Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

people say it's perfectly fine to not own things like a washing machine because you can just go to a laundromat
The real problem with laundrettes is that they're actually incredibly expensive compared to owning a washing machine. I've used them as a temporary solution but never long term because I just can't afford to. Buying a new washing machine is a (relatively) big up-front cost but should last years - and if you can't afford that then you can usually get a second-hand one for free or nearly free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the "no man of woman born" twist was lame

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

As far as I know it basically doesn't exist in the US (at least not in that form, it seems to be more along the lines of overpriced subscription services rather than ordering directly from the store). I don't use it here in Germany much because you basically have to take the day off of work since the delivery window is like 6 hours.
The closest you get here in the US is that you can order online ahead of time and (for a fee of course) someone from the store will walk through the aisles and pre-purchase your poo poo then put it in bags for you, so you just drive up, walk into the store and pick up your already-bagged groceries.

In essence, you’re trading $X in order to save yourself the 30+ minutes of walking the aisles and standing in the checkout line. Doesn’t remove the need for a car though since you still have to get all those bags home.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This isn’t true everywhere in the US. Maybe out in the sticks, but larger cities are starting to have plenty of delivery options for groceries. Most of the larger food chains (Vons, Ralph’s etc.) have delivery services. Instacart is a thing too. Not sure how many cities it’s available in, but I don’t live in a major city at all and I can get groceries delivered within an hour and a half for a $6 dollar delivery fee and I usually give the delivery kid a $5. So for eleven bucks I’ve got a weekly delivery of anything I want including alcohol. It’s one of the main reasons I never bought another car after I sold my last one.

I know this isn’t available everywhere in the US yet, and probably will be a long time if ever for people out in real rural areas, but to say it doesn’t exist here is inaccurate.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

MagusofStars posted:

The closest you get here in the US is that you can order online ahead of time and (for a fee of course) someone from the store will walk through the aisles and pre-purchase your poo poo then put it in bags for you, so you just drive up, walk into the store and pick up your already-bagged groceries.

In essence, you’re trading $X in order to save yourself the 30+ minutes of walking the aisles and standing in the checkout line. Doesn’t remove the need for a car though since you still have to get all those bags home.

No, you're wrong.https://www.peapod.com/shop/auth/index.jhtml
Not lazy enough to use them myself, but they are out there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can get Whole Foods delivery but I don't want to become destitute while buying food

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Peapod may be the greatest thing in the world. Bulk shopping done through that, daily buying done at the Italian deli across from my work. City livin' is good livin'.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I swear Peapod crashed/burned during the last internet startup bubble. Have they hung on by the skin of their teeth since then, or did someone else buy their name?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know, but they still bring me delicious meats and frozen vegetables for super cheap.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I live in a decent sized city, and I don't have a car. It's actually pretty okay, though it does have its occasional challenges, and groceries are among them. I usually either use a delivery service (Instacart, through which I can usually get free delivery if I buy the right brands, though you still need to plan for a tip) or just budget enough extra for a cab when I'm getting more than I can reasonably carry with me on the bus. (The nearest grocery store being just up the road from me certainly doesn't hurt, and having a little convenience store right across the street really doesn't hurt. Food deserts are absolutely a thing, but I'm thankfully not in one.)

I'm absolutely not a NO ONE SHOULD OWN A CAR PUBLIC TRANSIT IS GOOD FOR EVERYONE person, though I think we as a society should be working toward a goal where no one needs to own a car. I also think we're absolutely not, except maybe in a select few cities, anywhere near that yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway my unpopular opinion is that a long bus commute is better than a long driving commute, for so many reasons.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think the right of individuals to manually pilot their own vehicles on the roads needs to be defended. I'm concerned that health and safety nonsense arising from everyone gushing over automated cars will put pressure on people who like to go out for a ride/drive on the twisties to pack it in. In most things like gun controls I take the cucktard health and safety forward view, but on this issue I'm on team MUH FREEDUMS

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People should always have the right to own a car. But there are too many incentives not to own one. Imagine never having to deal with parking again.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I certainly don't advocate for the banning of cars (unlike guns, except under specific circumstances). Instead cars and gas should be heavily taxed, to guide people to stop using them, and gather tax dollars from the ones who still wanna do so.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm not saying cars will be banned, but that being able to drive your own without having a robot nanny take over will get increasingly prohibitive, either by law or by insurance premiums. My opinion is that I should be allowed to drive. Specifically drive, not just own a car.

Azza Bamboo has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Apr 9, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you say the term "cucktard" even ironically, you're probably trash.

e: That's not an unpopular opinion on SA though.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Turtlicious posted:

If you say the term "cucktard" even ironically, you're probably trash.

I am trash... and apparently a trump lover?

docbeard posted:

Anyway my unpopular opinion is that a long bus commute is better than a long driving commute, for so many reasons.

