright blue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

He specifically is bending rules and going around standard APE regulations to let the children live freer, more open lives than normal parasites are allowed to, and he specifically says "Maybe that boy will be the one to grant 02's wish" when Hiro overcomes the three ride limit. The latter line is a hell of a turnaround from him torturing a child to see how much her body can take while commenting on how amazing it is that she can regenerate from him shooting holes through her. That and his general dialogue in the early episodes suggests that now he thinks of her as a person instead of a thing.

Given that everything positive we've seen in the children's lives is a result of them being allowed to develop their own relationships and feelings and everything negative we've seen in their lives is as a result of APE's nightmare dystopia, it would be extremely weird for the message to be "Dr. Franxx is evilly manipulating them to have normal human relationships".

They’ve repeatedly shown that the old model doesn’t quite fit them either, though. In particular, they’ve set up an obvious point of friction with Ikuno and Mitsuru, sympathetic characters who can’t quite be themselves within the heavy heteronormativity of the old-school ‘you must have sex to make babies’ environment he’s created. Meanwhile, the good doctor himself has come across as vaguely predatory from day one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

They’ve repeatedly shown that the old model doesn’t quite fit them either, though. In particular, they’ve set up an obvious point of friction with Ikuno and Mitsuru, sympathetic characters who can’t quite be themselves within the heavy heteronormativity of the old-school ‘you must have sex to make babies’ environment he’s created. Meanwhile, the good doctor himself has come across as vaguely predatory from day one.

The male/female pairing is the standard APE format for parasite teams. The unusual environment of Squad 13 is giving Ikuno and Mitsuru an opportunity to explore their feelings and try to come to terms with them in a relatively natural way. Without the special conditions of Squad 13, Mitsuru would have washed out and likely been disposed of/killed due to his poor numbers rather than the issue being addressed, and Ikuno would have never gotten permission to at least attempt a pistil-to-pistil connection. Mitsuru has spent half of his life nursing a sense of betrayal, anger, and jealousy and he was able to confront it and somewhat come to terms with it due to Kokoro's help without any interference from the adults specifically because Squad 13 is allowed to have emotions and relationships. You can't tell me that's not ultimately good for him even if the default Franxx configuration isn't supportive of his sexuality.

Dr. Franxx was a horrible monster of a person based on this most recent episode, so the question is what transformed him from Unit 731 Project Director to Vaguely Perverted Old Man Trying To Resurrect Human Relationships.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Part of me kind of hopes that Hiro's memory scrubbing falls away entirely and he remembers the rest of his childhood and the promise he made to Mitsuru, so he can explain it and maybe reconcile their differences. Then maybe ask some pointed questions of Nana and Hachi.

99% sure Naomi got dumped in the incinerator, probably after being given an Elixir injection to try and assign her to another team.

I'm thinking that lingering effects of the brain scrubbing plus subconcious memories of how no-one ever answered his questions is why Hiro hasn't brought up the subject of visiting Naomi with Nana and Hachi.

But yeah, my opinion of Dr FranXX has seriously plummeted after seeing that episode. He seemed like a kindly old man (if a bit of a pervert) who was genuinely looking out for 02 and Squad 13 but limited in how much help he could give due to the structure of their society etc. Now he's a monster.

Still wondering what process they used on 02 to make her almost fully human looking.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They feed her the failure parasites.

I'm joking but with how messed up APE is...

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I highly doubt its for any kind of a greater good. They're creating these kids to fight the Klaxosaurs, but they seemingly only attack because of the magma extractions in the first place. So from appearances its just a bunch of assholes creating a slave army to fight and die to allow them to continue living comfortably.

Also its crazy going over 02's previous dialogue and seeing how much she was repeating from young Hiro. I suspect she was deliberately testing if he was her old Darling or not and the recent craziness was her being convinced he wasn't from his lack of response. This show is fantastic.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 8, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

This show would be better without the constant narration. The visuals are strong enough to convey everything and more that the narration does

you were right

though if they dropped the narration the whole pacing of the episode compresses...so i wonder if considerations like filling the timeslot or keeping the climax at the end swayed them towards what is a pretty lame "narrate what i am doing" style.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What a great episode. Tears down my face the whole time.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Zark the Damned posted:

99% sure Naomi got dumped in the incinerator, probably after being given an Elixir injection to try and assign her to another team.

I can't get past the idea that they wouldn't waste their time on this. They removed children if they under performed, why wouldn't they do the same with a more matured specimen?

Zark the Damned posted:

But yeah, my opinion of Dr FranXX has seriously plummeted after seeing that episode. He seemed like a kindly old man (if a bit of a pervert)

My opinion hasn't changed too much on him, since I couldn't quite place the role he had aside from observer. He cares more about his experiment working than the well-being of the paracites. If he's looking out for squad 13, it's likely only until he gets the results he wants or feels the experiment is over. I'd say the incidents of ep13 caused him to shift ideas, wondering what would happen if his little pet project interacted with the slapdash squad 13.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The next episode is going to be heart wrenching. Either Hiro gets what’s going on and ditches squad cour and ABE or he submits to ABE to protect his friends and breaks 02’s heart.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Calvin Coolposts posted:

I'm really curious as to whether Zero Two's line of "I felt like I had even older memories, but I soon forgot them" is just a throwaway line or if it's foreshadowing anything. Kinda makes me wonder if there's more oni people out there or some kind of klaxosaur civilization or something that Zero Two got taken from.

What if Zero Two is the mother, Father is literally the father, and all parasites are somehow genetically her offspring or, hell, "parasites." I mean, there are, from an evolutionary standpoint some weird conversations categorizing pregnancy as a type of illness due to its effects on the body from what I know.

Raxivace posted:

You may be kidding but the credits scene with the picture book have the "monster" licking the prince's knee as he's injured. Zero Two has the image of the wedding ceremony in her rmind though.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dessel posted:

What if Zero Two is the mother, Father is literally the father, and all parasites are somehow genetically her offspring or, hell, "parasites." I mean, there are, from an evolutionary standpoint some weird conversations categorizing pregnancy as a type of illness due to its effects on the body from what I know.

You may be kidding but the credits scene with the picture book have the "monster" licking the prince's knee as he's injured. Zero Two has the image of the wedding ceremony in her rmind though.

She doesn't lick his knee. She sucks the poison out if his calf in the text and the book only shows the bleeding wound.
Zero Two tries to say Kekkon/marriage when Hiro licks her knee because it looks like the prince kissing the monster girl's hand.

Now did ingesting the blood have some effect on Hiro?

The censored Da-word should be four syllables long. Darling(ダーリング) is too long for that

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 8, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are you sure? Da-ar-li-ngu. The N kind of disappears into the g sound.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Are you sure? Da-ar-li-ngu. The N kind of disappears into the g sound.

Yes, I'm sure. Your breakup doesn't make any sense in Japanese and it's the title of the show.
I'm also going by how much the scribbles block in the credits.

-e-
I looked at the near unreadable title and its missing the Gu. :bang:
So more like Darlin'.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think the important part about reconciling Dr. Franxxs character is understanding that while he may use different methods, he seems to still be fully on board with whatever APEs greater goal is, which the show has repeatedly implied is a little more sinister than "defend the plantations." Making the parasites live fuller lives is not his goal, its just a tool to make them more efficient pilots.

• Locked thread