Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Taffer posted:

Which came first, that or the John Oliver spot? I think the latter is what brought it to the attention of most people, myself included. If deadspin brought it to the attention of LWT, props to them.

Oliver was months back. He has an audience and can make stuff go viral but I don't think that broke into the mainstream. It made people who were engaged in politics already more aware of Sinclair but that didn't break through into the people actually watching local news.

The Deadspin montage was a visual "what the hell?" that really took off, though. It was a "show" compared to Oliver's "tell."

Really, the credit goes to Sinclair for being so hamhanded and overt about their evil scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWo74L8EiY

taxes:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ikari Worrier posted:

Lol how do you gain "experience" as a libertarian? "I've watched every South Park episode, read all of Ayn Rand's works, and can recite the 'Who Is John Galt?' speech by heart"

Civil libertarian doesn't have anything to do with economics. It's about human rights.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Charlz Guybon posted:

Civil libertarian doesn't have anything to do with economics. It's about human rights.

Libertarian and Human Rights do not belong in the same sentence. Libertarianism, at least US Libertarianism, is GOP lite with pot, complete with the closet racism and dog whistles.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

(yes it says whitehose shut up)

https://www.facebook.com/MayorPeteForPresident/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

Libertarian and Human Rights do not belong in the same sentence. Libertarianism, at least US Libertarianism, is GOP lite with pot, complete with the closet racism and dog whistles.

US Libertarian is GOP but also wants to bring back a form of slavery involving technology and the ability to sell drugs without going through an opiod loophole. The right's co-oped the pedophilia angle that was solely dominated by them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

I beg your pardon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ftiL4c_CA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, you think Bill Maher is worried he may lose advertisers?

I think there's a flaw here you're overlooking.

They didn't let them. The crazies pulled a coup on the sensible people after the sensible people tried to lock the screaming monkeys in a cage. You can actually pinpoint the exact moment in time the NRA went from sensible and measured to pantshitting cowardice and psychotic bloodlust - may 21 and 22, 1977. The Revolt in Cincinnatti. I'd have called it the Ratty-Tat-Tatty in Cincinnati, but that's just me.

Wrong on all three. It was under Carter. Because of course that poo poo happened under him with no form of opposition.

thanks for correcting me. that honestly explains why they are afraid that liberals will someday join and outvote them. Projection is a bitch.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

People who defend civil liberties are by definition, civil libertarians. The ACLU, the NAACP, etc. they are all civil libertarian organizations.

Just because there are a bunch of racist wignuts on the right who call themselves libertarians in the economic sense doesn't change the meaning of the words.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

People who defend civil liberties are by definition, civil libertarians. The ACLU, the NAACP, etc. they are all civil libertarian organizations.

Just because there are a bunch of racist wignuts on the right who call themselves libertarians in the economic sense doesn't change the meaning of the words.

Common usage of language says different.

The word libertarian is, in America at least, most commonly associated with the party that bears its name, stupid Ron Paul 2012 crap and just general right wing kookery. That isn't where the word started, but the way language is used defines its meaning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yes, these are two different meanings of the same word. My mistake.

Caros posted:

Common usage of language says different.

The word libertarian is, in America at least, most commonly associated with the party that bears its name, stupid Ron Paul 2012 crap and just general right wing kookery. That isn't where the word started, but the way language is used defines its meaning.

Yup, hence my confusion.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

THE LEFT’S BIG SELLOUT: HOW THE ACLU & HUMAN RIGHTS GROUPS QUIETLY EXTERMINATED LABOR RIGHTS

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:stare: What the hell is that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Young Freud posted:

Christine O'Donnell from Delaware. She ran against Joe Biden in the 2008 Senate campaign, then again in 2010 after Biden had vacated the seat to become vice president. That's when the "I am not a witch" commercial came about : apparently she was on Bill Maher's show when she mentioned that she had dabbled in witchcraft and had friends in high school that had midnight picnics on satanic altars.

She lost the 2010 general election, is super in debt and works mostly as a columnist for the Moonie Times.

