Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Tom Guycot posted:

I think the force was never a two sides issue where there needs to be balance, I always saw, and the original movies pretty much state this, that the Dark side is in a way just explaining that you can get great power cheaply and easily by succumbing to greed, hate, selfishness, and every base instinct. The force was just a power, but to be a good person and harness that power was harder to do so the easy way and letting loose was a tempting thing.

Basically a message of "being good in the face of temptation takes hard work".

Saying any of those dark and horrible traits within us should not be something to overcome and resist, but something an enlightened person should embrace feels like a lousy message in a Fairy Tale.

I would even say the prequels show this, that the Jedi order had gotten lax in fighting those things which are bad due to a giant bureaucracy and a sense of entitlement as absolute judges of power. All their talk about no attachments isn't a 'light side' thing, its just twisted Jedi rules over the centuries. Arguably its their stubborn resistance to any attachment that brings them down, as they turned not being crippled and controlled by attachments into a perverse and easy isolation from anyone you love. Something I would argue is a negative trait, something bad and unhealthy, and decidedly on the dark side. It is the Jedi order then, that I would argue WAS grey, and thus fell because of the darkness they allowed to seep in and take hold.

Yoda and Obiwan both tell Luke in the originals this same message basically, that he should abandon his friends and any ideas of saving his father and just study. He ignores this though and saves his father, because of his attachment, yet not succumbing to being so controlled by it that he slaughters a village full of children for example. Hes truely a "light side" Jedi, embodying everything good like a proper Fairy Tale hero. Theres no grey to that, no dark to that, nothing in him accepting cruel and negative aspects of human nature.
This is a good post. All the talk of light side in the sequels was retarded and hints at some sort of new force-sect. Rey is decidedly NOT ”light”, she is violent, rude and brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BarronsArtGallery posted:

The more I read from Rian Johnson and the behind the scenes stuff, the more I think he was loving way too talented to have a go at Star Wars. Honestly the nerd hate about the direction he wrote Luke to go in is going to be viewed as essential years down the road because anything else would be expected, especially given the poo poo being put out by the MCU nowadays.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-luke-skywalker-fate/

That's a good explanation. TLJ felt like two movies crammed into one; Johnson's and the studio's. Johnson wasn't in it to sell action figures, he had stuff to say about the end of myth cycles and class struggle. The studio, well I'm surprised we don't have a Canto Bight playset that folds up to look like somebody's head.

I like where Johnson was going with his stuff and I'm excited to se what he does in his own trilogy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kylo knows about rey's parentage because rey knows about her parentage, she was just in denial

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

BarronsArtGallery posted:

The more I read from Rian Johnson and the behind the scenes stuff, the more I think he was loving way too talented to have a go at Star Wars. Honestly the nerd hate about the direction he wrote Luke to go in is going to be viewed as essential years down the road because anything else would be expected, especially given the poo poo being put out by the MCU nowadays.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-luke-skywalker-fate/

Yeah Johnson seems really well-studied and has done a good job explaining himself. It sucks because it feels like all of his press post-release has been him having to justify and unpack everything in the film.

JJ's 7 and Edwards' Rogue feel like they were made by people with an understanding of film that begins with Spielberg/Lucas. Johnson's TLJ feels like it was made by a much more literate person. I know that's not necessarily the case, and that Rian has been much more explicit about the movies he was making the crew watch for feel, and he also replicated a shot from Wings, so it could just be he's better at showing his film school flair.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah Johnson seems really well-studied and has done a good job explaining himself.

Hardly. Myths are not "made to reflect the most difficult transitions we go through in life," but to compress and explain the world.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hardly. Myths are not "made to reflect the most difficult transitions we go through in life," but to compress and explain the world.

You're summarizing our culture's popular understanding of myth, which has been shaped by historical pressures such as the establishment of a distinction between pagan and Christian beliefs in order to establish the cultural hegemony of the later by delegitimzing the former, the later desire to safely contextualize Greek and Roman cultures in a manner which allowed them to be experienced by Christian Europeans without challenging that hegemony, the need to explain the difference between empirical science and pre-scientific understandings of the world, and the distinctions between legitimate "rational" belief and backwards "superstition" developed during the religious conflict of the Protestant Reformation and later deployed by European elites against the cultures of both their domestic rural and lower classes and those of colonized populations.

In the original Greek, "mythos" is a concept which applies to anything which can be conveyed by words, used in a context closely linked to the development of Greek poetry and theater. It was, for example, an important concept in the development of tragedy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

You're summarizing our culture's popular understanding of myth, which has been shaped by historical pressures such as the establishment of a distinction between pagan and Christian beliefs in order to establish the cultural hegemony of the later by delegitimzing the former, the later desire to safely contextualize Greek and Roman cultures in a manner which allowed them to be experienced by Christian Europeans without challenging that hegemony, the need to explain the difference between empirical science and pre-scientific understandings of the world, and the distinctions between legitimate "rational" belief and backwards "superstition" developed during the religious conflict of the Protestant Reformation and later deployed by European elites against the cultures of both their domestic rural and lower classes and those of colonized populations.

In the original Greek, "mythos" is a concept which applies to anything which can be conveyed by words, used in a context closely linked to the development of Greek poetry and theater. It was, for example, an important concept in the development of tragedy.

So what you're saying is that Rian Johnson is talking about use of words.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So what you're saying is that Rian Johnson is talking about use of words.

