Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Goldmark seems to be venting about the 10th anniversary movie on Twitter right now:

https://twitter.com/Motyka5dude/status/983080933749387264

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/983084397837434880

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I might have said this before but Doug controlling the scripts to a majority(?) of crossovers makes all the sense in hindsight. I didn't like crossovers because it was another reviewer awkwardly trying to pull off NC's comedic stylings (you know, being a loud rear end in a top hat) and it was always bad. It's like what some people have been saying, Doug just wanted everyone else to be Doug Jr.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alacron posted:

Goldmark seems to be venting about the 10th anniversary movie on Twitter right now:

lol

It was going to be called poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alacron posted:

lol

Only one half of those is true, so I think its the evil clown. I mean, it will have Doug in it after all.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

Updating a story previously posted about - a couple weeks ago Matt Conn left his positions at GaymerX and Midboss (makers of 2064: Read Only Memories) following accusations of sexual harassment. Now his replacement, Toni Rocca, has ended up lasting all of a couple of weeks before leaving both companies after allegations of sexual harassment being made against her. Both companies have new CEOs now and have officially cut ties with each other.

This whole story makes me angry, what with the way that GaymerX was always represented. It took money from the community and used it to present a space for LGBTQ folk in gaming, and all the while this poo poo's going on behind closed doors. Kind of upsetting. TBH I really don't see how they can survive this - the whole aim of the project (in public anyway) was to present a "safe space" for people, and clearly it has failed miserably in a blaze of allegations of terrible behaviour, threats to ruin careers if sexual advances are turned down and other such awfulness. The culture of Midboss too, was one of mismanagement and misorganisation...kind of familiar.

It seems like there's another wave of people who act virtuous all the time in public suddenly getting badly exposed for who they actually are. Between this and Brandon Boyer and obviously the CA stuff...hoo boy.

God drat it! That sucks. Me and my girlfriend wen't to the last GaymerX in New York and we had a lot of fun. :sigh:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I get the feeling that despite the unfortunate truths about Matt Conn, GaymerX is still better than most gaming conventions

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A while back, like maybe a year or two, there was a video posted about Blair Witch 2: book of shadows. It went into detail about the behind the scenes stuff and was a pretty interesting, thoughtful look at the movie as opposed to "oh my god it's so bad!!" style review. Does anyone remember this video? I wanted to watch it again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Paladin posted:

A lot of it was just how big of a deal the SNL cast was at the time, plus a lot of things in the movie were pretty innovative or unique at the time but are now just so woven into the fabric of comedy that they wouldn't really stand out. When there aren't a lot of choices, every little bit of originality counts.

I know this all super subjective but I actually like some of the other contemporary comedies from SNL alumni, especially National Lampoon's Vacation and I like Bill Murray in things like Groundhog Day. I just expected Ghostbusters to be... funnier and more charming I guess.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Only one half of those is true, so I think its the evil clown. I mean, it will have Doug in it after all.

Alright, I'm keepin this one tucked away for later. :discourse:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DoubleCakes posted:

I get the feeling that despite the unfortunate truths about Matt Conn, GaymerX is still better than most gaming conventions

It was honestly. I hear horror stories about places like PAX or even just general gaming conventions that make me dread going to a gaming convention. Because "Gamers!" Are terrible people.

GaymerX is one of those times I felt totally safe and comfortable despite my goofy looking Taako cosplay.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Yardbomb posted:

Alright, I'm keepin this one tucked away for later. :discourse:

BOFFO!!!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

business hammocks posted:

The only way I can countenance more of the CA story today without being overcome by extreme sadness and anger is to grab at this extremely parenthetical element: a Cheesecake Factory has recently opened in my city and I want to know if I should go, even if I have to go alone?

You should go. And since it's a Cheesecake Factory, there's a very small, but non-zero chance that Lindsay Ellis will appear there spontaneously, like a super-rare legendary Pokemon.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

FoldableHuman posted:

{good stuffs}

Thanks, good stuffs!

BTW: congrats on getting to do Amy in front a crowd who will spend the entire run going "wait what the gently caress did that game just do-- what?"

FoldableHuman posted:

Then there's the embedded brand deals which, lmao, they've signed the top-shelf trash that gets leading sponsorship mention, mid-roll, and top placement in the description.

Yeah, I've seen a few of those "description ads" just by accident over past couple weeks. Every single one of them seems like the sort of slimy sales pitch you get from the Facebook friend you've never heard from in 10 years, but suddenly has "an amazing product that changed my life and you can join me and work from home and be your own boss and please buy this merch sitting in my garage..."

I recall you mentioning on a stream at one point how much of a raw deal those ad spots are, since you're collecting a flat fee to give a company an ad placement for forever. Since you can't replace a YouTube video, it's impossible to say "I'll sell you 5000 views for your ad". It's there and will always be there.

Though now I lol because 99.999% of those VC-funded "sell things at a loss until we make money" tend to go bankrupt. So the CA archive will be littered with the corpses of dead companies. "Hi, Doug here. I don't always spray liquids up my butt, when I do, I want them to be as carbonated as possible. Go to EnemaBidetSoda.Com and use the code NCBUTT to get 10% off your first order!"

