Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

Nokia 6 looks like a better device for probably the same price. Don't buy a Moto without comparing.

Moto has gotten really bad with updates. They're moving away from the Goon Recommended category.

Neither one is out and available yet, so I think it's premature to compare at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Neither one is out and available yet, so I think it's premature to compare at all.

Yep I'm ready to move out of my G5+ but I'm waiting for Nokia 6/7+ and Moto G6 to all be released.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

It will have new problems.

I think I want a GTI so this is almost guaranteed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FistEnergy posted:

But...but...

:suicide:

The bands work for TMO and ATT though, right?

I'm planning on getting a European model but they don't have the bands listed yet as far as I can tell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The 2018 Nokia 6 certainly looks promising, though yeah, there's nothing to go on but speculation and good old wishful thinking at the moment.

That said, as someone who likes my G5+ just fine, a similarly-priced similarly-featured phone that gets updated more than like twice a year would be nice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone getting a bug where they can't swipe right to get to the Google feed?

It doesn't happen to me all the time, but sometimes it just bounces like I'm already in the left-most screen already...

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

It doesn't happen to me all the time, but sometimes it just bounces like I'm already in the left-most screen already...

Yeah this was happening to me yesterday and it fixed itself randomly

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thermopyle posted:

I've been getting this and it bothers me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I still have my Note 8 lying around, so I tried the Oreo update on it and while visually it's not much different I swear it's smoother and snappier now. Battery life seems better too, probably due to the job scheduler thing I'm guessing.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
You aren't alone, I find the Note 8 noticeably snappier with Oreo now too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

I still have my Note 8 lying around, so I tried the Oreo update on it and while visually it's not much different I swear it's smoother and snappier now. Battery life seems better too, probably due to the job scheduler thing I'm guessing.

Your avatar has reverted. Blue Train's is hosed. Y'all running root malware or what?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Your avatar has reverted. Blue Train's is hosed. Y'all running root malware or what?

End times are here, Samsung is........good?!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Looking to buy a Pixel 2, but refurbished. I'm guessing that Google doesn't sell these direct as all I seem to find are resellers?

They have refurbished devices but I don't think they sell them since I just got one to replace my original Pixel 2 for speaker issues.

It's actually okay, luckily enough. A friend of mine had to replace his Pixel 2 with three different refurbs because each one had its own special problem.

Mine has a warmer screen than the older one, a slightly rattly vibration motor (which also is stronger than the one in the older one), has a better ambient sensor as it doesn't go super dark randomly while I'm looking at it, and has better Active Edge.

I just got it yesterday so we'll see how it goes later.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Thermopyle posted:

I'm getting a slightly different problem: I can swipe right to get the Google feed, but it's entirely blank except for a search bar. No cards, no Google doodle, no way to get to options. I can scroll for about the usual length of my feed, but there's not a drat thing there.

There's a bunch of supposed fixes for this, and each of them works for approximately ~5 minutes before it goes back to blank.

Edit: Like loving less than a minute after rebooting my Moto X4 it's already doing it again.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So i dropped a bottle on my 2XL. Now i got one of these fancy spiderweb displays all the cool kids have.
The touchscreen still works and even the display mostly works. But only if the brightness is not set to high. The moment it increases the brightness above a certain point the lower half of the screen just turns off. So thats fun with the sudden sunny weather we are getting. Im the guy standing outside covering the brightness sensor on his phone to force it to dim the screen...
Even more fun is that, here in Germany, the repair service Google offers is loving ridiculous. They're obviously not repairing it themself so they are using an external company. This company does not even have a website about their repair service. Theres just an email address you can mail and if you are lucky the'll reply with details within two weeks. They also are not telling you what the repair actually costs or how long it takes. (I know these things vary but some cost and time estimate should be possible)
So when you finally manage to get your phone to them it takes at least two weeks to get it back (judging by what other people on the internet say). They also only allow payment via bank transfer which takes a couple of days to process.
poo poo when i broke my Moto X i just punched my details into a website, had an email with a shipping label within 5 minutes and the repaired phone (paid via PayPal) back within a week.
This is great service for a 1000€ phone!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah don't buy google phones if you're outside the US because they don't give a gently caress about you.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Should maybe change the thread title then.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, its still a great phone and i wouldn't exchange it for anything else on the market right now. I'm pretty loving happy with it.
Just the support for dumbasses who drop bottles on their phones could be better...