The funny thing is "I dabbled in witchcraft" is a bullshit story like every youth pastor in the nineties made up to try to scare kids straight

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: What the hell is that.

quote:

I found an article from 1971 written by William Buckley in which the National Review founder praises Neier for working with him to turn the ACLU against labor: “I invited the ACLU to practice consistency by associating itself with a lawsuit which would prove unpopular among its labor union supporters,” Buckley wrote. “The executive director, Aryeh Neier, has replied, rather straightforwardly, I think. He says, ‘for many years, it has been the ACLU’s policy that the union shop does not, by itself, violate civil liberties. I have felt for some time that we should review this policy and I will use your request to initiate reconsideration,’ going on to say that it will take a while to canvass the directors.”

As it turns out, the same right wingers who fund the ACLU also hate unions and economic justice, who knew?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Young Freud posted:

I've seen them, from time to time, when some anti-abortion group bought ad time and the broadcaster would put a commentary wrapper for "graphic images" since they almost always would show dismembered fetuses, but that was about it.

I had a boss in the past that was "pro life" and had anti abortion stickers on his car and lap top. We had some other anti abortion crank come in and started dumping pamphlets around the restaurant, which he let them do. A few of us pointed out how disgusting it was seeing pictures of blood and gore while people were trying to enjoy themselves and he just brushed everyone off with "People should see the horror people are committing".
I guess they think sickening people is a win when all it does is say "these people are insensitive assholes"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hungary just reelected its authoritarian leader for a third term.

Not only that, he gained supermajority, so now he can rewrite the constitution as he sees fit.

RIP European Union lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The funny thing is "I dabbled in witchcraft" is a bullshit story like every youth pastor in the nineties made up to try to scare kids straight

Token #3/Dr. Token reminder.

He used to be the thuggest stabbing thug before he found Jeeazus.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

Token #3/Dr. Token reminder.

He used to be the thuggest stabbing thug before he found Jeeazus.

He claimed he once tried to kill his mother, right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A lot of them will overinflate something dumb they were into like freshman year of college, so smoking a joint once and not knowing how to inhale turns into "Yeah I used to mess around with drugs hardcore. Trust me, stay away."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

He claimed he once tried to kill his mother, right?

No he tried to stab a classmate and the classmate's beltbuckle saved him or something.

e:
Also some fundie pastor said he married a whore whose womb had fallen out from The Unamarried Sex, but she also found Jeazus and got her womb back.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I dabbled in witchcraft once. Used a ouija board back in the 90's. Barely escaped with my life and soul intact.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

PhazonLink posted:

No he tried to stab a classmate and the classmate's beltbuckle saved him or something.
There was definitely a story about him attacking his mother with a hammer at some point too.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It definitely depends what you mean by "witchcraft". I have plenty of Wiccan or otherwise Neopagan friends (apparently there's over a million in US), and I imagine if any of them turned into a conservative nutjob they'd probably describe themselves as having "dabbled in witchcraft".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A lot of them will overinflate something dumb they were into like freshman year of college, so smoking a joint once and not knowing how to inhale turns into "Yeah I used to mess around with drugs hardcore. Trust me, stay away."
Its too bad her other brush with mass media [MTV, Sex in the 90s] didnt get the same airplay to necessitate a response:

"Im Christine O'Donnell, and I totally love masturbating"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PhazonLink posted:

e:
Also some fundie pastor said he married a whore whose womb had fallen out from The Unamarried Sex, but she also found Jeazus and got her womb back.

He also claims he tried to kill his mom with a hammer too. And beat a cousin with a padlock. Ben Carson alleges to have been one hell of a psychopath before he found Jesus and suddenly was ok despite seeking no help or doing anything. Just accept Jesus and you're cured. That's the secret. And pay your tithe.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Its too bad her other brush with mass media [MTV, Sex in the 90s] didnt get the same airplay to necessitate a response:

"Im Christine O'Donnell, and I totally love masturbating"

Holy poo poo, this is good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHcqcXo_NA

quote:

You're gonna be pleasing each other, and if he already knows what pleases him and he can please himself then why am I in the picture?

All set to "One of Us"...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 9, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stickman posted:

It definitely depends what you mean by "witchcraft". I have plenty of Wiccan or otherwise Neopagan friends (apparently there's over a million in US), and I imagine if any of them turned into a conservative nutjob they'd probably describe themselves as having "dabbled in witchcraft".

