Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah that's no help. I was hoping there was a setting for choosing which standard(s) to use, i.e. b only, b/g, b/g/n, n only, n/a, ac only, and so forth. Most adapters I've encountered let you do this. The variety and specificity of choices varies, but every AC-capable adapter I've encountered lets you choose "AC only pls." Sometimes it's in the form of "disable [band(s)], like on one of mine I force 5GHz by selecting "disable b/g" because it doesn't do n over 2.4.

It's pathetic how woefully incapable mfgr's utilities tend to be. I'm sure there has to be something 3rd party out there for this but I've never needed such so I can't point you anywhere. :shrug:

Thanks im using the windows drivers currently, maybe I'll try downloading the Qualcomm drivers for that chipsets and see if there is something extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

One of the larger HDDs in my Plex server is showing a caution warning in CDI:

Based on that reallocated sector value, should I be worried? The drive is still under warranty for a few more months.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

teagone posted:

Based on that reallocated sector value, should I be worried? The drive is still under warranty for a few more months.

Yeah you should replace that disk. Warranty replace it if possible.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So my PC is having issues. As of yesterday my PC shuts off when I play games/run stress tests. I dusted my PC, reinstalled drivers etc. I ran several stress tests and it makes it past the 6 miniute mark. Which is weird because my GPU gets to 72 C at most and my CPU 54 C before my pc shuts off.

I kept a log of it with HWMonitor but I have no idea how to interpret these results https://share.rtechsupport.org/Log.CSV This all started yesterday, would this be a PSU issue?

I have these installed with no overclocking

650 W PSU
980 TI
i5 4690
16 GB of RAM

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Sounds like a PSU issue since nothing is overheating.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Yeah you should replace that disk. Warranty replace it if possible.

Apparently Toshiba RMA doesn't include a warranty replacement option. Once they receive the drive (I have to pay shipping, lame) and confirm it's defective, they will then issue me a VISA gift card in the amount I originally paid. Lmao, what a joke. Western Digital's RMA process is so much better.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

teagone posted:

Failed hard drive is failed. There is no such thing as a, “Meh, no biggie” value that can trip SMART. One tick above threshold means a bunch of sectors were already reallocated, and now you’re left with the impossible process of it wanting to reallocate more.

I know you’ve got a solid head on your shoulders from your various posts, but I have to laugh.

“My check engine light came on out of the blue. Should I be worried about checking my engine?”

“Nah, that’s just there to tell you that you need to clean out your cigarette lighter plug.”

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

To be fair, I honestly have no idea how to read into CDI values lol, that's why I ask in here for confirmation. The yellow caution color, to me, indicates that maybe if the value doesn't change at all, the drive could be fine until I inevitably replace it.

Either way, it looks like Toshiba's RMA process is poo poo. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they have anything else to offer than a loving VISA gift card.

[edit] Funnily enough, I mentioned the 5TB hard drive that I'm posting about now in my first post in this thread haha. ~3 years of continuous operation seems like a decent run for a relatively large HDD, right?

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 31, 2018

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Holy poo poo thanks for the warning about Toshiba (lack of) RMAs. I had no idea.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

teagone posted:

To be fair, I honestly have no idea how to read into CDI values lol, that's why I ask in here for confirmation. The yellow caution color, to me, indicates that maybe if the value doesn't change at all, the drive could be fine until I inevitably replace it.

Either way, it looks like Toshiba's RMA process is poo poo. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they have anything else to offer than a loving VISA gift card.

[edit] Funnily enough, I mentioned the 5TB hard drive that I'm posting about now in my first post in this thread haha. ~3 years of continuous operation seems like a decent run for a relatively large HDD, right?

You never really know with hard disks. Generally they have high failure rates in the first few months and then after about five years the failure rates increase a lot every year. It seems to depend a lot on the model since some are infamous for dying early but most will be dead early or late.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tapedump posted:

Failed hard drive is failed. There is no such thing as a, “Meh, no biggie” value that can trip SMART. One tick above threshold means a bunch of sectors were already reallocated, and now you’re left with the impossible process of it wanting to reallocate more.

I know you’ve got a solid head on your shoulders from your various posts, but I have to laugh.

“My check engine light came on out of the blue. Should I be worried about checking my engine?”

“Nah, that’s just there to tell you that you need to clean out your cigarette lighter plug.”

CDI info in unnecessarily confusing to understand and I don’t fault anyone for not knowing how to read it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

You're getting a ground loop between the devices causing noise to come out of the audio equipment:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/solving-computer-audio-problems

There's a lot of ground loop isolaters for a/v stuff but I'm not sure about USB. Maybe if you isolate the audio the USB won't be enough to cause issues:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...d=1H02WRAU3VUI8

This worked perfectly. Thanks for the info!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

FCKGW posted:

CDI info in unnecessarily confusing to understand and I don’t fault anyone for not knowing how to read it.