When you're just trying to get home, it's nice not to have to bother with the road. I get that it's great for commuting.

That said, piloting almost any self powered vehicle can be incredibly rewarding and a lot fun of itself. I find the best way to make my long commutes great is to make them longer, take the stupid deadly roads once in a while. I'll mention now that I live in a rural area, so I don't have to "get out of the city" as it were, but I do have to go around one.

Being stuck in traffic at the wheel, surrounded by idiot drivers < Being bored sat down with strangers < Going for a country drive

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Azza Bamboo posted:

I am trash... and apparently a trump lover?

It's nice that you have that level of self-awareness, at least.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

When you're just trying to get home, it's nice not to have to bother with the road. I get that it's great for commuting.

That said, piloting almost any self powered vehicle can be incredibly rewarding and a lot fun of itself. I find the best way to make my long commutes great is to make them longer, take the stupid deadly roads once in a while. I'll mention now that I live in a rural area, so I don't have to "get out of the city" as it were, but I do have to go around one.

Being stuck in traffic at the wheel, surrounded by idiot drivers < Being bored sat down with strangers < Going for a country drive

Oh yeah, I absolutely love to drive (even though I haven't done much driving for a while) under the right circumstances.

I also love being able to nap on my way to work in the morning and to gently caress around on the internet on my way home at night while traffic is blissfully someone else's problem.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love driving out in the sticks for pleasure but the bus is way better for commuting. Driving home from work sucks rear end sometimes. Walk out the door all happy and free and then realize you've got to focus on poo poo for another however many minutes of commute instead of just crashing out on the bus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm living in London at the moment and the tube is the absolute pits. Too hot, too noisy, too crowded and it smells terrible; the DLR is a much better service but putting a kind of elevated train in most cities just isn't practical, because there just isn't enough room.

When I lived in Belfast, the easiest thing to do was to drive to the train station then get the train into work; there used to be a train station very close to my house but they closed it because it wasn't efficient. I wouldn't take the bus if I could avoid it because I took the bus when I was in school and it was rubbish.

Belfast is generally a much better place than London, which might be an unpopular opinion, I don't know.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The tube was much better when you could drown it out with booze.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I don't understand why socks and sandals are such a bad thing. You get the freedom and convenience of a sandal combined with the comfort and warmth of a sock! It's the PB+J of footwear! Wake up people!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Foot fetishists want to see your toes that's why

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Confirmed

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Canemacar posted:

I don't understand why socks and sandals are such a bad thing. You get the freedom and convenience of a sandal combined with the comfort and warmth of a sock! It's the PB+J of footwear! Wake up people!

It's more like the bacon ice cream of footwear, something that can only come from the type of decadence and deprevatity that exists in a declining empire.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Canemacar posted:

Programmer or engineer?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

More like Oldsockless!

...I've been wanting to do one of those for ages!

MizPiz posted:

It's more like the bacon ice cream of footwear, something that can only come from the type of decadence and deprevatity that exists in a declining empire.

"History is only the pattern of silken slippers socks and sandals descending the stairs to the thunder of hobnailed boots climbing upward from below." -Voltaire

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Absolutely agreed. Sock + sandal or flip flop is comfy af and there are a shitload of socks with fun designs to show off these days

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Guys why does everyone look at me funny when i wear shorts overtop my pants?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Wearing long johns under naturally distressed (is that the right term? worn-through knees, ragged cuffs, etc.) is and always has been an awesome and sexy fashion choice regardless of gender.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Long johns are called leggings now :hai:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's never been acceptable for men to wear leggings IMO. Even when working out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Spiderman wears them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I had a job where it was mandatory to wear leggings

Also Spider Man: Homecoming is the best Marvel film by a lot

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Pacifism is wrong. Some people just really deserve to have their face caved in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2JyYfNSbqA

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Midig posted:

Pacifism is wrong. Some people just really deserve to have their face caved in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2JyYfNSbqA

That's the extremely popular opinion, pacifism would be the unpopular one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Are we supposed to feel bad for the driver or the passenger because honestly I'd be pretty pissed at that lady too. There are signs all over the place at a hospital that tell you where the emergency room is.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

doverhog posted:

Long johns are called leggings now :hai:

Say it ain’t so! :(

Mu Zeta posted:

It's never been acceptable for men to wear leggings IMO. Even when working out.

This part seems right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Are we supposed to feel bad for the driver or the passenger because honestly, I'd be pretty pissed at that lady too. There are signs all over the place at a hospital that tell you where the emergency room is.

Very few people yell at someone like that for nothing. I personally think she tried to tick him off on purpose so she could have a nice viral video. Not that it matters. I can come up with very few situations where it's appropriate to not listen to someone to "get out". If its a club, your home, your car etc.