Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Regarding DM voices I find the voice follows if I use a mannerisms for certain npcs.

Catty Necromancer lady - flipping my hair and gesturing as if I'm always holding a wine glass.

Old Dwarven merchant with trust issues - stroking my chin and glaring more.

Fish boat captain that REALLY wants to be an adventurer and is finally getting the chance - clenching my fists expectantly and never focusing my eyes on one thing.

Their voices just kind of stem from that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mendrian posted:

I don't think this is a universal truth.

I had a DM that ran all npcs exactly the same and it made me want to die.

Right, sorry, I should say: there's other things than voices to make NPCs distinct. There's how they carry themselves, how they act when they talk, how authentically or inauthentically they say things, what vocabulary they have and use.

You can and should talk about how people talk, it can save you a lot of time coming up with words to put in their mouths.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes they can for sure be applied to Greyhawk, as Greyhawk uses the Great Wheel Cosmology. Pretty much along with the Princes of Elemental Evil, Imix, Ogrémoch, Yan-C-Bin, and Olhydra there are Princes of Elemental Good.

They are
Chan Princess of Good Air

A calm, gentle and thoughtful being though she can rage like a harsh wind. She is devoted to destroying the forces of Elemental Evil, but spends most of her time locked in a cold war with Yan-C-Bin while they both use their inherent invisibility to spy on each other and scare each other into inaction. She holds a great deal of disdain for Ben-Hadar for his attitude and his unwillingness to commit to the fight against Evil, and she and her forces quarrel with him often.

Zaaman Rul Prince of Good Fire

Zaaman Rul is rumored to be the bastard son of Imix and loathes his evil counterpart over all other beings. He is stated to be courageous, honest and enthusiastic, but he is also naive and inexperienced being the youngest and weakest of the Elemental Princes. His status as the weakest Elemental Prince was further cemented by a ill thought out attack on Imix many years ago. His forces were all ether destroyed, routed or converted, while Zaaman Rul was fatally wounded by his more powerful counterpart. A Phoenix saved him and he has since then focused on rebuilding his forces so that he can try and strike a successful blow against Imix. Knowing he lacks support on the elemental plane of fire he searches all the planes including the Material plane for allies to join his forces. Offering the invitation to anyone that can survive on the Inner Elemental Plane of Fire and posses a noble heart. He also despises Ben-Hadar for giving up the fight against evil.

Sunnis Elemental Princess of Good Earth

Sunnis is a gentle and compassionate being who lives existence of quiet contemplation, doting over her many servants and followers as cherished children. She is also the Elemental Prince who is most bitterly opposed to her planar neighbor, in her case Ogrémoch. While her true hate is reserved for him and they oppose each other in all things, she battles many other forces of destruction and evil. There are stories that she once battled the Tarrasque and used an artifact on it that caused it's cycles of dormancy. Appearntly there are many beings interested in being her suitor, but she remains stoic to all their advances.

Ben-Hadar Elemental Prince of Good Water

Ben-Hadar is described as an arrogant, selfish boor. Ben-Hadar clings to the title of Good in that he truly cares about his followers and would sacrifice his own life to protect them and his plane. Ben-Hadar believes that seeking out evil to destroy is is a fool's enterprise, and that even evil creatures can sometimes be used for good purposes. As such, he keeps his affairs private and doesn't go picking fights (Though he is perfectly willing to kick the asses of those who do pick fights with him). Unlike the other Elemental Princes he has no enmity with his counterpart Olhydra and the two largely ignore each other. Instead he mainly conflicts with Chan and Zaaman Rul, who despise him for the fact that he gave up his rivalry with Olhydra and the battle against evil, along with the fact that he is kind of an rear end in a top hat who only cares about his home and nothing in the world beyond it.

What is the source material for this? Ben-Hadar seems like a cool dude I would want in my D&D campaign and I'd like to learn more.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If you don't want to do voices, just start with "Imagine he/she sounds like Shrek/Captain Jack Sparrow/Queen Elizabeth II/Michael Caine/[appropriate Simpsons character]" and their brains will fill in the rest. If your players are meeting the local lich lord and you describe him as "Mr Burns with Skeletor's face", you probably won't have to do any more work yourself.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Anyone have a link to the sensible CR table that was scaled to player level and party size? iirc it was basically just a mathematically fair stat array for an enemy group of equal size to the party to compete.

e: nevermind I just found the page. Here if anyone doesn't have it: https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

Novum fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 6, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Finster Dexter posted:

What is the source material for this? Ben-Hadar seems like a cool dude I would want in my D&D campaign and I'd like to learn more.

They were introduced in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix 3. It only gives some basic details on them along with a pretty cool image of all the Archomentals as they are called.

Dragon Magazine #352 and #353 have an indepth article on all 9 Iconic Archomentals, and gives the most details of all them.

