Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Ibblebibble posted:

Only too me an hour to find the petricanth.

Now to hunt for the downy crake. :negative:

There's actually a pretty reliable way to get the downies to spawn. I tested it and it worked on my second try.

https://youtu.be/-l9DWekrB0Y

Edit: oh that was quick. Well, keeping the link here for anyone else who needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I'm the resident Generations apologist in this thread and I assume everyone else will reply that 4U is better so I'm gonna say that I probably enjoyed Generations more. :shobon: Ultimately they're pretty different since Generations has the styles and arts, but basically Generations just has a lot more content. More monsters, more locations, more armors, more weapons, more stuff to play around with. Apparently the endgame grind sucks but I never really bothered with it and I feel like I still got a good couple of hundred hours out of the game (and then again in XX).

MHW is a lesser game for not incorporating hunter arts. Who doesn't want to jet into the horizon with a rocket-powered gunlance?

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 9, 2018

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
SA would be stupid good with the reload art from gen. Never stop explodeaxing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I got hero's streamstones the first time I did tempered deviljho but he hasn't gotten me poo poo since. I hate running this guy. Is this a one-time-only deal or should I keep farming him while he exists?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Krinkle posted:

I got hero's streamstones the first time I did tempered deviljho but he hasn't gotten me poo poo since. I hate running this guy. Is this a one-time-only deal or should I keep farming him while he exists?

It's the same chance each time you run it, you just have to appease the loot fairy desire sensor.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I'm the resident Generations apologist in this thread and I assume everyone else will reply that 4U is better so I'm gonna say that I probably enjoyed Generations more. :shobon: Ultimately they're pretty different since Generations has the styles and arts, but basically Generations just has a lot more content. More monsters, more locations, more armors, more weapons, more stuff to play around with. Apparently the endgame grind sucks but I never really bothered with it and I feel like I still got a good couple of hundred hours out of the game (and then again in XX).

I'm with you on this. I love all the MonHun games, but I think Generations is probably my favorite so far, but I did really like the styles and Arts. They added a lot for me. But yeah, wish there'd been a little more content. I still need to pick up XX sometime, because yes. Plus, Prowle was a great thing and I miss it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Only too me an hour to find the petricanth.

Now to hunt for the downy crake. :negative:

I know you've already found both, but the trick that works for the Petricanth and the Platinum Fish is to use the tent to reset the fish instead of the much slower warping between zones. The Eastern Camp in the Elder's Recess is perfect for this since both spawn in the pool there, just go in and out of the tent until they show up.

The Downy Crake only showed up at dusk for me, but they worked the first time at dusk. Never showed up during the day at all. Dunno about nighttime.

Your Computer posted:

I'm starting to think using the lance has made me worse at the other weapons. If I'm gonna fight something dangerous like the elder dragons or tempered monsters I just don't feel safe using anything other than the lance anymore :negative:

Good to hear. Having done the HR 100 quest, I'm thinking of restarting with the Lance. I want to learn to counter and the rhythm of the Lance seems fun from fooling around in the training room. HBG is the other immediately appealing option but I've yet to see more than one Ranged Warriors Streamstone.

How do you all learn entirely new weapons? Learning with endgame gear seems like you'll miss a lot of the (fun) challenge of progression so I'm thinking of starting a new save until I feel competent and then switching back to the endgame save.

I know you're probably joking, but do try out that Xeno Ra'atz CB Super Recovery/Peak Performance build I posted a few pages back if you feel like going back to the CB. It improved my uptime hugely since my only consideration if I take damage is getting a few attacks in to top up my health from the augment. You don't even need the phial damage, the majority of the CBs damage comes from the motion values on the hit even for an SAED.

I would now drop Recovery Up entirely from that build and split the two slots across Recovery Speed and Speed Sharpen, or bring in Divine Blessing 3 for big hitters like Tempered Deviljho. Recovery Up really isn't needed given how much damage the Xeno can deal with Affinity boosted and White sharpness.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sporkie posted:

I'm with you on this. I love all the MonHun games, but I think Generations is probably my favorite so far, but I did really like the styles and Arts. They added a lot for me. But yeah, wish there'd been a little more content. I still need to pick up XX sometime, because yes. Plus, Prowle was a great thing and I miss it.

Gen was my first MH and I liked it a lot, it has a ton of content and the hunter styles keep things interesting. That said I do feel like 4U is the better game in almost every way: better progression, difficulty and gameplay. Also 4U's G rank feels great, it kept my interest for way longer than MHGen's late game ever could.