Yeah, I always assumed it was this. O'Donnell is the right age to have been a teen when "wiccan" was really "cool" and one of the mainstream "counter culture" things. Combine that with some Evangelical "its satanic witchcraft!" thinking and you have "I dabbled in witchcraft."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Then why aren't they bringing them back? Oh because the right loves to rule over other people and watch them suffer? WOOPSIE.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

New Republican strategy: SAVE TRUMP DON'T LET HIM GET IMPEACHED

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/08/us/politics/trump-impeachment-midterms.html

Isn't this like the equivalent of Trump rolling on the ground and saying ' Don't let them net me?'

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Hungary just reelected its authoritarian leader for a third term.

Not only that, he gained supermajority, so now he can rewrite the constitution as he sees fit.

RIP European Union lol

Honestly there's a few countries that should get kicked out of the EU considering the way they are going. Hungary obviously, and probably Poland too. They shouldn't get to enjoy the economic benefits of the Union while at the same time sliding into authoritarianism and buddying up with Putin.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

That’s uncanny. Man definitely has a frog in his throat. :jiggled:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://www.facebook.com/siouxz.dezbah.14/posts/186900825434677

quote:

Yay! Facebook gave me my account back and let me keep Siouxz Dezbah as my name!! Whoot whoot!!

A Standing Rock activist who lost access to her account until she 'proves' her identity.

Years ago, Facebook and Google had a bit of a 'war' over "Persistent Identity." SSN# is an example of PI. Google wanted to be, but the free e-mail model ensured there were too many active sockpuppet and anonymous accounts on the platform. Facebook had mostly Real Humans, at that point. And had successfully pushed back against the 'NEVER TELL ANYBODY ONLINE WHO YOU ARE OR WHERE YOU LIVE' nonsense of the early days online. At one point, Facebook gave 'free e-mail' to all their users, as a slap in Google's face, in the midst of this specific fight.

So FB wanted to make people use their 'real names', because a database that rivals the SSN office's is kinda cool, and surely worth a few billion dollars. And they started to get wind about sockpuppet accounts, armies of them... so when the robocop would ban an account from crowdsourced reporting, it would make them prove their identity by showing an ID. I did it at one point. Photographed my ID, uploaded it to them, waited for approval. There's a similar process to open a simple bank account online.

This moderation policy hit the Trans community /really/ hard, and became weaponized. The sockpuppet armies began to deliberately report every trans person to the robocop moderation, forcing them to be 'outed' and to have to show their ID. This really upset the Trans community, and made FB look like absolute /jerks/.

But it's gunna get turned up here again, as FB tries to root out the Internet Research Agency's sockpuppet army (which is by no means the only sockpuppet army active on facebook, but it's one of the largest with the greatest reach). And apparently they're not trying to make you use your 'birth name.'

They just wanna know you're a Real Human.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

That's one way to look at it yeah. I really don't feel like getting into it because it's a silly discussion topic that'll lead to a massive derail.

True, but sorry I don't plan on reading through 100 pages of back log to find out specifically everything that went down in here over the course of the week. It's not THAT important to me in the long run really. I'm a little more interested in what happens next as opposed to what happened while I was busy and probably already exhausted it's discussion potential before the weekend by the sounds of it. If it seemed critically important to know then yeah though.

Okay there were some comically stupid derails, you're right there.
e- And that's coming from me.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 9, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Binary Badger posted:

New Republican strategy: SAVE TRUMP DON'T LET HIM GET IMPEACHED

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/08/us/politics/trump-impeachment-midterms.html

Isn't this like the equivalent of Trump rolling on the ground and saying ' Don't let them net me?'

Its his attempt to just make it all about him, hoping that the blind cult of personality he has pushed into his followers heads will make them ignore every failure he has had.

Also, where the gently caress IS that Ted Cruz ad? People keep describing it, but I can'd the actual clip anywhere no matter what I search for

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 9, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Why hasn't Hungary left the EU themselves?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lycus posted:

Why hasn't Hungary left the EU themselves?

They're not as stupid as Britain.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

Honestly there's a few countries that should get kicked out of the EU considering the way they are going. Hungary obviously, and probably Poland too. They shouldn't get to enjoy the economic benefits of the Union while at the same time sliding into authoritarianism and buddying up with Putin.

This is a pretty bad precedent to set. Vote for milquetoast EU neoliberalism or face the consequences can just as easily be applied to a left regime somewhere in Europe

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How did fascism become so popular in Hungary during the last decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

How did fascism become so popular in Hungary during the last decade?

migrants

• Locked thread