Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Missed the BOTM Thread for it so I'll have to post here, but goddamn was Lincoln In The Bardo amazing. I'm just beating myself that it took me so long to get through. I was sorta hesitant when in one breath everyone was praising it, and on the other you were talking about all the dick and orgy jokes but I just can't imagine it without them.

As a filthy genre reader, this book made me get it. I have never had the thoughts or feelings that I had from reading Lincoln in the Bardo with any other book, except for maybe the Discworld books. Where do I go from here?

Edit: Yikes. I didn't mean for all that gushing to be at the top of the page. Apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

OscarDiggs posted:

As a filthy genre reader, this book made me get it. I have never had the thoughts or feelings that I had from reading Lincoln in the Bardo with any other book, except for maybe the Discworld books. Where do I go from here?

Edit: Yikes. I didn't mean for all that gushing to be at the top of the page. Apologies.

No, it's cool, although you might get flamed.

I guess, it really depends, which route you want to take. Vonnegut would be the most logical choice (Slaughterhouse 5, The Breakfast of Champions, Mother Night) if you want to keep it American and reasonably contemporary. Gabriel Garcia Marquez for more new thoughts and feelings (and beautiful prose), Kafka if you want to feel uncomfortable and not really know why.

And just because everybody's tired of talking about these guys, read Chingiz Aitmatov's The Day Lasts More than a Hundred Years - it's the best Soviet era book for me, and nobody talks about it, even though it's great and has wide appeal. It's weird, scary, sad and bittersweet at the same time.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

it's cool to like books

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Burning Rain posted:

And just because everybody's tired of talking about these guys, read Chingiz Aitmatov's The Day Lasts More than a Hundred Years - it's the best Soviet era book for me, and nobody talks about it, even though it's great and has wide appeal. It's weird, scary, sad and bittersweet at the same time.

oh yeah i read that a couple of years ago. it kicks rear end but it deffo falls through the cracks when people talk about russian lit probably due to the discussion dominated by the likes of dystoveaky and the like.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
i've been meaning to read Dr Zhivago again because it was very good and I'm reading a collection of Ursula K. Le Guin's writings and she was like "this poo poo is good" and i was like "oh yeah that poo poo was good indeed"

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
as far as 20th century russian lit, i know that and grossman's Life and Fate and also Master & Margarita, if anyone has suggestions otherwise let me know

i've had my eye on Bely's Petersburg for a while too

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

jagstag posted:

it's cool to like books

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

he's cool and i'm going to read a progress publishers edition of 'tales from the mountains and steppes' soon

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I am reading To The Lighthouse, my first encounter with Woolf, and I am finding it very beautiful but very demanding. This isn't my first rodeo with modernists, but this is making me feel like I have lived off of a diet of visual media for years and am picking up a book for the first time and every line takes my full consideration to understand. Understanding does come, so I am not upset and am actually finding it a great, rewarding experience. It's just for some reason such a challenge. I think part of it has to do with how you come to know these characters internally, slowly and sometimes only by inference, rather than by their occupations or the things they say or their appearance. This way I am seeing rich characterization, but it's like really getting to know someone in paces rather than being introduced to them as you might with characters in a more immediately told story.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

OscarDiggs posted:

Missed the BOTM Thread for it so I'll have to post here, but goddamn was Lincoln In The Bardo amazing. I'm just beating myself that it took me so long to get through. I was sorta hesitant when in one breath everyone was praising it, and on the other you were talking about all the dick and orgy jokes but I just can't imagine it without them.

If you want things with more of a genre bent, try Roadside Picnic, The Gone Away World, A Canticle for Lebowitz, The Handmaiden's Tale.

Looks like April's BOTM will be also be genre adjacent as well.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

OscarDiggs posted:

read the twenty days of turin

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Chamberk posted:

as far as 20th century russian lit, i know that and grossman's Life and Fate and also Master & Margarita, if anyone has suggestions otherwise let me know

i've had my eye on Bely's Petersburg for a while too

Petersburg loving rules. Platonov's Foundation Pit is really good too, probably the best new thing I've read so far this year

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Platonov rules yeah

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I don't think I've posted enough about how insanely good Christine Brooke-Rose is

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Speaking of poo poo allegories, this makes me sad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=micAGOYfmJs

They took Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and turned it into an obvious trump allegory, threw in a bunch of useless props, added a Gamer Thrones actress to the cast and made it "immersive" and ugh. This is apparently what you have to do to still get people to come to the theatre, take something good and universal and turn it into a pampers tier allegory, basically Shakespeare's Hamilton.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
quit getting up on your hind legs like productions of shakespeare forcing allusions are something new.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

quit getting up on your hind legs like productions of shakespeare forcing allusions are something new.

Making julius caesar wear a maga hat is a little on the loving nose though isn't it, obviously more so than other performances.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Basically all big budget theatre is loving idiotic. Give them money and they'll spend it on strobe lights, contemporary r&b and smoke machines, no matter what the production is

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ras Het posted:

Basically all big budget theatre is loving idiotic. Give them money and they'll spend it on strobe lights, contemporary r&b and smoke machines, no matter what the production is

hmmm this is exactly the production of romeo and juliet i saw at the globe last summer

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Making Julius Caesar a really naff allegory for current events is as close to a universal constant as you can get in Shakespeare productions though. I legitimately can't remember seeing a Caesar that didn't wink obnoxiously at modern politics in some regard. Not that that's a good thing, mind you.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Inserting modern politics into Shakespeare is wasted effort better spent on making sure the audience experiences all the dick jokes.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

i'm remembering the production of don giovanni i went to that had an extended gangnam style performance at one point

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

After The War posted:

Inserting modern politics into Shakespeare is wasted effort better spent on making sure the audience experiences all the dick jokes.

Shakespeare is for everyone, from those who love experiencing some of the greatest plays written in the flesh to those who can't be entertained without someone mugging at the audience and pointing at their genitals

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ibsen, but with pointing at genitals

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in a fresh, new reimagining for the 21st century, Nora leaves Thorvald because he's not DTF

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The last production of Hedda Gabler I saw had the flat be like a prison for some reason and casted extremely against type (the judge was about the same age as Hedda, her husband was pretty handsome, etc) and every line-reading was so awful I have to believe the director hates Ibsen.
e: but do you see me clucking "theatre today?" in here no you do not.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Speaking of poo poo allegories, this makes me sad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=micAGOYfmJs

added a Gamer Thrones actress to the cast

There aren't any British Shakespearean actors left who haven't been in Game of Thrones or Doctor Who (or both)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My reminder every time Ibsen comes up that Ibsen had the best last words in recorded history

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
he also looked like this

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

The last production of Hedda Gabler I saw had the flat be like a prison for some reason and casted extremely against type (the judge was about the same age as Hedda, her husband was pretty handsome, etc) and every line-reading was so awful I have to believe the director hates Ibsen.
e: but do you see me clucking "theatre today?" in here no you do not.

Well excuse me princess

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My reminder every time Ibsen comes up that Ibsen had the best last words in recorded history

it was very true to his personality.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Why does Norway have Ibsen, Hamsun and Knausgård but Denmark only has the fairytale man

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

They're no Hamsun but I like Pontoppidan and Karen Blixen :shobon:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ras Het posted:

Why does Norway have Ibsen, Hamsun and Knausgård but Denmark only has the fairytale man

Danes are inferior.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

jagstag posted:

oh yeah i read that a couple of years ago. it kicks rear end but it deffo falls through the cracks when people talk about russian lit probably due to the discussion dominated by the likes of dystoveaky and the like.

New favorite misspelling. I've been shouting "DYSTOVEAKY" at passersby for several minutes and the fun has not abated.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ras Het posted:

they were too busy drinking kørepils and gammel dansk

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

WASDF posted:

I am reading To The Lighthouse, my first encounter with Woolf, and I am finding it very beautiful but very demanding. This isn't my first rodeo with modernists, but this is making me feel like I have lived off of a diet of visual media for years and am picking up a book for the first time and every line takes my full consideration to understand. Understanding does come, so I am not upset and am actually finding it a great, rewarding experience. It's just for some reason such a challenge. I think part of it has to do with how you come to know these characters internally, slowly and sometimes only by inference, rather than by their occupations or the things they say or their appearance. This way I am seeing rich characterization, but it's like really getting to know someone in paces rather than being introduced to them as you might with characters in a more immediately told story.

I really love this book. I'm a sucker for families disintegrating by the sea. Favorite Woolf so far, although I still need to read Orlando.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

maybe it's the same reason that denmark had very few 90s black metal bands compared to the other scandie countries

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvgfGcIDMI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pontoppidan is great

Not a huge fan of Johannes V. Jensen but he won the nobel i guess :shrug:

Herman Bang is amazing & fantastic & I love him