Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ginette Reno posted:

You can justify it as a noble too. If you're a pragmatic warden, you'll recognize that Bhelen is more capable than Harrowmont.

Even a goody two shoes Dwarf Noble would probably still prefer Bhelen just because they'd want the best for the Dwarven people and would recognize that Harrowmont is a weak leader.

Oh you can justify it as a Noble, it's more that as a Commoner, you aren't really given any compelling reasons not to side with Bhelen. Like it'd take a pretty stonehearted Commoner to just burn Rita like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh you can justify it as a Noble, it's more that as a Commoner, you aren't really given any compelling reasons not to side with Bhelen. Like it'd take a pretty stonehearted Commoner to just burn Rita like that.

My first game of DAO was as a Noble, and I sided with Harrowmont because gently caress Bhelen. I was not expecting Bioware to actually make Bhelen the objectively better choice for dwarven society.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I really liked the inverse sky thing they did with the inner part of the Titan. It hit home how alien of a creature it was supposed to be. I was expecting some sentient geode, so it was a neat reveal.

If we ever get a sequel, I wonder if they'll portray the Titans as benevolent but distant, or just as domineering as the old spirits/elves. The dwarves originally being their automata, even if the only source for that is elven, sorta paints them in a...paternalistc light at best.

Plus after 3 games basically trying as hard as possible to ignore the trope of elves vs. dwarves, Trespasser's lore basically underpins the whole setting on it.

Thought that was pretty funny.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Smol posted:

Is it fair to do these "Choose X or Y" (like Bhelen or Harrowmont in this case) debates with the 20/20 vision of hindsight? I think these debates would be much more interesting if they were framed in terms of what the player knows at the time of making the decision.

It's meta but I'm saying that the choice is deliberately "Look how nice Harrowmont is" for ages and ages then "haha, it turns out he's poo poo, in your face!!".
There's no way you'd pick Bhelen from the information the game actively gives you.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Taear posted:

It's meta but I'm saying that the choice is deliberately "Look how nice Harrowmont is" for ages and ages then "haha, it turns out he's poo poo, in your face!!".
There's no way you'd pick Bhelen from the information the game actively gives you.

I did. He always seemed like the best choice. Harrowmont was a conniving toad.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

PureRok posted:

I did. He always seemed like the best choice. Harrowmont was a conniving toad.

I can see that UNLESS you're a dwarf noble, then the game has pretty much thrown at you how loving much Bhelen sucks and how you've been poo poo on non-stop and how Harrowmont was your dad's bestie and the most likely to try to set things straight.

Except then he doesn't cause, yep, conniving toad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I want Harrowmont the first time but I made a lot of dumb choices the first time

Such as playing a warrior

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

John Dyne posted:

I can see that UNLESS you're a dwarf noble,

Yea, I always play has a human noble. I'm the guy who buys vanilla ice cream with no toppings at the ice-cream parlor.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smol posted:

Is it fair to do these "Choose X or Y" (like Bhelen or Harrowmont in this case) debates with the 20/20 vision of hindsight? I think these debates would be much more interesting if they were framed in terms of what the player knows at the time of making the decision.

I always sided with Bhelen because an Aeducan should always rule the Dwarves.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Admiral Ray posted:

I always sided with Bhelen because an Aeducan should always rule the Dwarves.
My justification with my ruthless dwarf noble was this plus the fact that I made sure that the illegitimate child I sired would be an Aeducan... who would be an excellent replacement for Bhelen if he were to have an "accident".

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
As a non-dwarf I thought not enough info was given on either character to make a reasoned choice. All I gathered was Bhelen was smart and deceptive while Harrowmont was a noble. I didn’t get the sense of Bhelen as a radical and didn’t know anything about Harrowmont’s personality (IIRC you can’t meet him unless you agree to side with him).

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

snoremac posted:

Maybe there’s more to him but Blackwall seems like the most generic boring party member in the series.
Having just done his quest this is pretty ironic in retrospect.

Unrelated, but Dragon Age 4 needs to make it possible to make companions jelly that you dumped them for other companions. I dumped Josephine and immediately went out with Sera and I am going to leave her too for Iron Bull and it’s a shame they won’t fight.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 7, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

snoremac posted:

Having just done his quest this is pretty ironic in retrospect.

Unrelated, but Dragon Age 4 needs to make it possible to make companions jelly that you dumped them for other companions. I dumped Josephine and immediately went out with Sera and I am going to leave her too for Iron Bull and it’s a shame they won’t fight.

