Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't you need to be pretty on top of wood selection/seasoning/shaping to make a bow powerful enough to kill things? It might have been tried many times before that, but abandoned for being poo poo.

No, the oldest bows found are from Holmegaard in Denmark, and these are fairly well designed and developed (it's actually a great design for selfbows). Roughly 9000 years old. I'm sure that if you're looking at rock illustrations of archers, and flint arrowheads you'll go back way further.

It doesn't take alot of power to kill game like small deers, etc. Most modern hunters prefer "stronger bows" in the 50-70# range for better shot placement and more ethical kills, but they're also using broadheads that will kill game relatively fast, so that you don't have to chase it and search in the brushwork.

Small flint heads work perfectly fine, but they won't exsanguinate them as fast. For birdhunting, arrows are used that have a hardwood foreshaft that looks sort of like a small club.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When my mom was little, my grandmother used to have her leave milk out for the fairies :3:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

spoon daddy posted:

Icelandic people still take elves pretty seriously today. It’s a little crazy.

As an Icelander I don't believe in the hidden folk but I'm not sure if they know that so it's better not to risk it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FreudianSlippers posted:

As an Icelander I don't believe in the hidden folk but I'm not sure if they know that so it's better not to risk it.

That strikes me as entirely reasonable.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Hidden Folk are just Neanderthals that got really good at subterranean living, nothing to be afraid of!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The Hidden Folk are just Neanderthals that got really good at subterranean living, nothing to be afraid of!

Yeah, it’s just like The Thirteenth Warrior

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Y'all are ignoring that his point was since jupiter was not actually talking to people that in effect you were seeing the priests exerting control over the populace.

Rabbinic judaism doesn't really feature a powerful priest caste though, or a political structure to control anyone. The situation of judaism is not really comparable to republican roman religion or medieval catholicism or islam.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The Menehune get around.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

spoon daddy posted:

Not just elves, either.

Wikipedia posted:

In Iceland there are modern examples of a nithing pole being raised. It is thought that the tradition has continued unbroken since the settlement of Iceland. A notable example from 2006 happened when a farmer in Bíldudalur, claiming direct descent from Egill Skallagrímsson, raised a pole with a calf's head attached against another local man with a note attached to the effect that he would not rest until the man was either outlawed or dead. The reason the nithing pole was raised was that the man had run over the former's puppy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i am on that dude's side, it was a puppy for god's sake.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rabbinic judaism doesn't really feature a powerful priest caste though, or a political structure to control anyone. The situation of judaism is not really comparable to republican roman religion or medieval catholicism or islam.

Rabbinic, yes. I thought we were talking about ancient world Temple era Judaism though, which very much did.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've always wanted to raise níðstöng but have never had a grudge bad enough to necessitate that level of curse.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

spoon daddy posted:

Iceland is such a strange desolate cold martian place that I kinda understand.
When I was on my trip there we basically traveled the whole island, going around it in a circle. Icelandic life is almost entirely along the rim (and also almost entirely around Reykjavik), even most of the most remote tiny settlements are near the shore. The huge middle area is mostly empty, and rises up from the shore areas not very far inland.

So like Icelanders have their whole history of sticking to the shores and few valleys, and staring up at these cliffs and hills that lead into this vast moonscape that was pretty much a huge no go zone before more modern technology made it crossable and tourism made them even have a reason to bother.
This huge unexplored strange zone staring down at them.... it's fuckin' erie even now after it's all mapped.
Hell there's this stretch somewhere around the south central coast where there's tons of weird little rock piles and outcroppings, some of them up on the cliffs/hills above the shore. And yeah gently caress, they look like strange little goblins and poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Until the advent of modern roads it was faster for someone in eastern Iceland to take the next ship to Copenhagen then sail from there to Reykjavík than to travel by land.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
On the same topic, it's crazy how dead serious otherwise totally worldly urbane Greeks can take the Evil Eye concept.

Like white western hippies buy those little blue eye icons as a neat new age trinket? And these people literally keep them around because their cousin once removed has a grudge against them and they know bad karma is being sent their way.
I assume there are lots of Levantine/East Medd folks who do this, but it's just strange seeing it in cosmopolitan people you don't expect it from.

My wife will occasionally in absolute sincerity think something bad happening in our life is because of her bitchy aunt back halfway across the globe.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Erik the Red was banished from Iceland for five years for startling his neighbor's kitten

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Grape posted:

On the same topic, it's crazy how dead serious otherwise totally worldly urbane Greeks can take the Evil Eye concept.

