Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would not play Episode Ignis until after beating the game. Otherwise, looks fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Don't do Ignis til you beat the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I finally beat FF12 after owning it on PS2, getting far and stopping, and then restarting for the PS4.

I just have to say that the ending pretty much came out of nowhere. When I did what I consider to be the final dungeon, I had no idea it was the final dungeon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Greyarc posted:

Was going to skip FF15, but after hearing about the story improvements in this thread decided to give it a go with PC version.

Watched Kingsglaive first as recommended. Movie was better than expected, still trash but was fun trash and had lots of eyecandy for fans of FF14 and FF6-style aesthetics. Wasn't expecting Lunafreya to be the most competent and badass character. Too bad they decided she was too badass to live in the game, not looking forward to seeing her get killed right away. :rant: Movie's definitely best watched with someone else who knows Final Fantasy stuff. We were joking that during the scene where the General kills the King, the reason he just stands there in a ~cool pose~ afterwards is because he's going through the victory screen in his head, getting loads of exp for that sweet King Lucis boss kill. After watching the movie, we immediately started the game up. Was a neat transition from movie to game, got us both pretty hyped.

Anyway, looking forward to playing the game. Hope Noctis is smarter than his Dad.

Is recommended DLC order still:

?

That was posted prior to Ignis coming out. Do NOT do Ignis until you've finished the game.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also don't start up Comrades until after you've finished Chapter 13

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

All right, so:

Gladio: When he leaves the party for a bit.
Prompto: When he leaves the party for a bit.
Comrades: after chapter 13.
Ignis: Post-game.

Good to know. Thanks guys!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, Ignis begins during the trip to Venice but it covers the entire game's story after that point, including the ending. So it's best to wait.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

WoFF - pc or ps4?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Doesn't really make much difference, both of them are frame locked to 30 fps. PC version probably has better load times I guess.

(I managed to hack up the game to run at 60fps but the cutscenes all broke spectacularly)

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

victrix posted:

WoFF - pc or ps4?

If you have a AMD graphics card get it on PS4. AMD has severe issues with anything that is remotely transparent in the game for some reason.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

That’s because Nvidia is The Way It’s Meant To Be Played

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I need episode Aranea right now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lucas Archer posted:

I’m really confused by this comparison. FF15 oozes final fantasy, for better or worse.

Gologle posted:

That's a very strange comparison. Would you mind explaining?

Really? I thought it was pretty clear. You control a single character at a time, down from the typical FF party setup. . A lot of sidequests that involve talking to a guy then running around the world looking for things. Literal contract monster killing sidequests (core part of the witcher).

Like I don't think they based it off of the witcher 100%, the game was in development for a billion years. But they clearly took cues from Western RPGs - it's easy to say people don't buy RPGs anymore to blame for an FF game being dissapointing, when Skyrim and Fallout and Witcher games sell 20m+ copies an installment it's pretty clear they just aren't buying your RPGs.

They even have the old school games they keep putting out with their new team (Setsuna, Bravely Default, etc) and I think universally they sell less?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty clear. You control a single character at a time, down from the typical FF party setup. . A lot of sidequests that involve talking to a guy then running around the world looking for things. Literal contract monster killing sidequests (core part of the witcher).

Like I don't think they based it off of the witcher 100%, the game was in development for a billion years. But they clearly took cues from Western RPGs - it's easy to say people don't buy RPGs anymore to blame for an FF game being dissapointing, when Skyrim and Fallout and Witcher games sell 20m+ copies an installment it's pretty clear they just aren't buying your RPGs.

They even have the old school games they keep putting out with their new team (Setsuna, Bravely Default, etc) and I think universally they sell less?

The things that make final fantasy what it is and isn't and has never been the actual gameplay.

Its the music, the plot elements, the recurrent spells, items and themes.

That and Square called it Final Fantasy 15, therefore it is a final fantasy game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You control one character in the MMOs, not to mention all the various solo sections in the earlier games. Older games also have a lot of “travel around the world” sidequests, like FF9’s coffee collection and Chocobo Hot & Cold. Monster contracts were a huge part of FF12 and had a presence in FF13’s post-game too.

quote:

There’s no doubt they took a lot of cues from Western RPGs, it’s more that you said it didn’t feel like a Final Fantasy game when it still has those classic elements and that same goofy charm the other games have.

quote:

Bravely does fine for what it is, enough to get a sequel and for the team to develop a new IP for the Switch. Setsuna apparently did well enough that the company made Lost Sphear, but then both of those are pretty mediocre anyway, with Lost Sphear arguably overpriced for what it is. These games aren’t huge hits, but they’re also niche games focused on a specific audience that grew up with the genre, compared to stuff like Skyrim and Witcher 3 which are AAA games that have universally high critical reception, solid marketing, and coming from already popular series.

