Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

spincube posted:

I've had it about up to here with this game's traffic system. Miles upon miles of single-file tailbacks because the traffic can't find its way onto roundabouts and can't find its way off either - got to wait until someone spontaneously combusts so the whole stack of :downs: can shuffle along a few paces.
Honestly, the main problem with this is that you've got a small roundabout with large roads leading into it. I'm not sure why (I think it has to do with the time vehicles spend stopping and restarting) but anything that has a road larger than a two-lane entering it should really have a roundabout made of highway. It's the 'large roundabout' in the base menu.

You have enough room for that (although you'll have to futz about a bit with the bridge) so try that instead. It should solve your problems. I only use the small roundabouts with one-way roads for decoration in Deepest Suburbia where traffic volumes are minimal.

Bear in mind that truly high-capacity interchanges (like between major industrial roads and highways) will need even larger roundabouts to be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roundabouts hit a sort of critical mass where they gently caress up and don't work properly. They're great for low to middling traffic but heavy traffic makes them jam up. In real life this is generally when you'd put traffic lights on the roundabout to stagger the traffic.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

spincube posted:

I've had it about up to here with this game's traffic system. Miles upon miles of single-file tailbacks because the traffic can't find its way onto roundabouts and can't find its way off either - got to wait until someone spontaneously combusts so the whole stack of :downs: can shuffle along a few paces.

That's a 2-lane road for the roundabout itself, right? Try tweaking the permitted routes through the intersections, so the outer lane must always take the next turn out of the roundabout, and the inner lane can either continue to the inner lane or move to the outer lane. It should at the very least cause the inner lane to also be used, not wasting that capacity. And yes, make sure cars in the roundabout have priority (stop signs on the entry roads).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I, er, may have gone overboard with the Roundabout of Despair's replacement:

I love the smell of diesel fumes and hot tarmac in the morning. gently caress you I'll monorail where I want :unsmigghh:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Albino Squirrel posted:

Honestly, the main problem with this is that you've got a small roundabout with large roads leading into it. I'm not sure why (I think it has to do with the time vehicles spend stopping and restarting) but anything that has a road larger than a two-lane entering it should really have a roundabout made of highway. It's the 'large roundabout' in the base menu.

You have enough room for that (although you'll have to futz about a bit with the bridge) so try that instead. It should solve your problems. I only use the small roundabouts with one-way roads for decoration in Deepest Suburbia where traffic volumes are minimal.

Bear in mind that truly high-capacity interchanges (like between major industrial roads and highways) will need even larger roundabouts to be effective.

You can also just upgrade the roads on the small roundabout to be highway or highway on/off ramp roads, which have the same benefits as large roundabouts (no pedestrian crossings on the roundabout itself). I never make roundabouts out of normal roads, the crossings clog the whole thing up way too easily.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BigglesSWE posted:

If they do a sequel, then trams need to be in it day 1, not DLC 1.

Telling them how much you like trams will only encourage them to keep trams as DLC

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I'm getting back into this game after about a year and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for collections of growable high density residential buildings on the workshop that wouldn't look too out of place in a mid to late-ish 20th century American city. I can find lots of great low density growables, and lots of terrific European high density growables, but most of the nice American building collections I can find are ploppable RICO and I'd rather grow everything.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 8, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'm getting back into this game after about a year and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for collections of growable high density residential buildings on the workshop that wouldn't look too out of place in a mid to late-ish 20th century American city. I can find lots of great low density growables, and lots of terrific European high density growables, but most of the nice American building collections I can find are ploppable RICO and I'd rather grow everything.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=866047074

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Perfect, thank you! I remember running across the older Brooklyn collection last year and being disappointed it was low density. This will be great for the older part of town.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Perfect, thank you! I remember running across the older Brooklyn collection last year and being disappointed it was low density. This will be great for the older part of town.

It really made my day when I saw that he was converting them all to high density, before I had been going through and converting them all to high density myself in order to get them to work with RPC.

There's also Darf's stuff, but they're not all residential:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=651971495

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

He has some really good things and I'm definitely happy to have some non-residential stuff, too. Now I just need to find some postwar stuff and my vaguely 20th century American town with some history will be on its way.

While I'm asking, I'd love to find some atomic ranches for my LD residential.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Sorry if I missed this in the OP, but what's the official DLC priority list? I've paid basically no attention to this game since launch and, well, Paradox gotta Paradox.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Francis posted:

Sorry if I missed this in the OP, but what's the official DLC priority list? I've paid basically no attention to this game since launch and, well, Paradox gotta Paradox.

