Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I have no idea where the gently caress Lookism is trying to go now

I haven't read it in a while, but what I did read (which was all of it up until maybe 6 months ago or so) felt very "quaint" for lack of a better word. I don't know how else to describe it. Like a show for little children except aimed at older teenagers.

It's actually kind of strange, because I find that the Korean webtoon comedies I've read seem to either have really great subtle and/or tone-based humor, or are like the webtoon equivalent of a bad television sitcom. Obviously you have a variety of comedy quality in, say, Japanese manga as well, but it feels more distinct in the webtoons/manhwa I've read, with higher highs and lower lows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I thought it was just cute and made me smile or laugh once in a while but now it's doing something real weird

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does everyone just use Line-Webtoons to read these or is there another option for Manhwa? Seems like Webtoons is getting dominated by romcom webcomics etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This talk of Lookism reminded me of another webtoon that is even more "quaint" - that one about the dude with a giant head. One thing that I always thought was funny about that one is that most of the guys have legitimately bizarre or super noticeable deformities, but all the girls just have animal ears or tails or whatever (except for the one girl who is tiny but looks normal otherwise).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

That Works posted:

Does everyone just use Line-Webtoons to read these or is there another option for Manhwa? Seems like Webtoons is getting dominated by romcom webcomics etc.

Meraki scans do a bunch that aren't on webtoons

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is The Breaker guys' new(ish) thing any good? "Trinity Wonder"?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

it's pretty, at least.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Another scandal strikes Lezhin as some webtoon got cancelled because its author sexually harassed another author at some official Lezhin event / meeting thing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

That Works posted:

Lezhin has an english-translated side but you have to pay coins for chapters. I've almost entirely shifted over to them though because the art is generally of higher quality and they have a good variety of BL. If you're mostly looking for action I'm not sure how well they compare since I haven't really looked at the rest of their catalogue. If you like romance and/or smut they have a pretty wide selection of m/m, m/f, and f/f options though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's decent enough but it's no Breaker. Also sorely lacking in Elder Kwon teleporting around putting uppity children in their place.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's solid but kinda disappointing purely off the back of not being the breaker. I like it well enough tho

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
So, this thread has been around for a long time and I've been wanting to update it for a few years now but I'm pretty lazy and don't post much... However I'm bed/couch ridden for the next few days after surgery and the pain meds are are just right so I want to start up a new thread with a good effort-post!

I've been a huge fan of korean webtoons and manhwa since they first started getting fan-translated and I'm hoping to bring some more discussion about popular or lesser-known ones you guys like. Especially now that there are free official places to access them such as Webtoons.com which has tons of popular comics of every genre. Going with the non-Japanese theme, a ton of chinese manhua are being translated nowadays, mostly of the the wuxia (martial arts cultivation) variety, and there's a number of those I enjoy. Mostly, comics in color are more fun!

With that in mind I'd like to get some suggestions for webtoons and manhwa/manhua you all recommend. I want to come up with a good spread of ones to highlight in a new thread. It's late now but I'll come up with a list of my favorites too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What are some Chinese manhua you like? All the ones I've seen, with the exception of that historical epic one (Ravages of Time?) and Tamen de Gushi (which is just sort of mediocre, though I know that's probably an unpopular opinion) have been pretty bad, but it's entirely possible better stuff just isn't being translated or I haven't encountered it.

For Korean manhwa, I would recommend any of Ha Il-kwon's stuff and I Don't Want This Kind of Hero, which I mentioned in a couple recent posts. Those are all genuinely good in a way that goes beyond merely "entertaining comics" (like Noblesse or something, which is just sorta fun but not actually that great). That one about the chubby martial arts master guy (drawing a blank on the name) is also pretty good. I know I've read other good ones as well, but can't remember them off the top of my head.

Edit: Oh, remembered a couple others. Reversi on Lezhin is interesting and not what you'd expect from the premise. I also like 4 Cut Hero despite it having a lot of kinda dumb stuff. It seems kinda self-aware, and a lot of the humor is quite funny (even if a bunch falls flat). The artist is also genuinely talented at conveying motion and a sense of force with his art, and the fight scenes can be pretty drat cool. If you can tolerate some of its worst aspects, I think it's worth reading.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 8, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Manhua has all be garbage from what little I tried reading

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Their Story (Tamen de Gushi) is a web manhua and it's super dope and good and sweet and funny and Mophead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tamen de gushi is very cute yea

I remember trying to read city of darkness and it wasn't good from what I recall

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tamen de Gushi had it's physical release of the second volume suspended cause the publisher wanted to get rid of the yuri stuff, and the author declined.

https://velvetrouge.tumblr.com/post/169814029146/regarding-the-issue-of-sq-publication-i-would

God bless.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I was enjoying Song of the Long March quite a lot before it went on (permanent?) hiatus.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Tamen de Gushi had it's physical release of the second volume suspended cause the publisher wanted to get rid of the yuri stuff, and the author declined.

What would even be left at that point

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sun Jing hangs out with her friends at school, meanwhile there are occasionally chapters about a girl named Qiu Tong who goes to a different school. Nobody can figure out why those chapters exist since the two never meet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've read a couple Chinese comics based off of Xianxia WNs, and both were bad to the extent it was almost fascinating. They came off like someone who had never read or studied the art of comic-making was trying to make comics, with generally poor use of panels and art that wasn't much better than what you'd expect from an amateur. The portrayal of the plots also came off like someone had read a number of Xianxias and was reciting some of the main events in some sort of fever dream. Like they would just erratically bounce from one plot point to the next.

