Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
It's pretty awesome that anyone I've argued with over Bitcoin their only defense is "b-b-but, Blockchain and Technology!"

It reminds me of "every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" and bitcoin is basically magic to its supporters.

edit:
https://i.imgur.com/4HwPNba.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's slightly dated now, but I finally got around to listening to the Opening Arguments podcast on Stormy Daniels and it's still a definite pro-click. The NDA or settlement is pretty much invalid on multiple levels.

It's a real good listen but you want to follow up with some of the later podcasts; IIRC they walked back some of their bolder claims.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Prester Jane posted:

Accelerated Christian Education literally got its start in a Northern Dallas suburb. (For those who don't know A.C.E. was the pioneer for white supremacists running home/private schools- they literally paved the way for what has become the modern ideal of "conservative" education.)

Not surprising. I think dallas is still number one in number of churches per capita. That and strip clubs

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now imagine if the Dems had a Jeremy Corbyn type to fire up the base or at least a coherent message...

Even without those two things, younger voters already seem to be fired up, all on their own, for extremely good reason. They abhor the NRA, and which party supports the NRA? There's carpoolvote. There's a goon running for local government (God save us all.)

If the party itself can't/won't do these things, should we just throw our hands up in the air and wail at the sky about how useless it all is? Or do it ourselves?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 9, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

Its also resulting in a lot of Christian kids failing to get into college because ACE really skimps on the Science and Math.

Divesting in your child's future to own the libs?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Senor Tron posted:

You're probably right, but it's worth pointing out that at this stage of his first term Reagan was showing job approval ratings of around 40%.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/11887/ronald-reagan-from-peoples-perspective-gallup-poll-review.aspx

Yes, but at this stage in his presidency, the economy was still in the depths of a horrible recession and stagflation hadn't broken yet.

edit: So, I mean, if Trump's tax cut and trade wars and level-headed confidence-boosting tweet campaign leads to 7% annual GDP growth, we can certainly discuss Trump's re-election chances in terrified awe

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 9, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KickerOfMice posted:

Even without those two things, younger voters already seem to be fired up, all on their own, for extremely good reason. They abhor the NRA, and which party supports the NRA? There's carpoolvote. There's a goon running for local government (God save us all.)

If the party itself can't do these things, should we just throw our hands up in the air and wail at the sky about how useless it all is? Or do it ourselves?
I hope they do turn out and vote in big numbers. I was mainly pointing out how much of a failure the DNC is that they are sitting on their hands while the worst president we’ve ever seen is destroying the country and they still in a midterm year haven’t figured out how to attack him properly.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CommieGIR posted:

Its also resulting in a lot of Christian kids failing to get into college because ACE really skimps on the Science and Math.

Not just that, it completely carves any semblance of critical or creative thinking out of their heads. If I remember correctly from PJ's earlier thread on ACE, it functionally boils down to simply memorizing trivia about the various subjects, and uses that teaching method to also push the mindset of obeying your elders (aka: I'm telling you that the answer to X is YZ, and if you put that down you will be right, so always believe me in all things).

So these kids finally reach real world education (either HS when forced or college somehow) and have exams and homework that require you to actually apply the concepts to similar or tricky situations, but not the exact same problem from the course material, so they bluescreen, lose their loving minds, and start yelling at the professor in the middle of a test that he's trying to gently caress with them by changing the questions.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

A.CE. is quite literally designed to leave its victims functionally incapable of participating in modern society on their own terms- graduates of A.C.E basically have no prospects for the future outside of working to advance the political agenda of the Council for National Policy. And you don't need math and science getting in the way of creating hyper motivated political zealots.

A.C.E. is designed purely as a weapon for the culture wars and has absolutely no considerations for any other purpose.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CommieGIR posted:

Which is kind of hilarious. Homeschool parent: "I can teach my kid as good as those liberal public schools!" College: "Nope." As well, people tolerate K-12 homeschooling but that poo poo stops at the college level and they have (nearly) no choice but to outsource it.

At my college I keep seeing signs for an upcoming Turning Point USA event but they keep getting taken down. I have a mind to do it myself but every time I am on my way back from break it's taken down again. Fun fact: guy who "runs" these events against the left/college didn't go to college himself.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

paternity suitor posted:

According to the Freedom Index, the best places to live are...

*shuffles papers*

New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and Indiana.

Well OK. I'm going to...I'm going to just live in hell. Yeah, I'll just stay in liberal hell, we have no freedoms, stay away conservatives. You can have Indiana.

New Hampshire's freedom is basically based on being a parasite state to Massachusetts who does thing like educate their citizens and provide jobs and infrastructure, so truly the libertarian dream when you think about it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My high school wasn't accredited by ACE, but it was by a similar organization. We were the ones sending kids off to argue with their professors about evolution. Unsurprisingly many of the kids I went to high school wth are still there as teachers.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Crain posted:

Not just that, it completely carves any semblance of critical or creative thinking out of their heads. If I remember correctly from PJ's earlier thread on ACE, it functionally boils down to simply memorizing trivia about the various subjects, and uses that teaching method to also push the mindset of obeying your elders (aka: I'm telling you that the answer to X is YZ, and if you put that down you will be right, so always believe me in all things).

So these kids finally reach real world education (either HS when forced or college somehow) and have exams and homework that require you to actually apply the concepts to similar or tricky situations, but not the exact same problem from the course material, so they bluescreen, lose their loving minds, and start yelling at the professor in the middle of a test that he's trying to gently caress with them by changing the questions.

This video is from a British activist (who until his retirement last month was the world's foremost authority on A.C.E.). In it he breaks down a three-week segment of what would be freshman year world history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 9, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope they do turn out and vote in big numbers. I was mainly pointing out how much of a failure the DNC is that they are sitting on their hands while the worst president we’ve ever seen is destroying the country and they still in a midterm year haven’t figured out how to attack him properly.

Okay, I get you. Here's hoping the midterms will at least cripple the gently caress out of anything these idiots want to accomplish. When they will decide on anything TO accomplish - The only thing the republican party has really managed legislatively so far is to destroy what they're in charge of, and torch anything Obama accomplished.
Primaries and turnout. I think it's possible, and probable.

I guess the attack should be mostly directed at republican politicians, not T-bagz himself. Everybody knows he's a hot-headed pussygrabber with no shame . Republicans find excuses for all of his obvious bullshit, hold them to face the fire, not the fireproof clown.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Prester Jane posted:

This video is from a British activist (who until his retirement last month was the world's foremost authority on A.C.E.). In it he breaks down a three-week segment of what would be freshman year world history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

How does poo poo like this, which is so steeped in Americanism, export to other countries? :psyduck:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

It's a real good listen but you want to follow up with some of the later podcasts; IIRC they walked back some of their bolder claims.

Who hasn't had to walk back at least 1, 2..3...a dozen 'this matters' predictions during Trump's 5 years in Office.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Crain posted:

How does poo poo like this, which is so steeped in Americanism, export to other countries? :psyduck:

America is the world.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Verranicus posted:

America is the world.

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QON6SSMLcC8

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Well, that's just uninformed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I finally saw Black Panther this weekend. I had a real hard time disagreeing with the thrust of the villain's grievances with Wakanda although I think maybe you were supposed to see his point but not his methods.

He also had probably the most :stare: death line I've ever seen in a Marvel movie: "Just bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who jumped from ships, 'cause they knew death was better than bondage."

If y'all haven't seen it yet you should.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Spoken like a true un-American.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Exclusive: As elections near, many older, educated, white voters shift away from Trump's party

quote:

Older, white, educated voters helped Donald Trump win the White House in 2016. Now, they are trending toward Democrats in such numbers that their ballots could tip the scales in tight congressional races from New Jersey to California, a new Reuters/Ipsos poll and a data analysis of competitive districts shows.

Nationwide, whites over the age of 60 with college degrees now favor Democrats over Republicans for Congress by a 2-point margin, according to Reuters/Ipsos opinion polling during the first three months of the year. During the same period in 2016, that same group favored Republicans for Congress by 10 percentage points.