The priority order is very similar to the release order, except you want to stay away from the “Concerts” one (or whatever it is called) because it's wholly pointless.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Francis posted:

The DLC for Skylines is even less important than in paradox developed titles. Most all the good stuff is free with the patches and the DLC adds a weird grab-bag of often totally unrelated features packaged together. It's a bit like if a EU4 DLC contained an Austrian unit pack, a bunch of chinese events, and some central-american temples.

After Dark adds some 100% useless and often very ugly "entertainment" and "tourism" buildings which barely work and are really badly implemented. Entirely worth skipping, but the DLC also adds bike lanes so for a lot of people it's worth it to get afterdark just for the bike lanes.

Snowfall adds once again a horribly implemented winter map theme. No, its not a winter season that allows it to snow, it's an entire separate series of maps that are 100% always winter all the time because they could not figure out how to implement it otherwise. Unless you want a map where it's always winter forever this DLC is totally useless and skippable, but uh oh, it's also the only way to get trams. If you want trams you need to buy the whole DLC.

Natural Disasters is a very good DLC because they finally figured out to package like with like, the DLC only has a disasters system so if you don't want disasters you can very easily skip it and not miss out on some important other feature.

Mass Transit again is a correctly sorted DLC that just adds a bunch of new transit types. I've honestly not found any of them useful and the metro overhaul mod managed to feel like a higher budget professional expansion compared to the DLC.

Green Cities seemingly adds nothing of interest, just some nicely made new buildings that only grow in specialty "green" zones but mechanically are as useless as the tourism zones in After Dark. Very easy to skip, there's better buildings on the workshop for free anyways.

None of the other DLC are worth paying for unless they really really speak to you for some reason, but even then stuff like Concerts are half-assed in their implementation and don't matter within the mechanics of the game. The paid workshop content is pretty iffy too, the art deco pack is bad even for free workshop content. The European suburbia pack is actually really really good though and makes the vanilla low density residential buildings and lots look like poo poo in comparison.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Francis posted:

You can safely skip all of them. Mods and assets on the workshop have added waaaaay more and higher quality content than the DLCs have, it's not even close.

They break down roughly like this:
- After Dark: bike lanes, a few useful transportation buildings, a couple new types of commercial districts. Note that the day/night cycle is not a DLC feature, it was added in the accompanying free update.
- Snowfall: Snow maps and trams
- Natural Disasters: Disasters, a few buildings that relate to the disasters, and some quality of life stuff involving bulldozing
- Mass Transit: Monorails, ferries, blimps, and some transit hubs
- Green Cities: I think this is mainly new assets for high-tech/eco-friendly buildings

After Dark added an okay amount of content so I would give that one a halfhearted recommendation, but beyond that ehhhh.

e: I really can't emphasize enough how much better the content on the workshop is than the DLCs. Without even getting into assets, the following mods each add more to the gameplay than any of the DLCs:
- Ploppable RICO
- Metro Overhaul Mod
- Whatever mod it is that lets you place your own props
- Move It!
- Find It!
- The mod or mods that gives you way more control over placing roads etc. (I think Fine Road Anarchy? I can never remember which one).

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 8, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alternative DLC feature list because own all of them (okay not Green Cities). All of these DLC have unique buildings, new policies, etc.

After Dark
    -Leisure and tourism commercial specializations
    -Prisons
    -Transport hubs
    -Taxis
    -Bike/Bus lanes
Snowfall
    -Heating
    -Road maintenance
    -Snow maps
    -Trams
Natural Disasters
    -Disasters
    -Weather service
    -Flood control
    -Helicopters
    -Emergency shelters
    -Disaster recovery
Mass Transit
    -Ferries
    -Monorails
    -Cable cars
    -Blimps
    -Asymmetrical roads
Green Cities
    -Electric cars
    -Recycling
    -Buzzword specializations for residential, office, commercial

None of the DLC are really must own and I don't think that I'm ever going to buy green cities. However, some of them interact with good workshop mods in interesting way.

Rush Hour uses After Dark to make tourism specialization act as hotels, keeping tourists in your city for a significantly longer amount of time.

Traffic Manager uses Snowfall to make vehicle speed depend on if roads are properly maintained or not.

