Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've found polyatheism a good bridge builder. Anyone and anyone can have a polite and agreeable conversation about the thousands of gods they both don't believe in without anyone (at the scene) getting offended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

shame on an IGA posted:

I've found polyatheism a good bridge builder. Anyone and anyone can have a polite and agreeable conversation about the thousands of gods they both don't believe in without anyone (at the scene) getting offended

I hate to label myself as an atheist because of what angry internet nerds have done with the word, but yeah. I have nothing against religion or religious people, but I just don't want to participate in it, and I don't want to waste people's times. The reason I'm asking is because I got invited to a bible study group and I didn't have a good reason for not going (other than being not religious). I went, but I left early because it was clear that the other people were full-on Christians and I didn't want to offend anybody refusing to participate in prayer and such. I'm totally fine with learning about Christianity. I just don't want to participate in any of the "extra" stuff.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 8, 2018

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what life have you led that you didn't know "bible study" is a christian thing? this is not condemnation this is jealousy

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Senju Kannon posted:

what life have you led that you didn't know "bible study" is a christian thing? this is not condemnation this is jealousy

I know that bible study groups are inherently a christian thing.

I'm saying that I'd like to read the bible and follow some kind of structured study guide for it because I seriously have no idea where to start (do i need to read the old testament? do i need to read this version, or that version? what's the difference between them? what is the context of this story? who was "john" really?), but from the perspective of studying it for the sake of knowledge, vs studying it to be a christian. The study group I went to focused too much on the latter.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 8, 2018

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Христосъ воскресе!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not religious and I've never read the Bible before. I'd like to read it and understand the contexts of it because at the end of the day it's one of the most influential books that exist. Can anyone recommend a study guide (or preferably iPhone/iPad app) for me to do just that? It's such a big book and I have no idea where to start, especially cause (from my understanding) there are contradictions from chapter to chapter. What I'd like is something like, "read these chapters, and pay attention to this and that" coupled with "this is maybe the historical basis of what you just read." I'm not looking for anything that's religious or trying to convert me, because there is a 0% chance of that, but from a historical perspective.

no such thing exists, though you can get the NRSV on your phone

the open yale course series has two courses (into to the OT and into to the NT) that are good. the books are good as well.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
someone with a gun to the back of my head: tell me a good book about biblical studies
me: s...sex and the single savio-
*gun cocking noise*: mainstream, not postmodern
me, shaking: m... musa dube
*gunshot*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not religious and I've never read the Bible before. I'd like to read it and understand the contexts of it because at the end of the day it's one of the most influential books that exist. Can anyone recommend a study guide (or preferably iPhone/iPad app) for me to do just that? It's such a big book and I have no idea where to start, especially cause (from my understanding) there are contradictions from chapter to chapter. What I'd like is something like, "read these chapters, and pay attention to this and that" coupled with "this is maybe the historical basis of what you just read." I'm not looking for anything that's religious or trying to convert me, because there is a 0% chance of that, but from a historical perspective.

Start at the beginning, read all of it.

If that's too much then skip ahead any time it starts talking about genealogies.

If that's too much then read the Gospels because that'll probably give you the most immediate insight into the origins/ethos of Christianity as a religion.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 8, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

This is how the Jesus-loving free black man Cornel West approaches atheism, too. Of course the idolatry he condemns isn't on supernatural characters who've lost their popularity. He wants to mutually agree upon the dangerous idols currently leading folks towards doom, which therefore necessitates redemption.

quote:

"I come from the school of thought that believes that a certain kind of atheism is always healthy. Because what atheism does is that it at least cleans the deck, because it claims that all gods are idols. And most gods are idols. It's just that the prophetic tradition (be it Judaism, Islam, or Christianity) are tied to this god of love and justice. But because we live in a society in which idolatry is so ubiquitous... viewing life as a gold rush, end up worshipping a golden calf, and the golden rule becomes, 'Those who have the gold will rule'.