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
So, my 2 year old nexus 5x has finally bit the bullet and has the dreaded boot loop issue.

I'm in the UK with a budget of around £250 for a SIM unlocked phone.

I've read through the last few pages of thread, and people have mentioned that Moto are dropping the ball a bit with updates, so maybe the Moto g5s plus isn't a good choice now?

Reviews of the Nokia 6 don't seem that great, so I've been looking at the Honor 7x.

Anybody had any experience with the 7x?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Roid666 posted:

So, my 2 year old nexus 5x has finally bit the bullet and has the dreaded boot loop issue.

I've read through the last few pages of thread, and people have mentioned that Moto are dropping the ball a bit with updates, so maybe the Moto g5s plus isn't a good choice now?

Reviews of the Nokia 6 don't seem that great, so I've been looking at the Honor 7x.

The 2018 Nokia 6 isn't released yet; the info you've read is probably for last year's phone. Phone naming is idiotic. Early info for the 2018 model looks awesome. It's only weeks away.

The G5+ is fine but again, the G6 is only weeks away.

Basically this is the worst time to need a good budget phone ASAP. :rip:

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 9, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I was pretty surprised to get the offer from Google of a free Home Mini due to my Pixel 2 purchase. Happy days, my bedroom is now a direct line to GCHQ.

On another note, I take it there's no word about any updates Google might do for Pixel 2? Like, allowing you to customise the squeeze function, or actually choose which of your home screens is the default instead of having to either have the Now feed or nothing?
I've never owned a Google product before so I have no real idea how recalcitrant or otherwise they might be on this sort of stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

El Grillo posted:

On another note, I take it there's no word about any updates Google might do for Pixel 2? Like, allowing you to customise the squeeze function, or actually choose which of your home screens is the default instead of having to either have the Now feed or nothing?
I've never owned a Google product before so I have no real idea how recalcitrant or otherwise they might be on this sort of stuff.

No. Do any phone makers do this?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Roid666 posted:

Maybe look into the Xiaomi Mi A4. Chinese phone, but with Android One so mostly stock and with timely updates.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

El Grillo posted:

So I was pretty surprised to get the offer from Google of a free Home Mini due to my Pixel 2 purchase. Happy days, my bedroom is now a direct line to GCHQ.

You can download a new launcher, and replace the home screen entirely.

Nova Launcher
Action Launcher

Are the two biggest, I use Action Launcher, but honestly I don't know why, I don't do anything different with it than the stock launcher. However, they give you a HUGE degree of customization over the launcher, including the change you requested.

You can also remap the squeeze:
https://www.xda-developers.com/remap-active-edge-squeeze-google-pixel-2/
However, don't go to XDA for anything it's full of full on sperglords. Just use the Edge Squeeze like Google intended.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, my car is pretty lovely about this. 2015 Dodge with Uconnect. When I had my Moto X, it would connect automatically ~50% of the time, the other 50% it would pair for a few minutes but I couldn't use any media controls, then disconnect for a minute or two, than re-connect and work fine after that.

Now on my Pixel 2 XL, it connects fine every time but I lost the ability to hold down the skip track button to seek inside the track.

Trading the car in at the end of the month though so hopefully whatever car I get next won't have these problems.

Hopefully you can get one with Android Auto support.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

frameset posted:

Hopefully you can get one with Android Auto support.