Like white western hippies buy those little blue eye icons as a neat new age trinket? And these people literally keep them around because their cousin once removed has a grudge against them and they know bad karma is being sent their way.
I assume there are lots of Levantine/East Medd folks who do this, but it's just strange seeing it in cosmopolitan people you don't expect it from.

My wife will occasionally in absolute sincerity think something bad happening in our life is because of her bitchy aunt back halfway across the globe.

Latin culture is still into that Evil Eye (Mal de Ojos) thing, especially amongst the older people. Children are especially susceptible to it so if your child gets sick or has bad luck it might be because someone is jealous that you have such a beautiful child. Beware of Gypsies! Not a lot of Gypsies in Latin countries because of the stigma against them because their Evil Eye is especially powerful.

I brought my mom the eye protector thing in a decorated bronze plate from Morocco, and she took it seriously and hung it over the entrance arch to her store to ward off Evil Eye from jealous or disgruntled customers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Animal posted:

Latin culture is still into that Evil Eye (Mal de Ojos) thing, especially amongst the older people. Children are especially susceptible to it so if your child gets sick or has bad luck it might be because someone is jealous that you have such a beautiful child. Beware of Gypsies! Not a lot of Gypsies in Latin countries because of the stigma against them because their Evil Eye is especially powerful.

I brought my mom the eye protector thing in a decorated bronze plate from Morocco, and she took it seriously and hung it over the entrance arch to her store to ward off Evil Eye from jealous or disgruntled customers.

what, you don't make the horns with your hand whenever something bad happens?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

Where I'm from people do the sign of the cross, its a very effective ward.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

My family laughs at silly Catholic superstitions like that, because we proudly didn't assimilate any weird superstitions from our new homes when we were kicked out of Japan.

Of course we kept alive all the weird traditional Japanese superstitions that I'm pretty sure don't exist in Japan anymore. I'll defend them to the death, all the salt ive put under my bed keeps ghosts away and since I have never been attacked by a ghost I'm gonna assume it works.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m a jew that keeps the mitzvot and not even once have my people been scattered to the wind during my lifetime

Just saying ;)

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Jazerus posted:

a neanderthal dropped into the age of pike could definitely participate in a pike square with the same training as anybody else tho

they were only marginally different from modern humans

This line of reasoning has been going on since the sixties, in an attempt to wash away the Neanderthals' brute caveman reputation I guess.
In my mind this is just as bad since insisting they were just like us also washes away all that made them singular.

They were definitely different from us, both in physiognomy and in behavior. Take a Neanderthal skull, even a layman like my can point out 6 or 7 key differences to ours, differences that are present on every Neanderthal skull and absent on all of ours.
As for behavior there is precious little indication they had much in way of symbolic thinking. It's not to say they couldn't, just that they didn't leave anything for us to find, like cave paintings(1) or statues. For all we know they could've been the greatest story tellers of all time, or put their art on perishable surfaces such as bark or their own bodies.
Also they lasted for quite a while and over a vast geographic area so it's probably pointless to generalize.

This is probably OT for this thread, we've had paleoanthropology threads before but they don't last.. sigh.

1) Yes I'm aware of the recent cave painting findings in Spain that are tentatively attributed to N's, but it's still early days.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
do you need symbolic behavior in order to be really good at pikes though

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

do you need symbolic behavior in order to be really good at pikes though

You tell me

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr Havafap posted:

This line of reasoning has been going on since the sixties, in an attempt to wash away the Neanderthals' brute caveman reputation I guess.
In my mind this is just as bad since insisting they were just like us also washes away all that made them singular.

They were definitely different from us, both in physiognomy and in behavior. Take a Neanderthal skull, even a layman like my can point out 6 or 7 key differences to ours, differences that are present on every Neanderthal skull and absent on all of ours.
As for behavior there is precious little indication they had much in way of symbolic thinking. It's not to say they couldn't, just that they didn't leave anything for us to find, like cave paintings(1) or statues. For all we know they could've been the greatest story tellers of all time, or put their art on perishable surfaces such as bark or their own bodies.
Also they lasted for quite a while and over a vast geographic area so it's probably pointless to generalize.

This is probably OT for this thread, we've had paleoanthropology threads before but they don't last.. sigh.

1) Yes I'm aware of the recent cave painting findings in Spain that are tentatively attributed to N's, but it's still early days.

So this paleoanthro/bioanthro is not really my subfield but I do know a little about it since I have taken multiple courses on it. As a layman you really shouldn’t be using cranial differences as a metric for behavior because 1. You do not have a frame of reference for what any of those features mean, and 2. They cranial metrics have a long and storied history of being used for lovely reasons and (IMO) best used as a secondary or tertiary source of evidence (as an aside we still get training for ethnic identification through skulls which is kinda fun but also hilariously blurry and should not be court admissible imo). As an archaeologist, If i were to make claims on possible material culture and behavior based on skeletal morphology (besides like, cultural modifications apparent) I would be laughed out of the room.

Anyways current thought on Neanderthals is that we arnt super sure about the extent of symbolic behavior they had (turns out poo poo from that long ago is hard to find and also pin on one species) we are thinking more and more that they were pretty darn close to us. A lot of complaints with early evidence has been overlap between the two species or claims of influence. I work in an area where claims of influence gets tossed around a lot and I find its normally best to ere on the side of independent thought/invention unless its super clear that there was effective influence.

Also they totally could have worked in a pike square if they got the concept, and would have been pretty good at it too since they were hilariously robust.

Edit: Also on cranial morphology, early homo sapiens skulls look pretty drat different from modern skulls so its another mark against that being a thing.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 8, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GUNS posted:

I follow the ancestral beliefs of my people by not using white lighters.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think it's a contradiction to say "priests promoted religious beliefs that gave priests more power" and "priests earnestly believed that doing so was the best for everyone". Humans are quite capable of convincing themselves of the morality of their own self interest. Fully understanding the society requires understanding the religious thought even though there's a passable model of behavior in which everything is a priestly scam.

I'm reminded of Edmund Leach's description of accusations of witchcraft among the Kachin. The Kachin he knew during his fieldwork took witchcraft very seriously identifying curses as the source of disease and misfortune. However their accusations were obviously effected by earthly concerns. While killing witches was in theory about taking revenge for suffering under a spell, those killed for the crime were inevitably older, isolated individuals with few family who could defend them. Older women without family but above average property were especially likely to be targeted, probably because accusers get to keep the property of a witch if he or she is killed. The distinction between legitimate belief that a person is casting spells on you and the baser interest in seizing wealth from the most vulnerable is very blurry.

Priests and Kings have to be careful when self-promoting. The rich and powerful are not immune to being scapegoated. Among the Nilotic peoples of north-east Africa, Kings are believed to have mystical power to control the weather. This gives them great authority when the weather is good. When the weather turns bad however, they are held responsible and are frequently murdered.

quote:

The state minister for Local Government, Lokai Iko, said he had received reports about chiefs being chased away from the payam.

Youth killed a chief thought to have powers over birds. They accused him of allowing the birds to destroy crops.

“So on the eighth [of August], we got also a report that one of the brothers of chief Oyalala was killed by the youth (monyomiji), purporting that [he] was also obstructing the rain,” Mr Iko told Eye Radio.

This killings come a week after a similar incident occurred in Lopa-Lafon Administration.

The incidents come amid hunger that is affecting parts of the state. In Budi County, the commissioner says at least six people starved to death over the weekend.

I'm very slowly going through the history of Byzantium podcast, and a couple weeks ago I listened to episode 63, in which host Robin Pierson interviews historian David Gyllenhaal on his research into the evolution of Byzantine "political theology." It really got some gears turning for me. Gyllenhaal describes "political ideology" as synonymous with the modern concept of ideology, and defines it as:

"every nation state has to come up with a story about why things are the way they are, how things ought to be, and why the state is uniquely qualified to get us from point a to point b,"

His argument is mostly about how the Byzantines grappled with theodicy and their changing place in the world following the victories of the Caliphate, you can listen to it here if you'd like, but I was mostly fired up by the idea of equating pre-modern religion with secular ideology/philosophy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Don Gato posted:

My family laughs at silly Catholic superstitions like that, because we proudly didn't assimilate any weird superstitions from our new homes when we were kicked out of Japan.

Of course we kept alive all the weird traditional Japanese superstitions that I'm pretty sure don't exist in Japan anymore. I'll defend them to the death, all the salt ive put under my bed keeps ghosts away and since I have never been attacked by a ghost I'm gonna assume it works.

Putting salt under your bed isn't really a superstition, salt is the main weapon against evil magic, so of course it works against ghosts! If you ever meet a ghost while you're awake, I suggest spraying the salt in a circle around yourself for protection.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The salt should clearly be formed into a pike square :nallears:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
lol just lol if you don't make a salt testudo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I follow the ancestral beliefs of my people by not using white lighters.
In my college we carved scrimshaw designs into the white ones, and colored them by rubbing ashes into the cuts. You just can't use a white one that hasn't had a design carved into it.

the lazy bastards just carved an X into them or something, the elaboration of the design doesn't count, just you need to carve something into a white one

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Only for greens tho, if you're just lighting cigs the cops won't gently caress with ya.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

I'm not disputing anything you say, in fact I believe we are in agreement in that we know too little about Neanderthals to say for certain to what extent we were similar or different. I just reacted to Jazerus' claim that they were "they were only marginally different from modern humans". You can't claim that because we just don't know.