Lastly 4e book Heroes of the Elemental Chaos describes the 9 Elemental Princes. (With a cool picture of Cryonax Prince of Evil Ice on the cover.)

Here is the entire section on Ben-Hader form Heroes.

Heroes of the Elemental Chaos posted:

Of all the good archomentals, Ben-hadar, the Valorous Tempest, called Prince of the Emerald Tide and Coral Lord, has withdrawn the most and remains cloistered in his fabulous coral palace beneath the Elemental Chaos's briny sea.
Owing to his arrogance and self-absorption, Benhadar is seldom stirred from his constant brooding. Only if some threat from beyond his realm imperils those who live under his rule will he stir from his throne. Even then, his time beyond his stronghold's walls is brief-long enough to hurl tidal waves and whirlpools against the invaders until nothing remains but corpses-before he swims back to his palace. Ben-hadar's self-imposed isolation wins him few friends in the Elemental Planes. The Coral Lord cares for nothing beyond what happens in his realm, and thus both Chan and Zaaman Rul despise him for his perceived reticence. Ben-hadar's introspective tendencies run so deep that he has abandoned the ancient struggles against his malicious counterpart, Olhydra, and the two have not clashed in centuries.
The Valorous Tempest shapes his watery body into a towering humanoid form. Ben-hadar's palace lurks in a hidden recess in the Coral Reef of Ssegurgass. Water elementals and other servant creatures safeguard the labyrinthine tunnels leading to the sumptuous chambers within, deny entry to all petitioners. The archomental has no time for mortals or their plight and has instructed his servants to turn away anyone seeking an audience.

I just read a bit of the Monstrous Compendium and it outright says that Chan even refuses to aid any allies of Ben-Hadar or people working on his behalf.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 7, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's actually really easy to do voices once you realize the difference tongue placement in the mouth makes. I learned a lot of this when training for improv and theater. For example, keep the tip of your tongue at the roof of your mouth. Then just speak normally. Your voice will automatically change to a little bit nasal sounding the same thing goes for keeping your tongue at the bottom of your mouth on your bottom teeth or sideteeth. It's easy to do and it's not like you have to practice a accent. Although just practice diaphragm breathing or belly breathing and your voice will change to louder more bombastic.

If you find you cannot do any voices at all just try the tongue placement and speaking at a higher or lower pitch. Its rather simple and there is no way it won't change your voice.

Also changing where your jaw rests while you speak like imitating a underbite along with tongue placement will cause some pretty drastic changes to your voice. Like if you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth and imitate a underbite most men at least sound like Jimmy Stewart.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 7, 2018

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
That said, :agreed: that if you're unsure of your accents it's more than okay to just describe the accent and move on, you don't need a silly voice to make a character unique or interesting and it can get in the way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you want a voice just start with making your primary quest giver Diamond Joe Quimby and go from there.

I ahhhh understand there are gnolls in that cave. If you could ahhhh remove them... you will be handsomely rewarded.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
The trick to doing voices is just doing bad impressions. Don't hold yourself to a standard of whether or not the voice sounds off. There is no spot on. A trick movie stars use to find their characters, is by doing a bad impression of someone else. Never fix the impressions, or accents. No need to give everyone a different voice, just important reoccuring NPCs, or if you choose so, your PC.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God Of Paradise posted:

The trick to doing voices is just doing bad impressions. Don't hold yourself to a standard of whether or not the voice sounds off. There is no spot on. A trick movie stars use to find their characters, is by doing a bad impression of someone else. Never fix the impressions, or accents. No need to give everyone a different voice, just important reoccuring NPCs, or if you choose so, your PC.

Yeah, just giving them a weird cadence is good too. It's less embarrassing if you're worried about accents and funny voices.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I do speech mannerisms, inflection, and cadence, not "voices". You can even do them in text.

I need a party of adventurers to go into the swamp and get rid of the orcs. The payment is five hundred gold pieces, non-negotiable.

You guys look like you wouldn't have any trouble with this thing I gotta get done. Just get rid of the orcs in the swamp. Five hundred gold. Piece of cake.

Uh... you're adventurers? Like, the fighting kind, right? Uh, there's this thing we need done, you see, and, if you've got nothing else to do, we're paying, um, five hundred gold, to, you know, just like, clear the swamp of, uh, orcs.

The job's orcs. Swamp to the east. Get 'em out. Five hun'd gold. Youse in?

Um guys? You guys? You know the swamp to the east? You know orcs? There's orcs in it? We need to get rid of them? Could you do it? For five hundred gold?

The... swamp, to the east. Rotten with... orcs. Need someone to... remove them. Orcs... Payment is... five hundred. Gold.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 7, 2018

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

AlphaDog posted:

I do speech mannerisms, inflection, and cadence, not "voices". You can even do them in text.