It's also probably worth mentioning that Traffic Manager claims to provide better game and simulation performance by using its settings to disable pocket cars and on street parking as that it dramatically reduces the likelihood that cims will decide to drive to their destinations rather than walk, bike or use public transport. Walking and biking cims use much less processing power than vehicle traffic.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 8, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

turn off the TV posted:

It's also probably worth mentioning that Traffic Manager claims to provide better game and simulation performance by using its settings to disable pocket cars and on street parking as that it dramatically reduces the likelihood that cims will decide to drive to their destinations rather than walk, bike or use public transport. Walking and biking cims use much less processing power than vehicle traffic.

Whoa, I've never heard this before. I thought all the various traffic AI sims really hurt performance. Is there any truth to their claims? I've got a pretty decent computer and the game still doesn't run awesome in even a moderately-sized city.

e: Checked the comments on the mod on steam and everyone is saying it tanks performance so :shrug:

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 8, 2018

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Francis posted:

As others have said, the DLC isn't that important (I've put hundreds of hours into this game and only have After Dark) and I would definitely wait for a sale to pick up any of it.

What absolutely makes the game great is the stuff you get off the workshop. The game becomes much, much better once you add more to the parts of it you enjoy and turn off or reduce the parts that you find tedious. People in this thread can definitely offer great mod advice, and this mod guide/collection was really helpful for me when I first started using mods. I'm sure parts of it can be argued with but it does a nice job of breaking things down into stuff that's really essential and stuff that's more bells and whistles.

Bold Robot posted:

Whoa, I've never heard this before. I thought all the various traffic AI sims really hurt performance. Is there any truth to their claims? I've got a pretty decent computer and the game still doesn't run awesome in even a moderately-sized city.

e: Checked the comments on the mod on steam and everyone is saying it tanks performance so :shrug:

I haven't noticed a performance hit with Traffic Manager PE but I've been running with it for so long that I'm too addicted to fixing dumb intersection stuff to ever be able to give it up anyway.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

Traffic Manager can improve or reduce performance depending on what settings you enable. Advanced pathfinding, dynamic lane selection and parking can definitely slow things down.

The performance improvement happens when you use the parking feature with the option that disables on street parking. Parking AI adds new steps to the simulation where the AI looks at the position of their car relative to how far away their destination is. If a cim decides that their car is parked too far away from their current position they walk or use public transportation. If they decide that they can walk to their car, but their car is too close to their destination, they walk. If they decide that the car is worth using they perform the traffic calculations used for vehicles to find their destination, and then perform another series of vehicle calculations to find a parking spot.

In the vanilla game they make a decision to walk, use public transport, or drive based on a series of weighted percentages.

If you disable on street parking, and instead rely entirely on props and hand placed parking lots then the initial checks should cut down on total number of car trips in your city. This ultimately improves performance because the first few checks on whether or not to drive are looking at distance and pedestrian pathing, both of which are dramatically less expensive than vehicle pathfinding.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 8, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Alternative DLC feature list because own all of them (okay not Green Cities). All of these DLC have unique buildings, new policies, etc.

After Dark
    -Leisure and tourism commercial specializations
    -Prisons
    -Transport hubs
    -Taxis
    -Bike/Bus lanes
Snowfall
    -Heating
    -Road maintenance
    -Snow maps
    -Trams
Natural Disasters
    -Disasters
    -Weather service
    -Flood control
    -Helicopters
    -Emergency shelters
    -Disaster recovery
Mass Transit
    -Ferries
    -Monorails
    -Cable cars
    -Blimps
    -Asymmetrical roads
Green Cities
    -Electric cars
    -Recycling
    -Buzzword specializations for residential, office, commercial

None of the DLC are really must own and I don't think that I'm ever going to buy green cities. However, some of them interact with good workshop mods in interesting way.

Rush Hour uses After Dark to make tourism specialization act as hotels, keeping tourists in your city for a significantly longer amount of time.

Traffic Manager uses Snowfall to make vehicle speed depend on if roads are properly maintained or not.

Rush Hour is cool in execution, but it's not been updated for a while and breaks in some mysterious ways/conflicts hard with other mods that touch the simulation time, like Ultimate Eyecandy. How the heck do you make TMPE disable on-street parking?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dragonshardz posted:

Rush Hour is cool in execution, but it's not been updated for a while and breaks in some mysterious ways/conflicts hard with other mods that touch the simulation time, like Ultimate Eyecandy. How the heck do you make TMPE disable on-street parking?