6 months down the road EnemaBidetSoda.com goes out of business, the domain lapses, but there is still a link to it on a video that gets 700k+ views.

hmm, I think I've just discovered a new business model. Buy up that domain in a fire sale, wait for the accidental traffic to come, ???, then profit!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Channel Awesome may be pulling in money, but their studio is in a high-demand area and their rent is probably climbing. And despite Michaud being the one true owner of the company and all the associated IP, he’s not paying himself enough to buy a house.

Allison’s most recent video on the topic came across as both sincere and mature. It’s been a treat watching her improve her presentation skills over the years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why is Doug still here? Just to suffer?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

corn in the bible posted:

He’ll be there until he learns why people watch movies. Then he’ll forget it, in some sort of bizarre Sisyphean YouTube reviewer hell

e: goddamn memes I'm not aware of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

Moatman fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 9, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

corn in the bible posted:

The producers I’ve lost… the views I’ve lost… won’t stop hurting… It’s like they’re all still there. You feel it, too, don’t you?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

echopapa posted:

Channel Awesome may be pulling in money, but their studio is in a high-demand area and their rent is probably climbing. And despite Michaud being the one true owner of the company and all the associated IP, he’s not paying himself enough to buy a house.

Allison’s most recent video on the topic came across as both sincere and mature. It’s been a treat watching her improve her presentation skills over the years.

Yeah, I know we are all probably subscribed to her here, but since she reads the thread sometimes I’ll throw in a strong compliment for that video. It’s pitched just right and delivered very thoughtfully. I don’t know what it felt like to make (probably not great), but I hope it creates some closure and that it can ultimately be an affirmative experience.

I’m a little of two minds on the channel awesome stuff, because on the one hand I want to bear witness to testimony and acknowledge the reality of what’s happened, but if the people affected want to put it behind them (and they do, obviously) I feel like there’s a point where it gets to be unseemly for us to keep tallying up ca losses and reporting back on who’s saying what.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

The producers I’ve lost… the views I’ve lost… won’t stop hurting… It’s like they’re all still there. You feel it, too, don’t you?

They have become content creators who "do not exist"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I came in here to see how the CA implosion was doing, and then learn that Horror Guru and Count Jackula are brutally insane pieces of poo poo as well? Ugh. Well, best to know now. Consider them unsubscribed.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

business hammocks posted:

Yeah, I know we are all probably subscribed to her here, but since she reads the thread sometimes I’ll throw in a strong compliment for that video. It’s pitched just right and delivered very thoughtfully. I don’t know what it felt like to make (probably not great), but I hope it creates some closure and that it can ultimately be an affirmative experience.

I’m a little of two minds on the channel awesome stuff, because on the one hand I want to bear witness to testimony and acknowledge the reality of what’s happened, but if the people affected want to put it behind them (and they do, obviously) I feel like there’s a point where it gets to be unseemly for us to keep tallying up ca losses and reporting back on who’s saying what.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad the video is out and answering some questions for folks.

As for putting it all behind us, yes and no. I wanted people to talk about this and know, because part of what made me so sad before was the fact people immediately put it behind them. I don't want to be tied to Channel Awesome, but I am happy people are hearing us now.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Miss Wallace posted:

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad the video is out and answering some questions for folks.

As for putting it all behind us, yes and no. I wanted people to talk about this and know, because part of what made me so sad before was the fact people immediately put it behind them. I don't want to be tied to Channel Awesome, but I am happy people are hearing us now.

FWIW after seeing those skype logs when you were booted from CA was when I lost respect for CA the company. I also think it was a good thing the document was created. I volunteer on a site that documents labour exploitation among other things and a lot of whats in the doc seems very familiar in the gig economy. When its "finalised" I was thinking of adding it to the archive as we don't have much for online work.

Also Shuan Fausz has a video talking about his time at CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqgB8sbAIpU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Miss Wallace posted:

I liked the emphasis on protecting starting content creators from being taken into these horrible places. I'm glad that you more established producers are making it safer for them. :unsmith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miss Wallace posted:

For what it’s worth, that stuff with Michaud criticizing you by leaving up negative comments and expecting you to figure out why is 100% a classic abuse tactic, as is coming at you about it at a weird time when you’re alone and not expecting it. There’s no real way to prepare or protect yourself with poo poo like that because it’s so carefully calibrated to throw you off balance.

I’m sorry you had to endure it. Also for what it’s worth, it’s been such a pleasure watching you branch out and sharpen your unique voice over the past few years. Being public about what’s gone on will definitely help out some people watching this unfold.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lornekates posted:

You should go. And since it's a Cheesecake Factory, there's a very small, but non-zero chance that Lindsay Ellis will appear there spontaneously, like a super-rare legendary Pokemon.