Having a "become invulnerable, dodge everything and sharpen your weapon at the same time" button just didn't feel right in Gen :shobon:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Thinking about it, making it so equipping a certain monster's weapon contributed to the set bonus requirement would actually make a lot more weapons viable than the current system where there's about three good weapons of each type.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Krinkle posted:

All events cycle. It will be available during this spring festival. It will come back eventually, just not sure when. If you want weapon streamstones it's probably better to just farm tempered elders with 3+ rewards. Plus you will get decorations on top of it. Problem is farming tempered elder tracks suuucks and this Jho quest is readily available any time. Plus it's just a more fun and challenging fight. At least for me.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Astroniomix posted:

Focus on greatsword is honestly unimpressive. It ends up being a little over a second off of your charge -> strong charge -> true charge combo if you fully charge every attack.

You were 100% right though about Focus on a Wyvernsnipe HBG - the recharge rate on the attack is ridiculous, and paired with Special Ammo Boost 2 a good Snipe will dish out a fuckton of damage, stagger, and probably break something all in one attack. I even managed to get the 'big' numbers to show up lining up a perfect shot on Tzitzi Ya-Ku, so I'm feeling pretty good about getting decent damage values out of anything larger than him.

Re: Gunlance chat. Royal Burst is a solid all-rounder, but it's definitely worth going deep into each element to be able to 'match' the Gunlance to the monster or to even identify some other good general use GLs. For example:

Legiana GL has natural white sharpness when fully upgraded and tons of ice damage, so it will dumpster Diablos/Black Diablos (and anything with a weakness to ice, for that matter). In fact, I think Legiana has the largest amount of white sharpness with Handicraft 5 of any GL except maybe the Xeno GL,

Maxed Tobi GL has high affinity and decent lightning damage, so it actually works pretty well with basic strikes (since they'll crit fairly frequently when hitting a weak spot with Weakness Exploit) and is pretty good for the charged shelling style while hitting anything with a Thunder weakness hard (which is a fair number of monsters).

Bazel GL is the Pimp My Ride of Gunlances, because they put Blast element on a weapon that already explodes a ton because you need explosions for your explosions. It's uses wide shells as well, so its Wyvernstakes/Wyvernfire attacks hit like trucks on top of its higher base damage.

Girros GL inflicts obscene levels of paralysis status (I think it tops out at 450, which is pretty nuts) so is a supremely good multiplayer Gunlance since you'll probably be able to paralyze the monster multiple times a fight.

If I had to say which gunlance is 'bad', I would probably say that Barroth Line is bad because there are other GLs that do a better job either in terms of baseline damage or to inflict its status (paralysis) without needing to skill for it. As far as skills go, Gunlance benefits a lot from Artillery and Guard, the former which is nearly mandatory to max out and the latter according to your preferences/needs (I typically roll with Guard 3, but will move up to Guard 5 with Guard Up when fighting EDs). Other good skills are Handicraft and Grinder, because GLs eat through Sharpness like no other weapon and you will need to sharpen often - having both together allows you to keep blue/white sharpness on your GL fairly easily, even in the middle of a fight.

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Matsuri posted:

There's actually a pretty reliable way to get the downies to spawn. I tested it and it worked on my second try.

https://youtu.be/-l9DWekrB0Y

Edit: oh that was quick. Well, keeping the link here for anyone else who needs it.

thank you! I was going to look up those trophies soon

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pre-Tempered ED Snipe HBG Build:

HBG: Baan Roar III (or your preferred HBG that can shoot Pierce 3 - I picked Baan Roar here because despite its low capacity for Pierce 3 (2), it has normal recoil/reload speeds for Pierce 3 with little modification, letting you spend one mod on Deviation Suppressor and another on Ranged Damage Up)

Head: Dragonking Eyepatch
Chest: Teostra Beta
Arms: Teostra Beta
Waist: Rath Soul Alpha
Legs: Jyura Alpha
Charm: Attack Boost 3

Decorations: With this armor set, the only mandatory decoration is your freebie Attack Boost one that the game gives you - slot it into your Teo Chest.

What this set does:
Right out of the gate, this set will give you the following skills:
  • Attack Boost 4 (which will give you 5% bonus affinity on top of its increases)
  • Weakness Exploit 3 (bonus 50% affinity when hitting weak spots)
  • Special Ammo Boost 2 (bonus 20% damage to Wyvernsnipe)
  • Focus 2 (so your Wyvernsnipe will charge 10% faster)
  • Piercing Shots (so your Pierce Shots will deal more damage)

Plus, the only required decoration is the free Attack Boost one the game gives you. That gives you the following slots to play with:
-2 Size 3
-1 Size 1

If you can manage to get lucky with the RNG Gods and get a Piercing Shots decoration, you can slot it into Dragonking Eyepatch, dump the Rath Soul Waist, and pick up Nergigante Beta - which has Level 2 slot that's a perfect fit for a Focus decoration (which will then give you Focus 3 and 20% faster recharge time on your Wyvernsnipe, on top of having Attack Boost 6). If you want Focus 3 and a crapload of Size 1 decoration slots instead though, you can also wear the Damascus Beta Waist (which will get you to Focus 3 and give you three Size 1 decoration slots to play with).

