Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

And More posted:

The movie is seriously released on 4.20? I was really convinced they were fake because of that.

Weed isn't really a thing in Japan. It's super super illegal and there's no "stoner culture" around it to get past that beyond stuff imported from the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Weed isn't really a thing in Japan. It's super super illegal and there's no "stoner culture" around it to get past that beyond stuff imported from the US.

Yeah looking at wanted posters in the train stations it seems like the criminal hierarchy goes murderer, attempted murderer, child molester, weed possessor in that order.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's also worth noting that drugs in Japan are 99.999995% controlled by the yakuza, and Japanese citizens do not loving like yakuza. I have a feeling that if that association were removed, weed would probably become more accepted pretty fast.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't a lot of Yakuza group have a similar thing to the pre-70s American Cosa Nostra where they won't deal drugs because they feel that it is beneath them?

Some weeb told me that and I don't know how accurate that is

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 7, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It varys wildly by syndicate, I believe. The current largest syndicate officially forbids members from taking part in drug trafficking while other smaller groups are fine with it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Don't a lot of Yakuza group have a similar thing to the pre-70s American Cosa Nostra where they won't deal drugs because they feel that it is beneath them?

The pre-70s Cosa Nostra didn't deal drugs because it brought too much attention and less police cooperation, which changed quick when the money became irresistible.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I rewatched Rat Race recently, and it's incredibly weird. There are some great bits (the aforementioned Hitler bit, the Lucys, all the scenes with the billionaires finding different things to bid on) and then many half-baked ones, but none of them come together to anything of substance and then Smash Mouth shows up and the movie is VERY 2000.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

VERY 2000.

Starring Brecken Meyer and Amy Smart

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How can a movie about Han loving Solo look so lovely and boring?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That has to be the most uncharismatic cast I’ve seen in a long time. Everyone looks so listless and drab.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
But imagine how much credit it'll get for explaining why The Kessel Run is measured in parsecs.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

every single poster and trailer I've seen for Solo makes Aiden Erehenreich look like the grown up version of a make-a-wish kid who just wanted to be Han Solo before he died

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's probably for the best that Lord and Miller parted from the project, but part of me will always wonder what could have been.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Leavemywife posted:

How can a movie about Han loving Solo look so lovely and boring?
Ron Howard.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basically.

I'm remaining hopeful, and despite what you guys all thought, I think the trailer looks fun, and there were a couple of moments where I laughed out loud.

But I'm really worried specifically because of Ron Howard's involvement.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

That has to be the most uncharismatic cast I’ve seen in a long time. Everyone looks so listless and drab.

Don Glover looks okay, everyone else looks bored.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some weeb told me that and I don't know how accurate that is

That's not why the American mafia didn't like drugs, or at least not all of it. They didn't like them because the huge mandatory sentencing made it easier for the cops to flip people caught doing so.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, Solo's really coming out next month? lmao, usually hype levels for Star Wars movies are sky high for months before they come out.

I wonder wh--
oh that's right

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

that man must have pictures of Vivica A Fox standing over a dead body with a smoking gun

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'm a huge fan of Still Casting.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Don't get why that hack gets top billing before Still Casting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DC Murderverse posted:

that man must have pictures of Vivica A Fox standing over a dead body with a smoking gun

We usually call it "the gag reel".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

For $2500, it could be you!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cool-cat-stops-a-school-shooting-a-safety-film--2

edit:
Here is a collection of scenes from Cool Cat Saves The Kids, in which he tackles bullying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzyQhgVACA

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 9, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, Solo's really coming out next month? lmao, usually hype levels for Star Wars movies are sky high for months before they come out.

I wonder wh--
oh that's right

Where do you live where there isn't a ton of hype for Solo?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

the real world

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, there's like nothing.

I don't think it helps that Solo is coming out so close to Infinity War, so it's being devoured hype-wise.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Even my more diehard SW fans that I know are much more hyped for Infinity War than Solo.

MikeJF posted:

Don Glover looks okay, everyone else looks bored.
Glover at least seems to know what kind of movie he is in, and he just looks cool in general so that helps.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also think maybe people are already tired of yearly Star Wars movies and are feeling like they can sit out the anthology years after Rogue One wasn't like spectacular.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

But seriously, it's a spin-off with the dashing funny space smuggler everybody knows and loves while the people in the poster look so loving serious, bored or angry. Ehrenreich looks outright constipated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also yeah, uncharismatic lead for the dictionary definition of charisma and a very publicly troubled production are also not instilling a lot of confidence.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Palpek posted:

But seriously, it's a spin-off with the dashing funny space smuggler everybody knows and loves while the people in the poster look so loving serious, bored or angry. Ehrenreich looks outright constipated.

The one thing, literally the only thing that makes me even slightly optimistic about is the fact that he doesn't look anything at all like Harrison Ford. So I guess he's gotta have something going on. Like he's actually a really good actor or he has crazy amounts of on-screen charisma.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Alden Ehrenreich is a really good actor with ridiculous amounts of onscreen charisma, and not enough people have seen Hail, Caesar!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think at this point its fair to say that the only reason Solo is coming out at all is to serve as a power move for Kathleen Kennedy in future directorial negotiations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Shoombo posted:

Alden Ehrenreich is a really good actor with ridiculous amounts of onscreen charisma, and not enough people have seen Hail, Caesar!

Yeah, he's been very good in the two things I've seen him in. The Solo trailer makes it look like they hammered any personality out of him for the reshoots.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd actually accept him trying to play Solo the way he played in Hail, Ceasar! Just badly copying Ford, exaggerating his body language and fumbling direct quotes.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Where are you seeing tons of hype? Because that seems like a place to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

I'd actually accept him trying to play Solo the way he played in Hail, Ceasar! Just badly copying Ford, exaggerating his body language and fumbling direct quotes.

"I love you!"
"Thanks, you too."