Disable events in Rush Hour and disable time control in Ultimate Eyecandy.

TM:PE should have a global setting to mess with on street parking, it can disable it on a per street basis at the very least.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, either use roads that don't have it, or use TMPE road-settings-adjuster-whatever-the-gently caress (I forget what the icon is, the one that makes a bunch of green/red sign-like icons appear on either side of a road segment) and toggle off the one that looks like a bunch of cars in a row

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I would've thought that, even though TMPE introduces more sophisticated path-finding (which of course has a computational cost), the upside is that combined with the better tools for configuring intersections, you can make it so traffic gets to where it needs to go faster and gets taken off the board. (Instead of being stuck in a long queue in one lane while the other two are clear, like what happens in vanilla.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah with TMPE and a well designed city car use is like 10% of trips, everyone's on foot, bike, or transit. I imagine I'm turning a frame rate profit in the end.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

Disable events in Rush Hour and disable time control in Ultimate Eyecandy.

TM:PE should have a global setting to mess with on street parking, it can disable it on a per street basis at the very least.

Huh. cool. TMPE doesn't have a global setting to disable street parking AFAIK, but yes it does have the per-street controls. I was hoping it had global controls for on-street, though...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

It really made my day when I saw that he was converting them all to high density, before I had been going through and converting them all to high density myself in order to get them to work with RPC.

How do you convert assets into a different density? A dude released some amazing mid-density European apartments but was adamant that they be low-density because "high density would have too many households" ignoring the fact that so many people use realistic pop

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

How do you convert assets into a different density? A dude released some amazing mid-density European apartments but was adamant that they be low-density because "high density would have too many households" ignoring the fact that so many people use realistic pop

I'm assuming that you're talking about the Lost_Gecko's buildings, because yeah that's a pain.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455068042
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421616513

Open the buildings in the editor and change their class/AI to low density residential You can also make them be commercial, tourism, office, etc. to fill any holes you would have in a theme.

I want to try my hand at a Quebec City type theme so I might convert some of L_G's low density buildings sometime today.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wanting to convert these "euro cubes" from low to high residential.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1308093585

I tried to change them in rico but it wouldn't stick, rico has never been the same since the last patch.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I tried to change them in rico but it wouldn't stick, rico has never been the same since the last patch.

I think changing the class and AI would be the way to go, then. The only downside would be that, as far as I can remember, you can't load a workshop building into the asset editor without removing its props, although I may be remembering times when I've done texture swaps.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

I think changing the class and AI would be the way to go, then. The only downside would be that, as far as I can remember, you can't load a workshop building into the asset editor without removing its props, although I may be remembering times when I've done texture swaps.

What a nightmare.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

Did modders really not fix the issues with RICO yet? It’s been since like the fall. What a bummer.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Is the only current bug with ploppable rico the low density residential one with realistic pop? I’m thinking of using it for some non-residential stuff.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is the only current bug with ploppable rico the low density residential one with realistic pop? I’m thinking of using it for some non-residential stuff.

I think that one may be fixed with a patch. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204126182&searchtext=rico

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Is there a way to get a regular tournament going within your city? Only able to plop one stadium down and the matches are annual (?)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Same with the festivals, I just end up putting the stadium and the festival next to eachother and that way my transport lines that go by them don't feel like a waste.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

spincube posted:

I, er, may have gone overboard with the Roundabout of Despair's replacement:

I love the smell of diesel fumes and hot tarmac in the morning. gently caress you I'll monorail where I want :unsmigghh:

You just recreated the Macarthur Maze.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It was a real rollercoaster of emotions seeing the announcement for the Parklife DLC, complete with zonable parks intended to remove the dead space between buildings, and then seeing that nope, there's no filler tool and you have to hand place every prop.

:cripes:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

turn off the TV posted:

It was a real rollercoaster of emotions seeing the announcement for the Parklife DLC, complete with zonable parks intended to remove the dead space between buildings, and then seeing that nope, there's no filler tool and you have to hand place every prop.

:shepface:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

At least those dead spaces you've already filled with props will now be functional? I do like that they're officially adding/supporting pedestrian roads as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

From what I can gather the new DLC is just them adding pedestrian paths to the base game, something we've been making large parks from for year(s) now. Then just added some more park things to plop along the paths. There's some sort of new district system, which they seem to love adding to all their DLC, which I presume will do little to nothing.