How to Play:
Stay back, unload Pierce 3 shots into the monster's weak spots, and use Wyvernsnipe as soon as it's off cooldown. Focus and Special Ammo Boost will synergize well to give you a lot of opportunities to unload a high-damage Wyvernsnipe into monsters, while the low recoil/reload time of Pierce ammo on Baan Roar III will keep you mobile throughout the fight - this will help you to always be hitting weak spots, which will give you better than even odds of critting and further increase the damage your pierce shots do.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp I saw the credits! Teostra was surprisingly easy or maybe since he was the last I was just used to fighting that type of monster. Xeno was a neat fight and I'll always like a game for ending on spectacle rather than difficulty but I think he could have had 30% less health and still been just as good a fight. I just got kinda bored towards the end and then he died when I tickled his toe too hard. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just had a Nergigante kill himself by divebombing into my LBG mines. He didn’t even hit me.

Not sure what more I can add to that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

All events cycle. It will be available during this spring festival. It will come back eventually, just not sure when. If you want weapon streamstones it's probably better to just farm tempered elders with 3+ rewards. Plus you will get decorations on top of it. Problem is farming tempered elder tracks suuucks and this Jho quest is readily available any time. Plus it's just a more fun and challenging fight. At least for me.

I'm all out of tempered elders. And joining someone else's game is so rough. An error occurred (everyone else is already blindly clicking join, you didn't get in to monster college)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I love that no matter how good your armor, weapon, and skills are, Tempered Jho will still wreck your poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you get put in that on your back, up on one elbow state you are done. I got knocked into that with full hp and a vitality mantle on and he one shot me.

*In fully upgraded armor with a melee weapon equipped

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Are any of the Xeno weapons decent? 15% affinity and two slots seems decent for the longsword and I got two of them gems to burn.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I hate Teostra a lot because I spend half the fight running around with my weapon sheathed so I can be ready flash pod his nova.

Also like 99% of his body is untouchable with arrows so I can only shoot him directly in his mouthflamethrower and then I just eat a hit no matter what.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Are any of the Xeno weapons decent? 15% affinity and two slots seems decent for the longsword and I got two of them gems to burn.

I've tried three and I like the bow and the lbg, hammer is a bit bleh. It's damage isn't great but two 3 slots is amazing in a weapon. I think xeno weapons are definitely high mid-tier. Not the best but definitely solid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

If you get put in that on your back, up on one elbow state you are done. I got knocked into that with full hp and a vitality mantle on and he one shot me.

*In fully upgraded armor with a melee weapon equipped

Fire a flashbomb straight upwards after getting knocked down and he’ll get distracted and do something else.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Yodzilla posted:

The Xeno stuff is all solid. Their downside is the below average damage but everything else makes up for that.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I made the Xeno HBG and I've never even played HBG but it seems like it can't fire like any of the ammo types

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Fire a flashbomb straight upwards after getting knocked down and he’ll get distracted and do something else.

Oh cool, I had no idea you could use the slinger in that state. I usually ping my cat whenever I am stunned or paralyzed and he smacks me out of it but there's never enough time there.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I'm all out of tempered elders. And joining someone else's game is so rough. An error occurred (everyone else is already blindly clicking join, you didn't get in to monster college)

You could just farm the event quest and get a million TED investigations. Takes like 4 minutes. I posted a video earlier on a quick route.

LuiCypher posted:

Re: Gunlance chat. Royal Burst is a solid all-rounder, but it's definitely worth going deep into each element to be able to 'match' the Gunlance to the monster or to even identify some other good general use GLs. For example:

Cool thanks for posting about some other GLs. I've been trying to branch out from Royal Burst and made a Bazel, but now I think i'll try a few of the ones you mentioned.

Speaking of, I made an anti tempered Jho build with GL.

It's the first build that beat him with that I didn't cart at least once with. The artillery comes from decorations, but it's probably not necessary. Defense is probably more valuable in that fight.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

The Xeno Hunting Horn is very good. It gives Defense Up L, Attack & Defense Up S, Negate All Wind, and Reduced Stamina Consumption.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

With the build I listed earlier, I tried to get Free Ammo/Element up to 3 just to see what would happen.

In a word - don't. Trying to spec for Free Ammo/Element with HBGs is a lot of investment for very little return. You need to have L3 Free Ammo/Element just to get an extra Pierce 3 round in the clip for Baan Roar, which takes your Pierce 3 clip from 2 to a whopping 3. You're still going to be reloading all the drat time, so it isn't really worth it. All of the other bonuses associated with Free Ammo/Element 3 (basically an extra round of everything but Wyvern) don't really impact you as much because pretty much every other round has a decent clip size.

