Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The robe is easily the most functional of those tmrs but yeah holding them off till later might be better. Not because there's a whole lot of new tmrs units that might be good, but because with 7* you are going to want to use their tmrs on most of them and you gotta pick who gets priority based on it.

Who knows Olives might be completely busted and you'd want to use it when she gets 7*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got genji gloves and I have two zidanes. Should I get the dw materia from the store? What about the armor?

Armor’s ok. DW is always great. It’s a dramatic bump in effectiveness for even expedition units. I have Genji, 2 awesome adventurer, 2 DW and 3 Bowie knives and I still picked one up.

As far as the tm’s go, rainbow robe is great but VoL’s TM is underrated I say. If you have a mage I’d prioritize that because it’s going to stay glued to them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ugato posted:

Armor’s ok. DW is always great. It’s a dramatic bump in effectiveness for even expedition units. I have Genji, 2 awesome adventurer, 2 DW and 3 Bowie knives and I still picked one up.

As far as the tm’s go, rainbow robe is great but VoL’s TM is underrated I say. If you have a mage I’d prioritize that because it’s going to stay glued to them.

I don't have VoL, I have VoF/VoE/VoW though

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'd recommend picking up the materias as well. They are much stronger than they look against undead. Those killer effects multiply your entire damage output, while regular ATK% and MAG% only multiply your potted stats. The Magic ones are especially good since Magical killers are far and few between.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got genji gloves and I have two zidanes. Should I get the dw materia from the store? What about the armor?

You can never have too many dual wield materias.

Also that robe isn't bad.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't have VoL, I have VoF/VoE/VoW though

That was intended for lurker’s question about what to throw a giant moogle into.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought it all. Dual wield for 12k event currency is a steal and even if you have both Zidanes' TMRs farmed already it's still worth having the extra dual wield.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yea to all new players, it doesn't matter how many Zidanes you have or how many Dual Wields you have. 12k currency for Dual Wield is a steal, buy it buy it. I have 2 genji gloves, 4 dual wields, 2 bowie knives, and I'm still buying it.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Armitage posted:

That Dyer video was pretty ridiculous. I think out of all those blues he got, maybe 15% of them were Wakka.

I mean, Wakka's on the banner, so that seems reasonable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Gacha games, man.

Spent my whole ticket & lapis load trying to get CG Fina, nope. All celebratory tickets were bunk. But I do a few 1/2 dailies and get Yuna. I have the gear for her to do well (omg best in slot Soul of Thamasa, at last), but Eiko just got here and I finally made teams that can beat the hard stuff without reraise...

Well. I'm gonna use her. Enjoy your drat CG Finas and Ayakas. I got 2nd rate hybrids for days!!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 8, 2018

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Skyridge posted:

I mean, Wakka's on the banner, so that seems reasonable.

Yeah but I’d think that would be kind of low for an on banner unit, no?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Agreed posted:

Gacha games, man.

Spent my whole ticket & lapis load trying to get CG Fina, nope. All celebratory tickets were bunk. But I do a few 1/2 dailies and get Yuna. I have the gear for her to do well (omg best in slot Soul of Thamasa, at last), but Eiko just got here and I finally made teams that can beat the hard stuff without reraise...

Well. I'm gonna use her. Enjoy your drat CG Finas and Ayakas. I got 2nd rate hybrids for days!!

...run Eiko, Garnet, and Yuna together, with a tank and a chainer and a friend chainer, and watch poo poo melt as you pelt them with summons thrown into chains. That's 3 fantastic healer/summoners, so at any given time, one can be healing/buffing while the other two generate summon orbs or throw out hideously powerful summon effects.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Armitage posted:

Yeah but I’d think that would be kind of low for an on banner unit, no?

No, 3 stars are much lower than the 33% rainbow rate, because otherwise you'd do an 11 pull and get mostly the 3 star on banners, which they don't want. Too easy to hit the 21 club.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yuna's summon damage abilities, from the friend units I've occasionally been using in this grind, do a lot more summon damage than I had been expecting them to do.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

On her own as a unit she is really cool with definite situational MVP potential. Thinking of fights where her resists apply especially, but I've had fun with Eiko tossing big numbers summon damage into chains - I am certain I will like her offensive role when I've used her a bit.

Really should have saved some moogles, need 50% more if I want her TMR quicker. And I do, that is a cool staff

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Now I have Veritas of the earth from a free daily pull and I don’t even care if he doesn’t fit in my party because now dark veritas has a bro

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Veritas of the Earth is a solid tank.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

Now I have Veritas of the earth from a free daily pull and I don’t even care if he doesn’t fit in my party because now dark veritas has a bro

Earth Veritas is pretty much equal tankwise to an upgraded Warrior of Light, Dark Veritas' damage mitigation move instead of Raise. You can make a strong argument that damage mitigation is better than rezzing, especially with a good healer.

When/if he gets enhancements he will be better than WoL.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Alright, in practice Yuna kind of owns.

I have been testing her against Eiko, with Yuna geared for higher Spr than Mag but decent both, and Eiko geared for +10% evo magic materia in each slot (then the highest mag and Spr, emphasis spr, I could get on her too). However Yuna is getting my best gear where the two compete, and it shows big time in weapons in particular. Eiko is getting by with Apollo Harp as a not half bad stat stick to get her Mag and Spr higher to give that little bit extra to evocation of magic damage espers, while Yuna gets the Holy Wand and Staff of Osiris.

I ditched Soul of Thamasa for now reasoning that Dual White Magic is good enough for her healer role to be fine for now, and I'd rather have the slot for genji glove since there are a ton of great materia for Mag+Spr at once. In the end before party buffs their stats were Eiko at 323 Mag, 506 Spr (again using all +10% Evo Mag materia). Yuna at 609 Mag, 822 Spr. (with no +10% evo mag, just relying on her innate multipliers).

Final result, with no debuffs on the Training Dummy but with 100% party buffs from Ramza, Yuna hits for 1.6 Million ST with Energy Blast, for 1/2 the Esper Gauge. Eiko summons Bahamut for a smidgen over 2 Million AOE, for the full esper gauge. I tried them both capping chains and it was a significant damage difference, of course even moreso if you actually require the AOE damage. For AOE Yuna might still want to use Bahamut, as damage w/ Bahamut for her with no +Evo Mag is still over 1 Million - which is higher than her Energy Ray evocation damage attack as geared. In practice though I am finding that most fights Yuna can pump these out turn after turn as long as she is free to do so.

In terms of how well they fill the healer role when not summoning, I think Eiko is really neat y'all and I make no bones about it. Heals for a ton while filling the esper gauge up a bunch, and I mean as-geared there - she's still doing close to 5k of heal per turn while filling that gauge. I guess we have several units with debuff protection but I like being able to wipe debuffs with her :shrug:

Yuna does her healer role ok. Curaga is getting close to not being enough if it's all you have (my Yuna is only doing about 2.8k per heal with hers), but most folks seem to have some kind of after-turn regen now so with curaga + that you're still looking at 5k+ per turn. Yuna is also geared for pretty good resists - 70% fire ice lit, 50% water wind earth, 70% light and 20% dark. It's cool having a unit with dual-cast, on demand reraise, but I will need to put the Soul of Thamasa back on her for fights where I expect to need to use her reraise plus other spells that aren't white magic. I look forward to seeing her versatility shine in upcoming content, hopefully :)

I agree with the earlier poster who said Eiko and Yuna might work well in the same party - Yuna can pump out pretty high damage each turn she isn't needed for reraise, elemental resists, etc., and then you have the option of using that sick rear end supercharged Bahamut from Eiko. I might do this now, it sounds fun. I really like the Aeon summon, too - apart from the solid damage, I love the FFX sprite zooming in.

I never did enhance a Garnet :ohdear: I think it's kind of funny that she ends up doing the highest esper damage after enhancements. It seems unusual for this game for a lower star unit like that to have such a big advantage. But I guess she can't do all the stuff they can either.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 8, 2018

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Agreed posted:

I never did enhance a Garnet :ohdear: I think it's kind of funny that she ends up doing the highest esper damage after enhancements. It seems unusual for this game for a lower star unit like that to have such a big advantage. But I guess she can't do all the stuff they can either.

Garnet is super solid right up until 7 star. Eiko gets the missing 10% that Garnet has when she gets enhancements, though, on top of her other good stuff getting better. The big thing that Garnet has is a good AOE cure that also has a 40% rainbow veil attached. That's goddamn strong.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, did the special crystals or whatever to awaken limited time characters come out in the Japanese version yet or are they planned for later? The translated Famitsu page can only tell me so much.

I'm asking for a friend. His name may be Randi.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jesus game, quit giving me Rikkus

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Quick question do abilities awakening stay after awakening to 7 stars?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

yes

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Normally I play this game with the volume muted but I occasionally forget to mute my ipad and catch the battle themes. The music for this event really highlights what an uneven game FFX was: totally awesome battle music, then completely forgettable boss music.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
There’s music?