That's idolatry all the way down. So a lot of people who've lost faith in 'God', it's a very healthy thing because the 'God' that they've lost faith in was probably in idol anyway.

And the challenge becomes, are you still open enough and vulnerable enough in your soul to be open to something bigger than you that's connected to a love and justice, to an honesty, decency, and integrity. Secular folks will have their language for it, Jewish brothers and sisters, Islamic brothers and sisters will have their language for it, and some of us will still put Jesus at the center of it.

But at least you clear the deck for the idolatry, because it's so difficult, especially in our society, not to be seduced by the idols. In the academy, everybody wants to be smart. That's nothing but idolatry. Let the phones be smart, you got to be wise. You have to have courage, you have to have a willingness to take a risk and be vulnerable.

Smart folk don't like to do that. Smart folk like to go after big money and status. Noo. Once tied to love and justice, they got to be improvisational, flexible, jazz-like, knowing you can hit the wrong chord, but that's all right. You keep playing anyway, and maybe listen a little closer, because together, in community, you can do something you didn't even conceive you could do before."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWIsawVjvWI

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If that's too much then skip ahead any time it starts talking about genealogies.

If that's too much then read the Gospels because that'll probably give you the most immediate insight into the origins/ethos of Christianity as a religion.

I'd recommend starting with the Gospels, as well, then Acts. The Epistles are exposition on theology and solving problems in individual churches, so they're a bit more abstract.

The Old Testament is a load. There's lots of different books from different times and authors, with different points of view and types of writing so it's hard to grasp what it's all about. Skim some of the OT stuff, reading a chapter or two from a few books here and there to get a feel for them. Go back and read in depth as they interest you.

You'll also need to spend some time on the general history of the Near East from approximately 2000 BC to 100 AD to have a sense of the flow of events and cultures.

Much of it is going to be very confusing and jumbled for a while, but over time it will coalesce and make more sense.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If you are going to read any bit of the Old Testament, read The Book of Job.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
most of the songs from the services just before easter are extremely metal

it is literally

"Jesus is coming for hell, and boy is he pissed"

i cannot understand why some people on r/orthodoxchristianity want to steer us toward substitutionary atonement, Christus Victor not only has more pleasant implications for what it says about human nature but it's also boss as hell. Also as far as i know nothing in the liturgies leading up to easter say anything that implies substitutionary atonement. I think they just confuse a dark view of humanity with rigor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Josef bugman posted:

This is extreme good advice. Job is probably the most fascinating single book in the OT.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

This is extreme good advice. Job is probably the most fascinating single book in the OT.

It's a book I hated as a child, but have grown to really appreciate as an adult.

I also have a soft spot for Daniel. Half of it is Bible stories every Christian kid knows. The other half is weird.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Book of Daniel is super theologically important because it's where we first encounter Resurrection of the Dead.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Night10194 posted:

The Book of Daniel is super theologically important because it's where we first encounter Resurrection of the Dead.

It's also a great example of a book that is deceptively complicated. The current consensus is that it is a work of historical fiction, written in 164 BC during the Hasmonean revolution but set in the Babylonian captivity. It operates on so many different levels simultaneously, it's just :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deteriorata posted:

It's also a great example of a book that is deceptively complicated. The current consensus is that it is a work of historical fiction, written in 164 BC during the Hasmonean revolution but set in the Babylonian captivity. It operates on so many different levels simultaneously, it's just :psyduck:

Yep! Major work of religious propaganda to say 'Yes, we should fight for our faith and resist in the face of those goddamn Selucids'.

To be fair the Selucid king did sacrifice a pig on the Holy of Holies after sacking Jerusalem despite it being his vassal already. That's how you get determined religious rebellions!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

it is literally

i cannot understand why some people on r/orthodoxchristianity want to steer us toward substitutionary atonement, Christus Victor not only has more pleasant implications for what it says about human nature but it's also boss as hell. Also as far as i know nothing in the liturgies leading up to easter say anything that implies substitutionary atonement. I think they just confuse a dark view of humanity with rigor.