Generally speaking though, I would not recommend the Free Ammo/Element for bowguns because you have to make a lot of compromises in your build that are really suboptimal or require a shitload of luck with decorations to correct, all for a questionable benefit. You're much better off modding your reload speeds to normal for your most common ammo types - that way, reloading isn't really a hazard or a hassle. Fortunately, most HBGs require only one or two mods to be mobile while using their best ammo type.

Besides, Pierce is probably the ammo type that's in least of need for large clip sizes - the intent isn't to put as many shots downrange as possible, it's to be well-positioned to make those shots count. Knock your reload speed down to normal and use your reload time as part of the re-positioning you need to do anyways.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Baron posted:

Speaking of, I made an anti tempered Jho build with GL.

Man, females definitely didn't win out with that Bazel helmet...

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

Man, females definitely didn't win out with that Bazel helmet...

I dunno I kinda like it... Its got earrings! Wish you could dye the 'hair' though...

Baron fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 9, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Baron posted:

I dunno I kinda like it... It's got earrings! Wish you could dye the 'hair' though...

One of them you can, I thought. I know you can with one of the Rathian hats at least.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
How do I make money? I’ve been selling my equipment as I upgrade and replace bits and pieces, but I’m just realizing that that may not be a good idea for the long term. I could definitely see myself using bone armor again for the fire resist, assuming that defensive stats don’t function like in Dark Souls and actually matter, since my planned next upgrade, vespoid armor, is weak to fire.

(Not sure if the skills on that armor are optimal, but it looks wicked as heck so I want it.)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

suuma posted:

I made the Xeno HBG and I've never even played HBG but it seems like it can't fire like any of the ammo types

Yeah xeno hbg ain't great. It focuses on elemental ammo which is not a hbg's strong suit.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

One of them you can, I thought. I know you can with one of the Rathian hats at least.

I like fashion hunter as much as the next person, but I ain't tradin two deco spots for blast attack and fancy hair!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Baron posted:

You could just farm the event quest and get a million TED investigations. Takes like 4 minutes. I posted a video earlier on a quick route.

Oh THAT"S what that was? Heck yeah let me just click that upside down question mark and find it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah xeno hbg ain't great. It focuses on elemental ammo which is not a hbg's strong suit.

I didn't realize only certain BGs fired certain ammo types and didn't bother looking, at the time. Just thought it looked cool :v:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nightgull posted:

How do I make money? I’ve been selling my equipment as I upgrade and replace bits and pieces, but I’m just realizing that that may not be a good idea for the long term. I could definitely see myself using bone armor again for the fire resist, assuming that defensive stats don’t function like in Dark Souls and actually matter, since my planned next upgrade, vespoid armor, is weak to fire.

(Not sure if the skills on that armor are optimal, but it looks wicked as heck so I want it.)

The only time you need to worry about elemental resists are vs Kirin and maybe tempered Azure Rathalos/Bazelgeuse/Teostra. If you're in Low Rank don't get too attached to any armor sets you have, you'll never touch them again once you've reached high-rank. As for money, just go on hunts. If you have the bandit mantle, equip it and start beating down on monsters and gold collectables will drop which you can sell. When in town, go through your item box and sell off excess monster parts you don't see yourself using. There are also misc sellables such as steel/gold eggs, these exist only to be convered to cash.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nightgull posted:

Early on you're always going to be starved unless you just do an absolute ton of hunts. When you move to high-rank, your weapons can keep upgrading but you'll need to craft new armor so you can just sell your old stuff once you've got enough armor for HR.

Take a look at your materials. You don't need more than a couple dozen of each monster part. Materials for making consumables, including bowgun ammo and bow coatings are worth keeping around because sometimes you'll want to craft up a hundred or more. The Bandit Mantle will drop items for you to sell off. The amount that drops scales with weapon types for a charged GS or Hammer blow will drop several at once, so even slower weapons are viable.

Open up and upgrade the botanical research stuff aka the farm. IIRC might seeds are the most optimal for money making there but don't neglect stocking up on useful materials.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nightgull posted:

I depends on where you are in the game, but don't sell your old equipment. There are better ways for sure.

Really early, you could grow might seeds and sell them. Fishing for whatever the gold scales are isn't bad. Early in high rank, do the event that gets you decorations (triple threat throwdown I believe), and put on the goody hoodie then go to town. Pick up all the shiny! End game, heaven help you cause you needs lots of zenny... I made a mint off of the limited bounties and selling all the trade-in items I had lying around.

Make sure you use your lucky vouchers on high money quests, you get two a day during the spring event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Thanks guys, I think this is the most helpful games thread I’ve ever posted in.

Though I haven’t see a mantle yet, much less a bandit one. Looks like it drops from a 5 star quest at HR 9, so I won’t be able to get it for a while.