True story: I noticed it because I recently interviewed for a job in Baltimore (I do not live in Baltimore) and saw a Cheesecake Factory while I was there and thought to myself for a minute “hey, if I get this job and move here, maybe if I go eat there I’ll meet Contrapoints” before I realized how insane that weird, specific fantasy was and that I was just being anxious about moving to a new city where I don’t know anyone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DoubleCakes posted:

I might have said this before but Doug controlling the scripts to a majority(?) of crossovers makes all the sense in hindsight. I didn't like crossovers because it was another reviewer awkwardly trying to pull off NC's comedic stylings (you know, being a loud rear end in a top hat) and it was always bad. It's like what some people have been saying, Doug just wanted everyone else to be Doug Jr.

His Speed Racer crossover review had him hate the movie and the "defense" being super weak and meaningless. It's cringe-inducing.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A while back, like maybe a year or two, there was a video posted about Blair Witch 2: book of shadows. It went into detail about the behind the scenes stuff and was a pretty interesting, thoughtful look at the movie as opposed to "oh my god it's so bad!!" style review. Does anyone remember this video? I wanted to watch it again.

Was it perhaps this video by Good Bad Flicks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkmHSzUIHQ

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

His Speed Racer crossover review had him hate the movie and the "defense" being super weak and meaningless. It's cringe-inducing.

That also explains why the Man of Steel crossover with Joe has Joe's defense of the film be "I like this movie because Superman is in it, and Superman is good and cool, so that means Man of Steel is also good and cool." Because I'd wager the only three things Doug actually knows about Joe are 1) he plays video games, 2) he really likes Superman, and 3) his name is Joe. ...Also he might be angry a lot. Better get Rob to check on that one.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The most important thing for me, even as someone with only the most tangenital connection to Channel Awesome, in heightening awareness of their bullshit is to make sure that it's never repeated with another set of young reviewers. That's certainly why I chose to make a video about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His star trek crossover with linkara was so bad because Insurrection's development is legitimately fascinating as is its position in the series but Doug just tells Lewis to gently caress off with the nerd poo poo so he can yell some more.

Reminder that Doug's favourite next generation movie is Nemesis.

Nemesis.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

His star trek crossover with linkara was so bad because Insurrection's development is legitimately fascinating as is its position in the series but Doug just tells Lewis to gently caress off with the nerd poo poo so he can yell some more.

Nemesis.

why do people like movies

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nemesis.

And having read Fade In by Michael Piller the year prior, that was the point where I shut the video off and tabbed over to SFDebris instead.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Seriously, why did crossovers become a Thing in the TGWTG review community? Like, specifically the idea of "you'll be a guest on my show, but your contribution is limited to saying the lines I give you and also there is some kind of skit plotline." I never thought about it much, but that poo poo's weird.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Probably originally intended to give other producers some cross promotion but Doug had to be Doug about it...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Seriously, why did crossovers become a Thing in the TGWTG review community? Like, specifically the idea of "you'll be a guest on my show, but your contribution is limited to saying the lines I give you and also there is some kind of skit plotline." I never thought about it much, but that poo poo's weird.
Nostalgia Critic is huge, and I'd say back in the TGWTG heyday a majority, if not plurality, of viewers were there just for Doug's shtick. A crossover was basically the best way to develop an audience on CA since it was the only way you were going to get a good chunk of the audience to check out other producers.

This is why To Boldly Flee kicked up such a huge stink internally at CA, as Doug killing off the character meant a lot of views were going to be lost for producers, and it was never discussed with other producers before he committed to the idea. I do wonder how much producer complaints factored into the decision to bring NC back.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Puppy Time posted:

Because their website design was pretty bad and if you weren't Doug Walker or Noah Antweiler then your videos were hidden behind, like, three separate clicks. So some people were essentially invisible except for when they showed up in a video and then suddenly people actually knew who they were. It's good business for the site if people watch everyone's videos instead of just one person's, so crossovers are a way to do promotion without having to detract from the big egos on the front page.

Plus people like having fun and working with eachother so they did them at cons a lot

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

I do wonder how much producer complaints factored into the decision to bring NC back.

Given how clueless he seems, I'd wager somewhere between "Hardly" and "Not at all"

I'm pretty sure that the fact that Demo Reel was bombing and tanking their revenue was the main/only factor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The idea if a crossover isn't bad in the slightest. It comes down to execution. Compare a Doug written crossover to any of Brad, Phelan and Allison's crossovers. There's a sense of genuineness about them because they're just being themselves rather than contorting into a foil for Doug's nonsense. Phelan's Ali Baba video with Harry Partridge is wonderful because of how much they rip into the nonsense of crossover scripts.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

YT recommendations show'd me this interview by Mike Michaud in like 2009?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9CYgw8bFw

Its edited from this https://vimeo.com/4629100

Mike only appears slightly more coherent in that.

EDIT: I love the part about 6 minutes in where all three other dudes around the table just awkwardly stare at Mike while he talks a mile a minute about how youtube's going to crash and burn (at least I think that's what he's saying)

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

No like I understand the reason you'd do guesting stuff for cross-promotion, I'm more confused why it took the really idiotically specific form that it did.

Though I suspect the answer probably boils down to "Doug has stupid ideas and is a goddam control freak."

• Locked thread