Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Poniard posted:

i went to kennedy space center and got super depressed because a bunch of stuff isn't well maintained and it's a lot of 'hey remember when americans used to be super fuckin hyped about space poo poo???' and then they show you the spacex stuff

oh they updated it to have spacex stuff now? lol gently caress

last time I did the KSC bus tour (in loving 2012 i think?) they were still showing the return to flight video that they made after Columbia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

fire codes are too alarmist

e: i say that half jokingly. the site modifications our fire marshal tries to impose in the name of PUBLIC SAFETY!!!!!!!!! get downright ridiculous sometimes.

there was a great thread a while ago started by a fire inspector where he talked about fire safety and how people don't realize just how loving on fire your house can be in seconds if you do stuff that seems completely innocuous, so at least some of the ridiculous rules are there because of that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ate all the Oreos posted:

there was a great thread a while ago started by a fire inspector where he talked about fire safety and how people don't realize just how loving on fire your house can be in seconds if you do stuff that seems completely innocuous, so at least some of the ridiculous rules are there because of that

link please

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ate all the Oreos posted:

for sure. fire safety is a huge deal. i’m talking about crazy poo poo like “every vehicle circulation aisle in this big-box retail store’s parking lot needs to be at least 24 feet wide in case we need to deploy our ladder truck!”

i have to explain why regulations are important to people all the time, but stuff like the above example is just too much. doubly so when demands are inconsistently (arbitrarily and capriciously at worst) applied.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this was years ago and it's in the archives of like, the DIY & Hobbies forum I think? and i might have mixed part of it up with the DIY home improvement thread which the same guy posted in? i don't really remember specifics all that well, sorry :shrug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
c/o osha thread

Budgie posted:

Was it this thread I saw this video in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvlUI6mw0A

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

c/o osha thread

"And by the way, I'm not recommending this."

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
honestly disappointed it didn't end with the guy suddenly having to take control

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

honestly disappointed it didn't end with the guy suddenly having to take control

just as he’s about to rear end a truck hauling oranges

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
imo even if elon musk is a dork his skill at swindling venture capitalists out of their money for long periods of time is unparalleled and is possibly the only actually important thing he has to give to the world

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

imo even if elon musk is a dork his skill at swindling venture capitalists out of their money for long periods of time is unparalleled and is possibly the only actually important thing he has to give to the world

elon musk has been swindling retail investors, not VCs

ordinary people are dumb as gently caress and if elon musk says it in a newspaper it must be true :smith:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

THEY LAUGHED AT THE WRIGHT BROTHERS TOO
    /
   /
  :byodood:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they also laughed at bozo the clown*

*actually, they probably didn't. i mean, really, who finds clowns funny?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The_Franz posted:

amusement parks don't necessarily have a monopoly on foreign slave labor either. i know of at least one ski resort in the catskills that lured foreign workers with the tagline of "come live and work in new york", playing on the general ignorance of foreigners to not realize that new york state != new york city.

also 'famous' Wall Drug but idk what the bait and switch there could possibly be

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

President Beep posted:

THEY LAUGHED AT THE WRIGHT BROTHERS TOO
    /
   /
  :byodood:

always liked the phrasing of "being persecuted for what you think are your 'scientific' views does not make you gaileo, you also have to be right"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I never understood Wall Drug

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lancemantis posted:

dead rear end ghost town executing a gimmick that only works once

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lancemantis posted:

the found a way to monetize the poo poo out of bumper stickers

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and those penny smashers

and wooden nickles

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

that's how every recommendation algorithm works. you looked at a thing once, now we will show you more thing, endlessly. no further analysis, just a bunch of bullshit.

because of that i've gotten into the habit of opening amazon links in a private window

I looked at a list of the weirdest poo poo on amazon once and accidentally clicked on a listing for two pounds of mealworms. For the next month, every Amazon ad showed me mealworms.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

uh turn your monitor on.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/Bulk-Live-Mealworms-count-Large/dp/B01MEEBLO1

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
are you sure you weren’t just considering joining the yosmas gift exchange?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/4784/dreamkazper-accused-of-inappropriate-sexual-interaction-with-an-underage-owl-fan

pro overwatch player solicited a 14 year old

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
who knew you could buy all these goddamn bugs on amazon.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
if you can see someone’s wish list on Amazon, doesn’t it also let you send them things that aren’t on their wish list?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

link pops a full page scam ad on mobile, click with caution

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

esports jerseys are the stupidest poo poo ever.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

esports are even less of a real sport than golf

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i wanna start a stupid esports team called the yospos yinzers.

i dont know how to play anything though so it’ll suck.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i don't play video games anymore because all the new ones are bad they are for children.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

akadajet posted:

i don't play video games anymore because all the new ones are bad they are for children.

same, op

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i was dubious about this esports poo poo, but I gotta admit it's definitely inflating the minor celebrity scandals bubble

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

President Beep posted:

i wanna start a stupid esports team called the yospos yinzers.

i dont know how to play anything though so it’ll suck.

surely "yospros"?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

President Beep posted:

lol. you’d love kalamazoo then. downtown is 100% bisected by railroad tracks and the freight trains sometimes sit there and block traffic for crazy amounts of time.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2017/12/pattern_of_trains_blocking_kal.html

lol east lansing had to build extremely expensive railway underpasses because the trains parking would often completely block access to the southern reaches of town for miles across and EMS would have to re-route an extra 20 minutes to get to a call

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the Yinzurrection

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

uh turn your monitor on.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

directly beneath “casuals”. how apropos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lol

beep's not bad

tori, gently caress off, how are you