Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

vas0line posted:

blafhfhahahhhahah balfdhhfsh hahahha that sub I swear. There's like a million ways to migrate DHCP into a network without causing disruption. He's gonna spend more time troubleshooting that janky rear end setup when it shits the bed than he would if he just did it the Proper Way.

edit: "The manpower required"... Maybe he is in the wilderness and would need people riding exercise bikes hooked up to a generator to power the DHCP server.

It might be beyond his decision making power though. I worked for a small financial institution with manual IPs and despite proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything will be improved with DHCP and nothing will be lost, they refused to entertain the idea.

My idea of fixing it was getting another job with sane notions of modern technology and leaving them to their idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

It is dumb but if I call myself a devops person that’s an extra $20k per year.
I've found the opposite these days, every posting for DevOps Whatever is internal corp-contract shell script and test automation work for half what I'm making now. I recently took "site reliability engineering" out of my LinkedIn and replaced it with "engineering manager" because I was tired of all the recruiters sending me bullshit IC sysadmin reqs from companies that have learned none of Google's lessons but want to have cool titles anyway.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I attempted to sell DHCP to my new gig at first by discussing how there's no real reason to use static IPs internally except for the usual suspects given how reliant things are on DNS these days over direct IP addressing, and you can set a reservation for whatever you want anyway and can make DHCP resilient as hell in a number of ways. This approach failed.

I succeeded by selling it as "self-documenting IPAM." Felt dirty, but hey, sometimes you have to respond to the ebb and flow of stupidity.

For that guys setup though it would be pretty easy to do something like a configuration baseline or an ansible role to do what he wants, as dumb as it is. Who am I to stop someone from reinventing the wheel?

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 9, 2018

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't see anything wrong with that thread or with him saying DHCP is not an option. This is why it's so exasperating to ask for technical advice. People think they need to know why. You don't need to know why, just answer the question within the parameters provided.

Example, if I say "how do I X within Hyper-V", does "you should switch to VMware" sound like an answer to that question? If I want a non-EMC storage option, is EMC a storage option?

Really it doesn't seem too remarkable to me. If he says DHCP is not an option, that's fine, DHCP won't be in my answer. Absent any configuration management (which again, he did not mention), this is obviously just a Powershell job.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I dunno. I tend to ask why. If something is limiting you why is it? Why do you wanna do it this way and not a way that’s not stupid.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The why is never in good faith, as you just demonstrated. It's never "that's a curious set up, could you tell me more?". It's always "I will WIN this exchange. No matter what your setup or reasons are, I will WIN." Why do we have static IPs? Because we did a thing, deal with it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Because if you’re asking for help I need to know the why. Maybe I have a better way that works in your environment. You’re asking for help. Tell me the whys. I may think they’re stupid but if I understand them it’ll help me think of a solution for you.

E: IT work is so stupidly fluid you’d be pressed to know everything. That’s why we have meet ups and other poo poo so we can talk together.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If someone says “I need to solve a common and easily solved problem but can’t solve it in any of the easy and obvious ways,” then I’m going to want to know why before I spend my time trying to help them because their answer could just be “I’m lazy or have a fundamental misunderstanding of technology” and I’ve got no desire to help someone re-invent the wheel without a good reason.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If someone says “I need to solve a common and easily solved problem but can’t solve it in any of the easy and obvious ways,” then I’m going to want to know why before I spend my time trying to help them because their answer could just be “I’m lazy or have a fundamental misunderstanding of technology” and I’ve got no desire to help someone re-invent the wheel without a good reason.

What he said.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Started my eJPT course today. It's pretty fun so far. Game plan from here on out is alternating Powershell and Python labbing every other day while I do the eJPT course, and then eventually throwing in my Black Hat / Grey Hat Python books and making my own tools for my eventual OSCP exam challenge.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If I'm alone on this, then so be it. I simply think there is a big gulf between "we use static IPs. this will not change." and "we are a Windows shop. we do not use Powershell. this will not change."