So few people do that, it'd be a lot of content for no reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At this rate Dragon Age 4 is only going to have the budget for a romance VN anyway.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Taear posted:

So few people do that, it'd be a lot of content for no reason.
With the amount of action-specific dialogue/cutscenes they have in Inquisition I don't think it'd be hard to add a few things in respect to my sick desires.

exquisite tea posted:

At this rate Dragon Age 4 is only going to have the budget for a romance VN anyway.
I've heard about how underwhelming Andromeda was, but wasn't Inquisition made by a different studio? Did they all abandon ship?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

snoremac posted:

With the amount of action-specific dialogue/cutscenes they have in Inquisition I don't think it'd be hard to add a few things in respect to my sick desires.

I've heard about how underwhelming Andromeda was, but wasn't Inquisition made by a different studio? Did they all abandon ship?

There's really very few cutscenes that are as specific as breaking up with a character and getting with another!

It is a different studio developing it but a lot of them were taken away to work on Anthem. While I am sort of expecting DA4 I don't really know what I'm thinking it'll be. It's been said a lot but Bioware isn't really a studio any more.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

snoremac posted:

A bunch of DA team employees have left Bioware and also there is some worry around that EA will have looked at the Andromeda mess and decided that high budget RPGs won't make money

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

snoremac posted:

Dragon Age 4 needs to make it possible to make companions jelly that you dumped them for other companions. I dumped Josephine and immediately went out with Sera and I am going to leave her too for Iron Bull and it’s a shame they won’t fight.

:argh: How could you do that to poor Josie, you cad! But seriously I’d think breaking up could at least apply a hidden dis/approval rating depending on circumstances (sometimes it’s a relief when the other person initiates the breakup!). Sera and Iron Bull would probably high five and move on.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

On my first playthrough I went for maximum romances (as I do), and there was definitely some dialogue in Trespasser with Sera that was all about how we broke up. She does not take it very well, especially if you end it in the cutscene after the Temple of Mythal, where she says the elven gods are all bullshit and you can tell her if she believes that then you shouldn't be together. It's pretty rough.

Iron Bull is totally cool with it regardless though, and near as I can figure everyone else just won't talk to you for a bit.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I haven’t played Trespasser yet but that ending is fascinating from a lore perspective but an underwhelming conclusion to the story. You don’t get the sense that the Inquisition’s gathered strength really matters in the final battle, and Corypheus is a one-note chump and not much of a fight (and rendered less of a big deal when the Stone Cold Steve Austin of Dragon Age suddenly shows up and steals his thunder). It’s sad there’s no character epilogues for the party too.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Play Trespasser.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

snoremac posted:

I haven’t played Trespasser yet but that ending is fascinating from a lore perspective but an underwhelming conclusion to the story. You don’t get the sense that the Inquisition’s gathered strength really matters in the final battle, and Corypheus is a one-note chump and not much of a fight (and rendered less of a big deal when the Stone Cold Steve Austin of Dragon Age suddenly shows up and steals his thunder). It’s sad there’s no character epilogues for the party too.

You get 'em in Trespasser, The Real Ending

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

snoremac posted:

Your first five words explain nearly all your complaints. Trespasser is the true ending of DA3, and it's kind of lovely that Bioware didn't include this DLC in the base game.

But are you sure there were no character epilogues? I'm 95% certain that there were ending slides for your companions, the Inquisition, the Grey Wardens, Orlais, etc. after finishing the base game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You don't get ending slides for the base game because you're just given the chance to continue playing where you 'left off' before the final battle, except that Solas is gone and one of the others is a Divine candidate.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

At the end of the base game you get slides about who you sided with (mages / Templars), who you made ruler in Orlais, Grey Wardens and who became Divine.
No character slides on your companions, those come at the end of Trespasser.

So, for once I tried the route of leaving Blackwall to rot in jail and it’s disappointing how it just stops. There is no resolution at all. No one mentions him again in any conversation and I expected that at least Leliana would eventually tell me that he had been executed in Orlais. Instead it’s as if he never existed at all.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Man, I tried everything I could to make Leliana Divine, but I still got Cassandra. I hope we can still use the Keep for DA4 instead of importing a direct save, because that's the world state I want dammit!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Man, I tried everything I could to make Leliana Divine, but I still got Cassandra. I hope we can still use the Keep for DA4 instead of importing a direct save, because that's the world state I want dammit!

Did you ally with the Mages? That pretty much guarantees Leliana becomes the Divine

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Did you ally with the Mages? That pretty much guarantees Leliana becomes the Divine

The election is surprisingly complex and includes conversation choices throughout the game, not just major plot decisions.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 8, 2018

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

SgtSteel91 posted:

I allied with the mages on my first playthrough, and even did the decision that gives +10 to Leliana's chances, but on that run I was actively supporting Cassandra. This time I went with the Templars just for a change of pace.

