Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Please do not besmirch my wife, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

chumbler posted:

I got faked out by the opening of the last episode.

Also the amount Ms. Chug drinks makes me feel ill.

I was too busy imagining photoshops of Coleman logos saying Nadeshiko to notice the fakeout until it was too late

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=455463
:3:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm now living in a post-Yurucamp world and I don't like it.

I need more Yurucamp.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inverness posted:

I need more Yurucamp.

The first volume of the manga comes out tomorrow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly the awful shading in the manga always put me off :/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Inverness posted:

I need more Yurucamp.

https://youtu.be/8iSIjhv5vr8

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So my attempt to camp out last weekend went well save for one small hitch: I left my tent at home :downsgun:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

So my attempt to camp out last weekend went well save for one small hitch: I left my tent at home :downsgun:

Sleeping under the stars

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Rather than being encouraged by this show to go camping, I've become enthralled with Rin's scooter. It seems my desire to own such a scooter increases with every show I see where one of that kind is shown.

Of course in reality I'm probably over the weight limit on them, just with my corpulent self. Also, where I live if I went around on a scooter I'd end up being a weirdly shaped mark on the front grill of a pickup truck. I hate reality.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buy the bluray, you could win her scooter

https://twitter.com/yurucamp_anime/status/978927198550704128

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Thursdays just aren't going to be the same. :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wonder if they'll ship it overseas.

Alas, I still can't figure out if the DVDs have english subs, or I'd be entered just as a consequence of getting them.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Beato Believer posted:

Rather than being encouraged by this show to go camping, I've become enthralled with Rin's scooter. It seems my desire to own such a scooter increases with every show I see where one of that kind is shown.

Of course in reality I'm probably over the weight limit on them, just with my corpulent self. Also, where I live if I went around on a scooter I'd end up being a weirdly shaped mark on the front grill of a pickup truck. I hate reality.

At least you can buy a Yamaha Vino. The Anime Scooter I fell in love with is the 1964 Vespa SS 180. You'll recognize it as Haruko's from FLCL. Turns out as scooters go it's stupid rare when I was looking at them. It's not unattainable I'll admit, but you could buy two of Rin's new for the price of one 50+ year old Vespa.

I bought a Snow Peak canister stove today, so I have something more portable than a 20 lb propane tank and a 40k BTU stove. :v:

I''ve also been intrigued by Rin's nata hatchet. There is a slightly different style that has a bit at the tip to protect the blade from hitting the ground:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PirateDentist posted:

At least you can buy a Yamaha Vino. The Anime Scooter I fell in love with is the 1964 Vespa SS 180. You'll recognize it as Haruko's from FLCL. Turns out as scooters go it's stupid rare when I was looking at them. It's not unattainable I'll admit, but you could buy two of Rin's new for the price of one 50+ year old Vespa.

I bought a Snow Peak canister stove today, so I have something more portable than a 20 lb propane tank and a 40k BTU stove. :v:

I''ve also been intrigued by Rin's nata hatchet. There is a slightly different style that has a bit at the tip to protect the blade from hitting the ground:

I hope you got the windscreen for the stove. They make a big difference.

Also, the one thing that Yurucamp has made me want is onsen near camping. =E

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 29, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

PirateDentist posted:

I was intrigued by them and ended up watching a few videos of guys demonstrating them on Youtube, but they seemed to have to put in a lot of effort to split anything heavier than a light log so I decided a regular ax is probably fine even if it's not as exotic or cool looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREatse8dJ8

That was the video that decided it for me. The guy spends over a minute hammering away just to split a log, and I'm pretty sure a regular ax would do it quicker and with less effort.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's more of a machete than a hatchet, really. Log-splitting like that isn't really what it's designed for, just a role it can be pressed into if necessary.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I hope you got the windscreen for the stove. They make a big difference.

I did! REI had the screen for :10bux: so I grabbed one while picking up a few cans of fuel. It nests nicely underneath the 200~g fuel containers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I was intrigued by them and ended up watching a few videos of guys demonstrating them on Youtube, but they seemed to have to put in a lot of effort to split anything heavier than a light log so I decided a regular ax is probably fine even if it's not as exotic or cool looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREatse8dJ8

That was the video that decided it for me. The guy spends over a minute hammering away just to split a log, and I'm pretty sure a regular ax would do it quicker and with less effort.