Link?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oxford Study Bible is digestible but thorough and academic. I’d start with that.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Senju Kannon posted:

someone with a gun to the back of my head: tell me a good book about biblical studies
me: s...sex and the single savio-
*gun cocking noise*: mainstream, not postmodern
me, shaking: m... musa dube
*gunshot*

interestingly the professor who teaches the NT course on open yale courses IS the guy who wrote sex and the single savior

which was meh, the corinthian body was super good tho

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GUNS posted:

it is literally

What if I told you Christus Victor is compatible substitutionary atonement?

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought that The Bible as Living Literature edited by Ernest Sutherland Bates was a useful abridgment of the Bible. This version takes out verse numbers to make the Bible read most like a novel. It keeps most of the Bible stories while removing most of the genealogies and legal codes. It’s no substitute for reading through the entire Bible, but it’s much easier to get through and makes the time commitment only around as much as reading something like War and Peace .

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
nice, I knew they couldn't let MLK50 get away without some poo poo

woo hoo this is a doozy

quote:

By the way, for the sake of the weeping and gnashing of teeth I can already hear, there are plenty of quality and qualified men of color who could run our convention entities (in the same way there are many – I presume – “good” Southern Baptist churches comprised of primarily of black people)

make kinism great again

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered
Let those who hate Him flee from before His face
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by
death, And on those in the tombs bestowing life.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's a lot of words to say "i hate black people"

fake edit: to the thing phlegmatist posted not uh not rodrigo diaz to be clear

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
arguing with these people is fun though like, "can you explain critical race theory? I'm unfamiliar with that term." and then they just freeze up

because they don't know what the gently caress they believe, they just say the magic words of cultural marxism and frankfurt school and expect everyone to nod along in agreement because those words are very big and powerful

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

arguing with these people is fun though like, "can you explain critical race theory? I'm unfamiliar with that term." and then they just freeze up

because they don't know what the gently caress they believe, they just say the magic words of cultural marxism and frankfurt school and expect everyone to nod along in agreement because those words are very big and powerful
my favorite one is the people who think marxism and postmodernism are the same

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Mainly, I just lurk here and read y’alls debates. Who is this guy, and with whom is he affiliated? Awful to read that.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

my favorite one is the people who think marxism and postmodernism are the same

oh dont worry

there's postmodern power games applied to everyone but asians

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Mainly, I just lurk here and read y’alls debates. Who is this guy, and with whom is he affiliated? Awful to read that.

Pulpit and Pen is...a hyper-Calvinist blog that treads really close to Kinist (Calvinist White Supremacist) territory. Their few supporters are all over Calvinist Facebook groups and very vocal. But most Calvinists rightly judge it as completely insane.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 9, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ThePopeOfFun posted:

The blog is run by a guy named J.D. Hall, who is pastor of Fellowship Baptist Church in Sidney, Montana. He's a nasty individual and cyberbully, and his online harassment of a teenager, help3f drive the kid to suicide.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I'd rather have Eastern Lightning cultists instead of J.D. Hall cultists in my group tbh

e: at this point, three hours in to a loving internet argument I'm just praying that St. Francis de Sales, saint of owning Calvinists, steps in

e2: who's the patron saint against ancaps.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 9, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Phlegmatist posted:

e2: who's the patron saint against ancaps.

St. Matthew is the patron saint of economists.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

oh dont worry

there's postmodern power games applied to everyone but asians

you think the originators of these right wing memes actually understood what critical race theory and post-modernism are and just turned them into buzzwords devoid of meaning to enrage white people or do you think they did eisegisis and actually think that's what critical race theory and post-modernism are

are the right liars or idiots, the debate continues

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epicurius posted:

St. Matthew is the patron saint of economists.

phlegmatist said against, not for

fuckin economics, it's a fake science taught by ideologues who operate solely within the realm of their own ideas. economists are theologians and the free market is their god

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I know phlegmatic said against. That's why I suggested the patron saint of economists. No better way than to prove the failures of anarcho-capitalism than with economics.

