Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

axeil posted:

FFVI 100% should be a run to rival the FFVII run they had last year in terms of length. Hopefully the commentary is just as on point.

Puwexil is extremely chill and good on commentary. Gonna be a great run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

puwexil jrpg runs are one of life's simple pleasures.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

thorsilver posted:

Puwexil is extremely chill and good on commentary. Gonna be a great run

Taking a look around, it appears they’ve shaved like an hour off the run since the last time it was at GDQ so I’m excited to hear how they managed that.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What is 100% anyway? Just all chars / all espers?

I hope it's not like "all rages" too or something that would take forever.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SoftNum posted:

Yes, it's just all characters/Espers.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SoftNum posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/ff6speedruns/ has this for 100% glitchless:

quote:

This run is aiming for the fastest completion of the game by recruiting all 14 permanent playable characters and having all 26 Espers in your inventory at the end of the game, without using any of the tricks below.

Setzer Slots RNG manipulation/Joker Doom
Giving Vanish status to enemies (Vanish-Doom)
NPC clipping/Event tile skipping (skipping 1st half of Locke's scenario and Kefka's Tower minibosses)
Relm Sketch Glitch
Infinite Terra Morph
Cyan Retort Glitch ("Psycho Cyan")
Nightshade Rage / Inflicting Charm status
Equip Anything (Japanese version only)
Game Over Overflow

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pneub posted:

I wish they would stop doing Doom 4 any%. I'll watch 7-hour jrpg runs all day, and I can't make it 30 min. into that loving run.

I just want to see them actually shoot things :(

Also I'm super surprised that Mario Odyssey isn't on that list.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Its a donation incentive bonus game but you won't like it because instead of playing it bad and slow they do high skilled maneuvers to go fast

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Speedrunning with skips isn't in the doom spirit. Doomguy only speedruns to the next imp he wants to smash in the face.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Speedrunning with skips isn't in the doom spirit. Doomguy only speedruns to the next imp he wants to smash in the face.

So much this.

Glitch/oob speedruns can be a ton of fun in some games, but I've yet to see an fps oob other than maybe Skyrim horse tilting (if that qualifies) that is actually entertaining rather than just an hour and a half of save loading.

Doom of all games should be an hour and a half or RIP AND TEAR. Not staring at a goddamn wall making bunny hops.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Caros posted:

So much this.

Glitch/oob speedruns can be a ton of fun in some games, but I've yet to see an fps oob other than maybe Skyrim horse tilting (if that qualifies) that is actually entertaining rather than just an hour and a half of save loading.

Doom of all games should be an hour and a half or RIP AND TEAR. Not staring at a goddamn wall making bunny hops.

An all berserk pack all the time race. I would watch that regardless if it's DOOM, DOOM 2 or DOOM

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Classic Doom has occasional skips, but they're the seasoning rather than the meat which is what makes them so good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is any percent doom4 just oob bullshit?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you kill less than a dozen demons total and most of those are because certain executions can push you OOB.

The game is hilariously broken with the number of places you can go OOB.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah all OOB games may be technically impressive but they’re not super interesting to watch.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Doom 2016 speedrun is Glory Kill OOB --> Walk around areas of missing textures --> Hit exit button and sit at another load screen for 30 seconds. Sucks.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And at the end there's a Megaman-like quick kill on the Hell Guards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Its a donation incentive bonus game but you won't like it because instead of playing it bad and slow they do high skilled maneuvers to go fast

languages evolve, now speedruns mean killing everything and not skipping any content

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
all speed runs with cheat glitches should be banned. why dont these guys play right

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The point is that a run that's 99% out of bounds and features none of the gameplay that the game is built around can be boring for a lot of people.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
once you've seen an oob run you've seen them all

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah all OOB games may be technically impressive but they’re not super interesting to watch.

the last time i said this in a gdq thread i was crucified

e: i kinda feel like there should be a standard for gdq runs where you can only have so many glitches per run, like 5 or some poo poo. if you have a huge glitch like the one Zelda LttP one that allows you to beat the game in literally 2 minutes because you can wrong warp to the triforce room, that's cool and definitely worth showing off. if there are a couple of glitches that skip like 80% of the game, that can be fun too. but if you're constantly whoring glitches to make 30 minutes of broken bullshit viewing that's totally incomprehensible to literally anyone but other runners you really need to get off the couch. if anything i feel like THOSE runs should have their own block and the awful games block needs to be an awful games norm where every like 5th game is a really bad one.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 9, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like cool out of bounds speedruns and I don't like uncool out of bounds speedruns

