Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The story was way way better in NNK1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Has anyone else run into a bug where it tries to transition to a cutscene and gets stuck on a black screen? In chapter 5, when you finish the side quest for the red coral ring, I see a small scene where Lofty tells Tani and Evan they'll have to call him Mr. Director and then it fades to black, only to never recover. If I disconnect my controller, the game pops up with a dialogue box saying the controller has been disconnected, so it is still running, but the next scene won't ever actually load for me. I've tried reloading both an autosave and my most recent manual save, but it just refuses to load the next scene. Haven't run into a single bug before now and the searches I've done lead to a couple of people having similar issues in earlier scenes, but reloading saves fixed it for them. This is on PC, if that wasn't already clear.

I have no idea how to get past this bug.

I also tried changing the FPS limiter from 60 to unlimited, but no dice.

edit: I verified the game files in Steam and apparently something didn't download/install properly. After a 7.3MB download it is all fixed.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 6, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm at Chapter 8 - the "Nemesis" bit.
And I was going to say this about chapter 5: I was sort of down with the baffling 300 year time loop thing until you started doing sidequests that assumed Hyropolis was in statis and everywhere outside wasn't. It just doesn't work and doesn't fit together at all. I'd love to know what it was actually intended to be like and how they envisioned it made sense.

I've gone around and done loads of sidequests - and been annoyed at that Rose one that you can't do and it doesn't tell you - including all 9 dream doors. I feel like I've not got a lot left and I'm sort of sad about it. I'm level 60 at this point so I'm far higher level than anyone around me which is nice.

So far the game feels a bit like Xenoblade 2 in that while I like it I'm liking it despite the many obvious flaws it has. I seriously enjoy how easy the combat is and I'm quite glad I can ignore a lot of mechanics - for example I didn't know you could suck up higgeldies other than when you're awakened! And I've only changed my higgeldies around a tiny bit as well.
Again it reminds me a bit of Xenoblade 2 where they're here as a mechanic and are quite in the foreground but also seem a bit half assed. I'm thinking of the cost for different ones to be in your party and how long it takes before you see ones that are 2 and how little that limit of 10 points matters.

My positives would definitely be how it all looks, especially the characters. I like Lofty as well and the general feel of the world is really nice.
It scratches a Suikoden itch that nothing else has in years. I have no idea why that hasn't popped up on Kickstarter to be honest!
The Skirmishes are interesting, tainted monsters give some proper rewards and I never feel like I'm wasting time doing them.
I enjoy recruiting people and seeing what they do and why they do it.
Building the kingdom is cool too. It's a shame that nearly everything you can research at the buildings is useless (weapons and armour especially!) but I love seeing what they look like and where new things will go.

Negatives I'm really sad about the lack of monsters. I'd say it's really stupid how it's level limited as well. Sometimes when you're level 50 or so you see robots in places they shouldn't be, I assume because it's gone "what monsters can we put here" and they're in the level 50 list. For example - in rejuvinated shrines!
I absolutely hate the dream doors and I am glad you get that compass thing to show you the door. Anywhere with no maps is the worst for me because I just walk into the same bit over and over.
Normal dungeons suffer a bit too because of the lack of tile sets. There's no joy to finding them.

Lastly Drylands and Jack Frost's Playground seem like total wastes. I guess that's where the DLC content will go? I was so disappointed that they didn't do anything.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 6, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Those areas are for a bunch of sidequests you don't have yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Really Pants posted:

Those areas are for a bunch of sidequests you don't have yet.

I've done some stuff there, I just think there should be something a bit bigger there unless there are some main story level postgame quests there?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No, they're all about the same scope as the rest, just higher level. Except for the tenth dream door. :getin:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Really Pants posted:

No, they're all about the same scope as the rest, just higher level. Except for the tenth dream door. :getin:

That's not in those areas though! I've found that one, actually a while back because it's not a paticularly hidden place.

Actually one more positive that I forgot is that the menus are amazing. I really like that you can see all your research projects and citizens from one menu, that you can always press a shortcut to go to "connected" areas and menus.
Like click on the armourer and press Alt and you're in front of it without having to walk there. Go into a map and press C then you get all the trip doors in the area.

Stuff like that. It's a big difference after Xenoblade and I was really impressed with it generally. Even having different menus for the three different type of quest. Really good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I do wish the interface was different in some ways. There's no reason for citizen level-ups to not pop automatically as soon as you go into your kingdom menu.

Also skirmishes absolutely need some kind of map tracking, or just a full list like the tainted monsters.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 6, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

how in the hell does this army skirmish poo poo actually work? Do I just mash my dudes into their dudes?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kild posted:

how in the hell does this army skirmish poo poo actually work? Do I just mash my dudes into their dudes?

Basically. Red beats green, green beats blue, and blue beats red. An arrow pops up to tell you which group is stronger (rotate the unit with the blue arrow forward). As you get more citizens, you'll unlock more unit types. I'm no expert though and have been avoiding most skirmishes unless necessary to progress the story.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kild posted:

Each battle gives you a set amount of Military Might. This total shows you how many troops the baddies currently have as well as how many reinforcements you have. You can spend KG to make this go down slower using "Bolster Forces" before the battle starts and you can spend it during a fight to recruit new guys by pressing "R" on the PC. Roland or Lofty will tell you when your units are at full strength and also tell you if someone is especially suffering.
You can also spend it by pressing the middle mouse button, that gives you special abilities based on the units you've brought with you.

To get new units there's a story beat after Goldpaw that explains most of this to you and then when you recruit new people some of them will bring units along with them.

Green Hammers beat Blue Lances
Blue Lances beat Red Swords
Red Swords beat Green Hammers.

Most armies you face will have a mix but be strongly one colour. I tend to have two of whatever colour is "best" and then one each of the other two. As long as you match them right you'll find most battles a pushover.
As an example Goldpaw has a lot of Green Hammers so I brought extra Red Swords.

There's also archers, guns, mages and shields. Shields are really good against range and I find myself taking at least one along instead of my second of the identical colour, they're nice.
I don't think Arches/Guns/Mages are paticularly different, they are all just ranged units. I don't use them much. It takes a long while before you get your first mage too!

You can press CTRL (no idea what it is on a console) to do Shock Tactics which makes your characters super strong for a short time, that can hand you a lot of victories. A lot of the research involves increasing the power and duration of your shock tactics. You can easily beat MUCH stronger armies taking advantage of this.
Space will let you run, you can use this to chase down armies or to just make the battle go faster.
Most of the controls for the battles are displayed on screen, including the weakness chart, but you can always go into the Controls Menu - when you aren't in a Skirmish - to look at this.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 7, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

use whichever troops have boosts to attack power/defense etc because summon abilities like the airship, dragon, siege tower etc are garbage

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

use whichever troops have boosts to attack power/defense etc because summon abilities like the airship, dragon, siege tower etc are garbage

The bombing run is absolutely amazing and has saved me loads.
The others are all crap.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I liked the laser

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I love the descriptions of the citizens. Dog warfare!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Does the combat ever get more involved?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skills and spells will get a bit fancier. That's about it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Finished this game on Friday. In all, I wasn’t impressed. It’s a very weird game in a lot of ways - similar to Final Fantasy XV, it has very obviously had huge chunks cut from it. The signs are all over the place: in the kingdom building you can unlock a special spell allowing you to talk to animals and plants, but as far as I can tell there wasn’t a single interactable plant or animal in the entire game. Another whole set of unlocks in the kingdom builder allows you to gain more health, money and items from pots you smash - but outside of some optional dungeons you probably won’t bother with, after the very first dungeon there’s not a smashable pot in the whole game.