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Say I know it's the middle of farm time with the FFX event and all, but would someone have a unit they can retool to take out Gilgamesh? Having that 30% Attack, Aoe Dispel and Bad rear end Katana is such a huge boost early in.

My friend Id is:527.384.487

Thanks

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
The only time I ever hear the music is via bluetooth connections, when it overlaps Spotify/Soundcloud/etc.

This is no biggie in headphones, but occasionally funny when it blasts out of my car speakers.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Wyrmthang posted:

Say I know it's the middle of farm time with the FFX event and all, but would someone have a unit they can retool to take out Gilgamesh? Having that 30% Attack, Aoe Dispel and Bad rear end Katana is such a huge boost early in.

My friend Id is:527.384.487

Thanks

Yea I'll set up a Gilgamesh proof Tidus in a few minutes. Sending invite from arisu

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!

arisu posted:

Yea I'll set up a Gilgamesh proof Tidus in a few minutes. Sending invite from arisu

Arisu,

Thank you very much, Gilgamesh almost in the bag!

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Yeah I can throw one up. We’re already friends.

Efb. Took forever to find my drat safety bit. And work.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Way beaten on the Gilgamesh killer. Oh well.

But, has the Japanese version released an any-7* crystal or whatever for the limited time collaboration units?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

People talking big about 7* Randi being one of the top DPS and he's a time limited unit, so I'm guessing that every once in a while some old banner will roll around where you could possibly get a pull on those time limited units they decide to bump to 7*.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!

Wyrmthang posted:

Arisu,

Thank you very much, Gilgamesh almost in the bag!

Almost being the right word, I decided hey let's speed things up, never mind the instructions given to auto win Gilgamesh. *Throws Bahamut esper at Gilgamesh who tosses some of that magic damage back to me blowing up Noctis* Oh well who needed that 40 nrg...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Ahaha. No worries, I've done boneheaded things before. I'll leave my Gilgatidus as friend unit til you're done, but you should be able to get it with a goon friend if you don't wanna wait the 3 hours to refresh.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I put mine back up in case you want to try again.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Thank you both for that. I had to do him twice due to a timing mess up and not getting the "Kill him with a Limit Burst" mission. Need my 10% TMR plz!

Again, much appreciated in the middle of the farming session. Greatly appreciate you and the rest of the SA community for helping out. You all really do give a poo poo, which is really refreshing.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

arisu posted:

People talking big about 7* Randi being one of the top DPS and he's a time limited unit, so I'm guessing that every once in a while some old banner will roll around where you could possibly get a pull on those time limited units they decide to bump to 7*.
Most of Global's time limiteds are holiday themed so that "once in a while" will be a year. I hope people call gumi on thier bullshit if they dont put them on unit of choice tickets, becuase while i understand not being able to pull collab characters with one, there will be no good reason I shouldn't be able to get a gumi OC character like Christine from one outside of lovely greed.(and if that becomes the case, I'll just hoard until the banner and never spend just to spite them. )

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Seriously, I remember thirdhand info about the limited units using some kind of neutral 5*-base awakening material. The translated Famitsu page implies something like this, but also has a bunch of pictures which can't be translated.

If we get an Upgrade of Choice like a Unit of Choice that would be neat but... I can't figure out what Japan is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tengames posted:

Most of Global's time limiteds are holiday themed so that "once in a while" will be a year. I hope people call gumi on thier bullshit if they dont put them on unit of choice tickets, becuase while i understand not being able to pull collab characters with one, there will be no good reason I shouldn't be able to get a gumi OC character like Christine from one outside of lovely greed.(and if that becomes the case, I'll just hoard until the banner and never spend just to spite them. )

Yeah, it makes sense in japan because the vast majority of limited units are collabs that alim cant just bring back without authorization, even if they are SE properties. But the vast majority of OUR limited units are seasonal and are entirely FFBE original characters. My first UoC ticket that I would spend on a damage dealer would be Christine if she ends up having a similar attack to 7* T.Terra, hell I'd probably use it even if she just gets the ability to quad cast her chaos wave like T.Terra

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Seriously, I remember thirdhand info about the limited units using some kind of neutral 5*-base awakening material. The translated Famitsu page implies something like this, but also has a bunch of pictures which can't be translated.

If we get an Upgrade of Choice like a Unit of Choice that would be neat but... I can't figure out what Japan is doing.

That was a plan yes. We started seeing it with the blank moogle being introduced but I'm assuming that they cant introduced an upgrade to a character without permission either. Either way the blank moogle was a really good idea locked behind the most tedious and exploitative wall imaginable.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 10, 2018

• Locked thread