Sorry you don't like economics.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm still sore about that paper inspiring so many european nations and american congresspeople to go for austerity, and when it turned out that the paper's spreadsheets were inaccurate because of human error and that austerity actually DEADENS economic growth after a market crash, people STILL cite the drat paper to prioritize cutting government services and giving tax breaks!!

fuckin bastards.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Epicurius posted:

I know phlegmatic said against. That's why I suggested the patron saint of economists. No better way than to prove the failures of anarcho-capitalism than with economics.

Sorry you don't like economics.

It's a broad field with lots of entrenched, internal, and fundamental disagreements. For a long time in my life, the field has been dominated by market-driven policy advisers. But within the field you get dissenting voices like Khaneman and Tiversky with their work in behavioral economics that keeps track of the failed assumptions of microeconomics at the scope of the individual. You also have Thomas Piketty, with his models that predict an indefinitely increasing level of economic inequality unless interrupted by a shock to the economy, and with his recommendations to consider supernational (or even worldwide) taxes on wealth and income.

Almost every professional, professorial economist is a member of the upper bourgeoisie, but a slice of them have nevertheless tied their work to undermining the self-serving assumptions of the status quo. I predict we'll get few saints or prophets from professional economics, but there'll be enough for the ultimate redemption.

Bias disclosure, though: I studied economics in college, and right now I'm cleaning homes. I'm humbly reminded that in the first place, economics is Greek for the study of the home.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Deteriorata posted:

I'd recommend starting with the Gospels, as well, then Acts. The Epistles are exposition on theology and solving problems in individual churches, so they're a bit more abstract.

The Old Testament is a load. There's lots of different books from different times and authors, with different points of view and types of writing so it's hard to grasp what it's all about. Skim some of the OT stuff, reading a chapter or two from a few books here and there to get a feel for them. Go back and read in depth as they interest you.

Thanks, this is almost exactly what I was looking for. Which New Testament should I download/read or does it not matter? I know that there's a King James version, and Wikipedia tells me there are many more versions as well.

e: It's not that the Bible is too big or "too much" to read, it's just I literally have no idea where to start or what order to read things in. I have attended church services before of various denominations and the priest up front always jumped around from story to story, passage to passage. I just thought that there might be a reason for that.

Josef bugman posted:

Night10194 posted:

I honestly can't tell if you guys trolling me or not.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Oxford Study Bible is digestible but thorough and academic. I’d start with that.

Wikipedia posted:

The Oxford Annotated Bible (OAB) is a study Bible published by the Oxford University Press (OUP). The notes and the study material feature in-depth academic research from non-denominational perspectives, specifically secular perspectives for "Bible-as-literature" with a focus on the most recent advances in historical criticism and related disciplines, with contributors from mainline Protestant, Roman Catholic, Jewish, and non-religious interpretative traditions.

Thanks. That description sounds exactly like what I was looking for.

Barlow posted:

I thought that The Bible as Living Literature edited by Ernest Sutherland Bates was a useful abridgment of the Bible. This version takes out verse numbers to make the Bible read most like a novel. It keeps most of the Bible stories while removing most of the genealogies and legal codes. It’s no substitute for reading through the entire Bible, but it’s much easier to get through and makes the time commitment only around as much as reading something like War and Peace .

Thanks! I'll put this on the list in case I need more things to read. The OAB sounds like it'll keep me busy for a while.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 9, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I honestly can't tell if you guys trolling me or not.

Nah, Job is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Job's an interesting piece of literature but I'm not sure what spiritual message I'm supposed to get out of it.

• Locked thread