The first, I can accept prima facie. The second, at least let me microwave some popcorn before you begin this story.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

We’re talking hypothetically here. Not this exact situation. That’s why I ask why.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I'm alone on this, then so be it. I simply think there is a big gulf between "we use static IPs. this will not change." and "we are a Windows shop. we do not use Powershell. this will not change."

The first, I can accept prima facie. The second, at least let me microwave some popcorn before you begin this story.

You aren't alone per se. There is value in understanding some back story, as perhaps there is additional missing info. But yeah, generally the answer to his question will be, "figure out how to use dhcp"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
You ask why to make sure the person on the other end isn't a loving idiot. I hope this message assists you in your IT journey.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 9, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think there's something to be said for attitude in the question as well. In this case it's "DHCP isn't a viable option for us", and that's a pretty loving bonkers thing to say. It leads to doubt of the question asker's knowledge and ability to properly set up anything else in the environment.

If they said "can this be done without DHCP changes" or "as an additional challenge let's ignore DHCP" that changes the perception of the original question.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

You ask why to make sure the person on the other end isn't a loving idiot. I hope this message assists you in your IT journey.

Also to deal with XY problems, which also often reveal that the other person is an idiot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Always, always ask why. Otherwise you'll end up 30 hours down a project that could have been done in 2. It's just a good approach no matter what type of engineering you're doing. Check out Richard Feyman's books for other really good examples. The dude was probably one of the smartest people in the past century and he would always start a process without preconceptions, to the degree that people thought he was an idiot at the start of the conversation.

[Edit: Also, there's nothing worse than a user who comes to you with a solution instead of a problem. I really don't understand an engineer getting upset if another engineer asks why. That's part of the process.]

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
An important lesson I learned is to ask what done looks like.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The last two posts are strong advice. However I just want it on record that you're talking about your professional responsibilities, and I'm discussing the act of answering a single question from someone you've never met and who can not legally compel you to follow up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hear ya. I'm sure I'm part of the problem, because if someone came into this thread and said "I need to do thing X, which DHCP makes trivial, but I can't use DHCP" I'm going to have some serious questions about why you can't use DHCP.

At the end of the day, you're asking for free advice from people who so this for a living. If you don't like the advice, either keep scrolling or don't ask in the future.

I just honestly can't wrap my head around getting upset over it. Not saying your position unreasonable, I just don't agree.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
That reddit post has motivated me to write a script to get IP addresses with matching MACs to prepare a migration to DHCP reservations for the static networks I still have around.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

excellent meeting then guys, we argued, bitched, accomplished absolutely nothing and then the 1 engineer figured out how to use what we bitched about in an obscure project of his own.

I feel good about this one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It loops back to "Don't tell me what product you want, tell me what problem you're trying to solve." because in a majority of cases people just jump on the first solution that comes to mind, no matter how ineffective or inappropriate that might be.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I worked in a team that had an air gapped environment with all static IP addresses and no DNS.

Tried to sell them on setting up DNS instead of copying host files but they were of the opinion that it’d cost too much time to maintain once it was in place.

there were a lot of issues with ip / hostnames as the hostfiles were inconsistent between servers and environments

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

mllaneza posted:

Also to deal with XY problems, which also often reveal that the other person is an idiot.

obligatory link: http://xyproblem.info/

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Are there any good resources/guidelines for moving from static addressing over to DHCP (Windows DHCP environment)? It's something I've wanted to look into for a while but I want to learn a bit more before I throw it out as a potential project.

All user desktops are running on DHCP, but all of our server/production subnets are statically assigned.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are there any good resources/guidelines for moving from static addressing over to DHCP (Windows DHCP environment)? It's something I've wanted to look into for a while but I want to learn a bit more before I throw it out as a potential project.

All user desktops are running on DHCP, but all of our server/production subnets are statically assigned.

Does the software support DNS resolution or is it crap and can only go to the same IP every time? That's really the only consideration, and the fact that your DHCP service becomes critical infrastructure to keep your network working past <lease expiration time>.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Semantic satiation (also semantic saturation) is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds.

My managers' managerial skills consist entirely of one phrase: "You need to focus."

You're 10 mins late. "You need to focus."
You missed a meeting you were never invited to. "You need to focus."
You didn't proactively put together a departmental budget (you've never even seen a budget before). "You need to focus."
A construction worker cut your fiber, and now half the building has no network. "You need to focus."

What really sells it though is when he comes to you with a list of 10 things that all need to be done right that very moment and then tells you that you can do them all at once, "if you just focus." What the gently caress does that word even mean?

e: gently caress I just remembered my favorite one! Workplace injury. "You need to focus."

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 9, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I succeeded by selling it as "self-documenting IPAM." Felt dirty, but hey, sometimes you have to respond to the ebb and flow of stupidity.

Don't feel dirty, IMO this is one of the best ways to sell reserved DHCP to those who are hesitant about it. Most of the other reasons can be more easily handwaved away by the stubborn sorts, but there is no simpler solution to guarantee that your documentation matches reality than this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Semantic satiation (also semantic saturation) is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds.

My managers' managerial skills consist entirely of one phrase: "You need to focus."

You're 10 mins late. "You need to focus."
You missed a meeting you were never invited to. "You need to focus."
You didn't proactively put together a departmental budget (you've never even seen a budget before). "You need to focus."
A construction worker cut your fiber, and now half the building has no network. "You need to focus."

What really sells it though is when he comes to you with a list of 10 things that all need to be done right that very moment and then tells you that you can do them all at once, "if you just focus." What the gently caress does that word even mean?

e: gently caress I just remembered my favorite one! Workplace injury. "You need to focus."

On the phone with a vendor right now, he keeps saying "right?" except not as a question.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had this happen to me last month with "availability" over a series of strategic & tactical meetings. I'm no longer confident I can spell the word correctly.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

On the phone with a vendor right now, he keeps saying "right?" except not as a question.

I had the same experience with a support person (my cellphone company). I was asking:

Me: Are you guys doing X?
She: Yes?
Me: Do you need me to do anything?
Me: Is that affirmative?

Holy moly that was beyond frustrating.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is anyone out there using Exadata? Oracle is giving us a vigorous sales pitch on it, and while some of it makes sense, I'm wary of the long-term implications about being locked in with Oracle for our compute and storage as well as the RDBMS software. Their sales people talk about the advantages of having one throat to choke, but the size of my company is not such that we can even pretend to choke Oracle. We could swear vengeance and move every Oracle DB we have to MS SQL or MariaDB and it would be a rounding error to them. That leaves me wondering whether it really is as fast and easy as they claim, in the real world.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My semantic issue is with the question "Where are we at on this?" Who is we? You can't do the thing, that's why you asked me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite with “where are we with this” is responding with “we are waiting on you”

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Anyone else learning linux in production working on the servers that accounts for 90% of the revenue your company produces?

We currently have 15 web devs who develop the websites and everything in between. We have 5 application devs. We have a QA team of 10. We have data engineers, BI, and everything else you can think of. Who runs the linux vm's that all these things run off off? 0. All had their two weeks go by or were fired.

Whatever. First time out of my comfort zone this far in a while but we are going to manage. My raise was approved today so I am finally diving in. I am going to be the next guy who is the sole repository of how poo poo works to get fired and sabotages everything.

I don't even know what my titles is going to be.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

Anyone else learning linux in production working on the servers that accounts for 90% of the revenue your company produces?

We currently have 15 web devs who develop the websites and everything in between. We have 5 application devs. We have a QA team of 10. We have data engineers, BI, and everything else you can think of. Who runs the linux vm's that all these things run off off? 0. All had their two weeks go by or were fired.

Whatever. First time out of my comfort zone this far in a while but we are going to manage. My raise was approved today so I am finally diving in. I am going to be the next guy who is the sole repository of how poo poo works to get fired and sabotages everything.

I don't even know what my titles is going to be.

Sounds like fun. The Linux thread is pretty helpful in case you really need some help. Or just post in this thread, plenty of knowledgable goons here as well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can't log into my production account and I also can't log into my recovery account to get back into my production account, yet I am definitely not fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
They can't even ask you to move your desk downstairs.... what comes next?