Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
yep. at least 6 journalists were shot also, despite clearly wearing press vests, and one of the dead was a 14 year old kid too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/982371564376162304

https://twitter.com/alexbkane/status/982395831180496896

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Spherical Sponge posted:

So I didn't see it posted earlier, but apparently hundreds of settlers occupied Al-Aqsa earlier in the week with the support of israeli special forces, who shot live rounds at palestinian teenagers who tried to stop them. They're still there now. That's a pretty big provocation right? Here's a link to the story: Hundreds of Jewish settlers storm Al-Aqsa compound

I haven’t been able to find any backing of this story from Western news sources (yes, I know that they’re biased, but the really big Israeli provocations usually get a mention from someone like the Guardian or BBC) and the footage appears to show what seem like reasonably ordinary guided tours rather than an occupation. I’d advise treating this one with caution for the time being - as I remember, the quality of Al-Jazeera’s reportage has been going downhill since a recent crackdown on press freedom by the Qatari royal family. If we get more verifiable details on this, though, then fair enough.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, msnbc did a good

https://twitter.com/LibyanBentBladi/status/982098952370745344?s=19

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I haven’t been able to find any backing of this story from Western news sources (yes, I know that they’re biased, but the really big Israeli provocations usually get a mention from someone like the Guardian or BBC) and the footage appears to show what seem like reasonably ordinary guided tours rather than an occupation. I’d advise treating this one with caution for the time being - as I remember, the quality of Al-Jazeera’s reportage has been going downhill since a recent crackdown on press freedom by the Qatari royal family. If we get more verifiable details on this, though, then fair enough.

http://petra.gov.jo/Public_News/Nws_NewsDetails.aspx?Site_Id=1&lang=2&NewsID=347812&CatID=-1

There's this statement by the Jordanian government regarding the recent incursions. Looking up more details though this isn't a new thing, as since 2003 Israel has been ignoring agreements about maintaining access for Palestinians and not allowing non-muslim people in the area, so I guess it's not as big as a deal as the article made it out to be.

http://muslimnews.co.uk/news/palestine/palestine-jewish-settlers-descend-east-jerusalems-al-aqsa-mosque-passover/

this article has quotes from palestinian officals regarding the intrusion of settlers backed by armed forces into holy areas. Both this and the al-jazeera story seem to be based off statements from the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf Organization, and other articles I just randomly found with related search terms use that same source and/or the statement from the Jordanian government. There were a few israeli articles with a pretty clear "temple mount" agenda which were basically saying that all of the settlers in these areas were just tourists and everyone reporting on the story is delusional and antisemitic. So none of those sources are particularly objective, and it's pretty hard to say if anything actually happened at all, or if something did happen, how it happened. I guess just don't believe the story until there's more confirmation or refutation either way; sorry for the confusion. This sort of stuff would be a lot easier to figure out if western news media actually reported on these sorts of things properly

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Look how much danger Israelis face

https://twitter.com/ndvori/status/982182282558562306

"The best show in town"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lets say, hypothetically that yes, hamas is partly organizing these demonstrations. Does that mean that Hamas feels militarily ready to once again face an Israeli incursion? What seems confusing to me is, if Hamas is orchestrating these demonstrations, why do so at such a height of US eyes on Israel?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why organize protests against the occupation? I just don't get it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Why even live if life ends in death.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I know I only organise protests in the utmost secrecy to make sure no one finds out

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Lets say, hypothetically that yes, hamas is partly organizing these demonstrations. Does that mean that Hamas feels militarily ready to once again face an Israeli incursion? What seems confusing to me is, if Hamas is orchestrating these demonstrations, why do so at such a height of US eyes on Israel?

It doesn't really have anything to do with military anything. It's happening because, for one reason or another, public opinion is running hot in Gaza.

That's the problem with blaming it all on Hamas: fundamentally, a government can't create mass demonstrations like this out of thin air without a level of highly-organized brutal fascism that is way beyond Hamas' capabilities right now. The IDF estimates that 20,000 people showed up to the protests on Friday, in spite of the fact that the protesters were actively being shot at by uniformed military troops. That's not something that Hamas can force people to do: the anger is there, and it's real, and Hamas couldn't stop it if they tried.

That's one problem with a lot of American observers of Palestinian politics: there's a tendency to assume that everything is done for the sake of international viewers and viewed solely through the lens of Israel relations, and people tend to forget the role of domestic Palestinian politics and public opinion.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 7, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

It doesn't really have anything to do with military anything. It's happening because, for one reason or another, public opinion is running hot in Gaza.

That's the problem with blaming it all on Hamas: fundamentally, a government can't create mass demonstrations like this out of thin air without a level of highly-organized brutal fascism that is way beyond Hamas' capabilities right now. The IDF estimates that 20,000 people showed up to the protests on Friday, in spite of the fact that the protesters were actively being shot at by uniformed military troops. That's not something that Hamas can force people to do: the anger is there, and it's real, and Hamas couldn't stop it if they tried.

That's one problem with a lot of American observers of Palestinian politics: there's a tendency to assume that everything is done for the sake of international viewers and viewed solely through the lens of Israel relations, and people tend to forget the role of domestic Palestinian politics and public opinion.

Someone on Israeli radio (might have been Avigdor?) was trying to convince the interviewer that Hamas was spending millions of dollars to bribe people into showing up to the demonstrations. I dunno how much the interviewer was convinced, but he didn't question whoever it was too hard either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

joepinetree posted:

"The best show in town"

"to sit down" should be "for Saturday".

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
God this poo poo makes Cyprus seem like Disneyland.

I crossed the border with my Greek SO, and the Turkish Cypriot borders guards were just bored and kinda happy to see visitors.
They asked me where I came from, and were generally much friendlier than the surly dude at the interceding British base. Then we drove around, and even though your license plate gives away what half of the island you're from no one gave a gently caress.

I can't even imagine people there, let alone loving young people, taking spectator seats to watch murder of the Other Side like they were at a goddamn sports game.

And my spouse's family is half literal Famagusta refugees from 74' lol.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Siege mentality is a hell of a drug.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/judaharigross/status/982879556439814144

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
There's no such thing as a good-faith argument for a 2 state solution.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gregoriev posted:

Thank you so much for sharing! Well, take care! :wave:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

joepinetree posted:

"The best show in town"

What the gently caress

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You say that as if you've never watched your army massacre protesters in person before. :rolleyes:

Seeing similar things in a previous IDF assault on Gaza is what made me realize that most Israelis aren't simply misguided but actually bloodthirsty.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They've nearly all been in the IDF do they're there rooting for their team. Military indoctrination must be a hell of a thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

israel sucks so much rear end.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Gregoriev posted:

How about this: A one state solution is just a reset to 1945, (which didn't go super well last time,) because any one state solution both sides as they exist now might conceivably agree to would not resolve the underlying tensions between the two communities.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Give the israelis cyprus and concentrate all the problems to one place

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
One state solution but the state is run by, I dunno, Jains or something.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Some examples:

https://mobile.twitter.com/allansorensen72/status/486954506517639170

https://www.kristeligt-dagblad.dk/2014-07-11/when-bombs-receive-applause

quote:

While most of the 25,000 inhabitants of the southern town of Sderot in the evening try to stay safe indoors from the rain of rockets from Gaza, you will meet a different image on a small hill on the outskirts of the city. This place changes the ghostly atmosphere into something resembling a party.

"We are here to see Israel destroy Hamas," says Eli Chone, a 22-year-old American living in Israel.

He is one of the more than 50 people gathered on the dark hill to see Israel bomb Gaza from close distance. The hill has been transformed into something that most closely resembles the front row of a reality war theatre. It offers a direct view of the densely populated Gaza Strip.

People have dragged camping chairs and sofas to the top of the hill. Several sit with crackling bags of popcorn, while others smoke hookahs and talk cheerfully. People come and go from the site in a steady stream.

"Look there," says Eli Chone, pointing at a dot in the sky.

"It is a fighter who is about to dive. This means that it is about to shoot. "

The talk on the hill falls silent for a moment. Suddenly the night sky lights into a powerful flash, while a high column of fire rises in Gaza. A few seconds later the earth is shaken by a dull roar.

Now cheers break out on the hill, followed by solid applause.

Israel has over the last few days bombed more than 800 targets in Gaza, and the message from the politicians is that the military operation can be further intensified in the coming days.

Shortly after the plane was seen over Gaza, Palestinian media reports that it is a car with journalists who are affected. The death toll for the last day of bombings is soaring.

Over 80 killed and 500 wounded, says reports so far. Among them, children and other civilians.

Concern over the impact of the Israeli missiles doesn´t characterize the atmosphere on the hill.

"Honestly. Look at the people around you. They live in this town and must daily deal with being shot at. There's nothing to say that they are happy that the military is now fighting back. We sit and look at Israel creating peace, "said Eli Chone

His buddy Aaron Dew breaks in:

"And it's also just good fun."

To him the war scene is not so much about the struggle for peace. He lives in Jerusalem nearly 100 miles away from the rockets in Sderot. This is the second day in a row that he takes the trip south to see the matches.

"It's great to be here. You can feel the thunder and see the rockets. It is a quest for excitement. Yesterday a rocket landed just below the hill," he says.

That war and entertainment go hand in hand is well-known through most of history. Even in The Middle Ages there were spectators of wars, says Tamar Hermann, Professor of Political Science, Tel Aviv University.

"It's not that it must be defended, but it reflects, however, a vision of war that has deep historical roots," says Hermann.

Meanwhile, the scene on the hill in Sderot also portrays a characteristic of Israeli society, she says:

"The Israeli public is generally characterized by a victim mentality, which tend to see the other party to the conflict as the absolute evil. Questions such as compassion and understanding for the Palestinians is mostly something you find in higher educated circles around Tel Aviv. It is more resourceful people but also people who do not know what it means to live under the constant bombardment in the south. "

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

Dead Reckoning posted:

How about this: A one state solution is just a reset to 1945, (which didn't go super well last time,) because any one state solution both sides as they exist now might conceivably agree to would not resolve the underlying tensions between the two communities.

Any one-state solution that both sides agree to would presumably not disenfranchise the Palestinians. I don't see how it would approximate 1945, given a Palestinian voting bloc with voting rights would outnumber the White Jewish vote. That doesn't resolve your second point, which is obviously an issue, but that realistically isn't resolved with a two state solution between the two sides as they exist now either.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Gregoriev posted:

Any one-state solution that both sides agree to would presumably not disenfranchise the Palestinians. I don't see how it would approximate 1945, given a Palestinian voting bloc with voting rights would outnumber the White Jewish vote.

I'm not sure you grasp what was going wrong in 1945.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You say that as if you've never watched your army massacre protesters in person before. :rolleyes:

Seeing similar things in a previous IDF assault on Gaza is what made me realize that most Israelis aren't simply misguided but actually bloodthirsty.

Israeli election results and polling on specific I/P questions did that for me. Seeing Israeli's pull up couches to enjoy the spectacle of Gaza being bombed only confirmed it.

Most of the time when a country does horrible poo poo the problem is primarily the government rather than the population. With Israel, it is absolutely both.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I like it when Americans wash their hands from the whole Iraq and Afghanistan mess. But yeah, sure, Israelis are all individually monsters, you guys only have a bad government and there's nothing you can do about it.

Israelis are being brainwashed into thinking the whole world is out to get them from the moment they hit grade school, is it time to post a link to Yoav Shamir's "Defamation" again?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
While I am American, I'm also Israeli and spent 30 of my 32 years of life in Israel, and while yes we do get hit with propaganda as soon as we reach 1st grade that doesn't change the fact that almost every time I'm at a social gathering and the conflict comes up the general sentiment is that Palestinians are terrorists and the few times I dared to defend them I was met with mostly hostility. This is in multiple cities (Eilat, Tel-Aviv area, Ra'anana that I recall clearly) and social circles, the only places I was in where non-family generally agreed with me was when in support groups for the mentally disabled.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also, it wouldn't be unfair to point out that a huge proportion of Americans are also bloodthirsty psychopaths.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It wasn't meant to challenge the fact, it was meant to explain how it came to be and to challenge the notion that Israelis are somehow unique in the sense that only they support the immoral actions of their government.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It wasn't meant to challenge the fact, it was meant to explain how it came to be and to challenge the notion that Israelis are somehow unique in the sense that only they support the immoral actions of their government.

Oh, okay, I now see what you were replying to.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seems like the Israeli Air Force bombed targets in Syria last night

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the protests against the iraq war were sizable.

and the guy that started that war stole an election.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Wasn't trying to imply Israelis are unique, but do want to make the point that the problem in Israel goes much, much deeper than a bad government. A large majority of Israelis is real gung-ho about this poo poo which means a solution would involve either radically changing the minds of a very signficant fraction of the population or an outside actor stepping in and using force if necessary to protect the Palestinians from the Israelis.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And it's not just Jews in Israel. Jews in America are just as bad on this issue. I was raised Jewish, my family is Jewish, and other than a handful of Jewish friends in "far-left" circles they are all super right-wing on Israel and otherwise solid Democrats.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

And it's not just Jews in Israel. Jews in America are just as bad on this issue. I was raised Jewish, my family is Jewish, and other than a handful of Jewish friends in "far-left" circles they are all super right-wing on Israel and otherwise solid Democrats.

I was under the impression based on poll numbers that younger American Jews (say <35) were more likely to be moderate or pro-Palestinian. Do you have any data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gregoriev posted:

Any one-state solution that both sides agree to would presumably not disenfranchise the Palestinians. I don't see how it would approximate 1945, given a Palestinian voting bloc with voting rights would outnumber the White Jewish vote. That doesn't resolve your second point, which is obviously an issue, but that realistically isn't resolved with a two state solution between the two sides as they exist now either.

The Palestinian Arabs outnumbered the Palestinian Jews in 1945, by a much larger margin than exists now.

Orange Devil posted:

I was under the impression based on poll numbers that younger American Jews (say <35) were more likely to be moderate or pro-Palestinian. Do you have any data?

Its a generational shift. Younger American Jews tend to be less pro-Israel than our parents, in spite of the fact that the Jewish communities we grew up in tended to be steadfast supporters of Israel.