Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

Nah it's anime garbage.

Second best MGS game is revengeance

You call something anime garbage (animes ftw dude) but then say the literal anime game with robot ninjas cutting 5 story tall robots in half with high frequency blades is better

Revengance is also badass but you cant really dismiss 2 on the basis of anime and come back around saying how much you liked the game with the brazillian samurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

ditty bout my clitty posted:

One of which got pretty molested by a handsome australian

I think it was very progressive to put a rich male honkey in the role of a helpless victim and implied rape survivor.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

Revengance is also badass but you cant really dismiss 2 on the basis of anime and come back around saying how much you liked the game with the brazillian samurai

Actually I can, welcome to the unpopular videogame opinions thread.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

actual unpopular opinion i hold:

i have only had issues with the camera in like one or two 3d games ever, stretching back to the drat PS1, and every time someone complains about a camera in a game unless it's a really specific situation like "oh yeah the camera hangs weird at this one setpiece and it sucks" or something i kind of think that you just might be bad at video games

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

food court bailiff posted:

i have only had issues with the camera in like one or two 3d games ever, stretching back to the drat PS1, and every time someone complains about a camera in a game unless it's a really specific situation like "oh yeah the camera hangs weird at this one setpiece and it sucks" or something i kind of think that you just might be bad at video games

I agree with this mostly but I played Dark Souls on M+KB and the camera is just HOLY gently caress

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

While MGS3 is clearly the best, MGS2: Substance is easily the second-best MGS game. The main game is okay, but the VR missions and Snake Tales are amazing. For this same reason, MGS: Ground Zeroes is a close third. MGS1 takes fourth, MGSV fifth, and MGS4 sixth, but are still way better than most games.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’m with you. I can’t really remember a game that the camera was so bad it was unplayable. I remember people complaining about the Mario64 camera. Like, seriously? Even the alternatives from the era were perfectly playable (and you could point directly at Lara Croft’s butt, unlike today’s inferior camera)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jeza posted:

I played Dark Souls on M+KB

:stonk:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

All these amateurs doing "100% clear, no deaths, played with baguette instead of controller" don't know poo poo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unpopular opinion: Guild Wars 2 is a great game that has gotten better with new releases. It is the exact right mix of "you don't need to be a neckbeard poopsocker to get a lot out of this game" and "if you are a poopsocker we've got poo poo for you too."

If it weren't for the bogglingly stupid decision to build the game on a modified version of the GW1 engine, meaning it can't take advantage of things like multithreading and will slow down on even top-tier PCs, it would be way more successful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Unpopular opinion: Guild Wars 2 is a great game that has gotten better with new releases. It is the exact right mix of "you don't need to be a neckbeard poopsocker to get a lot out of this game" and "if you are a poopsocker we've got poo poo for you too."

If it weren't for the bogglingly stupid decision to build the game on a modified version of the GW1 engine, meaning it can't take advantage of things like multithreading and will slow down on even top-tier PCs, it would be way more successful.

GW2 is really good but I think the things that hold it back are:

- Too many things earned pretty much just through gold and/or grinding map currencies. It's obviously an easy way to add new content, but "just keep getting currency" is kinda boring. Things like the Caladbolg Regrown quest and the griffon quest at the end of PoF were fantastic and I wish there was just a little more of that kind of thing for stuff like legendary weapons.

- Certain things being only ever gem store items. For example, mount skins. If they'd just take like one cool skin per mount type and put it behind a short quest or even a collection instead of the gem store, I'd be happier. But there's this hard-and-fast rule that means every mount customization can only be in the gem store, and it limits how many cool things they can reward you with for playing the game. I'm not asking for no gem store skins or anything crazy like that, just one or two skins per mount type earned through gameplay instead.

Those things combined sometimes make it hard to motivate myself to play for very long. Collections and quests are cool, but just grinding for currency (either to buy things directly or convert into gems) burns me out quickly.

But it's still a really good game and it's cool that each major story patch adds a new open world zone. Also has the best implementation of mounts ever in any MMO.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I do agree. GW2 is massively flawed. What it does well it does *really* well.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
There wasn't anything wrong with the motion controls in Zelda Skyward Sword. If they made the game unplayable for you, you just sucked at it. Note I don't mean to say that motion controls were a good addition, just that it wasn't really that difficult to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The flying controls were bad and uncomfortable but the rest of the motion controls were fine.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

The Nintendo Switch loving sucks and it makes me mad to think about how retarded I was for buying it full price on release day every time I look at it. Its library consists entirely of ports of indie games that came out 1-5 years ago except they cost double the price of what they were new. Splatoon sucks if you've ever played a game where you shoot guns before. The controllers lose connection if they move slightly behind your knee. All the upcoming games are also ports. For being a 'portable' system, the battery lasts maybe 3 hours. Sleep mode still drains battery like crazy. My PSP Go has been on 3 bars of charge for months. The hardware would be forgiven if there was any software to back it up but it's just not the case. But all I ever see of the Switch is people singing its praises so idk.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
switch is a waste of time. android tablet + bluetooth controller is the way to go