A technologically advanced kingdom in the latter half of the game is very conspicuously surrounded by pollution on the main map - but once you enter the kingdom no one mentions the pollution, and the big problem you solve for them has nothing to do with that. At the very end of the game, you can get a couple of side quests that briefly mention the pollution, and a few NPCs in the town will talk about it as well. That’s it.

There are large desert and snowy sections of the map that have a single task to complete in them each (and are largely make-work) for the main quest. Neither of them have an actual kingdom attached. The snowy area has a stonking great crashed ancient spaceship/airship thing that is absolutely unmissable, but the game merely mentions in passing that it was the remnant of an ancient war (and the title screen alludes to this too). No ancient war actually part of the plot of the game, or even explicitly in the lore. The ancient lost kingdom that is involved in the plot was not destroyed by a war.

In general, the game felt like it was following a familiar JRPG structure where your party appears to complete its main task, but then there is some kind of twist and in fact there is still a lot more game to go. FFVI is probably the most famous example of this, but even the first Ni No Kuni followed this structure. So you would imagine that Evan would fix the problems of the four other nations in the world (and there were probably more nations planned), confront the wizard causing the havoc, and then the true evil would be revealed. Instead you confront the wizard and then the game ends. And the lack of plot is made up with hours of side-quests and mainly redundant battle mechanics. You can basically ignore the higgles, tactics tweaker, food system, weapon customisation and loads more and easily (too easily) finish the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Finished this game on Friday. In all, I wasn’t impressed. It’s a very weird game in a lot of ways - similar to Final Fantasy XV, it has very obviously had huge chunks cut from it. The signs are all over the place: in the kingdom building you can unlock a special spell allowing you to talk to animals and plants, but as far as I can tell there wasn’t a single interactable plant or animal in the entire game. Another whole set of unlocks in the kingdom builder allows you to gain more health, money and items from pots you smash - but outside of some optional dungeons you probably won’t bother with, after the very first dungeon there’s not a smashable pot in the whole game.

There are large desert and snowy sections of the map that have a single task to complete in them each (and are largely make-work) for the main quest. Neither of them have an actual kingdom attached. The snowy area has a stonking great crashed ancient spaceship/airship thing that is absolutely unmissable, but the game merely mentions in passing that it was the remnant of an ancient war (and the title screen alludes to this too). No ancient war actually part of the plot of the game, or even explicitly in the lore. The ancient lost kingdom that is involved in the plot was not destroyed by a war.

In general, the game felt like it was following a familiar JRPG structure where your party appears to complete its main task, but then there is some kind of twist and in fact there is still a lot more game to go. FFVI is probably the most famous example of this, but even the first Ni No Kuni followed this structure. So you would imagine that Evan would fix the problems of the four other nations in the world (and there were probably more nations planned), confront the wizard causing the havoc, and then the true evil would be revealed. Instead you confront the wizard and then the game ends. And the lack of plot is made up with hours of side-quests and mainly redundant battle mechanics. You can basically ignore the higgles, tactics tweaker, food system, weapon customisation and loads more and easily (too easily) finish the game.

You know, I had totally forgotten about the Animal thing. The other ones are all required by quests too, yet not a word about the animal one. I wonder what they intended it to be used for? There's a quest where a Windwyrm talks to you, perhaps I wouldn't have been able to speak to that if I didn't have the animal thing. I think it's more weird that the Bridge spell seems to have one use outside of the quest it's originally given in and that's absolutely it. The mushroom thing is the same. Why bother with it?
The pots thing - there's shitloads of pots in the Dreamer's Dungeons and everyone else in the thread has and does do them. I'm not going to say I ever researched any of the pot things but eh, I can see they'd be useful in those.
I'd say it's weirder that there's two whole loving buildings focused on dreamer's dungeon stuff when I did every single one by only researching "radar for the dream doors". Two whole buildings!

Lost Spirits talk about the war in the Ice quite a bit. It's still barely mentioned but there's SOME stuff there. It might make researching the lost spirit stuff worth it maybe? That's probably reaching.

I'm going to say I'm really glad I could just ignore the higgledies, tactics tweaker and especially the food. I'd be happy if they weren't in the game at all. gently caress food systems, it just makes me feel stressed when I have buffs that are running out when they're important.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The talking to animals spell lets you start the quest where you talk to the the hamster people in a cave and eventually gets you the vet guy for your kingdom but I think that's literally the only time it's used.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The talking to animals spell lets you start the quest where you talk to the the hamster people in a cave and eventually gets you the vet guy for your kingdom but I think that's literally the only time it's used.

Where's that? Or is it post game?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The best way to win skirmish battles is to open up the bolster forces tab, buy everything then just hold square the entire time

I never used a single ability and beat every single one of them outside the frankly stupid chase ones. And I only lost the chase ones because I didn't know there was a run button because it's never needed.

Seriously I have no idea what the numbers are but I was punching way over my weight class by like 30 levels by just buying everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Taear posted:

Where's that? Or is it post game?

There's a cave just past Niall's forest on a hill that I think you can only get to with the airship, if you have that spell and go in it automatically starts a quest. Once you've done that if you leave and enter again and there's a second quest that gets you a dude for your kingdom. You have to beat a pretty high level tainted enemy though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a cave just past Niall's forest on a hill that I think you can only get to with the airship, if you have that spell and go in it automatically starts a quest. Once you've done that if you leave and enter again and there's a second quest that gets you a dude for your kingdom. You have to beat a pretty high level tainted enemy though.

you can get to that cave with regrowth or rejuvenate or whatever fyi, there's some mushrooms

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can I get kingdom level 3 before finishing chapter 6? Aka can i have 50 citizens

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think you have to complete Chapter 6's main quests to unlock enough people.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah it is seeming that way.

I really don't love that chests aren't marked on the map, as now that I can open the locked ones I have to go on a grand backtrack of the world and try to remember where they were. Oh well, at least I'm raking in the kg meanwhile.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zip will give you a handy thing for backtracking soon, so wait on that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also maybe I just got unlucky but chests aren't worth the hassle at all

Like the best thing I got from them were healing/revive items

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
you get so many more items from combat that the chests don't mean anything.

I've finally gotten through it. I liked it, though it feels like it should have been $40. It's very much a snes rpg in 3d. It reminds me of how janky level-5's early games were, tbh.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm about to have plat and the skirmishes are by far my least favorite trophy so far

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I'm about to have plat and the skirmishes are by far my least favorite trophy so far

Skirmishes are great because they remind me of Suikoden! Although I don't know what plat or trophy means.

The chests did feel pointless, I got my best stuff all from killing Tainted monsters.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Look, I don't care what the chests contain, they exist in the game and I have to open them.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Some overworld chests have alternate costumes! Tani is in her Sunday best now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's also a shipwright's diaper for Batu. :stonk:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

What the gently caress was that Chapter 6? The ending was completely ridiculous even by this games standards. The boss fight was interesting but oops I fell off the light platforms lets try again OOPS FELL AGAIN

And that stinger for the start of chapter 7 had me in stitches.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

What the gently caress was that Chapter 6? The ending was completely ridiculous even by this games standards. The boss fight was interesting but oops I fell off the light platforms lets try again OOPS FELL AGAIN

And that stinger for the start of chapter 7 had me in stitches.

I genuinely spent 30 minutes doing that. If I could rotate the camera to behind me it would have been fine. So goddamn dumb!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Taear posted:

I genuinely spent 30 minutes doing that. If I could rotate the camera to behind me it would have been fine. So goddamn dumb!

An hour here, no poo poo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wendell posted:

Some overworld chests have alternate costumes! Tani is in her Sunday best now.

Where was that

I need that outfit right this second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think that one's in the Rolling Hills, west of Auntie Martha's old house and south of Hideaway Hollow. You need the airship to reach it. And the Spring Lock spell to open it, of course.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 9, 2018

• Locked thread