Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Yesterday was fun. This bird is apparently a terror to everyone but lets me pet her and refuses to leave my shoulder. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Amazons are such great birds. Big green footballs :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Yesterday was fun. This bird is apparently a terror to everyone but lets me pet her and refuses to leave my shoulder. :3:

Birds can tell when they find a kindred spirit

Unfortunately since we know all birds are assholes...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Take the bird home.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Birds can tell when they find a kindred spirit

Unfortunately since we know all birds are assholes...

I’ll start on the tiny prescription sunglasses. :)

FactsAreUseless posted:

Take the bird home.

My father and I are in the process of finding a home. If I get a place that allows “loud screm Birb” I’m down.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Captain Log posted:

That Amazon has the expression of Sam the Eagle

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Captain Log posted:

She is sweet, but clearly contemplating screm

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

I’ll start on the tiny prescription sunglasses. :)

My father and I are in the process of finding a home. If I get a place that allows “loud screm Birb” I’m down.

:neckbeard:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How are Indian Ringneck parakeets as pets? They're very cute, but I've never known anyone who has one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

How are Indian Ringneck parakeets as pets? They're very cute, but I've never known anyone who has one.

Super nervous and flighty until you somehow level them up into Marnie the YouTube parrot.

I understand why they were thought to be Gods in India. If it was two thousand years ago and a bird started calling me pretty, I’d worship it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
How concerned should I be about a CFL bulb shattering in the same room as my budgie? To my understanding they don’t contain nearly as much mercury vapours as older fluorescent lights...

He doesn’t seem listless or anything. He’s dismantling my phone case as we speak.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

How concerned should I be about a CFL bulb shattering in the same room as my budgie? To my understanding they don’t contain nearly as much mercury vapours as older fluorescent lights...

He doesn’t seem listless or anything. He’s dismantling my phone case as we speak.

Open a window for five minutes and don’t worry.

The sad thing with birds is the things that kill them will act long before you have time to react.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Captain Log posted:

Open a window for five minutes and don’t worry.

The sad thing with birds is the things that kill them will act long before you have time to react.

That's so true. I remember my childhood neighbors having a budgie. This is a story itself. I was around nine years old when I got a phonecall one morning from our neighbors that there was "a parrot in the trees in the yard!" so here we are, a bunch of dumb kids trying to catch an escaped budgie with nothing but super soakers (Kids, right??). We knew it would be traumatic for this creature but we ALSO knew there was no way such a bird could survive Northern Ontario for too long on its lonesome. A few hours later we managed to find a cage from someone else, catch the bird and get it all ready. I remember the poor pissed off wet budgie wrapped in paper towel with only his head poking out. It didn't take him long to become our friend, though. The week later he was perching on us and being a general idiot. Unfortunately he passed away a few years later due to a Naphthalene bug killing thing one of their sisters opened up. He was singing happily that morning and dropped dead suddenly. :( Birds are at once hardy but also so delicate.

Everyone go pour one for Ford, he was a good bird. He was green. Had a beak. Was nice.

E: My budgie was perched on my hand while I wrote this out and has been asking me bird questions (tweet? Squeak?) the whole time

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 8, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

That's so true. I remember my childhood neighbors having a budgie. This is a story itself. I was around nine years old when I got a phonecall one morning from our neighbors that there was "a parrot in the trees in the yard!" so here we are, a bunch of dumb kids trying to catch an escaped budgie with nothing but super soakers (Kids, right??). We knew it would be traumatic for this creature but we ALSO knew there was no way such a bird could survive Northern Ontario for too long on its lonesome. A few hours later we managed to find a cage from someone else, catch the bird and get it all ready. I remember the poor pissed off wet budgie wrapped in paper towel with only his head poking out. It didn't take him long to become our friend, though. The week later he was perching on us and being a general idiot. Unfortunately he passed away a few years later due to a Naphthalene bug killing thing one of their sisters opened up. He was singing happily that morning and dropped dead suddenly. :( Birds are at once hardy but also so delicate.

Everyone go pour one for Ford, he was a good bird. He was green. Had a beak. Was nice.

E: My budgie was perched on my hand while I wrote this out and has been asking me bird questions (tweet? Squeak?) the whole time

God, bird memories almost always choke me up.

I haven't drank in five years, but a little Red Bull will get tipped for sure. :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So uh, I came out of the house today to find a cockatiel sitting in the grass.

after observing for a bit it seemed to be getting swooped by some Noisy Mynas, and didnt appear to be too interested in flying so I approached. it seemed tame-ish cos it turned face on to me as I approached with some seeds (we have chickens) but then started walking/jumping towards some shrub cover.

Anyway, we captured it and put it in a possum/rat trap (cage) with some food and some water, and covered half the cage with a thick sheet.

I had to go to work so I left it sitting away from the chicken coop in a secluded area.