One of the things to note is that wood grows differently depending on your part of the world. I mentioned it before, but comparing lumberjacking tools from around the world is really interesting.

If you want a tool that is useful and satisfies many roles at the same time in North America, I suggest a tomahawk.

We could go back and forth about <insert W-word relating to indigenous Americans>aboos, but the fact of the matter is that fur trappers on the frontier of the 1700 and 1800s found them to be slightly-less-specialized tools, but far more handy and versatile, and that they are a refinement of what works in North America, and have never really ever gone away.

Here's mine:

If you've seen me talk about this in other threads, I apologize, I'm about to make the same case for it again. XD

There are a lot of nice, well-designed modern tomahawks these days, both in the traditional style, as shown, or something a lot more mall ninja tacticool with features that make more sense in an urban environment than a camping one. Mine stays with the rest of my camping gear, so obviously I use one meant for that. You can get it with a hammer poll instead of the spike, but I find that anything I need to hammer, I use a rock or a baton (that I've just chopped with my tomahawk) instead. Otherwise, I have used my tomahawk to:

* Chop and split wood
* Punch holes in crusty packed dirt. This can be for anything from piloting stakes, to churning the dirt so you can scrape out holes with your hands, or the hawk itself if you have a particularly broad-headed one.
* Hook rocks out of the dirt to clear a patch to sleep in.
* Climbing aid.
* Log hook
* Rip out vegetation when clearing a campsite.
* An adze for shaving down wood. (I saw a guy complain on Youtube about how it the handle develops a shelf where the head and handle meet. What that guy didn't know is that he was holding the tools to fix it in his hands.)
* And yes, I have actually thrown it, but I wouldn't say it's balanced for it. I did win 2x:10bux:, though.

Most of which you would not want to do with that Japanese logsplitter, or a nice Gransfors Bruks or even a good Estwing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 29, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We could go back and forth about <insert W-word relating to indigenous Americans>aboos

Wampumaboos?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Paracelsus posted:

Wampumaboos?

:golfclap:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It seemed insufficiently representative, what with wampum being confined to the Atlantic seaboard, what with being made out of Northern Atlantic seashells.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit:whoops, misread a tweet

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:hai: One of the best of the Winter season easily. Extremely chill.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Volume 1 of the Manga is out by Yen Press - it's good although

Not sure if I should groan or laugh at Conenichwa for the pine cone joke or not

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not sure if I should groan or laugh at Conenichwa for the pine cone joke or not

That is amazing.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLTMOfXxV18

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Most of that video was super grim but the ending gag made it all worth it :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
BluRay extra short is up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

oops wrong thread

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The BDs are doing well :stare: s2 when??

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Chiaki from the OVA is :3:

https://twitter.com/fire_sister_bee/status/981580013848989697?s=21

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The chapter of the manga that was the girls' trip to the camping store was just translated, and it includes this little tidbit among the usual bunch of real-world information:

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 8, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That just makes me think he's waiting for a master that'll never return, like in Futurama :( Well, like it originally was in Futurama, before they amended it in a few seasons down the line.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I thought of a business owner in my area that doesn't want to leave her dog at home alone, so she brings him to work and let's him hang around all day. The kids love it. :3:

I also work at a pet friendly hotel and employees are allowed to bring pets to work, though pretty much only dog owners do. Guests usually don't have much of a reaction, but there's some that love it and are happy to see the pets after having to leave their own at home.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Onean posted:

The chapter of the manga that was the girls' trip to the camping store was just translated, and it includes this little tidbit among the usual bunch of real-world information:

*click*

OH MY GOD THEY GOT RID OF THE lovely HATCHING.

*page 6*

OH GOD IT'S BACK FML

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yurucamp is a manga that just really likes dogs, and hell,

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

StandardVC10 posted:

Yurucamp is a manga that just really likes dogs, and hell,

i like dogs and this manga

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tsob posted:

That just makes me think he's waiting for a master that'll never return, like in Futurama :( Well, like it originally was in Futurama, before they amended it in a few seasons down the line.

it makes me think that he’s just patiently waiting for you to travel all the way to japan for you to pet him

yes, you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So he is the dog from Futurama, waiting for someone that'll never arrive? :cry: