Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Just thought I'd post this for hype's sake.

Brian H. Kim's Tumblr posted:

Q: funkybunchfeatmark asked:

Hey Brian. It’s totally fine if you don’t have an answer, but what is your favorite song you’ve composed/written for SVTFOE? Any particular piece stand out to you or has a special place in your heart?

A: I spent more time conceiving, writing, and mixing the score to the season 3 finale of SVTFOE than any other episode of the show to date. I think it’s the most musically interesting and best sounding episode so far.

For the season 3 finale, I also wanted to make a score that was really rewarding for the followers of this Tumblr, and fans who have been sending me nice messages on other social media. It’s been so interesting to see what melodies and cues have affected fans the most, and I tried to keep that in mind during the scoring process. I hope you like the results!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
You know one thing I love about this show are the strange, out there moments that make you remember "oh yeah, one of the guys central to the show's change in direction between seasons 1 and 2 who's among one of the head people on seasons 2+ was also the same former Secret Mountain Fort Awesome/Uncle Grandpa guy who blessed us with this on his first Star episode"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTsABXWdrc

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For people who like spending money the Magic Book of Spells is available for pre-order, featuring 288 pages of ~deepest lore~

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Star lives in anticipation of abs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Skippy McPants posted:

Star lives in anticipation of abs.

Logic suggests that in time they will reappear.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's good to see Marco get some respect as an asskicker. It always bothered me that he could beat the poo poo out of monsters 3 times his size and yet was often treated like somewhat of a joke.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/arythusa/status/982004435147636736

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Just watched the season finale literally as soon as I could. Some stuff got resolved, some new questions got asked, relationships advanced but not quite as far as you'd like, but my main takeaway was AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Just watched the season finale literally as soon as I could. Some stuff got resolved, some new questions got asked, relationships advanced but not quite as far as you'd like, but my main takeaway was AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah, it didn't leave off on as big of a cliffhanger as Starcrushed, but it's definitely a major game changer. Some thoughts:

-Marco's been knocked around both physically and emotionally this season, so though he ultimately failed, it was good to see him taking charge, kicking as much rear end as he could, and fighting to the end. It was also neat to see him and Tom affirm their friendship, even after Marco admitted to kissing Star.
-I was kinda surprised that they didn't do more to address Star and Marco's kiss from Booth Buddies-given the circumstances they set up it's understandable, but it felt like they could have at least done a little more to address the immediate fallout.
-That being said, the little bit where they did address it, with Tom immediately abandoning Marco, was great.
-Talon Raventalon continues to be wonderfully over the top and I love him.
-They've been building up Eclipsa's horrifying magical power for a season and a half and they did not disappoint. Having Meteora simply be reduced to an infant form instead of being straight-up killed like Toffee was felt like more than a little bit of a cheat, though.
-Guess we're not gonna see Marco handle the wand again for a while, huh?

On the whole, a good pair of episodes, though arguably not quite as tight as Face the Music/Starcrushed were. It'll definitely be interesting to see where they take things in the next season, though-between 'Where's Moon', 'Star's Queen Now', and 'Goddammit what the gently caress is up with Eclipsa', they've certainly got a number of ways they can take the ongoing plot (Let alone the Star/Tom/Marco triangle).

edit: also the entire concept of Star not having her wand now just feels weird. Like, she can already do magic without it so it doesn't really change a whole lot, but it's still a major change to the very fabric of the show.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 7, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-They've been building up Eclipsa's horrifying magical power for a season and a half and they did not disappoint. Having Meteora simply be reduced to an infant form instead of being straight-up killed like Toffee was felt like more than a little bit of a cheat, though.

On the whole, a good pair of episodes, though arguably not quite as tight as Face the Music/Starcrushed were. It'll definitely be interesting to see where they take things in the next season, though-between 'Where's Moon', 'Star's Queen Now', and 'Goddammit what the gently caress is up with Eclipsa', they've certainly got a number of ways they can take the ongoing plot (Let alone the Star/Tom/Marco triangle).

At least the baby ending has a decent excuse. Eclipsa's known to be one of the most powerful spell users out there, she's in top form, and she uses a spell we've never heard of on her own daughter. If she looks pensive, it's probably because she doesn't know if her spell worked right.

Meanwhile, I can't help but think that the "threesome ending" outliers are the ones who got exactly what they were hoping for out of this finale.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Globgor

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

I guess we now know what Eclipsa spent her missing time looking up.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 7, 2018

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Oh my god, that voice actor switch was so perfectly executed. That whole scene was hilarious but the change managed to make it even funnier, even if it was done solely out of necessity. That whole "no you idiots, I've been trying to tell you exactly what's up all season" bit was just A grade funny.