FF15 definitely feels a bit like a western game, but it’s also by far still a Final Fantasy game in my eyes. It’s a goofy game with awkward-yet-endearing characters in a dumb plot that doesn’t really matter, how much more Final Fantasy can you get?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Imo FFXII and FFXV are the only games where the dumb plot truly doesnt matter because the plot isnt shoved down your throat and you can just gently caress around doing whatever

My kind of JRPG really

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 8, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Aren't there mercenaries in about every post FFV-game other than X?

VI: Shadow
VII: Cloud
VIII: SeeD
IX: Amarant
XII: Hunts
XIII: Well, the Cie'th Stone system in a way
XV: Hunts redux

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just chumped Ultros at the very fun opera scene and now I'm in Vector. What should I be doing with Espers? I didn't pay a ton of attention during the tutorial but I guess they're just ways to teach everyone magic? Right now I have Sabin with Kirin, Locke with Stray, Celes with Siren, and Edgar with Ramuh. I'm assuming I can't really gently caress this up since I can swap them around at will, but is there something I should be working on?

I'm probably gonna just go through the whole game with this team, or probably Terra instead of Celes once I get her back. Will I be missing much by not using the other characters?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

apophenium posted:

Just chumped Ultros at the very fun opera scene and now I'm in Vector. What should I be doing with Espers? I didn't pay a ton of attention during the tutorial but I guess they're just ways to teach everyone magic? Right now I have Sabin with Kirin, Locke with Stray, Celes with Siren, and Edgar with Ramuh. I'm assuming I can't really gently caress this up since I can swap them around at will, but is there something I should be working on?

I'm probably gonna just go through the whole game with this team, or probably Terra instead of Celes once I get her back. Will I be missing much by not using the other characters?

You get stat boosts with certain espers by having them equipped when you gain a level, but the game’s generally easy enough that it’s not something you should really worry about. Might as well focus on learning spells.

There are instances in the end game where you need two or three parties, including the final dungeon, so it won’t hurt to focus on multiple characters, but it’s also something I wouldn’t worry about until the second half of the game.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Coming off a XV bender I installed XIII-2 which I gave up on some years ago I think from the framerate problems and crashing on PC, but I'm back to give it another shot. Um, I have no idea what is going on or what I'm supposed to be doing. My cloud save loaded up at 9 hours or something in and I have nooo clue where I'm supposed to go or what my goal is. Help? Purty please?

This is what my screen looks like:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Coming off a XV bender I installed XIII-2 which I gave up on some years ago I think from the framerate problems and crashing on PC, but I'm back to give it another shot. Um, I have no idea what is going on or what I'm supposed to be doing. My cloud save loaded up at 9 hours or something in and I have nooo clue where I'm supposed to go or what my goal is. Help? Purty please?

This is what my screen looks like:

If you can't beat the giant flan in Sunleth, go to Archylte and beat the boss there. Also visit the Coliseum - if you don't get a cutscene when you first arrive, it means you've already been there and gotten what you need.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

victrix posted:

WoFF - pc or ps4?

It crashed for me like clockwork every 15 minutes so I gave up and had to refund it.

It's also not a super great game and its core mirage system has several not well thought out things, but its easy as hell and for the first 15 of the games 21 chapters at least being aware you have items that heal or deal damage is difficulty curve obliterating for bosses.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

If you can't beat the giant flan in Sunleth, go to Archylte and beat the boss there. Also visit the Coliseum - if you don't get a cutscene when you first arrive, it means you've already been there and gotten what you need.

No cutscene at the Coliseum, I think I beat the giant flan already? I remember fighting one, and here's what my map looks like at Sunleth:

When I loaded in it popped me out of the gate with the !, and I think the flan was in the big open area I'm looking at that's empty. Off to check Archylte. Thanks! e: Oh I already wandered around Achylte a bit and I found a giant cactuar that totally effs me up (dunno if underleveled for it or I just be terrible at combat while I shake the rust) and a gate that doesn't unlock until I figure out something to do. Huh.

ee: OK I'm gamefaqs-ing it based on what ya said and I think I have to gently caress around with a weather machine and stuff and my save is somewhere in the middle of this quest. Groovy. I'm still re-figuring out how the hell to read the crux menu and stuff to see what to do but have a jump off point at least. 'Preciate it!

eee: ohhh I just had to walk up to that gate with the ! and press it to use the item I already had. Well there's an exciting like near hour start to trying XIII-2 out again before hitting the bed lol.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 9, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Have fun in Academia :getin:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Have fun in Academia :getin:

Hey, it has some really awesome music

Good place to grind CP, too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oldie but a goodie.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cloud's way too insecure imo to carry around a big hog.

Zack though, definitely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

who's the most bashful ff protag with nothing to prove. that's who has the biggest dick

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

who's the most bashful ff protag with nothing to prove. that's who has the biggest dick

I mean, we always knew Ramza had serious stones.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Krile?!??