This is sort of why I want the Keep to work for DA4, because my first playthrough was pretty much the world state I would want to import, but with a few key decisions that I messed up (Chargers and Divine)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ShakeZula posted:

I allied with the mages on my first playthrough, and even did the decision that gives +10 to Leliana's chances, but on that run I was actively supporting Cassandra. This time I went with the Templars just for a change of pace.

This is sort of why I want the Keep to work for DA4, because my first playthrough was pretty much the world state I would want to import, but with a few key decisions that I messed up (Chargers and Divine)

I can't remember reading a single negative reaction to the Keep, either on SA or the few times I looked at the Bioware forums. It's a really cool tool, which also allows them to make decisions matter that weren't tracked in the original saves. It is a weak form of piracy protection as well. And it worked well as an introduction to the important previous events for new players. I can't imagine Bioware not using the Keep for DA4.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Torrannor posted:

I can't remember reading a single negative reaction to the Keep, either on SA or the few times I looked at the Bioware forums. It's a really cool tool, which also allows them to make decisions matter that weren't tracked in the original saves. It is a weak form of piracy protection as well. And it worked well as an introduction to the important previous events for new players. I can't imagine Bioware not using the Keep for DA4.

I dunno, they added a version of the Keep for Mass Effect Andromeda and I sure can't imagine them using it for the next Mass Effect game ten years from now.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I can't imagine a next Mass Effect game.

Torrannor posted:

It also allowed Bioware to fix issues with the save import-export system. With DA:O they really hadn't figured the concept of a persistent, player-specific worldstate across various games in a series out yet. It was buggy, allowed "illegal" worldstates and wasn't even tracking a lot of things.
Allowing people to import a save that had gone from DA:O -> DA:O's DLCs -> DA2 would have been very messy.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My main complaint about the Keep is that sometimes it asks me questions about what happened to some fuckin' nobody from a game I haven't played in years without giving me any supporting information to help jog my memory. Who the gently caress was Keran?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Crotch posted:

My main complaint about the Keep is that sometimes it asks me questions about what happened to some fuckin' nobody from a game I haven't played in years without giving me any supporting information to help jog my memory. Who the gently caress was Keran?

AND AND AND sometimes they straight-up ignore it! Like hey, I put Bella in charge of the dang tavern in Redcliffe, if you're gonna track that then where is Bella's tavern in DA:I Redcliffe eh?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did you kill Kelder in DA2?

Frankly I'd be kinda interested in seeing how some of these minor choices might come into play in the future.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

AND AND AND sometimes they straight-up ignore it! Like hey, I put Bella in charge of the dang tavern in Redcliffe, if you're gonna track that then where is Bella's tavern in DA:I Redcliffe eh?

Pretty certain you're never in that part of Redcliffe in Inquistion.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Taear posted:

Oh, you absolutely could just based on what you see of dwarven society. Even if you're not playing one, you're given a good glimpse at how insane the dwarven caste system is and how horrifically the poor are treated, and then your told 'Harrowmont wants to keep the status quo, Bhelen actually wants to change things.'

He might be doing it in an extremely underhanded way, but you get the sense he has to because if the dumbfuck nobles caught wind of his actual goal of up-ending centuries of rear end-backwards tradition they never would have let him get away with it. Smash the state, vote Bhelen :rock:

On my last playthrough I even tricked Harrowmont and supported him right up until the last second before specifying the paragon didn't even care who was king but that I, specifically, was supporting Bhelen :allears:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

On my last playthrough I even tricked Harrowmont and supported him right up until the last second before specifying the paragon didn't even care who was king but that I, specifically, was supporting Bhelen :allears:

But he's a baddie to you. I get that he wants to smash the state but the game has him as the villain of the area. Why would you pick the villain?
I remember in the original thread loads of people getting to the end of the game having picked Harrowmont and being mad they needed to play through again to get a "perfect" ending. Since of course that's when we thought DA:O would get a proper sequel.

It's four years since inquisition came out in November this year. I can't quite wrap my head around that.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Taear posted:

But he's a baddie to you. I get that he wants to smash the state but the game has him as the villain of the area. Why would you pick the villain?
I remember in the original thread loads of people getting to the end of the game having picked Harrowmont and being mad they needed to play through again to get a "perfect" ending. Since of course that's when we thought DA:O would get a proper sequel.

It's four years since inquisition came out in November this year. I can't quite wrap my head around that.

There had to have been something that shows him as not the villain, because I only play the Goodest of Good people in my games. I haven't played through that section in probably 6-ish years, so I can't remember, but there's no way there weren't hints as to him being the better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nichael posted:

Pretty certain you're never in that part of Redcliffe in Inquistion.

Yeah and that's lame! I wanna see how the place changed in the past 10 years or so.