Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is there a reason why FaceID is being used for sites that don't need FaceID? If you look in Settings there's a section for sites that use FaceID and that hasn't expanded, but it seems to be using it regardless whether it's needed or not.

unlock your keychain maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You mention “family” so this may not apply, but if you don’t know the individual Unlimited sub is $79/yr for Prime customers.

Yeah, I have thought about doing the individual Unlimited but my each of my daughters like listening to different music in the morning.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It’s not failing for me, but it’s more annoying now on websites. In safari I used to load up my work email web portal, it would auto initiate Face ID, and enter my password for me. Now it loads the page, I have to touch the password field, I get the pop up above the keyboard prompting me to choose the password for the site, then it starts Face ID and types in the password. Stupid, unnecessary steps were added.

Ah. That's not what's happening for me. It just flat out doesn't recognize my face. Reset Face ID, rescanning my visage, and it fails to recognize me immediately after. Reboot phone, same. Frustrated because it was seamless and effortless up until I updated to 11.3. :smith:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm here to complain about battery life again without regularly browsing the thread so sorry if it's a common thing.

A month ago I got a fresh battery from Apple for my 6S because it was degraded as is typical. Before that I had downloaded whatever battery life app was recomended here which tells you the actual current capacity and thus lets you see how much it's been degraded over time. It was around 80% in that app, and this was confirmed by whatever diagnostic Apple ran at the store when I brought it in.

The new battery read as max at first, and was clearly lasting longer as expected at first. But now it's every bit as bad as the old one was (maybe worse), and the app is saying it's even worse now (in the 70% range).

This doesn't even make sense to me from a technical standpoint, because it should take hundreds of cycles for a battery to lose this much capacity. I assume the solution is go complain to Apple, but is this a common problem?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No it's not common but also any usermode software on iOS can't actually tell what your battery % is, unless you're on 11.3 in which case iOS will tell you what the controller is saying in the Settings -> Battery menu. Which you can also get from coconutbattery on macOS connected to your iOS device. In general no what you're seeing isn't normal and you should probably complain to Apple

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yeah, I have thought about doing the individual Unlimited but my each of my daughters like listening to different music in the morning.
Makes sense. Not trying to sell, but I just noticed their family Unlimited plan is now $149/yr for Prime members, too. That must be relatively new.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I’ve had automatic app update on forever and I think my phone finally updated apps automatically on its own for the first time 🤔

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ha ha, next you're gonna tell me wifi sync worked too, right?

April 1st was 4 days ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I’ve had automatic app update on forever and I think my phone finally updated apps automatically on its own for the first time 🤔

Mine always update when I dock my phone in my car mount and I’m pulling out of my driveway going off WiFi 🤔

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pivo posted:

No it's not common but also any usermode software on iOS can't actually tell what your battery % is, unless you're on 11.3 in which case iOS will tell you what the controller is saying in the Settings -> Battery menu. Which you can also get from coconutbattery on macOS connected to your iOS device. In general no what you're seeing isn't normal and you should probably complain to Apple
Thanks, just updated to 11.3 and it says maximum capacity is 100%. I'll see if that lasts or the fast drain behavior continues.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Mine always update when I dock my phone in my car mount and I’m pulling out of my driveway going off WiFi 🤔

Yeah I think I had just plugged it in and was on WiFi. Really the first time that’s ever happened. Not sure if I somehow triggered it otherwise, I didn’t open the App Store at all.

:iiam:

xzzy posted:

Ha ha, next you're gonna tell me wifi sync worked too, right?

April 1st was 4 days ago.

Lmao

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 5, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Weedle posted:

The composition and recording must be licensed separately. If they don’t have the license for both they can’t make it available for streaming.

That's not true for normal playback, is it? Don't they just need to license the specific recording?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Josh Lyman posted:

That's not true for normal playback, is it? Don't they just need to license the specific recording?

That would have been my assumption

coke
Jul 12, 2009

pzy posted:

Isn't the iTunes Match limit something absurd like 50,000 songs?

AM + Match = the best of both worlds... you can still be an obsessive curator AND yell at Siri to shuffle some 90s grunge when you want

It's 100,000 songs.

If each song has an average length of 3 minutes, that's only 208 days of continuous plays.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, it is true, and no, they don’t just need to license the recording. They have to pay a music publishers’ clearinghouse which then disburses the appropriate fees to the songwriter.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

11.3 makes it so you have to confirm deletion of a text in messages. That’s annoying.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tiny Lowtax posted:

11.3 makes it so you have to confirm deletion of a text in messages. That’s annoying.