I hope that China develops a more "robust" manhua/webtoon industry at some point, because I'd imagine they could put out a lot of good stuff given their population being so much bigger than Korea/Japan's.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you think those are bad try watching one of the animated adaptations.

There was one where they added a black sidekick for the main character named Will Smith, who was designed as though they'd looked at Mr Popo and went "heh, we can do way worse than that!"

edit: It was Wang Go Xiang Qiong / Everlasting Immortal Firmament

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 8, 2018

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Aside from Tamen de Gushi, the only manhua I remember enjoying is Feng Shen Ji, which finished years ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

That one about the chubby martial arts master guy (drawing a blank on the name) is also pretty good.

that'd be gosu, whose excellent fan translation ended after the terrible official translation started. the official translation eventually became adequate though still not particularly good, thankfully.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that'd be gosu, whose excellent fan translation ended after the terrible official translation started. the official translation eventually became adequate though still not particularly good, thankfully.

i was rereading tower of god from the start of the workshop arc over the last 2 weeks and the translation is mostly ok except bouncing around mazino and majino within the same chapter and then just the odd type. Some panels were blank thoguh lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was pretty bummed when the gosu fan translation stopped. the official one had to play catch up and isn't as good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its still not caught up is it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm actually not sure since I stopped following it after a while

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

its still not caught up is it?

I think at the rate its going its got like 1.5 years till it catches up or something pretty long.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, i checked just now and it is pretty close to the end of part 1.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yes, but, the thing is, Gosu is waaaaaaaay beyond where even the fan translation stopped. It could very well be a few years before it's "caught up" if it ever is before it ends.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gologle posted:

Yes, but, the thing is, Gosu is waaaaaaaay beyond where even the fan translation stopped. It could very well be a few years before it's "caught up" if it ever is before it ends.

it's almost caught up to the fan translation, not the newest chapters.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Reiche posted:

With that in mind I'd like to get some suggestions for webtoons and manhwa/manhua you all recommend. I want to come up with a good spread of ones to highlight in a new thread. It's late now but I'll come up with a list of my favorites too.

Boyfriend of the Dead and Super Secret are decent romcom manhwa. The former focuses far, far more heavily on comedy.

For more action or adventure type stuff there's Catharsis, S.I.D., Gosu, The Gamer, and Tower of God. All are great though ToG and Gamer are a cut above the others.

Hive is good but giant insects creep me the gently caress out so I never could get far into it.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 9, 2018

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I sometimes read the official translation of Gosu on Webtoon and it just kills me inside.

Technique names are shortened, even names are shortened for some reason Sa Pae Cheon because Sa Cheon for some reason, dunno why they just took out the Pae????

And then the words used really lack a sense of gravity.

Or grammar for that matter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like, the translator really loves using the word "Guys" and it always bugs me to see some old solemn martial artist going "You guys" cause it breaks my immersion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

khy posted:

Boyfriend of the Dead and Super Secret are decent romcom manhwa. The former focuses far, far more heavily on comedy.

For more action or adventure type stuff there's Catharsis, S.I.D., Gosu, The Gamer, and Tower of God. All are great though ToG and Gamer are a cut above the others.

Hive is good but giant insects creep me the gently caress out so I never could get far into it.

All of these plus Noblesse and God of High School

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I would absolutely not consider The Gamer remotely as good as Tower of God (or God of High School for that matter). If I had to rank some of the major action/fighting webtoons, it would probably go something like this:

Tower of God > God of High School >>>>>>> Noblesse = The Gamer (Noblesse maybe gets a bit higher for its comedy sections)

Gosu is a bit of an exception in that I wouldn't consider it the same sort of fighting comic as the above. It has less of a "shounen" sorta feel to it.

One thing I like about that Reversi series on Lezhin is that the premise makes you believe it's going to be a "protagonist joins organization of fighters to fight things" comic, but then it doesn't go in that direction at all.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't think I've seen this one mentioned: Reveries of the Moonlight

I've read about half of it now, it's got a more standard manga layout so this might appeal to people not used to the webtoon format and the art is really nice.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'd also recommend DICE. It's a good story and it's surprisingly intense. I'd absolutely recommend it over The Gamer any day, because I didn't like The Gamer at all and had to eventually stop reading. And of course there's also Kubera, but that might have been mentioned already.

Please note that even though DICE is on Webtoons, it's ahead of that point by quite a distance and the fan translation of it is much closer, not to mention better.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So whatever happened to Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School? Is it still going? Still good? Did the quality drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

I'd also recommend DICE. It's a good story and it's surprisingly intense. I'd absolutely recommend it over The Gamer any day, because I didn't like The Gamer at all and had to eventually stop reading. And of course there's also Kubera, but that might have been mentioned already.

Please note that even though DICE is on Webtoons, it's ahead of that point by quite a distance and the fan translation of it is much closer, not to mention better.

Oh, I forgot about DICE. Yeah, I would say DICE is definitely better than The Gamer, though not as good as God of High School or Tower of God.

And Kubera! I can't believe I forgot to mention that! Kubera is basically tied with Tower of God for me, if not somewhat above it (Kubera's characters are far more interesting than ToG's). I've been holding off on reading it ever since the end of Season 2, so that I could marathon a bunch later.

edit: Kubera, like ToG, has a genuinely unique and novel fantasy setting, which is pretty rare in the realm of "nerd fiction" in general. The plot/characters are also dealt with in ways that frequently defy the expectations a reader who is used to similar media might have.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 9, 2018