Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fly Molo posted:

lol, by that logic when is the correct 'moral' time to have kids? Throughout the entirety of the Cold War, there was a good chance anyone having kids was going leave them to grow up orphans (or dead) in the ruins of a nuclear holocaust. Pre-WWII? Nope. Earlier? Nope, there's a good chance they'd die in a different huge war/crop failure/epidemic. Nobody knows their kids are going to have a better life than them, in any time period, in any country.

poo poo's going to suck, but that doesn't mean life's not worth living.

I think the difference for these postets is that:
-Cold war: death is uncertain, quality of life is still increasing, death by nukes likely quick. Worth.
-Earlier: death is uncertain, quality of life still increasing, death by famine is painful but the risk is mitigated by being regional, not global like MAD
-Now:

Whether the last point is true depends on your read of climate inflection points (they seem to generate the most :derp: itt and elsewhere--it's the inflection points within 1.5-2C scientists will tell you over a beer that they think will transformatively affect our already-strained biosphere). For someone who believes that the greatest sum of human suffering to be borne by war, hunger, conservative totalitarianism, and disaster is going to be shouldered on those who are already alive, children are as out of the question as giving birth into a meat grinder.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think the greatest sticking point I've received on Thug reactions to newly discovered tipping points is distaste for the nonstop "Well bottom line this only represents X GT or Y years of emissions," as though (a) the pace of their discovery both in climate models and in the living planet isn't an alarm to horrifying net emissions we don't yet have a magnitude to assign (b) we don't keep finding as a rule of thumb that everything we understood economically, politically, and in paleoclimate as of ar5 is uselessly optimistic

You either can look up from the page and note, "Golly, we're evolving our understanding of climate science awfully fast and almost entirely in a bleak direction" or keep tallying two GT here, a year of anthropogenic emissions equivalent there and convince yourself that everything is going to be fine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There is a frustration coming out of ar6 wg2 wg1 gently caress me on ability to manage in fall's outline what has become a wider climate consensus, thanks to the lid essentially coming off when looking beyond direct and classic secondary forcing factors. It's a management mess, and the can is somewhat kicked down the road for author summits

The frustrations of wg2 are and have been technical, ie "this is genocide of small islands"

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 7, 2018

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fly Molo posted:

lol, by that logic when is the correct 'moral' time to have kids? Throughout the entirety of the Cold War, there was a good chance anyone having kids was going leave them to grow up orphans (or dead) in the ruins of a nuclear holocaust. Pre-WWII? Nope. Earlier? Nope, there's a good chance they'd die in a different huge war/crop failure/epidemic. Nobody knows their kids are going to have a better life than them, in any time period, in any country.

poo poo's going to suck, but that doesn't mean life's not worth living.

Do you get the difference between 'poo poo might suck' and 'poo poo will suck'?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

There is a frustration coming out of ar6 wg2 wg1 gently caress me on ability to manage in fall's outline what has become a wider climate consensus, thanks to the lid essentially coming off when looking beyond direct and classic secondary forcing factors. It's a management mess, and the can is somewhat kicked down the road for author summits

The frustrations of wg2 are and have been technical, ie "this is genocide of small islands"

I'd be very interested in hearing more about this if you have any more info or material.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

call to action posted:

Do you get the difference between 'poo poo might suck' and 'poo poo will suck'?

You're right, correction: anyone ever born suffers. It's inevitable. Life and death go hand in hand, but I'm still glad to have existed.

Not having kids won't save the world.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fly Molo posted:

You're right, correction: anyone ever born suffers. It's inevitable.

Are you really pretending like there's no difference between the normal amount of suffering we all get in our comfortable first world lives and what the future is going to look like for the next generations?

Fly Molo posted:

Not having kids won't save the world.

Yeah no poo poo, individual action is worthless at this point and everyone knows it. Anyone who disagrees needs to accept that having kids is the literal worst thing you can do for the environment. The big difference with this individual action is that it creates an entirely new person to experience an incredible magnitude of suffering for your own selfish nonsense reasons, whereas adopting a kid helps you alleviate to some degree what will still be a significant amount of suffering.