Anything else I should do besides list a bird as found on local facebook groups?

edit: no collar on its feet, maybe clipped wings?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 9, 2018

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Laserface posted:

So uh, I came out of the house today to find a cockatiel sitting in the grass.

after observing for a bit it seemed to be getting swooped by some Noisy Mynas, and didnt appear to be too interested in flying so I approached. it seemed tame-ish cos it turned face on to me as I approached with some seeds (we have chickens) but then started walking/jumping towards some shrub cover.

Anyway, we captured it and put it in a possum/rat trap (cage) with some food and some water, and covered half the cage with a thick sheet.

I had to go to work so I left it sitting away from the chicken coop in a secluded area.

Anything else I should do besides list a bird as found on local facebook groups?

edit: no collar on its feet, maybe clipped wings?

There's a chance it could be chipped? If you have an exotics/bird vet around you, I'd recommend taking it there so they can check it. They might also have better channels for reuniting lost pets.

Talk to your neighbours or keep an eye out on your street - if its wings are indeed clipped or it's not a flier then it can't have come from far away.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/puffin-beaks-flouresce-1.4607386

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Log posted:

Super nervous and flighty until you somehow level them up into Marnie the YouTube parrot.

I understand why they were thought to be Gods in India. If it was two thousand years ago and a bird started calling me pretty, I’d worship it.

the beaks on Indian Ringnecks scare the poo poo out of me; I've been bitten hard by a baby and while it didn't break the skin it certainly pinched a lot and that thing comes to a hell of a point

INRs seem really, really cute but I understand they can be kind of neurotic in puberty (lol what bird isn't) and can have a hard time being around birds that aren't in their species

two years down the line we still like having four birds but wish we'd stuck with just the cockatiel and budgie #1 (Booberry). Griddle is a sweet bird that I love with all my heart, but green cheeks are a lot harder than budgies and cockatiels and they're still an ideal pet bird.

The Narrator posted:

There's a chance it could be chipped? If you have an exotics/bird vet around you, I'd recommend taking it there so they can check it. They might also have better channels for reuniting lost pets.

Talk to your neighbours or keep an eye out on your street - if its wings are indeed clipped or it's not a flier then it can't have come from far away.

and if you can't find the owner, consider keeping it

Cockatiels are really really awesome birds, imo. You can have a really rewarding relationship with them without having to worry about constant finger manglings (they just don't have as much beak strength as nutcracking birds do) and cockatiel behavior is... unique :derptiel:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 9, 2018

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have one, and he is a banshee. He likes to squeak, chatter and fly around in circles for no reason, but unlike the famous ones on youtube/instagram, he hasn't learned to say anything and isn't cuddly. I think this is the norm for them. He's also spent most of his life around 2 cockatiels so I think he believes he is one and he gets along really well with them. Thankfully, he's never been a biter. He doesn't like hands but does love to hang out with my wife and I, but on his terms only.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This morning, Ozzy the rescue cockatiel called for me when I got out of bed, came and hung out with me (at what he decided was a comfortable distance) while i drank my coffee, and enjoyed some kisses. :kimchi: He's doing so well!

On the other hand, Sera is two and angry and horny and he refused to even look at me for several hours this morning. Also he's going to try to bite things outside the window and dig up my potted plants and just generally destroy everything in sight. He's been with me since he was three months old but no, today he hates me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well the bird is still here.

I asked neighbors and no one owns it, although one neighbor has 2 cockatiels she also had mysteriously arrive in her backyard. Our houses back onto a bush reserve so it's either a wild one (doubtful) or someone dumps unwanted juveniles there that might not be worth much to sell.

She gave us a cage and we had bird seed already for our chickens so it's ours I guess.

Do they like toys or something to do? I've got him near the window so he can see the trees and hear all the other birds (he's talking to them a lot)

Gave him some fruit and lettuce to eat also and some good branches to perch on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Give the 'tiel something to shred (fresh veggies in large chunks is probably best, old newspapers can also be fun) and something to push/throw around.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Awwww look at this handsome boi.

Thanks, he's a good boi most of the time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Laserface posted:

I asked neighbors and no one owns it, although one neighbor has 2 cockatiels she also had mysteriously arrive in her backyard. Our houses back onto a bush reserve so it's either a wild one (doubtful) or someone dumps unwanted juveniles there that might not be worth much to sell.

She gave us a cage and we had bird seed already for our chickens so it's ours I guess.

Do they like toys or something to do? I've got him near the window so he can see the trees and hear all the other birds (he's talking to them a lot)

We will literally walk you through anything you need to know. Cockatiels, as parrots go, are pretty hardy. You can make a mistake and not ruin the bird.

Also...pictures...you should have pictures...

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

You might want to be careful with the lettuce, i am pretty sure that iceberg lettuce is not good for parrots (someone correct me if I'm wrong), other types should be fine though.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

GoldStandardConure posted:

You might want to be careful with the lettuce, i am pretty sure that iceberg lettuce is not good for parrots (someone correct me if I'm wrong), other types should be fine though.

From what I remember, it's because lettuce is mostly water to the point where it's just nutritionally vacant. So yeah, avoid it in favour of veggies like carrot, broccoli, pumpkin, chillis and stuff.