Hell s.m.a.r.t. info is confusing period. The whole current/worst etc thing is really unintuitive. Even when I loooked up explanations of it I was like :what:.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

teagone posted:

Once a drive experiences any problem, there's a hugely increased chance that it will experience more problems in future.

I'd try to get it replaced under warranty.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm trying to update some hardware for some computer-controlled props of mine, and i'm looking at an FT232H-based USB dongle.

Being pretty new at I2C (and internet of things in general), would something like that work on a windows-based system?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i'm trying to update some hardware for some computer-controlled props of mine, and i'm looking at an FT232H-based USB dongle.

Being pretty new at I2C (and internet of things in general), would something like that work on a windows-based system?

Yeah that will work with windows, it's going to present to the PC as a serial port. You can attach microcontrollers or other devices to it (check the voltage before you hook them up, some like the raspberry pi or ESP 8266 are 3.3V, and arduinos come in both 5V and 3.3V models). There's an electronics thread, arduino thread, and Raspberry Pi thread that may have more specific info if you have more questions. Also Home Automation if you're interfacing with any pre-existing IoT things.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

FCKGW posted:

I agree, which is why:

1) It color-codes its info and summarizes with yellow "Caution" or red "Bad."

Now, these could be considered subjective by the pedant, so...

2) Google can help

Or, see also:

3) "We kinda all agreed on this"

Not trying to be a jerk but trying to say that while asking for verification is what these kinds of forums are for, I don't find the results of CrystalDiskInfo hard to follow.

Your statement is better paraphrased as, "SMART info is confusing, and therefore so is this info as presented in CDI, but, hey, luckily CDI gives you an edge that reading bare text SMART reports don't."

My point is, poo poo that says Caution is rationally to be taken as cause for worry, and therefore teagone's take is correct.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Tapedump posted:

I agree, which is why:

1) It color-codes its info and summarizes with yellow "Caution" or red "Bad."

Now, these could be considered subjective by the pedant, so...

2) Google can help

Or, see also:

3) "We kinda all agreed on this"

Not trying to be a jerk but trying to say that while asking for verification is what these kinds of forums are for, I don't find the results of CrystalDiskInfo hard to follow.

Your statement is better paraphrased as, "SMART info is confusing, and therefore so is this info as presented in CDI, but, hey, luckily CDI gives you an edge that reading bare text SMART reports don't."

My point is, poo poo that says Caution is rationally to be taken as cause for worry, and therefore teagone's take is correct.

I'm pretty sure we also all agree that yellow means keep going while the gettin is good

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Interpretation, not agreement.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Does anyone have a recommendation for a desktop microphone for gaming? These Blue microphones looks to be popular with decent reviews but my desk is pretty small and it may be far too large to fit. Would prefer something on the cheaper side, < $40. The microphone I'm using now I think is from a family member's Dell desktop from the 90's :negative:

There's a Staples nearby so I might go take a look later and then this question will be moot, but in case they have nothing that works I'd like to hear if anyone got something they're happy with.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pretty much most cheap microphones will sound perfectly fine for general use like on Discord, Skype, etc. I bought a cheapass £20 USB microphone (it was a standalone mic) for catching up with family and no one ever said the quality was garbage, or that I sounded like I was talking to them through a tin can connected by string.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Q8ee posted:

Pretty much most cheap microphones will sound perfectly fine for general use like on Discord, Skype, etc. I bought a cheapass £20 USB microphone (it was a standalone mic) for catching up with family and no one ever said the quality was garbage, or that I sounded like I was talking to them through a tin can connected by string.

That sounds good to me, thanks! I will pick up what I can find when I run errands later. Google searching was giving me decision paralysis :)

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I have a blue snowball attached to one of these attached to my desk, so it doesn't take up any space on my desk and I can easily move it out of the way.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

is there a headset thread somewhere? im looking to replace my Logitech G430s with something like the Sennheiser GSP 500's or the Logitech G633's. Is there anything better for around $200? the build quality on Sennheisers looks incredible but I think they're pretty new to the market

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
This is kind of a weird one. I have my desktop (660ti, 3rd gen i5 overclocked, 16gb ram) hooked up to two kind of crappy monitors that are what I use 95% of the time. The primary monitor is a Samsung S27B350 and my secondary is a Samsung 206BW. Additionally, I have a 50' HDMI cable that runs from my PC to a TV in my office and I use that for controller gaming sometimes.

Thing is, when I'm playing Dark Souls 3 for example, on my 27" Samsung, I average 45-50fps. If I hook swap my hdmi cables and plug in the TV instead, I get a buttery, consistent 60fps. Why would this happen? Both displays are 1080, monitor is set to 60hz (should this be set to 59??). The secondary monitor is active in both cases, sound is being delivered over HDMI for the TV. Thoughts on a fix? Or is my monitor just more trash than I realized.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

is there a headset thread somewhere? im looking to replace my Logitech G430s with something like the Sennheiser GSP 500's or the Logitech G633's. Is there anything better for around $200? the build quality on Sennheisers looks incredible but I think they're pretty new to the market

I've had a pair of sennheiser gaming headphones for almost 5 years now? Theyre exceptionally well built.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If my CPU is regularly hitting 100% usage (using task manager to monitor it's performance), whereas my GPU rarely even hits max usage, is it a sign my CPU is bottlenecking? Games like Rocket League will get lag spikes every now and then, and I know for sure it's not my 1080 that is at fault.

My CPU is an i5-4670k, and I didn't really have issues with it until after I dabbled in overclocking. I was initially planning on buying a new CPU, so I hosed about trying to overclock it and gain experience before moving onto my new CPU, but I have a feeling I may have done more harm than good. I reverted everything back to the original profile, but it hasn't been performing as well as it used to. Did I goof hard, or is it salvageable?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I don’t think it is possible to make a CPU worse by overclocking. Either you break it completely or it’s still the same as before. Are you sure you didn’t accidentally turn off the CPU turbo or something similar?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll be honest and say I had no idea what I was doing. I was following some janky comment a user posted on the TomsHardware forums. I was upping voltages and stuff, PC booted up, would get through some of the Windows Logo thing and then BSOD on me. I also may or may not have smelled smoke at one point, though that could be paranoia.

I wasn't too fussed about things as I was certain I'd be buying a new CPU within a few days, but that plan fell through. I'll go back into BIOS and check to make sure I didn't turn turbo off.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe overclocking isn't for you. Having said that, it you actually smelled anything it's highly unlikely your PC would still be working. Go get yourself a copy of cpu-z and check your speeds.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

In my defense, I wasn't taking it seriously. Always been too scared to try overclocking out of fear of cocking things up. This opportunity presented itself, figured I could go crazy, learn a lot, and carry it forward for my next CPU.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I see. Well hell then go hog wild, but find a nice guide (ideally for your specific motherboard) that doesn't strike you as janky. If you can follow instructions overclocking is really pretty safe with modern hardware. There are all kinds of safety measures built in these days. Bear in mind though, if you are using the cooler that came with the cpu you're not likely to be able to clock it particularly high, but it's still good for the experience.

E: Oh, your results look fine, except is turbo mode really only 200MHz higher than stock. Maybe you've got it (turbo mode) set below normal, but there's no way you're going to notice any difference from that.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 6, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

3.8ghz is the default turbo clock on that system. There should be almost zero risk of a BSOD if you up the turbo boost (try 40x) while leaving everything else alone. Also, you should probably check that your RAM is using the "XMP Profile". Do these things one at a time. Depending on your cooler and CPU temperatures the processor may or may not actually hit those speeds.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
A 4670k is still a strong CPU. I'd worry about something else in the operating system if the CPU gets pegged that hard for that long.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

https://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

3.8ghz is the default turbo clock on that system. There should be almost zero risk of a BSOD if you up the turbo boost (try 40x) while leaving everything else alone. Also, you should probably check that your RAM is using the "XMP Profile". Do these things one at a time. Depending on your cooler and CPU temperatures the processor may or may not actually hit those speeds.

IIRC, setting RAM to use XMP Profile causes my PC to BSOD. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO so CPU cooling shouldn't be an issue.

ProjektorBoy posted:

A 4670k is still a strong CPU. I'd worry about something else in the operating system if the CPU gets pegged that hard for that long.

Thought I had a virus for the longest time because of it, but I've thoroughly scanned (both with an AV program and MalwareBytes) and everything came back clean. What could be pegging the CPU this brutally?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

XMP with my 2500k and corsair ram always causes blue screens too. Weird.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
What exactly is causing this CPU usage? Task Manager gives you per-process details - maybe that gives a hint.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My 2550k doesn't like xmp either, but I always blamed my motherboard.
I was looking for example images of turbo boost increases for the above poster, but it seems like all the examples showed them straight up pushing the core frequency to a single high number. I don't understand why that method is so prevalent. People must not trust turbo boost.

txwdYu
Apr 5, 2018
Hello! I have built a pc and encountered a problem, my motherboard is gigabyte h81m-ds2-c, pairing with an i5-4460. I have 2 kingston 8 gb ram stick, when I stick both in, pc won't boot, only when there is one ram sticked in ram slot one, it works, I don't know what causes it but I believe the second ram slot is faulty, is it just the problem of the motherboard? Or there are something else could be affecting the ram slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

txwdYu posted:

Hello! I have built a pc and encountered a problem, my motherboard is gigabyte h81m-ds2-c, pairing with an i5-4460. I have 2 kingston 8 gb ram stick, when I stick both in, pc won't boot, only when there is one ram sticked in ram slot one, it works, I don't know what causes it but I believe the second ram slot is faulty, is it just the problem of the motherboard? Or there are something else could be affecting the ram slot?

Have you alternated which stick youre trying when you just use one? Do they both work individually ?