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

The Nintendo Switch loving sucks and it makes me mad to think about how retarded I was for buying it full price on release day every time I look at it. Its library consists entirely of ports of indie games that came out 1-5 years ago except they cost double the price of what they were new. Splatoon sucks if you've ever played a game where you shoot guns before. The controllers lose connection if they move slightly behind your knee. All the upcoming games are also ports. For being a 'portable' system, the battery lasts maybe 3 hours. Sleep mode still drains battery like crazy. My PSP Go has been on 3 bars of charge for months. The hardware would be forgiven if there was any software to back it up but it's just not the case. But all I ever see of the Switch is people singing its praises so idk.

this dude is so stupid he's apparently been using faulty controllers for over a year and not even realized it lol

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

this dude is so stupid he's apparently been using faulty controllers for over a year and not even realized it lol

I cant be bothered digging it out of the drawer and sending it to nintendo.I think i missed the free repair anyway

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Downwell is a perfect game

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

how do you play games with a controller behind your knee

like are you squatting down and holding the controller under your butt as if to poop on it?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

a new study bible! posted:

Downwell is a perfect game

Not an unpopular opinion, I posted it in the first ten pages and it's still true

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I wanted to love Guild Wars 2 but it was trash, hard trash

The gameplay was just too dull and the world was too packed with garbage trash mobs. It never felt like a world, just a gauntlet of neverending TRASH

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I tried to like Downwell but I didn't get the appeal at all.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

veni veni veni posted:

I tried to like Downwell but I didn't get the appeal at all.

You go down the well

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

how do you play games with a controller behind your knee

like are you squatting down and holding the controller under your butt as if to poop on it?

Imagine sitting like this but with a controller where the asian man's left hand is. Your knee blocks the sensors lmao

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I don't know what Downwell is

is it some more indy trash?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Fartbox posted:

I don't know what Downwell is

is it some more indy trash?

It's a fast paced platformer with procedural stages where you are constantly falling down a well and have guns on your boots and shoot at baddies with your boots on the way down the well and it's 3 colors and has a ton of different neat pallets you can unlock to change the way it looks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I was thinking about buying a switch. Haven't had a console since PS2 but I want something casual and fun. Wii is too old, and Wii U costs almost as much as switch anyways :shrug:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sid Vicious posted:

It's a fast paced platformer with procedural stages where you are constantly falling down a well and have guns on your boots and shoot at baddies with your boots on the way down the well and it's 3 colors and has a ton of different neat pallets you can unlock to change the way it looks

also it is perfect

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

a new study bible! posted:

also it is perfect

i use pastel

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Imagine sitting like this but with a controller where the asian man's left hand is. Your knee blocks the sensors lmao

"gosh this console is really bad at the one thing it's advertised to do, surely this widely reported hardware issue is totally normal operation, better toss it in a closet and complain on the internet a year later when I can't get it fixed for free like a big fat idiot"

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

"gosh this console is really bad at the one thing it's advertised to do, surely this widely reported hardware issue is totally normal operation, better toss it in a closet and complain on the internet a year later when I can't get it fixed for free like a big fat idiot"

Shigeru Miyamoto isn't going to gently caress you dude

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sid Vicious posted:

i use pastel

I use the inverted normal colours

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

2house2fly posted:

I use the inverted normal colours

that hurts my eyes but i respect your choice

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
DmC is actually a pretty ok game and anyone who cried about Dante is a little bitch

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

a bone to pick posted:

Shigeru Miyamoto isn't going to gently caress you dude

Nintendo is the line for this thread. Anytime someone criticizes the switch, mario or whatever people come out of the woodwork. It's mostly due to SA's demographics having mostly 80s/90s kids.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

amusinginquiry posted:

DmC is actually a pretty ok game and anyone who cried about Dante is a little bitch

:agreed:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Nintendo is the line for this thread. Anytime someone criticizes the switch, mario or whatever people come out of the woodwork. It's mostly due to SA's demographics having mostly 80s/90s kids.

For sure there is Nintendo koolaid, and lots of people have drunk it. The long and short of Nintendo is that they have a small stable of IPs for which they release highly polished and fairly fun games for children. The Switch itself is another under-powered, gimmicky console at a lower price point than its competitors, which I guess is now they general MO. Even a year after release, there's really only two flagship games, and unsurprisingly it's Nintendo blowing their load on Mario and Zelda because they don't make anything else.

It's a great console for parents to buy their 5-13 year old kids for sure, and that's as far as it goes. You just can't trust the internet's opinion on Nintendo, just like you can't on things like Pokemon, anything related to Harry Potter and probably a few other sacred cows that are made for kids but are rabidly defended by people in their 20s-30s.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jeza posted:

For sure there is Nintendo koolaid, and lots of people have drunk it. The long and short of Nintendo is that they have a small stable of IPs for which they release highly polished and fairly fun games for children. The Switch itself is another under-powered, gimmicky console at a lower price point than its competitors, which I guess is now they general MO. Even a year after release, there's really only two flagship games, and unsurprisingly it's Nintendo blowing their load on Mario and Zelda because they don't make anything else.

It's a great console for parents to buy their 5-13 year old kids for sure, and that's as far as it goes. You just can't trust the internet's opinion on Nintendo, just like you can't on things like Pokemon, anything related to Harry Potter and probably a few other sacred cows that are made for kids but are rabidly defended by people in their 20s-30s.

Their handhelds pretty much have complete control of the market, although that might change with the switch's battery life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

Their handhelds pretty much have complete control of the market

only if you don't count cell phones as portable gaming devices