The 12-point swing is one of the largest shifts in support toward Democrats that the Reuters/Ipsos poll has measured over the past two years. If that trend continues, Republicans will struggle to keep control of the House of Representatives, and possibly the Senate, in the November elections, potentially dooming President Donald Trump’s legislative agenda.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Educated" needs to be dropped from any demographic that swung toward Trump and now feels suddenly betrayed.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Crain posted:

Serious answer: it's all secretly funded by bugfuck insane American billionaires who are very aware that they are conducting a culture war against the very concept of human empathy. Betsy Devos for example is being advised on how to remake American Education by the council for National policy, and the council for National policy is the political Network that both help refine A.C.E. into its current form as well as provided it decades of legislative protection. (The Texas RFRA law was modified in the late 90s by George W bush to specifically protect Ace facilities from virtually all forms of State oversight.)

A.C.E. is primarily the product of megarich sociopaths attempting to use their considerable resources to remake the world in their own image. They use America as sort of a test bed for their wild-rear end programs, and anything that is moderately successful they simply export to anywhere else in the world that they can.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 9, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thank you for this

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

"Educated" needs to be dropped from any demographic that swung toward Trump and now feels suddenly betrayed.

:toot: lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gentle reminder that Democrats are the masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

So don't get your hopes up too much. We still have six months until the midterms and a lot can happen during that time.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

It is an excellent reminder that intelligent and educated are not interchangeable.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't trust old white people. Trust only yourself.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't trust old white people. Trust only yourself.

OLD WHITE PEOPLE WILL NEVER HELP YOU!
ONLY TRUST YOUR VOTES!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Trust the police.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Where were you when Saddam fell and then sort of just awkwardly dangled there?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/983347660441702401

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

There aren't a lot of 'investers' who churn their 'portfolios' the way Coiners do. Like if I sell stock at a high profit, it's likely I've held on to that for awhile and won't pay as much in taxes. Or if I'm selling employer granted shares, taxes are likely to be withheld at the time of execution.

These guys are essentially day traders and house flippers, but with absolutely no knowledge of anything they're doing and it's glorious to watch.

To elaborate a little more: a lot of buttcoiners churn their "portfolios", trading various imaginary unregistered securities for various other imaginary nonsense. They generate capital gains every time they do this at a "profit" just like if I sell all my microsoft shares and buy apple shares with it as well. But they're dumb as poo poo because they think that they're the first people to try to evade tax law by trading imaginary nonsense instead of actual things so they don't bother taking out Actual Money from the transaction to pay the taxes.

So 2017 ends, and they have a pile of various flavors of buttcoins and a large capital gains tax bill. They owe a lot of Actual Money to the IRS. But here's where the real fun part comes in: their buttholdings have collapsed in value over this year. They're massively in the red. They may not have that much ActualMoney - what they have done, in essence, is leveraged themselves. They effectively borrowed ActualMoney from themselves to invest in more buttcoins, and lost it all. So their losses are much bigger than they realize.

But, you might ask, don't those capital losses wipe out the capital gains? Nope! Because all those capital losses are in this tax year, not last years'. They owe their taxes based on last year's gains and can't apply this years's losses to them (and from what I understand but didn't look up to confirm, short-term capital losses, like they've incurred, basically can't be carried forward to future tax years and are basically worthless).

Plus, they probably didn't report any of this poo poo to the IRS, but the IRS seized their trading records from Coinbase so they're going to start digging and start bankrupting some fools as an object lesson.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

New Hampshire's freedom is basically based on being a parasite state to Massachusetts who does thing like educate their citizens and provide jobs and infrastructure, so truly the libertarian dream when you think about it.

“Wow, why don’t those moron Tax-achusetts residents get that the best places to live have small government and low taxes!?” (Works in Mass, sends kids to college in Boston, goes to museums, concerts and sporting events in Boston)

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

KickerOfMice posted:

OLD WHITE PEOPLE WILL NEVER HELP YOU!
ONLY TRUST YOUR VOTES!

Corollary:

Verranicus posted:

Trust the police.

No

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

enraged_camel posted:

Gentle reminder that Democrats are the masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

So don't get your hopes up too much. We still have six months until the midterms and a lot can happen during that time.

Not to mention all the people who say that they hate trump and threaten to vote Democrat right before they submit a straight red ticket.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fifteen years ago. Christ. And that was supposed to be the end of the war.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

enraged_camel posted:

you're right 2006 is fiction

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Remember they could only use angles that hid how few people showed up to that.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Yeah If only I could photoshop that one. Alas, I can only type it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Verranicus posted: