Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Doesn't need to be facing, just base it on previous movement. It means the best way away from something is diagonal zig zag, which is pure :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I meant just 4 and 6 count as sideways and 2 and 8 count as backwards and forwards

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's not nearly as funny/interesting.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i need to find a reference for what im thinking of in terms of body plan here

something like this but w smaller legs and bigger/more humanoid upper body basically

a facing mechanic sounds incredibly fuckin tedious tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

That's not nearly as funny/interesting.

I would want a crab species to have the flavor of sideways scuttling. The exact mechanical details aren't super important to me.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sideways scuttle could be a manually triggered, very fast combat ability like Hop on a cooldown conditioned by you having attacked in perpendicular direction last turn and might briefly confuse the enemy or something.

It's be unusable for charging in or gaining distance but could reward you in combat for leaving yourself some open room instead of being firmly wedged in a killhole.

If that still sounds too tedious to use it could be a toggle auto-ability where you'd yes/no if it's allowed to trigger and it'd basically replace Dodge, trigger automatically if allowed at cost of moving you to happen (again, never from/to enemy, only to another tile neighboring with the enemy that attacked), probably less frequent than dodge but maybe with the extra effect of micro confusion or something? Dunno.

In case it's auto toggle I dunno if Dodge skill shouldn't stay tho, and be used for this thing.

Teal fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 9, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think my big personally sacred concepts involved here are "species that gets at least some of the benefits of big shields while being able to cast... adequately", "restricted to 1handers but gets the occasional big gently caress-off damage spike", and "no dodge skill"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
extremely minor opinion: arcane marksman should start w some levels in stealth, its not like it doesnt have a really shaky start

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That raises a good point: isn't the xp given to all background equal, modified only by race apts? Could giving someone free levels might not be free after all? I have no idea.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know the actual xp given to different species w the same background is the same, but idk about different backgrounds

e: when will beogh just send you warbands of orcs scaled to the danger of the area you're in

like, just airdrop 1 strong orc w a few followers who will probably die as chaff but might live long enough to grow stronger every so often. if you go over a (fairly generous) cap of orcs per each strength tier, two of the orcs get into a fight and one murders the other. its distinct enough flavor-wise from yred at that point and you dont have to do nearly as much micromanagement bullshit

also give orc spellcasters some kind of divine defense that saves them from getting murdered, like ely's life-saving effect but for your caster allies instead of you (gotta actually be bad enough to be the orc messiah, prove yourself at all times)

also make orcish mines 3 levels deep because 2 is just silly

ee: also give deep dwarves a chance for a small chunk of healing every time they kill an enemy, scale it off the enemy's health, flavor it as them having delved too deep and having become necromantically charged. remove their heal wounds ability and dull makhleb's heal on kill if need be. you know what gently caress it, make them straight-up weird undead.

eee: also can the faded altar move to d1

eeee: this one isnt a feature request this is me being obnoxious

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 9, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Question: Is there any conceptual reason why there's no Scrolls of Brand Armor and no Scrolls of Enchant Jewelry? Have they used to exist and have been removed, or never existed? Is there any reason why they shouldn't exist?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jewelry wouldnt make a lot of sense because all jewelry has an ego already

that is kind of a hole with the armour though

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Teal posted:

Question: Is there any conceptual reason why there's no Scrolls of Brand Armor and no Scrolls of Enchant Jewelry? Have they used to exist and have been removed, or never existed? Is there any reason why they shouldn't exist?

Never existed. Brand Weapon came out of the concept that Enchant weapon III on a weapon that was temporarily magically branded would make it permanent. Defensive spells (beyond transmutations) never affected the equipment you were wearing but were added layers on top of your character.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Teal posted:

The official reason given for Scroll of Brand Armour is that by far the optimal use would be boots so you could get the running ego.

Even if running were removed I don't think it'd be relevant enough to be a scroll type. (perhaps "scroll of brand equipment"?) Brand Weapon has an important smoothing effect in that every melee fighter relies on getting a decent weapon of a specific type while having a solid melee weapon makes or breaks a fighter while armour is much more generic, a spectrum (you can use any type vaguely around your desired armour class), and there are multiple ways to get the effects enchanted armour pieces provide.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
alternatively, reflavor brand weapon scrolls into some kind of bless item scroll so you can use it to (re)roll an ego onto any item that can bear one (jewelry becomes an artefact). doesnt work on artefacts.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean sure the most common item it'll be used on by far is weapons but that just means its not super different from the way it works now anyway :v

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's relevant to my item-centric god idea and it might be limited to them but maybe would make sense as a generic change.

Microcline posted:

The official reason given for Scroll of Brand Armour is that by far the optimal use would be boots so you could get the running ego.

Even if running were removed...

If Running ego on shoes is super duper good yet kinda loving rare then I feel like the right thing balance wise would be to rebalance the ego (for example make it cast Haste onto you which runs out after a while and leaves you Slow for a time, or just make it taper off temporarily when you take serious damage).

I've seen boots of running like maybe 3 times ever anywhere before Vaults, dunno if it's less infrequent later.