My parents got a Kia Optima that has Carplay/AA support and it's pretty sweet. I just run AA on my phone right now though, so it's not like I'm really missing much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really like my current car (2010 Civic) but wouldn't mind modding it to have an AA display.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really like my current car (2010 Civic) but wouldn't mind modding it to have an AA display.

It's funny because my car has a "nice" (for a car) 8 inch display and it's loving useless because no carplay/AA.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Putting a Sony AX100 into my WRX with full steering wheel control and Google Assistant bound to the voice command button was stupid easy and I'm mad I didn't do it sooner.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Putting a Sony AX100 into my WRX with full steering wheel control and Google Assistant bound to the voice command button was stupid easy and I'm mad I didn't do it sooner.

subie bro detected

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

You have an older WRX, don't you? I have a 2014 and I'd be interested in how you did this. Would you mind posting your thoughts and/or process in this thread or the Subaru thread?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Internet Explorer posted:

You have an older WRX, don't you? I have a 2014 and I'd be interested in how you did this. Would you mind posting your thoughts and/or process in this thread or the Subaru thread?

Prob just using an off the shelf steering wheel adapter. Wires from the steering wheel plug usually to a minijack that fits into the back of the head unit.

Put your car in crutchfield and it will show you all the parts you need.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have an '11 so same stereo and hookups as a '14. You actually don't need a controller for that Sony head unit. You just have to hack apart a 3.5mm headphone cord and wire in the three wires to the wiring harness adapter and the head unit can map them natively. It also apparently works on the '15+ too.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2815667&page=2

See post 28.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

^^^ thanks for this ^^^

Don Lapre posted:

Prob just using an off the shelf steering wheel adapter. Wires from the steering wheel plug usually to a minijack that fits into the back of the head unit.

Put your car in crutchfield and it will show you all the parts you need.

Oh, interesting - thank you. Does not seem that difficult. When I had heard about "wiring harnesses" in the past I thought it included some insanity, but that looks fairly straight forward.

[Edit: Sorry, 1 last question. Would this work with the underseat subwoofer I had installed at the dealer, or would that likely take a bunch more work? I imagine it's somehow spliced into the head unit further down or the new head unit has an equivalent place to plug it in, but I've never dealt with car audio stuff so I'm clueless.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 9, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It took me about an hour to wire up the adapter, but I'm color blind so I had to phone a friend for confirmation on a few.

Once the adapter was wired to the harness that came with the car, it was literally plug and play for 3 connections (harness, antenna, and USB adapter to retain center console factory port.)

I could revert back to stock in less than 15 minutes. None of the factory wiring was touched.

The worst quirk about that head unit is that you have to click through a "I won't stare at the screen and wreck" every time the car starts and sometimes the date/time resets which breaks AA until you fix it (time mismatch leads to security breaking.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 9, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Internet Explorer posted:

^^^ thanks for this ^^^

Oh, interesting - thank you. Does not seem that difficult. When I had heard about "wiring harnesses" in the past I thought it included some insanity, but that looks fairly straight forward.

[Edit: Sorry, 1 last question. Would this work with the underseat subwoofer I had installed at the dealer, or would that likely take a bunch more work? I imagine it's somehow spliced into the head unit further down or the new head unit has an equivalent place to plug it in, but I've never dealt with car audio stuff so I'm clueless.]

Wiring harnesses now are this

Find your car in the chart

Red wire goes to red wire
white wire goes to purple wire with grey stripe
black wire goes to green wire, etc...

Its simple as poo poo and you dont have to modify your factory wiring.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A whole bunch of my icons look dumb because they're stuck inside of a white circle. The Gmail icon is an envelope in a white circle, the awful app icon is the frog in a white circle, etc. I remember these used to just be the symbol itself without a circle around it, how do I get back to that?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Go into the launcher settings and see if there is a setting for icon styles. If there isn't, install a different launcher I guess

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Go into the launcher settings and see if there is a setting for icon styles. If there isn't, install a different launcher I guess

How would I find launcher settings? I'm using the default pixel 2 launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Long press an empty space on the home screen and tap settings