Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

edit gently caress I read that wrong. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vikar Jerome posted:

is that dukette based on that early quake2 build of dnf where there was a female blonde duke called bombshell aka, where the ion maiden bombshell comes from? timely, if true.

If I understand correctly, the game Bombshell started life as a Duke game, but the rights were lost or something. The devs retooled it with Bombshell as the main character, based on the concept of Bombshell from the early DN4E stuff. Now we are full circle with a prequal game made in the Build engine. I do not think it is canonly connected to Duke, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

"Scott Miller posted:

Sure. We had a small internal team, lead by engine coder, Billy Zelsnack and his brother, Jason, who were working on a fully 3D game in 1997, starring a female hero. It was going to be a war game, and your female character was a bit of a female Rambo. The two Zelsnack's had the idea of calling the game Bitch, and I put thought into coming up with a better name.

A month or two later, while watching the film, Barbwire, the ending credits had a generic "bombshell" character, and it immediately clicked that Bombshell could be a very cool name for the game, in place of Bitch.

The Zelsnack brothers left 3D Realms soon after, though, to start their own studio, and that's when I convinced my partner George that Bombshell should have a role in Duke Nukem Forever, with the idea of establishing her in that game, then giving her a spin-off game of her own.

Also yeah Dukette looks a lot like this early concept

both of these are from :nws:Here:nws:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the old 90s art where she's basically completely naked without even the metal gauntlet so there's no features to identify her as Bombshell at all and so they put a bomb on her hat

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Man those 90s Bombshell concepts were lame as gently caress. I'm happy with the current one.

Btw, this looks nice:
https://twitter.com/Arvydas_B/status/982671905504268289?s=19

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

KozmoNaut posted:

Duchess Nukem :colbert:

Vikar Jerome posted:

is that dukette based on that early quake2 build of dnf where there was a female blonde duke called bombshell aka, where the ion maiden bombshell comes from? timely, if true.

Lowen SoDium posted:

If I understand correctly, the game Bombshell started life as a Duke game, but the rights were lost or something. The devs retooled it with Bombshell as the main character, based on the concept of Bombshell from the early DN4E stuff. Now we are full circle with a prequal game made in the Build engine. I do not think it is canonly connected to Duke, though.

I mean, if we go by the recorded history, she was supposed to originally be a sidekick, then there was discussion of her having her own game after the supposed DNF release during the early 00s, but she was forgotten until 3DR had to swap Duke out for her since they were legally losing the rights to Duke.

I guess fem Duke is meant to be based on the early DNF Bombshell?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

"Looks nice" is one way of putting it. :stare:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any mods or engine ports that make Star Wars: Dark Forces work with mouse aim and WASD controls?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 7, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ion Maiden and Bombshell Bombshell are both miles and miles better than the weird Todd McFarland look they had for her originally. I can't believe people were mad about her being a cop\pissed off lady with a robot arm.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any mods or engine ports that make Star Wars: Dark Forces work with mouse aim and WASD controls?

I'm pretty sure the version on Steam works with mouse aim and WASD. Like, 85% sure.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah there's no fully working source port as the code was never released. DarkXL is supposedly 90% complete and will likely never progress beyond that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yo let's talk more about this. Adventures of Square is loving awesome.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Look who turned up in Quake Champions:

https://twitter.com/Quake/status/982709605380784129

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That Borderlands 2 character looks weird.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm just glad there are people here talking about Quake and Duke and whatnot, beautiful man. I don't get that kinda 80s parody video with a Starscream sounding guy I don't remember that from Quake 2, but I respect the hell out of their vision for putting that out there.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks more like a Strogg from Quake 4 to me. What I don't get is the Borderlands style trailer.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's super incongruous with the visual style of the actual game. What I don't understand is how they came up with an active ability that turns you into a flying machine gun and then thought "yes. That. Of all the things we could possibly do, that's the one we should do."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont remember the strogg speaking english in quake wars but then again its been like a decade

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Yeah, he's straight-up the Strogg Infiltrator class from Quake Wars wearing the Oppressor's wing-thingies. Peeker looks a bit like the repair drone creatures from Quake 4.

As for the video itself, I'm under the impression that it was intended as part of some April Fools shenanigans that didn't pan out in time, so now we ended up with a bizarre, kinda-cringey reveal video.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

site posted:

i dont remember the strogg speaking english in quake wars but then again its been like a decade

Trespasser!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm pretty sure the version on Steam works with mouse aim and WASD. Like, 85% sure.