Obviously, never feed birds onion, avocado, chocolate, or any sort of caffeine, because they're all super toxic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yoshi is in the hospital today after another day of vomiting. He seemed to be recovering and we're not sure at all what could have caused this. The vet is meeting with my wife today at 3:00, so hopefully we can figure out what this is once and for all and get him better. The money is one thing, but leaving him there overnight was really heartbreaking.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Bicyclops posted:

Yoshi is in the hospital today after another day of vomiting. He seemed to be recovering and we're not sure at all what could have caused this. The vet is meeting with my wife today at 3:00, so hopefully we can figure out what this is once and for all and get him better. The money is one thing, but leaving him there overnight was really heartbreaking.

I hope Yoshi is ok! Sending good vibes to your birb and family!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shirec posted:

I hope Yoshi is ok! Sending good vibes to your birb and family!

Thank you! They're telling us that he is eating on his own again, which is a good sign.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Get well soon, Yoshi. :ohdear: I hope he's able to come home soon.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Get well, Yoshi!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Get well soon, Yoshi!

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Get well soon, Yoshi!

Pip pip pip posted:

We have some family coming to visit for a week, which includes a 1.5 year old baby/toddler. They're staying with us.

Any tips on preventing a baby vs. Conure screaming match? I already intend to have no physical interaction bc I don't want my birbs to get squished. They've never encountered a child before so this will be interesting...

Babby trip report: Things went surprisingly well. Ozzy screaming did not set off the baby and baby did not set off Ozzy. Ozzy did have a couple fits because he was getting less attention though.

Baby - bird interactions (with 3ft safe zone) were pretty cute. Baby tried to share his toy and learned to wave hi and make kissy noises. Ozzy kiss noised back, also waved and did his turn-around trick. Good bird, Ozzy!!

Nugget was terrified and went flying around the room once, which totally freaked the baby out.

Will be nice when the kid is like 7 or 8 and maybe allowed to pet a bird lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Pip pip pip posted:

Get well soon, Yoshi!

Babby trip report: Things went surprisingly well. Ozzy screaming did not set off the baby and baby did not set off Ozzy. Ozzy did have a couple fits because he was getting less attention though.

Baby - bird interactions (with 3ft safe zone) were pretty cute. Baby tried to share his toy and learned to wave hi and make kissy noises. Ozzy kiss noised back, also waved and did his turn-around trick. Good bird, Ozzy!!

Nugget was terrified and went flying around the room once, which totally freaked the baby out.

Will be nice when the kid is like 7 or 8 and maybe allowed to pet a bird lol

Pictuuuuuuuures!

(Yoshi - You best be getting better soon! You got scritches to get!)

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Spencer continues to improve socially as he settles in to our house. We are able to have more physical contact with him without him biting hard, although he is still cage dependent and will not allow us to take him off his cage willingly. This past week has seen noted improvement in his reception of scritches, and I have started (perhaps suicidally) allowing him to preen my beard and face a bit - with my eyes clenched shut. Last weekend he also started hopping down to the ground on his own and taking a bit of a wander, but as soon as we "noticed" him he would run back and get on his cage. I know I am not spending as much time with Scout as I used to but she seems to be holding up OK. It helps that Spencer goes to bed an hour before she does so I can still hang out with her. Spencer is very adamant about bed time. 8PM exactly is lights out, or our neighbours are treated to yelling cloud. 8:30 is bedtime, and he is really good about it, no complaints ever. The other night we got to hear him murmuring in his sleep :3:

Spencer still thinks phones and cameras are the work of birdy satan and will not allow us to photograph him.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So here's my bird.

How do I make him:
Friendly
Sing along to things
Sit on me
Not cower in fear when I get near his cage

Currently has a cuttlefish bone and a seed mix to eat and occasionally berries/banana/carrot

What else should his cage have?

Also need name ideas since our chickens are "white chook" and "lil chook" even though lil chook is now twice the size of white chook. Clearly not good at the naming thing.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 12, 2018

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Laserface posted:

So here's my bird.

How do I make him:
Friendly
Sing along to things
Sit on me

Currently has a cuttlefish bone and a seed mix to eat and occasionally berries/banana/carrot

Also need name ideas since our chickens are "white chook" and "lil chook" even though lil chook is now twice the size of white chook. Clearly not good at the naming thing.

That is one handsome tater, congrats! Cute lil bean. He needs some toys and some stuff to keep him occupied, as well as a couple different kinds of perches.

Get well soon Yoshi!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Laserface posted:

So here's my bird.

How do I make him:
Friendly
Sing along to things
Sit on me

You need time near him, a steady diet of healthy food and treats, toys to keep him occupied, and your calm presence nearby with offerings of treats to get him to associate you with good things.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Being around him while not attempting to interact with him and a supreme amount of patience is the best plan. Birds can take a very long while to warm up to you but they will eventually, just make a point of being in the same room without trying to play with him or anything, just do your own thing nearby and his own curiosity will eventually outweigh the fear. Once he's not really afraid you can push boundaries, but have patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

How do I make him:
Friendly
Sing along to things
Sit on me