Telsa Cola posted:

So this paleoanthro/bioanthro is not really my subfield but I do know a little about it since I have taken multiple courses on it. As a layman you really shouldn’t be using cranial differences as a metric for behavior
That was never my intention, I just thought it was worth pointing out that they did look quite a bit different from us.
I pointed to the scant evidence of symbolic thinking as (maybe) an indicator of behavioral difference. I don't doubt they had comparable cognitive abilities though, it takes smarts to survive in their environment with just sticks, stones and hides.

quote:

Anyways current thought on Neanderthals is that we arnt super sure about the extent of symbolic behavior they had (turns out poo poo from that long ago is hard to find and also pin on one species) we are thinking more and more that they were pretty darn close to us. A lot of complaints with early evidence has been overlap between the two species or claims of influence. I work in an area where claims of influence gets tossed around a lot and I find its normally best to ere on the side of independent thought/invention unless its super clear that there was effective influence.

Also they totally could have worked in a pike square if they got the concept, and would have been pretty good at it too since they were hilariously robust.

Edit: Also on cranial morphology, early homo sapiens skulls look pretty drat different from modern skulls so its another mark against that being a thing.
Well we do share a common ancestor so it's only logical that as we go back in time we'll look more and more alike. It's worth noting that while we as a species transitioned from whatever late Homo Erectus to become what we are today, Neanderthals did the same and would gradually develop more and more of the characteristics we consider classic Neanderthal. In other words they were going down their own evolutionary path.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Margaret Murray, is that you?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Havafap posted:

You tell me

as the whole thing actually developed, soldiers thought pikes were more honorable than other weapons, buried people with them, and used them as a symbol for being a soldier in general. they also had a bunch of powerful and emotionally charged beliefs about flags (edit: and their legal system). so real historical pike people had a rich symbolic life. is it necessary to have a concept of symbolism in order to piek well? that i dunno

edit: they didn't bury people alongside pikes. they made pikes into stretchers and carried dead people to the grave on them. but only if they didn't die in combat. combat dead were usually not buried by soldiers at all.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 9, 2018

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So I'm slowly working through The History of Rome podcast and I'm up to the end of the Second Punic War and the start of the Second Macedonian War. I didn't realise this is when Rome becomes more Hellenic? Is it just from getting a fuckload of greek slaves? But the podcast mentions that Scipio is pretty hellenised by this point. I always thought Rome had a boner for Greece.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Big Willy Style posted:

So I'm slowly working through The History of Rome podcast and I'm up to the end of the Second Punic War and the start of the Second Macedonian War. I didn't realise this is when Rome becomes more Hellenic? Is it just from getting a fuckload of greek slaves? But the podcast mentions that Scipio is pretty hellenised by this point. I always thought Rome had a boner for Greece.

They had always a boner for it, but not the means to get their fix. They traded with the southern Greek cities, but that's basically it. After controlling most of Greece and most of these Southern cities suddenly they were rich and powerful enough to get any Greek fancy they wanted, even the less rich and common folk. Greece was seen as the height of culture and sophistication (and considering the influences Hellenistic culture has shown in India and down to even China it wasn't an incorrect perspective), and a Roman who wanted to be or at least appear either had to immerse himself in it, even back this early.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Big Willy Style posted:

Roman elites were totally bilingual by 100 BCE and Rome was a majority Greek-speaking state by the reign of Augustus. Lots of Greek cultural influence and lots of people in the Koine speaking areas vs the Latin ones.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
I've read several sources from the past that, The Roman Kingdom and Early Roman Republic utilized Phalanxes and Greek style combat.

Is that true and if so why did they change it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chamuska posted:

I've read several sources from the past that, The Roman Kingdom and Early Roman Republic utilized Phalanxes and Greek style combat.

Is that true and if so why did they change it?

they did

they switched because phalanxes are garbage on uneven ground and their neighbors in the hills, the samnites, beat their phalanxes up pretty badly by deploying in the more flexible maniple style; after an entire legion deployed in a phalanx was easily enveloped and forced to surrender by the samnites, the romans copied the manipular deployment style from them and never looked back.