Finale was great overall but oh lord the hiatus is going to be hell. This whole set up is hella interesting though, I'm real curious where they're gonna take it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ruflux posted:

Oh my god, that voice actor switch was so perfectly executed. That whole scene was hilarious but the change managed to make it even funnier, even if it was done solely out of necessity. That whole "no you idiots, I've been trying to tell you exactly what's up all season" bit was just A grade funny.

Finale was great overall but oh lord the hiatus is going to be hell. This whole set up is hella interesting though, I'm real curious where they're gonna take it.

You can do a lot worse than Keith David for a recast.

The first thing I thought of with the baby thing was Hotaru/Saturn from Sailor Moon.

This finale didn't have the same kind of punch to me as last year's, since 3/4s of it was just fighting Meteora. However, in context of the past six or so episodes, it's a pretty good capstone and overall I'm happy with how the season went.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked seeing Eclipsa fighting, seeing more of her spells was a treat. Especially Velvet Inferno, that one was pretty cool. It feels like it's supposed to burn the magic/soul out of the opponent, in Meteora's case releasing all the souls she'd eaten since taking over St Olgas. It looked cool though. I also love that as far as we know she was on side from the start. Also I liked that moment when the stress of being Acting-Queen kind of turned Star into her mother a bit, especially ignoring Eclipsa's cries of "What are you going to do to my daughter!" That was pretty cold just leaving her like that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Marco's gang fighting with Meteora in the forest seriously seemed like an homage to the fight with Wyald from the Berserk manga. Especially to the point where Tom attempted to seal her in the underworld reminded me of all the demons from hell killing Wyald.

And her outright extinguishing the entire kingdom with even Star's Super Saiyan form unable to stop her makes you realize that if the whispering spell hadn't been used on Toffee-Ludo, the reborn Toffee with his half of the wand would have swatted her out of the sky like a gnat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So here's a thing that just happened:

https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/982701488328749056

https://twitter.com/shortnnerdy/status/982712599690207232

https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/982714670707490816

And the spoils:

https://twitter.com/shortnnerdy/status/982722048043597824

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
"Jushtin the Boy Queen"?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, that felt a bit like a series finale nevermind the season. Where do they even go after this?

I'm thinking Star probably could have taken Meteora if she'd have just fought her at the start with Marco's crew. Obviously she needed to accept that it was her responsibility to lead first but its crazy how good of a fight she put up against Meteora after she'd eaten pretty much everyone.

And I guess we know who Eclipsa really is now: The biggest badass in the show by a mile.

Its interesting that she didn't react to Glosseryk saying her husbands name all season. I'm still thinking she was scheming for it all to turn out like this somehow and he was helping her. It seems he could in fact talk the whole time and we know the two of them talked in private at least once. It could be those two were in cahoots the whole time. Not sure what to think of the slightly sinister tone the music took at the end either. I really don't see her being an antagonist after this.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 7, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It took a long time for this show to really hit me as being good instead of just fun, and I think building up everyone as interesting and giving the monster/human clash a lot of depth was a great way to go.

It's interesting how both Toffee and Globgor relate to this conflict, but obviously in different ways (?)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Gibbering posted:

"Jushtin the Boy Queen"?

Jushtin Lee is one of the storyboard artists on the show

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Star was able to find Moon by following a trail of black goo that seemed like it was the same stuff Toffee was covered in when Star got sucked inside Ludo. Come to think of it, Meteora's green soul sucking eye beams seemed like the exact same kind of magic Toffee-Ludo used in the battle against Moon and the High Commission in the S2 finale, and the kinda stuff that Star inadvertently used whenever her emotions got out of control. So they're probably the same stuff, but it still seems pretty bad news that Moon was emitting a trail of the stuff even when covered in the healing magic from the happy magic dimension.

And then there was that one ominous dimension the stoned Moon and Star went to. It was them being trapped under some kind of dark structure and being a bunch of high idiots, they decided to leave, but the music ended on a scare chord for a brief instant, which you wouldn't think would be used if it was a throwaway location. Come to think of it, the shot in the red dimension before that lingered a little long too. When Tom tried to save everyone by taking them to the underworld gate for shelter, that place seemed like exactly what you'd imagine the underworld's interior to look like.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Jushtin Lee is one of the storyboard artists on the show

Hmm. Probably a "Mewni has no legal provisions for a King Regnant, so as the only living Heir, I declare myself Queen" situation, then.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think the black goo was Eclipsa's dark magic getting washed off of Moon. Her hands don't have the dark stains on them anymore from using the annihilation spell and she was washing them when Star finds her.