Tollymain posted:

jewelry wouldnt make a lot of sense because all jewelry has an ego already

Right, but I'm thinking about the possibility of keeping that ring of Slaying +3 useful later by tacking on extra +++ rather than a whole different ego.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no, the ring's slaying +3 isnt replaced, jewelry is turned into an artifact with its original and new properties so it's a ring of {slaying +3, rElec} or something

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
running ego as evocable swiftness would probably be the smartest thing

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
There would never be a reason not to burn it on jewelry over armor (and weapons really cause you are more then likely going to find a branded highest tier weapon by Zot, branding scrolls just speed it up) because you will have a higher chance of getting resists. I guess the running ego on boots might be worth gambling for but a chance to get some extra regen and several pips of resistances would win out for most players.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Crab Race:

- You move at 1.5x speed when going horizontal, 0.5x when going vertical, and 1 when going diagonal.
- UC damage bonus (claws)
- Takes 3x damage from steam

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

World Famous W posted:

There would never be a reason not to burn it on jewelry over armor (and weapons really cause you are more then likely going to find a branded highest tier weapon by Zot, branding scrolls just speed it up) because you will have a higher chance of getting resists. I guess the running ego on boots might be worth gambling for but a chance to get some extra regen and several pips of resistances would win out for most players.

you cant bless existing artefacts, i think i forgot to mention that part of the idea

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Alternative bad idea for sideways movement: represent moving faster sideways by making movement in a new direction slow and gradually speeding up movement to a little slower than a Spriggan until you stop moving in a straight line.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Again I very specifically didn't want brand-jewelry, I wanted ring of Slay+3 to ring of Slay+4 (and maybe rings of loudness you might be able to bend into rings of stealth.

:kiddo:

Wait it out with the artif creation Tollymain, that's the God idea I'm working on (for now conceptually)

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Alternative bad idea for sideways movement: represent moving faster sideways by making movement in a new direction slow and gradually speeding up movement to a little slower than a Spriggan until you stop moving in a straight line.

Add knock back at max speed and you've got me sold

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tollymain posted:

you cant bless existing artefacts, i think i forgot to mention that part of the idea
No, I get that. But blessing a (whatever) ring will turn it into an artifact is going to almost always better choice over turning a mundane armour into one with a single brand. Most body armour egos would just be a single pip of resistance while blessing your reflection amulet can give a chance for multiple pips.

Yeah, boots and gloves would be edge cases with running or archery being something someone may prefer but I still think people would take the choice of turning boring old ring of rf+ into a randart.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

E - The amulet "Meh" {reflect, rFire}
F - The ring "Bestcase" {AC+5, EV+5}
G - The ring "Rude" {rPois, Dex+2}

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teal posted:

Again I very specifically didn't want brand-jewelry, I wanted ring of Slay+3 to ring of Slay+4 (and maybe rings of loudness you might be able to bend into rings of stealth.

:kiddo:

Wait it out with the artif creation Tollymain, that's the God idea I'm working on (for now conceptually)

it could be special-cased to possibly add a boost to effects that can vary like that (50/50 chance?)

also there's already a god of artefact creation they're named okawaru gozag floorgod

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

it could be special-cased to possibly add a boost to effects that can vary like that (50/50 chance?)

also there's already a god of artefact creation they're named okawaru gozag floorgod

That gives me independent idea for a secret altarless God who'd boost your item drops if you stay agnostic but nah :thunk:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if demigods could turn items into artifacts w their deeds and exploits

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

what if demigods could turn into artifacts w exploits

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain posted:

what if demigods could turn into artifacts

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remote control dancing weapon drone

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

what if demigods could turn items into artifacts w their deeds and exploits
Holy poo poo, demigods are interesting now

Edit: At XL 3, 7, 11, etc., gain an 'a'bility, Exalt Item. Using it on a normal or magical item rerolls it into an artifact of the same type, maybe based on the XL you got the ability at (no hoarding your Exalts until 27 and getting a pile of absurd artis). Maybe special-case it to never decrease the enchantment lower than what it currently is.

Edit2: Actually, level scaling wouldn't be necessary as long as you code it to not 'stack' if you hoard them. Kinda like Vehumet spell gifts or w/e.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 9, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah just give them a chance for one of their items to become an artefact/gain a property when they kill ood enemies or engage in long protracted combats w a bunch of enemies or a still-dangerous unique or enter a branch for the first time or pick up a rune or

e: set it to favor artefactizing enchanted/ego items over basic items

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whoever added that entrance vault w a hydra and anaconda in cages is a motherfucker

i saw the red name and hydra on the side of my screen and about poo poo my pants

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 9, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do nemelex and makhleb still coexist

not that i think they shouldn't, im just surprised the crawl devs havent mashed them together yet

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 9, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Design Detail Survey compiled results are here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hM1JfAJrjipA6rbb_0gtHQdD8qV8IcsI1Q2F5IPoIcc/edit?usp=sharing

Data (without names):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SsZUsi4exabku7-DI3yUFOyeCID9tPgIvldbMTQnROc/edit?usp=sharing

Please feel free to dispute if you feel I misinterpreted the data in any section. In particular, I was generous about how to count the "Permabuff" section by excluding N/A votes from the total participants for requiring a spell to get selected, as it would have excluded everything but Transmutation forms and Infusion. I also may have double counted some votes while trying to decipher categories.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wow, when this gets implemented, crawl is going to be loving awesome. Gooncrawl is already goodcrawl, and will become greatcrawl after this. Next stop, greatestcrawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aw man, i was hoping canine familiar would go the distance. i abstained cause the list of spells to try remember is kinda huge lmao

e: wait is insulation still extant? wow

ee: whoever voted "piss tape is real" is my comrade in arms

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 9, 2018

• Locked thread