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Coolguye posted:

e: i kinda feel like there should be a standard for gdq runs where you can only have so many glitches per run, like 5 or some poo poo. if you have a huge glitch like the one Zelda LttP one that allows you to beat the game in literally 2 minutes because you can wrong warp to the triforce room, that's cool and definitely worth showing off. if there are a couple of glitches that skip like 80% of the game, that can be fun too. but if you're constantly whoring glitches to make 30 minutes of broken bullshit viewing that's totally incomprehensible to literally anyone but other runners you really need to get off the couch. if anything i feel like THOSE runs should have their own block and the awful games block needs to be an awful games norm where every like 5th game is a really bad one.

yeah i think they should stop speedrunning and start lets playing too

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

counterpoint: horse tilting

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Skyrim run went all over the place last GDQ and it was still fun to watch. Granted, there were other shenanigans too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Suspicious Dish posted:

counterpoint: horse tilting

even that only happened like a half dozen times so it wasn’t the focus of the entire run

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I find the Doom OOB run boring too but that's taking it too far. Just look at it as 30 minutes to get something else done.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Glitchy runs can be fun to watch if the runner does a good job at explaining exactly what is going on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I love glitchy runs, I just don’t like when the only glitch is ‘get out of bounds’

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Or like, PSP Final Fantasy 1, where the one glitch is ‘immediately get endgame equipment, then proceed to play normally’ which has no interesting routing or strategies outside of the one glitch.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Besides, if they limited the number of glitches, we never would've got Arabian Nights.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm going to go oob at sgdq and you can't stop me

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

chiefnewo posted:

I find the Doom OOB run boring too but that's taking it too far. Just look at it as 30 minutes to get something else done.

The HL run was this for me. It's impressive sure, but like they're running scripts and stuff?

This is probably 100% nostalgia speaking since one of the first runs I started paying attention to was Wind Waker, but I like glitches in 3D games to be somewhat progressive in how they're breaking the game? It's a weird way to phrase it, I know; however, think about the super swim and how it looks when it's being executed versus something like HL2 damage boosting.

Video games.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The SpeedGaming channel on Twitch announced the seeding for the first (massive) round of the upcoming LttP Rando tournament and I thought the way they did it was pretty clever. They got the two finalists of the 2017 tournament, ajneb174 & Willard J. Bradley, to play a game of rando with all items pre-collected, and instead of going around looking for items, then were pulling the names of the participants. When one name was found, whichever name was pulled next was who they would face off against in the first round. Kind of a cool way to do that imo!

Also I signed up to do some item tracking! I initially signed up to do commentary, but it involved a knowledge quiz and I got a Discord notification about it on a Friday night when I was at a bar after a friend's rehearsal dinner. I excitedly took the quiz right then and there and probably hosed it up pretty bad due to being 3-4 drafts deep. Oops!

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

fool_of_sound posted:

Or like, PSP Final Fantasy 1, where the one glitch is ‘immediately get endgame equipment, then proceed to play normally’ which has no interesting routing or strategies outside of the one glitch.

Do you have a link to an explanation or something on this? Sounds kinda funny.

edit: Found an explanation.

synthetik fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 9, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

timp posted:

The SpeedGaming channel on Twitch announced the seeding for the first (massive) round of the upcoming LttP Rando tournament and I thought the way they did it was pretty clever. They got the two finalists of the 2017 tournament, ajneb174 & Willard J. Bradley, to play a game of rando with all items pre-collected, and instead of going around looking for items, then were pulling the names of the participants. When one name was found, whichever name was pulled next was who they would face off against in the first round. Kind of a cool way to do that imo!

Also I signed up to do some item tracking! I initially signed up to do commentary, but it involved a knowledge quiz and I got a Discord notification about it on a Friday night when I was at a bar after a friend's rehearsal dinner. I excitedly took the quiz right then and there and probably hosed it up pretty bad due to being 3-4 drafts deep. Oops!

Oh that is super neat. Are we going to make a dedicated thread for rando or can that live here?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

axeil posted:

Oh that is super neat. Are we going to make a dedicated thread for rando or can that live here?

Punchy loves rando chat, it is the pinnacle of speedgaming, keep it here.

My match vs Sabotender is Wednesday night, I'm speedrunning getting eliminated from the tournament.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rando chat is almost always in relation to speedrunning a randomized game so i say it stays here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Studio posted:

I'm going to go oob at sgdq and you can't stop me

Most food runs involve that so :shrug: