Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nessus posted:

I still haven't done all the ARR hards myself, I wish they had a wonder tails sticker this time around.

My stand out aesthetic favorites are the Antitower and Bardam's Mettle. I also think Ala Mhigo->Royal Menagerie is stronger than the end of HW's two-punch but that might be because everyone stomps the King now.

There is a Lv50 Dungeon for WT, but of course you won't necessarily get it every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Alder posted:

Anyone on aether learning Byakko ex? I'm late to the party but I want the Digimon.

Steel yourself! :black101:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I didn't realize I still had 4.2 left to go, and knocked that out today. FF14, are you loving kidding me?

Convenient amnesia or no, Yotsuyu was a sadistic tyrant who killed people for giggles and bemoaned slaughtering kojin who worked for her because it wasn't fun like killing Domans. She does not loving deserve anything but death.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cythereal posted:

Convenient amnesia or no, Yotsuyu was a sadistic tyrant who killed people for giggles and bemoaned slaughtering kojin who worked for her because it wasn't fun like killing Domans. She does not loving deserve anything but death.

Hmm.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

There's an interesting moral discussion to be had regarding Whether or not someone with no memories of who they are can be held accountable for actions they have no memory of doing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There's an interesting moral discussion to be had regarding Whether or not someone with no memories of who they are can be held accountable for actions they have no memory of doing.

This, pretty much. IMO punishing Yotsuyu in her daytime soap opera amnesia state would qualify as vengeance, but not as justice. You can't learn any meaningful lessons if you don't understand why you need to be punished, and beyond that she isn't exactly a threat to anybody at this point. If the memory does come back though, go right ahead and drop another castle on her (properly this time).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

So I didn't realize I still had 4.2 left to go, and knocked that out today. FF14, are you loving kidding me?

Yikes dude.

While I suspect Yotsuyu is likely to become her old self and go loving crazy, as an outside observer, from a strictly in character perspective what you're proposing is pretty monstrous. She has zero recollection of who she was, which for all intents and purposes means she's not the same person anymore.

If she was still Yotsuyu, I'd agree, kill her please but she's not. She's Tsuyu. You're functionally murdering a child.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

That is the real question.

Is Yotsuyu a good enough actor to fool her own brother? Or does she really know nothing? And what the heck is that fancy mirror for?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yikes dude.

While I suspect Yotsuyu is likely to become her old self and go loving crazy, as an outside observer, from a strictly in character perspective what you're proposing is pretty monstrous. She has zero recollection of who she was, which for all intents and purposes means she's not the same person anymore.

If she was still Yotsuyu, I'd agree, kill her please but she's not. She's Tsuyu. You're functionally murdering a child.

A child responsible for an enormous amount of suffering and death. If nothing else, she should be thrown in prison for life for everyone's safety. If she wants redemption, she can start earning it anytime. Prove she's a different person.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Sirensong Sea: it has no story purpose, but there's a terrific atmosphere between the visual and music designs. Last boss has a simple but kinda fun gimmick that forces you to think a bit, and I'm legit curious about what the heck was going on here. Hard mode please?

Last boss is the one with Forced March, right? Omega 3 savage greatly expands on the concept.

Best dungeon... probably Keeper of the Lake, mostly for Midgardsormr’s piano theme.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

A child responsible for an enormous amount of suffering and death. If nothing else, she should be thrown in prison for life for everyone's safety. If she wants redemption, she can start earning it anytime. Prove she's a different person.

She has no conception or memory of the person who did those things. She's scared and broken. Tsuyu has no redemption to earn. This is a different person in the same skin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

apostateCourier posted:

She has no conception or memory of the person who did those things. She's scared and broken. Tsuyu has no redemption to earn. This is a different person in the same skin.

And there's no end of plot devices that can bring that memory right back - like that mirror probably will. What it is, is an incredibly lazy plot device being used because apparently someone was too squeamish to say that Yotsuyu in her current state deserved a chance to redeem herself. It strikes me as painfully Blizzard-esque writing that reminds me far too strongly of Kerrigan and Illidan.

It's bad writing, but par for the course for SB. Yotsuyu and Gosetsu absolutely should have died - and I say this when Gosetsu is my favorite character in SB.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cythereal posted:

And there's no end of plot devices that can bring that memory right back - like that mirror probably will. What it is, is an incredibly lazy plot device being used because apparently someone was too squeamish to say that Yotsuyu in her current state deserved a chance to redeem herself. It strikes me as painfully Blizzard-esque writing that reminds me far too strongly of Kerrigan and Illidan.

It's bad writing, but par for the course for SB. Yotsuyu and Gosetsu absolutely should have died - and I say this when Gosetsu is my favorite character in SB.

What's bad about it? Like, without saying "bad" or "lazy," what's the bad thing here?

It's certainly a soap opera plot but it's not like Final Fantasy has never had a soap opera plot before. It's a question with no good answer, and the fact that the question is even coming up beyond Gotetsu or Hien quietly having her killed is, I think, a sign of actual willingness to TRY to engage with complicated questions.

It is completely fair, of course, to dislike it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

While I don't like the pair of characters surviving miraculously as they did, I do look forward to see where they go with this since XIV has generally been decent when it comes to writing characters who've done awful things and how it reflects on everyone and the society involved.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

World War Mammories posted:

Last boss is the one with Forced March, right? Omega 3 savage greatly expands on the concept.

Best dungeon... probably Keeper of the Lake, mostly for Midgardsormr’s piano theme.

Having to heal the last boss in Keeper of the Lake repeatedly in 50/60 roulette while levelling my WHM really drove home for me how many people make it to that point in the story without any understanding of mechanics whatsoever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

What's bad about it? Like, without saying "bad" or "lazy," what's the bad thing here?

It's certainly a soap opera plot but it's not like Final Fantasy has never had a soap opera plot before. It's a question with no good answer, and the fact that the question is even coming up beyond Gotetsu or Hien quietly having her killed is, I think, a sign of actual willingness to TRY to engage with complicated questions.

It is completely fair, of course, to dislike it.

I say look at Fordola in 4.1. While I think the handling of her story is a bit ham-handed, I'm warming to her start on a redemption arc. She knows she did awful poo poo, and no one's going to forgive her... but she's starting to change. That's the thing about redemption. It's not an event. It's not a thing that happens and is over. It's a complete change in how a person lives their life and sees the world. Fordola seems to be going for that, and I like it and am beginning to like her despite hating her during 4.0

Yotsuyu strikes me as trying to get the same effect without any of the work, and my dislike of her is only intensifying where 4.1 saw me come around on Fordola. They were both terrible people and I'd have been happy if both of them had died. I hate how every female bad guy has a tragic backstory that involves being sexually exploited, but I would have been happy with both of them dying. Fordola to me feels like she's earning the right to not have someone shank her in the prison shower. Yotsuyu, not so much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I say look at Fordola in 4.1. While I think the handling of her story is a bit ham-handed, I'm warming to her start on a redemption arc. She knows she did awful poo poo, and no one's going to forgive her... but she's starting to change. That's the thing about redemption. It's not an event. It's not a thing that happens and is over. It's a complete change in how a person lives their life and sees the world. Fordola seems to be going for that, and I like it and am beginning to like her despite hating her during 4.0

Yotsuyu strikes me as trying to get the same effect without any of the work, and my dislike of her is only intensifying where 4.1 saw me come around on Fordola. They were both terrible people and I'd have been happy if both of them had died. I hate how every female bad guy has a tragic backstory that involves being sexually exploited, but I would have been happy with both of them dying. Fordola to me feels like she's earning the right to not have someone shank her in the prison shower. Yotsuyu, not so much.

This is all kind of irrelevant because there is no Yotsuyu to earn redemption at this point in time. That character might resurface, but in a very real sense she currently does not exist.

All we are as people is the sum of our experiences, run through a couple of pounds of meat we call a brain. Remove those experiences, you've removed the person :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is all kind of irrelevant because there is no Yotsuyu to earn redemption at this point in time. That character might resurface, but in a very real sense she currently does not exist.

All we are as people is the sum of our experiences, run through a couple of pounds of meat we call a brain. Remove those experiences, you've removed the person :shrug:

But beneath our thoughts and memories is our soul, and amnesia doesn't change that. Yotsuyu never showed a hint of remorse. Never showed the slightest bit of sympathy towards anyone. I still think executing her would be entirely justified, especially since you just know that her real memories are still there, just buried. That's how amnesia plots work. I think amnesia is a terrible plot device unless it's used at the start of a character's arc and part of that arc is figuring out their past and reacting to it. If the writers want me to feel Yotsuyu deserves redemption, she can start earning it any time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cythereal posted:

I think both of them are exploring different aspects of the aftermath of war. Like you've probably noticed how the Domans seem to collectively accept that while Yotsuyu was an evil hose beast who probably cut people up and ate them for dinner, she was in fact a creature of their society's creation. If "Yotsuyu" doesn't exist any more, who is there to punish? What do you accomplish by killing a brain-damaged woman? She wouldn't be able to engage meaningfully in a trial, you'd just be killing, potentially with torment, a disabled woman.

On the topic of Fordola, I don't think she was sexually exploited? I don't know who has been other than Yotsuyu and that spy from ARR whose name I can't remember. The topic does come up more often than I'd like but I don't think Livia was being sexually exploited (though she was certainly in a hosed-up affair with Gaius, that's a different thing) and neither was Lady Iceheart. That about runs them out for persistent female antagonists.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Done with Eureka for my main. Since I don't have any other classes at 70 yet, I won't be back anytime soon (or until they add a new step).

Boy, I sure hope I don't look stupid in this.

I agree that Fordola is being handled better than Yotsuyu. I'm kind of curious about other stuff that got hinted in the patch's story, but that could go either way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Solitair posted:

Done with Eureka for my main. Since I don't have any other classes at 70 yet, I won't be back anytime soon (or until they add a new step).

I agree that Fordola is being handled better than Yotsuyu. I'm kind of curious about other stuff that got hinted in the patch's story, but that could go either way.

Lookin good

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Just finished the Royal Menagerie and unlocked the ability to do Eureka.

Knowing extremely little about this game, I'm gonna get in to start getting better gear I guess :v:.

All I have is the job gear I got from the level 70 PLD quest. Anything I should watch out for in Eureka other than it being kind of a terrible slog? Hit me with all the goon knowledge please.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Solitair posted:

Nice colours!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NachtSieger posted:

Just finished the Royal Menagerie and unlocked the ability to do Eureka.

Knowing extremely little about this game, I'm gonna get in to start getting better gear I guess :v:.

All I have is the job gear I got from the level 70 PLD quest. Anything I should watch out for in Eureka other than it being kind of a terrible slog? Hit me with all the goon knowledge please.
If you actually want to improve your gear level, don't do Eureka. Go do the 70 dungeons and raids and continue with the MSQ to unlock EXDR, and buy tome gear.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I hear it's got really good stuff for Paladins, including armor I can penta meld?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
All the SB dungeons so far are my favorites, for various reasons. Mostly either they have a nice atmosphere (Sironsong Sea), nice music (Shisui, Skalla) or are just fun (Bardam's). The shine will probably wear off once I grind them to death on my quest to get everything to 70.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

NachtSieger posted:

I hear it's got really good stuff for Paladins, including armor I can penta meld?
It's also a soulcrushing hellgrind at first, it's meerly tedious after about level 10 but getting there is not fun.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

EponymousMrYar posted:

Is Yotsuyu a good enough actor to fool her own brother? Or does she really know nothing? And what the heck is that fancy mirror for?

If I'm rembering right, that mirror is supposed to be from the myths of Amaterasu, which has some people thinking Yotsuyu's gonna go Primal for our big story climax, it also fits with the patch title "Rise of a New Sun" since Amaterasu is a sun goddess, also she's Susano-o's brother. So plenty of things to suggest it can happen.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

NachtSieger posted:

The whole penta-meld thing on the Eureka gear is a trap. It's more expensive than it's worth to meld it out and even optimally melded still clocks in worse than the 360 tome gear.

In essence you're buying into what the gear will be in the next step, or doing like me and getting a class that was stuck back in the 310-320 days up to 350.

edit: or optimally not doing Eureka at all.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Shere posted:

The whole penta-meld thing on the Eureka gear is a trap. It's more expensive than it's worth to meld it out and even optimally melded still clocks in worse than the 360 tome gear.

In essence you're buying into what the gear will be in the next step, or doing like me and getting a class that was stuck back in the 310-320 days up to 350.

edit: or optimally not doing Eureka at all.

If you're doing eureka enough to finish a full gear set, you will very likely have all the materia you need with no issue just by cracking open the lockboxes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I capped my tomes, did my WT, did my fashion report and custom deliveries by Friday. I kept telling myself to log on for Eureka on Saturday and Sunday. I did not log on except for cactpot.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I only need two more levels for my relic in Eureka and if the future Eureka stuff is just this again but a different map and higher levels...I will be VERY miffed!!!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Is the Crystal tower storyline interesting? I've done the raids but I'm just wondering if I should go back and watch the cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

I only need two more levels for my relic in Eureka and if the future Eureka stuff is just this again but a different map and higher levels...I will be VERY miffed!!!

They already said the next Eureka will have some kind of new mechanic. Though that isn't necessarily a good thing.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

It is not only interesting, but the raids are fun to run (helps if you haven’t done them a hundred times), drop middling to decent glamour gear, and it’s vital to understanding the full backstory of a particular side character.

Supes worth it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

It is not only interesting, but the raids are fun to run (helps if you haven’t done them a hundred times), drop middling to decent glamour gear, and it’s vital to understanding the full backstory of a particular side character.

Supes worth it.

Traxis posted:

Is the Crystal tower storyline interesting? I've done the raids but I'm just wondering if I should go back and watch the cutscenes.

:v:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Ohtsam posted:

If you're doing eureka enough to finish a full gear set, you will very likely have all the materia you need with no issue just by cracking open the lockboxes.

We must be opening different lockboxes unless you're referring to the mountains of grade 5s.

But even setting that aside, just because they're free doesn't mean they don't have a cost - you could just sell them instead.

Or again, not do Eureka.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

My phone has a very small resolution, ok?! :colbert:

My first and last points stand, anyway.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They already said the next Eureka will have some kind of new mechanic. Though that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Bet it's as meaningful as the magia board, which I'm pretty sure only exists to trick people into thinking Eureka might be interesting when you first get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nice colours!

All my tank sets are yellow when I can dye them. I color-code my gear by suffix (fending, striking, etc.) because I level everything and I wanted to keep better track of them in my armory chest.