I think he's saying you're coming across as a contrarian and an idiot (because hardly anything you say makes sense).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

If Rian is so smart then how come he made the worst star wars movie?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Didn't know he had such a huge part to play in Attack of the Clones. The more you know.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

FuturePastNow posted:

Rey has no clear idea who her parents were. Kylo probably has no idea who her parents were but might want to gently caress with her. Snoke probably knew but he had no reason to be honest and definitely wanted to gently caress with her. Luke might have known but he wanted her to stop thinking about that stuff and leave.

Maybe they really were "nobody," but I see no reason to trust that answer.

The whole point of the reveal was that Rey knew all along her parents were nobodies.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

kidkissinger posted:

If Rian is so smart then how come he made the worst star wars movie?

I don't think he had anything to do with the Christmas Special.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

mllaneza posted:

That's a good explanation. TLJ felt like two movies crammed into one; Johnson's and the studio's. Johnson wasn't in it to sell action figures, he had stuff to say about the end of myth cycles and class struggle. The studio, well I'm surprised we don't have a Canto Bight playset that folds up to look like somebody's head.

I like where Johnson was going with his stuff and I'm excited to se what he does in his own trilogy.

Hopefully the first movie of the Johnson trilogy will be the next Star Wars I see

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
rian johnson will direct a trilogy with bb8 and ewoks and porgs and kathleen kennedy will have a toy-inspired orgasm

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Would watch a wordless porg drama

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Porgs are great. I harp on TLJ constantly but I will never not defend the Porgs. They fit perfectly fine with the Star Wars tradition of having fun space critters, and I think they're cute.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i like all the star wars, even that piece of poo poo 'the force awakens'

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Porgs are cute and they sound funny. I have no issue with them.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 8, 2018

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Porgs and freezing blaster bolts mid air are the only cool addition to the new trilogy. They need more of both.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gohmak posted:

Porgs and freezing blaster bolts mid air are the only cool addition to the new trilogy. They need more of both.

Sorry, we need to spend 40 minutes and half the budget on a galactic Olympics set where all of the athletes can only afford to participate because they own planets/slaves, but the director and producers expect us to cheer for Leia's resistance friends who are also there as athletes.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I'VE GOT A REALLY GOOD FEELING ABOUT THIS

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I know that thing.

https://youtu.be/kjEd3DpH_e0

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wank posted:

I'VE GOT A REALLY GOOD FEELING ABOUT THIS

I can't get a good read on this movie.

You've got:

-Very troubled production history
-Not sure if the lead is bad in this or not. The news articles on this were hit pieces on him, so who knows.
-The last STAR WARS STORY was bad.
-Lines like what you posted.
-Michael K. Williams being replaced by Paul Bethany. Apparently there were legit reasons for this but it still sucks.

But then there's:

-Ron Howard. He's a competent director. Maybe he really did come in and save this movie for Disney
-Donald Glover
-Woody Harrelson
-Clint Howard
-I like the droid sidekick
-Some of the visuals looked pretty good TBH.

I suspect it will be better than Rogue One.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Every time a new Solo thing comes out, RLM gets another prediction or two right. And it also looks more and more like Rogue One which is surprising

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ingmar terdman posted:

JJ's 7 and Edwards' Rogue feel like they were made by people with an understanding of film that begins with Spielberg/Lucas. Johnson's TLJ feels like it was made by a much more literate person. I know that's not necessarily the case, and that Rian has been much more explicit about the movies he was making the crew watch for feel, and he also replicated a shot from Wings, so it could just be he's better at showing his film school flair.

TLJ is beautifully shot. I can argue about some of what ended up in the movie not needing to be there, but everything we did see is beautifully shot.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEYpryMp2s

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

-I like the droid sidekick

The droid sidekick's name is L337.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Wank posted:

The droid sidekick's name is L337.

good.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is it gonna be manufactured by Leet Industries or some poo poo?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I think the biggest warning sign one can take from this whole thing is that this isn’t a Christmas release.

I’m looking forward to it. Wanna bet that Space-Dany will betray him? Ofc not, you’re not idiots; who would bet against that?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I just got done watching TLJ..a bit late I know.

How did Rey escape and suddenly be on the Falcon shooting poo poo up ? did I blink and miss something ?
What was up with the Yoda puppet ? It looked a bit low rent and pulled me out of that scene a little.

Both of these things may have been covered in this thread but its huge and I am not combing though it all..

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chewie probably picked her up. He knew where she was.

And no it didn’t.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

mfny posted:

How did Rey escape and suddenly be on the Falcon shooting poo poo up ? did I blink and miss something?

Someone asked that question in November and in a panic they recorded a voice over of "she took snokes escape ship" to kylo ren.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does Lobot have free will?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BigglesSWE posted:

I think the biggest warning sign one can take from this whole thing is that this isn’t a Christmas release.

I’m looking forward to it. Wanna bet that Space-Dany will betray him? Ofc not, you’re not idiots; who would bet against that?

Actually I'd bet that Han betrays them. That advice is for Han but it's something Woody himself won't hear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How did Batman get to Gotham!

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Does Lobot have free will?

I don't know, but his disco style is unmatched.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mfny posted:

What was up with the Yoda puppet ? It looked a bit low rent and pulled me out of that scene a little.

Did you watch the behind the scenes? That puppet is a dead ringer for the one used in ESB.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually I'd bet that Han betrays them.

Pretty sure it will be this. It's to easy of a story tie in to ESB.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

Actually I'd bet that Han betrays them.

That would make sense. Because isn't Han supposed to be kind of a bad guy when we meet him in new hope?

So of course they won't do it in this movie. Han will be a handsome good boy (but just a little naughty) the entire movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't hate it. And there seems to be a lot of Chewbacca action - he even crushes some poor sods head into the ground.

190 years old tho??

• Locked thread