Yes, it is set to WASD and enabled mouse by default, but also includes the install.exe (poke around in the game directory) which should let you configure controls via DOS. It's the original install file so still doesn't let you set secondary fire to a mouse button, but apart from that it should be fine.

However no version of the game has vertical mouselook, though DarkXL was planned to.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

treat posted:

This also reminds me that I haven't seen a single god drat word about the Battlezone 2 remake (Battlezone: Combat Commander) in this thread since its release, and that saddens me especially since Rebellion released 1.6gb of assets for modders to keep the BZ2 dream alive.

Wait, that's a remake? I thought it was just a normal GOG release of BZ2:CC with a patch that updates the renderer to support modern GPUs, and the description and reviews seem to confirm that.

Arcsquad12 posted:

DarkXL came so goddamn close and then the developer dropped in favour of loving around in Daggerfall for two years and then dropped off the face of the net without ever following through on the promise to release the source. :negative:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, the XL Engine is almost certainly dead as poo poo. There's not even anybody around to clean up the forums, which are now populated entirely by spambots, and the blog is down. It's a shame, especially after popping back up like he did (I kinda wish he'd at least released the Shadow Warrior port, the ones around right now seem to work but all have different issues), and especially since, while everything else is covered, Dark Forces is not.

As for Bombshell looks, I kinda dig this one:

But it's basically Judge Anderson with some bombs.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was gonna say Judge Anderson and am pleased you said it! Get Brian Bolland to do art direction on some games. (and get John Wagner to write them while we're at it)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, that's a remake? I thought it was just a normal GOG release of BZ2:CC with a patch that updates the renderer to support modern GPUs, and the description and reviews seem to confirm that.

Yeah. No. I meant to say remaster. My bad.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Jordan7hm posted:

Yo let's talk more about this. Adventures of Square is loving awesome.

They nailed the soundtrack again, as expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOuSLbq_Ti4

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Adventures of Square is really loving solid and deserves more love. I've yet to play the new levels as I'm replaying the retooled first episode and yeah, it holds up well.

In my head i thought of it as a weird off shoot of Chex Quest, but its far more ambitious. Between this and Rise of Wool Ball we're having a good goddamn time with Total Conversions recently.

Now if Golden Souls 2 were to come out I'd truly die happy.

----
Re: Dark Forces it really blows that its the last major Early FPS that hasn't received any sort of modern concessions.

I thought for sure Blood would take that honor, but GDX came in and did the impossible. Hell, Good old games even jerry rigged the western Outlaws to somehow work half-decently.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Shoehead posted:

The early designs have a goofy style to them, like they were trying to a direct gender-swap of Duke. The Dan Panosian ones remind me of some other artist's work I've seen before (or it's more of his work, can't remember), or something you'd see in Heavy Metal. Paul Richard's stuff just sort of seems like plain pin-up art for the most part , but the 2009 version is just :geno:

The new version of Shelly seems like they took the tactical gear style from Feng Zhu's designs, but then gave her a really cool punk look (mostly with how here hair is styled). I don't think it's brought up in that dev post, but someone in the thread said that Shelly's appearance/face is based off someone.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Shoehead posted:

That double barreled belt fed handcannon looks sweet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Where tf is ORB?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, some fans in that comment section are really 'not fun allowed'.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I downloaded Adventures of Square, and it's kicking my rear end far more than I'm used too.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Shoehead posted:

Where tf is ORB?

Seriously, where the gently caress are Orb and Bones? Orb's passive ability can literally just be "has small hitbox" and Bones could make skeleton puns the entire time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't there an Orb statue in one of the maps? I remember it from the reveal trailer.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

haveblue posted:

Isn't there an Orb statue in one of the maps? I remember it from the reveal trailer.

Are you thinking of the giant captured eye thing?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I want them to include the Dragonborn just because of how stupidly ill-fitting he would be.

And they totally could, too.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Orbb's ability would be going blind whenever you take damage

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

HolyKrap posted:

Orbb's ability would be going blind whenever you take damage

A text to speech program should also blare out "I got something in my eye!" every time too

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dusk ep3 looking real good.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/248060382

NB's spot starts at three hours in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I downloaded Adventures of Square, and it's kicking my rear end far more than I'm used too.

The easiest difficulty level actually has full health regeneration, which is awesome for folks who like to just "sight see" their way through titles.

I'm on the next easiest difficulty setting (hence my endless posts bitching about how Duke 3d basically doesn't have an easy mode) and finding Adventures of Square perfectly tuned.

I can breeze through most levels but if I get cocky I can find myself in a tough spot; a tough sequence or two can still wreck me. I just adore Adventures of Square's combat and I wish it got more love.