If people really can't see eye to eye on the idea that "creating more human suffering is worse than alleviating it" then I think we're all best off ditching this idiotic derail that never proves to be worth anything every time it happens for 200 posts.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 8, 2018

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

StabbinHobo posted:

we really should collab on some kind of OP update that represents some kind of summary-truce so we can stop going round and round *as* much

- we don't need a 1 child policy, we don't need any rules at all about what you cant or even shouldn't do
- really really basic healthcare for women like birth control, family-planning education, and access to abortion is very very effective
- after that the next most effective thing is secondary education levels

thats it. we can easily drop the replacement rate well below 2 with rudimentary healthcare and education. there does not need to be a stick *at all*.

this is not some vain morality tale about what you and your friends and family should do, this is about moving the global rate from 2.33 to like 1.8 over the course of 2 or 3 generations. the shift is from "have two or three kids" to "have one or two kids". THATS IT. STOP loving SPAZZING OUT ASSHOLES.

What I put in the OP is absolutely irrelevant because only two people have ever read it: me, and some guy who found a typo in it. Case and point, I've had the section you just requested in the OP since I first posted it over two years ago:

Uranium Phoenix posted:

f. Overpopulation
...Population control laws like China’s are rather draconian; there are better ways to stop growth. Empowering and educating women, as well as giving people the means to and choice to use birth control has proven to be extremely effective at lowering birth rates, and it has the side benefit of helping dismantle some of the horrendous sexism across the globe. Social programs that support families (like Social Security or welfare) also mean that families don’t need to have lots of kids for security or money. Through these social programs, we can encourage smaller families

People have been spazzing out about child-chat and other asinine bullshit since the thread before this. Short of a mod agreeing to probate/ban anyone who posts those same boring rehashes, the lovely posts in this thread will continue.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Guys, part F of my OP concerns humane access to family planning.

But don't talk about not having children, we can't have that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's "case in point" OP

:unsmigghh:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Potato Salad posted:

But don't talk about not having children, we can't have that.

ChairMaster posted:

Are you really pretending like there's no difference between the normal amount of suffering we all get in our comfortable first world lives and what the future is going to look like for the next generations?

Yeah no poo poo, individual action is worthless at this point and everyone knows it. Anyone who disagrees needs to accept that having kids is the literal worst thing you can do for the environment. The big difference with this individual action is that it creates an entirely new person to experience an incredible magnitude of suffering for your own selfish nonsense reasons, whereas adopting a kid helps you alleviate to some degree what will still be a significant amount of suffering.

If people really can't see eye to eye on the idea that "creating more human suffering is worse than alleviating it" then I think we're all best off ditching this idiotic derail that never proves to be worth anything every time it happens for 200 posts.

:thunk:

Choosing to have or not have kids depends entirely on your value system. If "Reduce # of Suffering" is the only goal in your ethical system, hail SS-18 Satan, let nuclear fire cleanse the earth, by all means. But the foundation principle of that system is "people being dead/not existing is better than being alive/existing". By that logic, human extinction is a goal, rather than something we should work collectively to prevent.

Suffering is inevitable, and things are going to get way loving shittier over the coming years and decades. But a lot of people also place value in the fact that you're giving your kids a chance to do things right, an opportunity to live and love and experience. The number of anti-natal folks in this thread has been bizarre to me. Go ahead and don't have kids, that's your choice, but don't act like it's some universal truth.

You see why people react to such statements (my bolding) with, "you sound depressed", right? That's straight-up suicide logic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Ero, the best environment is the one everything dies and ends suffering.

Jrpg epa head

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
It's not just about what's good for humanity, or what reduces or minimises human suffering. There's a non-zero and growing chance humans will devastate earth's entire biosphere. We're already causing extinctions at a record rate and we don't seem to be slowing down. How much value should we place on human civilization if it's mutually exclusive with the existence of other life on this planet?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uranium Phoenix posted:

What I put in the OP is absolutely irrelevant because only two people have ever read it: me, and some guy who found a typo in it. Case and point, I've had the section you just requested in the OP since I first posted it over two years ago:
lol owned

quote:

People have been spazzing out about child-chat and other asinine bullshit since the thread before this. Short of a mod agreeing to probate/ban anyone who posts those same boring rehashes, the lovely posts in this thread will continue.
oh great, the only thing less likely than people voluntarily stopping having kids: quality forum moderation

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ubachung posted:

It's not just about what's good for humanity, or what reduces or minimises human suffering. There's a non-zero and growing chance humans will devastate earth's entire biosphere. We're already causing extinctions at a record rate and we don't seem to be slowing down. How much value should we place on human civilization if it's mutually exclusive with the existence of other life on this planet?
This is repugnant.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys cannot be arguing in good faith if you're still trying to insist that saying "don't have kids" is the same thing as "sterilize the human race".

If you still think that individual action matters at all, then: owning a gas guzzling car that you don't need makes you a piece of poo poo, flying to every continent to take pictures of cats makes you a piece of poo poo, eating a lot of beef makes you a piece of poo poo, and above all else creating children rather than adopting them makes you a huge piece of poo poo. There's really no way around it.

Even in camp nihilist where we don't care about changing our life style to reduce emissions because global human civilization is ending either way, we still wouldn't have kids because of what a nightmare the future's going to be.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Cingulate posted:

This is repugnant.

That doesn't make it incorrect.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Do we even need to have this argument? Fixing our social issues with abortion and birth control so we don't have unwanted pregnancy may be enough. Out of everyone i know, only one couple actually sat down and decided they wanted kids. Everyone else had a "surprise" they felt pressured to keep.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we are all mistakes

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ChairMaster posted:

If you still think that individual action matters at all, then: owning a gas guzzling car that you don't need makes you a piece of poo poo, flying to every continent to take pictures of cats makes you a piece of poo poo, eating a lot of beef makes you a piece of poo poo, and above all else creating children rather than adopting them makes you a huge piece of poo poo. There's really no way around it.

You left off "pissing away electricity from coal-burning plants just to read and post on the SA forums" We're all poo poo, but does planet Earth even have any intrinsic value without the Something Awful dot com forums?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Potato Salad posted:

I think the greatest sticking point I've received on Thug reactions to newly discovered tipping points is distaste for the nonstop "Well bottom line this only represents X GT or Y years of emissions," as though (a) the pace of their discovery both in climate models and in the living planet isn't an alarm to horrifying net emissions we don't yet have a magnitude to assign (b) we don't keep finding as a rule of thumb that everything we understood economically, politically, and in paleoclimate as of ar5 is uselessly optimistic

You either can look up from the page and note, "Golly, we're evolving our understanding of climate science awfully fast and almost entirely in a bleak direction" or keep tallying two GT here, a year of anthropogenic emissions equivalent there and convince yourself that everything is going to be fine.

Okay this is great. I do all the math to show that these Arctic emissions amount to ~5% of human emissions at most, and so you come back telling me that actually we can't quantify them because "we don't yet have a magnitude to assign". You're essentially telling people to be really worried that permafrost melt is happening at all, but that we can just ignore the mounting evidence about its relatively low emissions rate. What a truly desperate argument. This is what happens when you pick your conclusion beforehand rather than following the evidence.

Also it's not at all true that "all our predictions are optimistic" or that the science is leading "almost entirely in a bleak direction". I know people are very invested in that narrative but it's time to grow up and face the facts.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

davebo posted:

You left off "pissing away electricity from coal-burning plants just to read and post on the SA forums" We're all poo poo, but does planet Earth even have any intrinsic value without the Something Awful dot com forums?

Food for thought: "being a poo poo" is a spectrum and not a binary. Browsing SA is less bad than mining bitcoin is less bad than lobbying for oil companies.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Talk about anything else, please. This is beyond tiresome.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Does anyone believe that genuine global cooperation on any effective climate plan is even possible? Like, the tech could be powerful and lowering fertility by standard of living is noble but it doesn't matter if the rich want to stay rich and everyone else would rather point fingers at different-colored others than pinch their comforts by going green unilaterally (beyond the self-serving token "I take the train and recycle bottles" BS).

This is ok because the right people will survive the coming hellscape and be better off for it. If you have a computer and could afford the :10bux: you and your spawn probably belong to this in-group. If people disappear from large parts of the earth it just means a return to a more natural state. If many people die, it solves the population problem. If pandas and elephants go extinct, it makes room for cool new variants of crows and dogs. If you feel guilty, remember that the problem is due to large scale social dysfunction far beyond your control. Everything is going to be ok.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Do we even need to have this argument? Fixing our social issues with abortion and birth control so we don't have unwanted pregnancy may be enough. Out of everyone i know, only one couple actually sat down and decided they wanted kids. Everyone else had a "surprise" they felt pressured to keep.
What's your socio-economic context? Everyone I know knows how to use condoms :smug:

Also

Car Hater posted:

That doesn't make it incorrect.
"It would be better if everyone died" is not a statement with an empirical truth to it, it's a value statement. It can't be correct or incorrect, it can only be right or repugnant.
It's repugnant.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Cingulate posted:

This is repugnant.