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

CeallaSo posted:

My understanding was that the Sephiroth clones in the town were created from the corpses of the original Nibelheim villagers, who still regard Cloud as one of them and want to help him. Otherwise it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Ten pages or so back so muchos apologies but just catching up on the thread. What really helps hit home the "Oh my god, gently caress Hojo, everything is his fault" for me on my most recent playthrough was this:

In the Kalm flashbacks, the house with the attic has two kids running round in it. In the presenr there are two or three clones lurking about. Two upstairs, one being really tiny. I always thought it was a comical goof. "Whoops we hosed up this model's height!"

Nope. I realised that Hojo had been experimenting on children. Those clones are the children from the flashback. It was a really creepy realisation that I must've either missed or glossed over in the dozen or so times I played the game when I was younger. gently caress Hojo, the monster.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's pretty sobering to realize that Cloud's mom had a better fate than half the villagers because she died in the fire rather than being subject to Hojo.

The weird thing about VII is that we never find out what happened to Zangan after he dropped Tifa off to get better. He just... disappears aside from his letter to her.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, we always knew Ramza had serious stones.

Makes sense. After all, Ramza's the type of guy who goes to a bar and orders milk.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I managed to get FF1, 2, 3, and 4 for PSP!

I didn't even know FF3 had a PSP version but her we are. I know you guys said FF1 is pretty good on PSP but I've played FF1 to death and would only play the PSP version to see the differences. I've never played FF2 or FF3. I read the advice for FF2 but you guys didn't mention FF3 for PSP. Is that version still stupidly hard? Anything I should know?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of FF7, I'm finally getting around to it on the PS4 and am thinking about going for platinum. I will have to start another playthrough for the Barret date trophy, but I got the one for Cloud getting picked by Don Corneo and Aeris's final limit. I think my current playthrough isn't missing anything I need for the rest. How do you get the master summoner materia for that trophy? I know I'm in for some grinding for the rest of the limit break achievements and the level 99 and the max Gil achievements, but are these all things that can be done together? And what about chocobo breeding for the knights of the round cheevo? Is it only terrible if you aren't using a guide and know exactly what to do or is there enough rng involved that it will make me want to kill myself?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

All gold chocobo breeding info can be gleaned in game but it's obtuse to find and awkward to get the information from the NPC because you have to keep coming and going back to him for updates. If you found the Aeris limit break without any trouble or referring to a guide then you're probably smart enough to find all the info you need in game. I'd say just use a guide and save yourself the trouble.

Master Summon Materia requires you to master every summon materia in the game including Knights of the Round, then go up to the huge materia in Bugenhagen's observatory and examine the huge materia there. It'll swap all your mastered summon materia for the Master Summon materia, so hold on to any baby materias of really good summons. This also goes for Command and Magic materia.

There are two very specific rooms in the northern crater that have enemies which net you an absurd amount of exp, gil and AP. Abuse these like crazy for levels/money/materia especially if you have exp plus and gil plus materia from the Gold Saucer.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 9, 2018

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I managed to get FF1, 2, 3, and 4 for PSP!

I didn't even know FF3 had a PSP version but her we are. I know you guys said FF1 is pretty good on PSP but I've played FF1 to death and would only play the PSP version to see the differences. I've never played FF2 or FF3. I read the advice for FF2 but you guys didn't mention FF3 for PSP. Is that version still stupidly hard? Anything I should know?

3 PSP is the same game as 3 DS. Enjoy (?)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DeadButDelicious posted:

All gold chocobo breeding info can be gleaned in game but it's obtuse to find and awkward to get the information from the NPC because you have to keep coming and going back to him for updates. If you found the Aeris limit break without any trouble or referring to a guide then you're probably smart enough to find all the info you need in game. I'd say just use a guide and save yourself the trouble.

Master Summon Materia requires you to master every summon materia in the game including Knights of the Round, then go up to the huge materia in Bugenhagen's observatory and examine the huge materia there. It'll swap all your mastered summon materia for the Master Summon materia, so hold on to any baby materias of really good summons. This also goes for Command and Magic materia.

There are two very specific rooms in the northern crater that have enemies which net you an absurd amount of exp, gil and AP. Abuse these like crazy for levels/money/materia especially if you have exp plus and gil plus materia from the Gold Saucer.

Oh god. Yeah... I might just get all the limits and call it good. Master summoner sounds terrible. I thought it didn't require ALL summon materia to be mastered, but that just seems like an insane amount of grinding even with the crater area. At least there's a x3 speed boost in this version? :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Oh god. Yeah... I might just get all the limits and call it good. Master summoner sounds terrible. I thought it didn't require ALL summon materia to be mastered, but that just seems like an insane amount of grinding even with the crater area. At least there's a x3 speed boost in this version? :shepicide:

There are some weapons/armour you can obtain that have double or triple materia growth attributed in them (I think Cid had a polearm with triple and Cloud definitely has a sword) which makes it less painful. Except KotR which requires an absurd amount of AP to master. Those definitely take the edge off of the grind but I'd you have a TV show to catch up on...