Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

catlord posted:

The Mask was interesting in that the original comics were super loving violent. He was a cartoon guy doing cartoon things to real people. The balloon animals scene is from the comic, except he absolutely wastes them. Stanley Ipkiss was a piece of poo poo who gets murdered after a Mask rampage, most of the comic is about a police detective using the mask to fight mobsters, there's a big guy named Walter who smashes a dude's head apart on a counter... and the movie was apparently supposed to be like that until Jim Carrey came across as really likeable in his audition and they made it more family-friendly, and then the cartoon followed that. Then the comics themselves started to get toned down because of the movie and cartoon.

Haven't read any of the sequels, but the original is pretty good, as long as you know what you're getting into.

I have the sequel,it's ok but not a patch on the original.
The art goes from sublime in the first book to decent but with godawful 90's background gradients in the second and the story is less of a thriller more of a stop-gap on the way to another story which i've never got round to.

But the second book has lady mask and Mask dressed as a Medival knight with a fully automatic crossbow which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Twitch posted:

Did any of those cartoon adaptations have the lead actors from the movie, other than the Bill & Ted cartoon?

Christopher Lloyd did live action segments for the Back to the Future cartoon, but then didn't do the voice for cartoon Doc for some reason.

The Addams Family cartoon was weird in that it followed after the success of the movie, yet Gomez was voiced by John Astin, who had played him in the '60s live action show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty rare for cartoon adaptations to have voices from their live-action inspirations. Weirdly enough a big exception is Star Trek The Animated Series, which is practically a continuation of the original show with almost all of the original cast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ernie Hudson auditioned to play Winston in The Real Ghostbusters but didn't get the part (Arsenio Hall played Winston).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I think Ben Stein played his character in the cartoon too

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I just had a flashback from that video. There were so many coked up cartoons in the '80s. They'd be on for one season and be gone. I watched all of them and thought they were high art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZY6tO97qj0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the cartoon Ghostbusters are deliberately different from the movie ones so they don't have to pay likeness rights.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
In terms of 80's cartoons that didn't age well, a friend of mine said he recently started a semi-ironic rewatch of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon and gave up after one episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I only learned a couple of years ago that Jackie Chan does not voice Jackie Chan in Jackie Chan adventures. Which I guess makes sense because you can tell by comparing the live action segments that the VA speaks much better English.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not Operator posted:

In terms of 80's cartoons that didn't age well, a friend of mine said he recently started a semi-ironic rewatch of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon and gave up after one episode.

I bought it on DVD because I had decent memories of the random episodes that were taped by my dad before I was born. Man that was a waste of money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I bought it on DVD because I had decent memories of the random episodes that were taped by my dad before I was born. Man that was a waste of money.

This is the only thing you need to watch involving the DnD cartoon. It also doubles as the only possible accurate movie version.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the cartoon Ghostbusters are deliberately different from the movie ones so they don't have to pay likeness rights.

Right. They lampshade it in the cartoon itself, with the Ghostbusters going to see their own movie and complaining the actors look all wrong.

the ghostbusters cartoon was way better than a cartoon cash in of a movie had any right to be

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rodbeard posted:

Jim Carrey rapes two people for overcharging him for car repairs in the movie version of the mask.

Ace Ventura gets blown so hard he has to hold on to the ceiling lest he gets sucked into the maelstrom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And while we're on the topic, nobody seems to remember that Ghostbusters has a TON of sex jokes and key plot elements involving sex. (which probably helps with the occult feel of things, and likely because the director is a genuine believer in occult things)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah and ghostbusters 2 had the river of cum that filled up the statue of liberty

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

yeah and ghostbusters 2 had the river of cum that filled up the statue of liberty

In fairness, everyone wants to fill that hottie with a river of cum

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was little, my grandmother had this video tape which was about three hours long that compiled loads of now-obscure cartoons, all the sort of thing you remember having seen but remember basically nothing about. One of the ones I've recently rediscovered via its theme song was a French (?) cartoon called The Fruitties (its main characters were an anthropomorphic banana, pineapple... and cactus). It looks terrible.

One I vaguely remember seeing and enjoying was this Spanish (?) series called Willy Fog which was an adaptation of Journey to the Centre of the Earth with anthropomorphic cats (sequel to an earlier series which adapted Around the World in 80 Days which I don't think I ever saw). It actually looks fairly good as far as animation goes, but that might be because loads of those cartoons had bespoke opening titles which looked better than the show itself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Given the comic book movie boom and a failure to do anything else with it, The Mask seems like a decent thing to do a Netflix anthology of. Effects might be through the roof unless they just got different directors/writers to do their own take on the concept of "Mask brings out the inner mania of its wearer" so you wouldn't have the films' cartoonishness in every one.

I dunno, I don't think it would actually be that bad. The cartoony style of the Mask's effects probably make it relatively cheap to do. The original movie didn't really have that big of a budget (adjusted for inflation, it cost less than S1 of Stranger Things) and we've had 25 years of advances in CG since then so you could probably do a series to the standards of the movie's effects for pretty cheap. If anything, I'd expect the cartoonishness to be a selling point since it would be way cheaper than doing the effects work on a traditional superhero.

EDIT: while hitting up google for some numbers I learned that the new Tick series cost $5 million a half hour, which is profoundly sad for how cheap it looks.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 8, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's pretty rare for cartoon adaptations to have voices from their live-action inspirations. Weirdly enough a big exception is Star Trek The Animated Series, which is practically a continuation of the original show with almost all of the original cast.

The TV show based on Disney's Hercules movie actually had James Woods reprise his role as Hades.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

The TV show based on Disney's Hercules movie actually had James Woods reprise his role as Hades.

He did it for the Kingdom Hearts games as well; it's apparently the one role he'll never say no to revisiting.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

From what I've heard, James Woods loves doing Hades enough, he'll do the role any time. That's why he's in Kingdom Hearts, too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

At one point the wizard pulls an aircraft carrier out of his hat and I’ve forever wondered why they never took advantage of that.

I’m not saying they could like drive the thing, but certainly you’d find some pretty good stuff in there.

That and Salvador are the only good things he’s ever done.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The two Hellboy DTVs also had Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Selma Blair, and John Hurt voice their characters too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Putting aside a tv cartoon show being able to pay A-list hollywood actors, most people don't realize that voice acting is pretty different from regular acting, and not everyone who's good at the one is good at the other.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also Jim Carrey would probably demand a Jim Carrey level salary for voicing Jim Carrey characters

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The Majestic was so cheap to make because he didn't know he was Jim Carrey until the last 20 minutes.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

EDIT: while hitting up google for some numbers I learned that the new Tick series cost $5 million a half hour, which is profoundly sad for how cheap it looks.

How much of that is Hollywood accounting to screw anybody who isn't a producer out of revenue?

Re: The Mask, I think the second series with the original writer and artist was the best one even with the ugly 90's gradients since they kept the bad coloring to the scenery and/or large blank spaces. A lot more story beyond "angry nerd kills people for petty revenge".

sweeperbravo posted:

In college I randomly looked up an episode on youtube. Holy poo poo it was so bad. Just like that lame, slow humor that probably a lot of shows from that era aimed at young kids had. I mean I love corny jokes but the pacing was just an enormous drag. 5 year old me had really low standards.

See, I think it's more the style of animation at the time compared to modern animation because I watched some Real Ghostbusters a few years ago and it just seemed like every bit of dialog was drawn out and staid, with a lot of dead time with the characters not saying anything. Now everything is rapid fire verbal gags and there's always someone talking.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Extreme ghostbusters is just too extreme for our rarefied 2018 sensibilities.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always enjoyed Alienators: Evolution, although didn't see the movie until much later. I thought Scopes was a cool recurring villain as the Pinnacle of his species Evolution, the final stage but he always got there via slightly different means so had an interesting form for each episode.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

purple death ray posted:

Putting aside a tv cartoon show being able to pay A-list hollywood actors, most people don't realize that voice acting is pretty different from regular acting, and not everyone who's good at the one is good at the other.

Yeah totally:

Accordion Man posted:

The two Hellboy DTVs also had Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Selma Blair, and John Hurt voice their characters too.

In the live action movies, Blair is one of the high points, but in these she's pretty low on the ability charts. Then again, her voice is pretty well, normal, while the other three have intensely distinct voices that are part of why they are famous. That said, those two DTV movies are actually really pretty good and I recommend them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, there's a Mask comic mini called The Hunt for Green October that would make a loving incredible movie if they want to reboot it. I burned through the ones I could find a while back and that was probably the highlight of the sequels for me.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, there's a Mask comic mini called The Hunt for Green October that would make a loving incredible movie if they want to reboot it. I burned through the ones I could find a while back and that was probably the highlight of the sequels for me.

I wish comic book movie people would just go hot wild on the most ridiculous comic premises.

Gimme the Red Son movie, Hollywood. Gimme Archie Meets The Punisher. Have Squirrel Girl end the Infinity War.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah totally:

In the live action movies, Blair is one of the high points, but in these she's pretty low on the ability charts. Then again, her voice is pretty well, normal, while the other three have intensely distinct voices that are part of why they are famous. That said, those two DTV movies are actually really pretty good and I recommend them.
The fact that we will never get the third DTV which would have had Bruce Campbell as Lobster Johnson will never stop hurting. :smith:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not Operator posted:

Anyone remember Thundarr the Barbarian?

I thought that was the absolute tits when I was a kid. If you're not familiar with the show, the premise is that in the year 1994, an asteroid collides with the moon, loving up earth's whole ecosystem and plunging humanity into a weird apocalyptic scenario.

In the actual year 1994, a guy who lived in the same college dorm as me scored a rare bootleg VHS copy of Thundarr at a comic con. gently caress yeah, Thundarr marathon! We threw a party just to celebrate his finding this tape in such an auspicious year.

Even drunk/high/20 year old me was filled with disappointment at how lovely this treasured childhood memory was. I can't imagine how sad it would make me now. :(

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Not Operator posted:

I wish comic book movie people would just go hot wild on the most ridiculous comic premises.

Gimme the Red Son movie, Hollywood. Gimme Archie Meets The Punisher. Have Squirrel Girl end the Infinity War.
A Doom Patrol movie could be amazing, but I know DC and Warner would never do it justice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Accordion Man posted:

The third was going to have Bruce Campbell playing Lobster Johnson but the first two didn't sell well enough to make it happen.

Edit: drat I was beaten to my post by a long rear end time

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Accordion Man posted:

A Doom Patrol movie could be amazing, but I know DC and Warner would never do it justice.

Did you ever see the DC Nation Shorts of the original Doom Patrol? They were strangely super accurate to the random "My Strangest Adventure!" issues they were adapting. Clancy Brown played Negative Man, and Jeffery Combs played The Chief.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Did you ever see the DC Nation Shorts of the original Doom Patrol? They were strangely super accurate to the random "My Strangest Adventure!" issues they were adapting. Clancy Brown played Negative Man, and Jeffery Combs played The Chief.
Yeah, a bunch of those were cool like the Plastic Man and Shade, The Changing Man shorts so of course they never made anything out of them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

At one point the wizard pulls an aircraft carrier out of his hat and I’ve forever wondered why they never took advantage of that.

I’m not saying they could like drive the thing, but certainly you’d find some pretty good stuff in there.

That and Salvador are the only good things he’s ever done.

The man himself is trash but Videodrome is one of the best movies ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Diggstown is awesome. But yes, it'd be extremely funny if James Woods was beaten to death with his own shoes.