I need a party of adventurers to go into the swamp and get rid of the orcs. The payment is five hundred gold pieces, non-negotiable.

You guys look like you wouldn't have any trouble with this thing I gotta get done. Just get rid of the orcs in the swamp. Five hundred gold. Piece of cake.

Uh... you're adventurers? Like, the fighting kind, right? Uh, there's this thing we need done, you see, and, if you've got nothing else to do, we're paying, um, five hundred gold, to, you know, just like, clear the swamp of, uh, orcs.

Um guys? You guys? You know the swamp to the east? You know orcs? There's orcs in it? We need to get rid of them? Could you do it? For five hundred gold?

The... swamp, to the east. Rotten with... orcs. Need someone to... remove them. Orcs... Payment is... five hundred. Gold.

That was ridiculous effective. All of them instantly had their own personality and tone in my head when I read them.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, I don't do voices (outside of over the top ones for comedy characters), but mannerisms and such goes reeeeeeally far. Honestly, remember, you aren't writing a book here, and players are all far more dense and thinking about their own bullshit then you might consider. Subtle doesn't work. Gimmicks and big blunt gestures do. A character who's always vaguely out of breath whenever they talk to the PCs is way more memorable then you might think.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

When I say 'voices' that's what I mean. Those have a unique 'voice.' I suppose they aren't literally accents though some of them might qualify.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, remember, you aren't writing a book here, and players are all far more dense and thinking about their own bullshit then you might consider. Subtle doesn't work. Gimmicks and big blunt gestures do. A character who's always vaguely out of breath whenever they talk to the PCs is way more memorable then you might think.

Yep. Apart from the first two, those examples were moderately to comically over-exaggerated for a piece of writing. Fortunately, this is D&D where "moderately over-exaggerated" is about the minimum you want to aim for.

Mendrian posted:

When I say 'voices' that's what I mean. Those have a unique 'voice.' I suppose they aren't literally accents though some of them might qualify.

Yes, and everyone should read advice about "giving each NPC a unique voice" as something out of creative writing 101, not literally "do a bad impersonation or a terrible accent, and try to do a different one for each NPC".

Because unless you've got an amazing talent for impersonations, you're always going to do a better job ripping off a character's speech mannerisms than you are trying to imitate the actor's voice.

I dunno where I stand on accents. The most I do is raise/lower the pitch of my voice a bit, or try to be a bit growly or singsong-y or something, because if I straight up try to do an accent it sounds like poo poo unless it's "australian trying to speak german with his grandma" which comes fairly naturally. I guess if you can pull them off they'd be cool and fun, but in my experience every NPC tends to end up sounding like a drunk scottish russian trying to do impersonations.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 7, 2018

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Spoke to my players and they've gone with a Paladin, a Cleric and a Monk, the latter of whom serves the Raven Queen. As a monk of the natural order of death, I think she'd fight the undead with martial arts, which I guess makes her a JoJo reference? Definitely going to have her face off against a vampire monk at some point.

Their choices give me good hooks for enemies though. I see liches and devils in their future, and a lot of affairs of gods and mortals if they're interested in that.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Vahtooch posted:

That was ridiculous effective. All of them instantly had their own personality and tone in my head when I read them.

They were very good examples, because all of those could be delivered in a DM’s normal voice and still be distinctive characters, but also because (at least to me) each one immediately conjured more subtle “voices” to do that would come much more naturally than attempting a specific accent or impersonation. Just reading them, I couldn’t help but include different pitches, cadence, etc., distinctive enough that I would call them different “voices” — but they came naturally, and would require much less conscious effort than affecting almost any specific accent would.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I was thinking it was pedantic to have to specify "voices" don't have to mean "bad Scottish accents"; but no, that should probably be said.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If you're not doing bad scottish accents for dwarves i don't even know why you play the game

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Novum posted:

If you're not doing bad scottish accents for dwarves literally every character i don't even know why you play the game

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Another thing for modern tables is to remind them that Critical Role is the cast of literally every video game so you shouldn't expect that from someone who's drinking beer with you in a garage.

Novum posted:

If you're not doing bad scottish accents for dwarves i don't even know why you play the game

Because it's funnier when they're Les Mis extras.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I just flat out asked my players if they wanted me to do voices. They said because we were playing elf games that involve killing goblins, I sure as hell do stupid voices.

I have actually done a combination of voices and just saying “think of this movie character, this guy sounds like him” and it has worked well.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Novum posted:

If you're not doing bad scottish russian accents for dwarves i don't even know why you play the game

I mean, it makes sense for dwarves to be russian. Easier to grow potatoes for vodka, workers always grumbling about the upper class and surface-dwellers... I could definitely see a band of adolescent dwarves in tracksuits hustling for serious money.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Out of curiosity, how do people's parties handle a) scouting of specific areas and b) overland movement in a group?
For the last 15ish years I've played on and off with the one DM / group of friends that I play with, we've nearly always had a designated 'scout' in the group. For overland movement, just someone in light/no armor 100 yards ahead that had the best passive perception. For specific scouting, either a rogue or some sort of higher leveled spellcaster that could perform the same thing (animal form into a bird, flying and invis mage, many options open up)

However, we're starting a campaign next week with 4 players, none of whom are setup to perform this role. Other than just being cautious, any suggestions or examples? The DM is absolutely not ok with an averaged roll for stealth, it's always per character. We've always played with house rules letting people run away fast, but at low level getting surprised can be a death sentence.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

Out of curiosity, how do people's parties handle a) scouting of specific areas and b) overland movement in a group?
For the last 15ish years I've played on and off with the one DM / group of friends that I play with, we've nearly always had a designated 'scout' in the group. For overland movement, just someone in light/no armor 100 yards ahead that had the best passive perception. For specific scouting, either a rogue or some sort of higher leveled spellcaster that could perform the same thing (animal form into a bird, flying and invis mage, many options open up)

However, we're starting a campaign next week with 4 players, none of whom are setup to perform this role. Other than just being cautious, any suggestions or examples? The DM is absolutely not ok with an averaged roll for stealth, it's always per character. We've always played with house rules letting people run away fast, but at low level getting surprised can be a death sentence.

I don't particularly like getting too established with that stuff, since it can get bogged down in one guy doing skill rolls or getting caught in combat. That's more about GMing though.

This might not be the best idea, but I'd say not to bother, and just kick the drat door down and go straight to cracking skulls. If you aren't specced for stealth, you're probably set up to be pretty good at that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

All of my dwarves are New Yorkers.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

AlphaDog posted:

gently caress, that’s good.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

mastershakeman posted:

Overland travel.

I ask the party if they're going fast or quiet. Fast gets them attacked by something en route to the dungeon. Quiet gets them to the dungeon after an enemy or rival party gets there or the residents had time to entrench themselves.

In-dungeon

I telegraph small tunnels and crawlspaces that get to trap back panels and hidden access doors over encouraging the players to scout. Scouting ahead hits the Shadowrun Hacker problem where the party doesn't actually watch the Rogue playing the Rogue minigame for several minutes at a time so they might get Advantage for one turn.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
If you had two lore bards could they both cutting words the same roll

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

CaPensiPraxis posted:

That said, :agreed: that if you're unsure of your accents it's more than okay to just describe the accent and move on, you don't need a silly voice to make a character unique or interesting and it can get in the way.

Agreed. Our DM is hearing impaired with the knock on effect that he can't really do accents; describing the character and their voices works just as well.
Also make sure the PCs know they can ask out of character questions about the appearance and apparent personality of the NPCs.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Are there any sources for monster as pc races that are both good and cheap (preferably free) out there?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So my D&D group took 4 hours to do a little roleplaying and clear the Necromancer's Cave in Princes of Apocalypse. I worked in some background info, but I think it may be too lore heavy and my group of relative newbies prefer hack and slashing and more tropey straightforward stuff, at least for this game. I'm considering sending them to the Elemental Nodes and calling it a game, then reforming into a smaller group of just the players who are actively engaged. All of them are my friends.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

Are there any sources for monster as pc races that are both good and cheap (preferably free) out there?

The dmsguild and enworld and maybe sometimes reddit would be a good bet. You'd be fine to just Google it and the top results will be the likely sites if they have anything. Faster than checking them all manually.

Edit: spelling

Dameius fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 9, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

hangedman1984 posted:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/230312/Monstrous-Races

$3 for every MM entry as a player race.

e: fixed broken link

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 9, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't a book come out with rules for monsters as pcs recently. Like an official 5e book.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't a book come out with rules for monsters as pcs recently. Like an official 5e book.

Volo’s Guide has a bunch, yeah.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Purely for theoretical purposes, what is the most broken spell combo a 6th level wizard can hope to achieve?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Kaysette posted:

http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/230312

$3 for every MM entry as a player race.

Lurdiak posted:

Volo's only had a small set, though. I wonder if this DMs guild pdf has the level of details that the old 3.5 monster races stuff had, where there was level progression and details for ogre mages, orcs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Finster Dexter posted:

Volo's only had a small set, though. I wonder if this DMs guild pdf has the level of details that the old 3.5 monster races stuff had, where there was level progression and details for ogre mages, orcs, etc.

It doesn't have that kind of stuff since that isn't really a thing in 5e but it has 228 new race options, a bunch of improved templates for vampires, werewolves, etc., and a section for making your own races based on their formula for balancing the power of racial abilities.

This thing made DMs Guild authors so salty because it's a stupid amount of content being sold for only $3 (I own it but don't have any relation to the author).