Which part exactly? I stated some facts and posed a question. I didn't even state my own opinion. That's a pretty telling response though.

Life on earth goes beyond humanity, valuing human civilisation above all other life on earth is far more repugnant than anything I've written.

If I had to choose between humans and the rest of the natural world humans would be gone. Hopefully that's not an actual binary that we face.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Wait so is having kids good or bad

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

"It would be better if everyone died" is not a statement with an empirical truth to it, it's a value statement. It can't be correct or incorrect, it can only be right or repugnant.
It's repugnant.

ubachung posted:

ubachung posted:

Which part exactly? I stated some facts and posed a question. I didn't even state my own opinion. That's a pretty telling response though.

Life on earth goes beyond humanity, valuing human civilisation above all other life on earth is far more repugnant than anything I've written.

If I had to choose between humans and the rest of the natural world humans would be gone. Hopefully that's not an actual binary that we face.

I have no idea how telling people that they should kill themselves to save the planet is in any way a good thing to publicly say, especially if you want more people to support environmentalism.

No one is going to listen to environmental policies from a person who wants every human dead.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

I have no idea how telling people that they should kill themselves to save the planet is in any way a good thing to publicly say, especially if you want more people to support environmentalism.

No one is going to listen to environmental policies from a person who wants every human dead.

Where did I say anyone should kill themselves? If you can't argue in good faith, addressing the actual words in front of you instead of an imagined strawman, don't bother responding.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Cingulate posted:

This is repugnant.

It's also completely specious. Humanity is not going to wipe out life on earth. We've already been through five mass extinctions, and that's only counting the biggest ones, and humans can at worst trigger a sixth. Animal life will eventually recover and keep going for another few hundred million years until solar intensity rises and wipes it all out, returning the planet to the microbes.

But beyond that, it doesn't actually matter if animals go extinct beyond what humans have invested in them, (morally, practically, or otherwise). The average lifespan of a mammal species is around one million years, and every species we're conserving will eventually join the 99.9% of species in extinction. There is no morality in nature. So, in addition to being completely ethically bankrupt, that guy's perspective makes no sense. It's based on a prosaic, anthropocentric view of a nature that values conservation and preservation, whereas nature itself is completely amoral and will, in time, wipe out these species with far greater ruthlessness and totality than humans could even possibly hope for.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ubachung posted:

Where did I say anyone should kill themselves? If you can't argue in good faith, addressing the actual words in front of you instead of an imagined strawman, don't bother responding.

ubachung posted:

If I had to choose between humans and the rest of the natural world humans would be gone

ubachung posted:

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but at this point I expect humanity is going to at best kill off a large portion of itself. Honestly my biggest concern is that we might manage to take a significant proportion of animal and plant life with us.

Hmmm, not sure

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Ok you've changed my mind. Forget hypotheticals, regardless of the threat to the rest of the natural world all humans should definitely die, preferably by their own hands.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Banana Man posted:

Wait so is having kids good or bad

good because it means u did sex

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ubachung posted:

Ok you've changed my mind. Forget hypotheticals, regardless of the threat to the rest of the natural world all humans should definitely die, preferably by their own hands.
If you think you've been mischaracterised, now would be a good time to set the record straight, cause to a few people here, including me, looks kinda like you think it wouldn't be so bad if everyone died. Like humanity deserves to die because of what it's done to the planet.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

FistEnergy posted:

good because it means u did sex

I have children and did ivf- so I didn’t even have sex to make mine :/

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have children and did ivf- so I didn’t even have sex to make mine :/

Does this mean you got cucked by a test tube?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

Does this mean you got cucked by a test tube?

Or the fertility doctor!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Fly Molo posted:

Hmmm, not sure

As I read it, he's reacting to the possibility of something akin to murder-suicide.

As a species, we rely on 'free' goods and services from the environment. While improbable, it's possible that we will alter the environment past the point where humanity can be supported. I think he's reacting to that supposition with eliminationist rhetoric.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Have as many kids as you want, just don't raise them to be civilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

What's your socio-economic context? Everyone I know knows how to use condoms :smug:

Poor to lower middle class in the American south. Almost nobody I know with children planned for them, and they all seem to be really poor and unhappy about having them. I guess my point is lets worry about that first because its a much less controverial argument. Lets get to the point where only happy stable couples are having children. Then if the population is still rising too fast we can go from there.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 9, 2018