Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah it’ll be fine :)

It was!!! So fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd use fresh garlic over powder but there is no food safety or food science reason not to use either for a very short cook.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Feenix posted:

It was!!! So fine!

Sous vide shrimp is stupid good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

spankmeister posted:

I'd use fresh garlic over powder but there is no food safety or food science reason not to use either for a very short cook.

Fresh garlic is super strong in the sous vide, so make sure you only use a small amount. I did some on a ribeye and it was almost overbearing.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

fresh garlic can pick up a metallic flavour if cooked sous vide, powdered is preferable because it isn't affected like fresh is

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Has anyone had success with sv hainan chicken? The recipe on the anova site turned out flavorless and watery for me compared to the good stuff I've had before.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

AnonSpore posted:

Has anyone had success with sv hainan chicken? The recipe on the anova site turned out flavorless and watery for me compared to the good stuff I've had before.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640&userid=64202#post457374456

I used this guy's recipe with split chicken breasts and it came out pretty decent. Scroll up one post for the pic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Boosh! posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640&userid=64202#post457374456

I used this guy's recipe with split chicken breasts and it came out pretty decent. Scroll up one post for the pic.

Wait, isn't the whole point of hainan chicken that you do the rice in the broth that comes from cooking the chicken? There doesn't seem to be any liquid involved here.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Fresh garlic is super strong in the sous vide, so make sure you only use a small amount. I did some on a ribeye and it was almost overbearing.

There is no such thing as too much garlic.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

in sous vide there is, and that amount of (fresh) garlic is any at all.

Elizabethan Error posted:

fresh garlic can pick up a metallic flavour if cooked sous vide, powdered is preferable because it isn't affected like fresh is

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I agree but you don’t get a garlic flavor from raw garlic in SV. Powder really is the best and then the jar of cooked stuff.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I thought fresh garlic only got weird over longer periods of sous vide, not 30 minutes? I haven't tried it myself, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nephzinho posted:

I love garlic too, but don't say I didn't warn you!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Maybe we're just not putting enough garlic into the bag? Someone should make 40 clove chicken SV to test.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Elizabethan Error posted:

Interesting, I've never had that issue but I only used it on short cooks.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The chefsteps chuck roast recipe uses lightly toasted garlic cloves for a long cook, and that's delicious.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/flavor-packed-feast-worthy-chuck-roast

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Interesting, I've never had that issue but I only used it on short cooks.

I don't remember where, but someone wrote up a long sciency explanation as to why garlic gets weird on long cooks.

I find pepper get objectionable too, but that might just be me.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i have the chef steps chuck roast in the bath right now -- hurray. the roast itself is not great (some random chuck roast for $5 from Lidl) but after some extensive trimming it should net a good result

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't remember where, but someone wrote up a long sciency explanation as to why garlic gets weird on long cooks.

I find pepper get objectionable too, but that might just be me.

I thought fresh garlic was a botulinum issue.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Potentially, but the even on shorter cooks, it doesn't "cook" at sous vide temps, it just enhances the astringent taste of raw garlic.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

wait wait, by longer cooks do you mean, like 3 days? I have some garlic in an 18 hour cook right now --- bad idea? I threw in 2 whole cloves

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

wait wait, by longer cooks do you mean, like 3 days? I have some garlic in an 18 hour cook right now --- bad idea? I threw in 2 whole cloves

I did that with my chefsteps chuck roast, and it was fine. Not astringent, not deadly (unless I'm posting from the grave :ghost:!)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking to puddle 2 whole beef tenderloins for a group in a couple of weeks. Anyone done one before and have suggestions and would there be any reason not to do it?
I was planning on following the same cook as I do for standard filets.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I think i've only ever used garlic in the sous vide with chicken breast, i probably used 4-5 cloves for 2 pounds of meat? Don't recall it being overpowering, but I may just be broken.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

at what temp? if it's <125f, you've probably got botulinum growth happening.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

136 F - so it’s safe?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

ehh from botulinum yes, but 135 is the upper limit for other bacterial growth

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Holy poo poo. So I told my wife that I wanted to try out my new vessel and lid setup with the Anova and we had talked about doing a corned beef around St. Patty's Day. So she brought home a pre-brined corned beef brisket from Winco. No big deal, figured I would drain the brine, dry the thing out, bag it, and bath it. I've had to rebag this thing like 3 times in the last 5 hours because it is just giving of an insane amount of liquid and gas (I hope from cavities within?). As far as I can tell there haven't been any leaks in the bag, but a bubble keeps forming and liquid keeps accumulating. The meat itself is probably half the size it began.

I do not have high hopes for this corned beef.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's not any more than any other food product you might sous vide.

This loving myth will never die.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

its HIM posted:

It's not any more than any other food product you might sous vide.

This loving myth will never die.

Having googled a bit, I think garlic has a botulism reputation due to some outbreaks in the 80s. Infusing oil was a fad, and that created good growth conditions, anoxic and room temperature. Since the spores are in soil, they are also on anything that grows in soil, including garlic. But it's the oil infusion, not the garlic, that was the real problem. If potato infused oil was a fad, potatoes would have a bad rep. Sous vide has comparable conditions, but the higher temps and shorter time makes it a lot less likely, if I understand it right.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Corned beef turned out alright. Nothing too special, but pretty good at least. I figure the meat cooking must have pushed a ton of liquid out of the meat, but I'm still not really sure where the extra gas/air came from.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Yes, it is all due to idiots making infused garlic oil without creating an appropriate acidity level to prevent botulinum growth (garlic is not naturally acidic enough). Somehow this turned into "garlic has botulism." This has absolutely nothing to do with sous vide, where you're primarily cooking at temperatures too high for bacterial growth. (And if you're not, garlic still doesn't matter because botulinum spores are *everywhere*, including all over whatever else is already in your bag. Don't cook your poo poo in the danger zone without knowing what you're doing.)

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I’ve done the test as a certified garlic enthusiast, one steak with garlic powder and one with blended fresh garlic.

The powder tasted better.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
6 lbs tritip how long what temp?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Grem posted:

6 lbs tritip how long what temp?

90 mins 130F

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Really? Seems so short. The reason I asked is because I see from 12 hours to 3 hours and everywhere in between.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Grem posted:

Really? Seems so short. The reason I asked is because I see from 12 hours to 3 hours and everywhere in between.

I just wanted to have a snappy answer. A longer one: The good thing about sous vide is that exact time doesn't matter that much. Get the meat going, then do whatever else you need to do before dinner. I think you need at least 90 mins to make sure that much meat is heated through. If it's trimmed to be very lean, a long cook like 12 hours can make it mushy. If there's a lot of fat, 3-6 hours can make a nice difference in rendering it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Word. Unfortunately this is my lunch for the week or I'd have more time to make one for dinner or something and try it out, so I just wanted to make sure I got this one right. Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ColHannibal posted:

I’ve done the test as a certified garlic enthusiast, one steak with garlic powder and one with blended fresh garlic.

The powder tasted better.

Sous Vide Everything on YouTube did the same test with the same result :)

They also much prefer no butter no oil in the bag. They've settled on coarse salt, pepper, and garlic powder for almost every steak they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BrianBoitano posted:

Sous Vide Everything on YouTube did the same test with the same result :)

They also much prefer no butter no oil in the bag. They've settled on coarse salt, pepper, and garlic powder for almost every steak they do.

I don't use the pepper. I think it's better fresh ground on the steak while resting