It's one extra button press right above the trash can button.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

My 7+ screen has started randomly blanking itself, is there a proximity sensor hole I need to clean out or something?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No it's under the glass at the top

Take it to Apple if it's loving up, it's nowhere near trivial to fix it yourself

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Just took the time to actually look at the new iPhone case spring colors. Feeling tempted by that denim blue. The other two new silicone colors are a bit too spectacular for me, but that denim blue might actually convince me to buy a blue iPhone case (the first... 6? shades of blue didn’t do it for me)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saddle brown is perfect year round.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Maneki Neko posted:

My 7+ screen has started randomly blanking itself, is there a proximity sensor hole I need to clean out or something?

The proximity sensor only kicks in on a phone call (or using the ear speaker playing back a voice recording), if it’s blacking out at other times, you’ve got other issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saddle brown is perfect year round.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Follow up to my weird Face ID failure.

Reboot didn’t fix it. Turned Face ID off entirely out of frustration. After about a day I got got curious and reenabled it, rescanned my face.

Back to working smoothly as if there was never a problem. :iiam:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CaptainCrunch posted:

Follow up to my weird Face ID failure.

Reboot didn’t fix it. Turned Face ID off entirely out of frustration. After about a day I got got curious and reenabled it, rescanned my face.

Back to working smoothly as if there was never a problem. :iiam:

Maybe your face was just hosed up for a few days ever consider that?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm getting a septorhinoplasty sometime soon (aka we'll fix what's really hosed but we'll also do a nose job)

Other than the weeks of recovery (oh no, I'll have to work from home!) I am kinda interested to see how FaceID will react

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pivo posted:

I'm getting a septorhinoplasty sometime soon (aka we'll fix what's really hosed but we'll also do a nose job)

Other than the weeks of recovery (oh no, I'll have to work from home!) I am kinda interested to see how FaceID will react

I didn't know there was a surgery to repair posting!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

It's one extra button press right above the trash can button.

Correct. An added step that was 100% unnecessary.

So far 11.3 hasn’t fixed any issues I was experiencing but has added a few more.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is there an app for email that lets you selectively stop checking for email on a specific account for a specific time frame? I’d like to not receive email on my work account after hours but I don’t want to completely remove it from my account

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't know there was a surgery to repair posting!

I'll go to an Apple-certified doctor, my nose will be easily pushed but not move very far and everyone will hate it but that one rear end in a top hat at that jazz bar you used to like will think it's "totally dope".

There will be a recall a few years down the line because for some reason it managed to overheat.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

dissss posted:

YouTube Red is well worth it - I put up with the crumminess of Play Music on iOS because the bundle is such good value.

YT Red owns imo. Play Music I wish Google put more effort into, I'd use it more.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TVs Ian posted:

The proximity sensor only kicks in on a phone call (or using the ear speaker playing back a voice recording), if it’s blacking out at other times, you’ve got other issues.

The screen shuts off (but doesn't lock) when anything gets within maybe 1/4-1/2 inch of the top speaker area regardless of what's going on. Guess I'll hit up the fruit store.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Maneki Neko posted:

The screen shuts off (but doesn't lock) when anything gets within maybe 1/4-1/2 inch of the top speaker area regardless of what's going on. Guess I'll hit up the fruit store.

Yeah, that’s where the sensor is, but the phone should be ignoring it unless the ear speaker is active.

A restore (I assume you’ve rebooted already) probably wouldn’t hurt, maybe there’s some kind of background task screwing things up, I think there are apps that use it to detect waving at the screen.

It could be some kind of weird short somewhere along the line, but even with bad/damaged parts, I’ve never seen one black out the screen outside phone calls & voice memos.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Maybe your face was just hosed up for a few days ever consider that?

In all honesty I did. :v: I had a sunburn that roughly coincided with it. Except re-scanning my face didn't fix the problem.
Like the part that logged the structure of my face and the part that scans it for unlocking weren't on speaking terms for 48 hours.

Lover's spat, I'm sure.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have experience with the Nomad Horween leather cases? I bought what appears to be a store return on Ebay for $4 and the volume down button is misaligned so the side of the cases presses against it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 7, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

what do you want us to do about it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pivo posted:

what do you want us to do about it
Google doesn't have anything to say on the matter, so I'm asking if anyone in the thread had a similar experience with this or other leather cases and if they were able to subsequently fix it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I think you just figured out why it was returned

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
You fix it by buying a case that costs more than $4. What were you expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple threads in a nutshell really