Which is interesting because of that strange dark unicorn that was drinking from the goo and got super freaked out at seeing Star and ran away. Star can use Eclipsa's dark spells so something weird is going on there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

Star was able to find Moon by following a trail of black goo that seemed like it was the same stuff Toffee was covered in when Star got sucked inside Ludo. Come to think of it, Meteora's green soul sucking eye beams seemed like the exact same kind of magic Toffee-Ludo used in the battle against Moon and the High Commission in the S2 finale, and the kinda stuff that Star inadvertently used whenever her emotions got out of control. So they're probably the same stuff, but it still seems pretty bad news that Moon was emitting a trail of the stuff even when covered in the healing magic from the happy magic dimension.

And then there was that one ominous dimension the stoned Moon and Star went to. It was them being trapped under some kind of dark structure and being a bunch of high idiots, they decided to leave, but the music ended on a scare chord for a brief instant, which you wouldn't think would be used if it was a throwaway location. Come to think of it, the shot in the red dimension before that lingered a little long too. When Tom tried to save everyone by taking them to the underworld gate for shelter, that place seemed like exactly what you'd imagine the underworld's interior to look like.

Toffee's goo is green, and Meteora's eyes are green, but Eclipsa's goo is purple. The show hasn't really explained what magic colors mean, but it's been too consistent and too important to be random. As for the dimension visits, I know as much as you do, but I get the feeling that we'll see a well with two purple handprints on the bottom of the lid eventually. As for the Underworld, we've been there twice already and it didn't quite look like a red wasteland either time.

VVV After this season I wouldn't be surprised if Globgor turned out to be a great big teddy bear.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 8, 2018

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Its interesting that she didn't react to Glosseryk saying her husbands name all season. I'm still thinking she was scheming for it all to turn out like this somehow and he was helping her. It seems he could in fact talk the whole time and we know the two of them talked in private at least once. It could be those two were in cahoots the whole time. Not sure what to think of the slightly sinister tone the music took at the end either. I really don't see her being an antagonist after this.

About this, yeah Glossaryck was absolutely working towards getting Eclipsa to go free, quite possibly from the beginning. Like, before any of the recent stuff happened. I assume this would include coordinating with Eclipsa after she was freed from the crystal to lead Star on the right path - he's essentially been playing the whole crew like idiots while being as minimally helpful as he can while Eclipsa builds towards an opportunity to break free. I imagine it's a case of him not really caring at all about the other queens that came after since they're technically illegitimate and possibly Eclipsa's raw ability too.

Eclipsa will no doubt be an antagonist of some sort, but I'm not sure if she'll turn into an outright villain. I could totally see her starting a new monster empire and making demands of Mewni based on that and the fact that Star did more or less hand over the throne.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I liked the little shot of the taco stand on Earth, as if to remind us "yeah, this is what the show used to be."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I really like Tom rolling with the punches and being a total bro to everyone.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The "I'm gonna make this weird" group hug was great

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well it is interesting that Eclipsa's romance might have been what was needed to bridge monsters and Mewmans and the Mewmans hosed it up, so Star is part of that legacy, if not responsible for it.

That said, what's on Festiva's head? Are those horns? It went by fast.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The guy took bigger screenshots of all the cards individually too

https://twitter.com/shortnnerdy/status/982758265384681474

https://twitter.com/shortnnerdy/status/982758354618429441

https://twitter.com/shortnnerdy/status/982758439595130885

https://twitter.com/shortnnerdy/status/982758495966515200

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Is Rhina the Riddled a reference to Infinity Train?

Also worth noting: the gargoyles (?) from the St. Olga mural are spewing from the mouth of Eclipsa's monster husband.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Solaria was 6'3"?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, the girlfriend and I just binged from Butterfly Trap all the way to the season finale. Insane trip, I love this show. Can't wait to see what kind of political drama comes next season with the wild status quo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Star vs the forces of evil? More like a show this bad is unbelievable.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Motherfucker posted:

Star vs the forces of evil? More like a show this bad is unbelievable.

no no no if you wanted to do it like the cool kids on /co/ you should've also posted an image of Mung Daal from Chowder

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Shitenshi posted:

And then there was that one ominous dimension the stoned Moon and Star went to. It was them being trapped under some kind of dark structure and being a bunch of high idiots, they decided to leave, but the music ended on a scare chord for a brief instant, which you wouldn't think would be used if it was a throwaway location.

I think that was a manhole. An earth manhole, blocking magic from flowing to Earth.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

I think that was a manhole. An earth manhole, blocking magic from flowing to Earth.

I'm suspicious of an Earth twist, too, but even if it is that's not a manhole. Those were clearly wooden planks keeping a well closed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm suspicious of an Earth twist, too, but even if it is that's not a manhole. Those were clearly wooden planks keeping a well closed.

Agreed, although the Earth having to deal with a sudden influx of magic would be a really cool plotline, just not right now, or for this show specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TBH Earth is the worst thing about Star Vs the Forces of Evil.