Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
eyyyy im just askin questions heah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
assad bad israel bad saudi bad... and get this: america bad

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
tjats my take anyway

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

GWBBQ posted:

Reports coming in that US warships have fired cruise missiles at Syria, unidentified aircraft are flying over Lebanon, and Syrian Air Defense is fighting hostile targets in Homs.

its israel hitting iranian or hizbollah targets imo. lol if it really is israel and they violated lebanese airspace tho

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Frijolero posted:

to be clear, none of the accusations have been verified and the photos and video are coming from Western backed sources

I'm not saying Assad didn't do it, but you're a real loving dipshit if you think it's cool and good to use unverified evidence to bomb people.
Photos show a modified chlorine bomb almost identical to one previously dropped by Syrian forces, but yeah, definitely not enough time to verify.

the great deceiver posted:

its israel hitting iranian or hizbollah targets imo. lol if it really is israel and they violated lebanese airspace tho
Looks like just missiles flying over Lebanon. They've done it in the past.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GWBBQ posted:

Photos show a modified chlorine bomb almost identical to one previously dropped by Syrian forces, but yeah, definitely not enough time to verify.

Oh gently caress off, it's still not independently verified and you know it. Even the BBC and NYT refuse to go anywhere farther than "suspected" or "alleged"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

man iran looking pretty dumb agreeing to not develop nukes right now

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
could iran rly develop/miniaturize nukes to strap them to icbms or w/e quickly enough to be a credible deterrent or would they just get blown up and invaded by israel and the us like way before it got to that stage. didnt israel just claim that they blew up the syrian nuke program

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Israel bombed an "alleged" Syrian nuclear materials facility in 2007.

But that's easy as it was right next door.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
wait iran doesnt even have icbms right

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iran has missiles, but no nukes and a less than stellar airforce

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

if i was israel i would absolutely be using the confusion around syria right now re: trumps statements and the douma chemical attack to take out targets of opportunity. its really a win-win for them all around

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Frijolero posted:

Oh gently caress off, it's still not independently verified and you know it. Even the BBC and NYT refuse to go anywhere farther than "suspected" or "alleged"
I meant that to mean we haven't had the time to verify and still need to, but I see why it came across as dismissive. Sorry about that.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GWBBQ posted:

I meant that to mean we haven't had the time to verify and still need to, but I see why it came across as dismissive. Sorry about that.

I read your "but yeah, definitely" as sarcasm. Sorry!

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

the great deceiver posted:

if i was israel i would absolutely be using the confusion around syria right now re: trumps statements and the douma chemical attack to take out targets of opportunity. its really a win-win for them all around

if I was Israel I'd march into the sea

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frijolero posted:

but brownmoses said!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Michael Bayleaf posted:

:krakken: :shittydog:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/handymayhem/status/982968962722955264

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Michael Bayleaf posted:

goes without sayin

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
if the rebels are constantly gassing themselves why do they never use them against regime forces or their allies?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Listen I'm not saying we should invade Iraq, I mean Libya, I mean Syria, Im just saying Something Must Be Done!!!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Sadam I mean Assad is gassing his own citizens! Gaddafi I mean Assad has rape rooms! We have to support these moderates in Yemen I mean Syria!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
forreal though youd think takfiri psychos would relish the chance to use nerve gas on shia kuffars but they just use it on themselves :iiam:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
hmm we should probably say that things that are true are false because someone in power might do some thing

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Listen, whether Assad gassed his own citizens despite the US planning on pulling out of Syria in the immediate future and the civil war being all but over is beside the point. The point is SOMETHING 👏 MUST 👏 BE 👏 DONE👏

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cargo cult posted:

could iran rly develop/miniaturize nukes to strap them to icbms or w/e quickly enough to be a credible deterrent or would they just get blown up and invaded by israel and the us like way before it got to that stage. didnt israel just claim that they blew up the syrian nuke program

if I recall my Arms Control Wonk Blog, Iran has medium range ballistic missiles - enough to maybe hit parts of Europe and most of the Middle East, but not much farther than that. They'd need a lot of work to mate them with a nuclear warhead, and they don't really have a nuclear program anyway.

who knows how stupidly Trump is going to handle an attempt to stop them if they ever tried, but it could come down to giving Israel tanker support and letting them overfly Iraq, and I'd consider more than likely that it would come to that if Iran ever did try to pursue nukes, never mind a full-blown invasion.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Is it likely that Al-Nursa and Al-Qaeda along with ISIS will fill the power vacuum after the Assad regime falls with the backing of Salafist Jihadists funded by Saudi Arabia and the GCC, I don't know, that's not what we're talking about, what we're talking about is the Tyrant Assad, and how it's our moral obligation to do SOMETHING about him.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ace of Baes posted:

Pentagon denies, looking like it's probably Israel, also reports of Israel airstrikes in northern Gaza.

https://twitter.com/kendisgibson/status/983246011144470528

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ace of Baes posted:

Listen I'm not saying we should invade Iraq, I mean Libya, I mean Syria, Im just saying Something Must Be Done!!!

cnn owns now, its just four different #resistance cia spooks and Nat Sec Analysts chastising trump for not invading syria immediately

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think assad is a monster rear end in a top hat and hopefully he dies insanely painfully and soon, and lol if you dont think the gov did the gassing, but our main priority as americans should be opposition to any sort of escalated intervention or invasion (unless its handing over weapons to the pkk, which would be good). bolton is the nsa, there is an extremely real chance of him wiggling his mustache at our retard president and getting another war so he can finally get an erection again.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
stfu noob

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cargo cult posted:

forreal though youd think takfiri psychos would relish the chance to use nerve gas on shia kuffars but they just use it on themselves :iiam:

Because of the asymmetrical nature of the war, the rebels can't use chemical weapons if they have them because their ability to support themselves depends on favorable coverage abroad. They need to always be the underdogs beset by a bloodthirsty regime, because a Western intervention is their only hope for success. Even when the underdogs are Jaish al Islam, and are basically rebranded al Qaeda. So the only real utility they can get out of chemical weapons is to use it on people in their area of control and blame it on the government. If they used it on government forces or areas themselves then it becomes a both sides do it situation and there's no chance of intervention. Because journalists won't go into rebel areas out of fear for their life, they completely control the narrative - and Western media trusts groups like the White Helmets unconditionally.

Not saying that's what happened, but it's a plausible reason to doubt the claims until they're verified.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Because of the asymmetrical nature of the war, the rebels can't use chemical weapons if they have them because their ability to support themselves depends on favorable coverage abroad. They need to always be the underdogs beset by a bloodthirsty regime, because a Western intervention is their only hope for success. Even when the underdogs are Jaish al Islam, and are basically rebranded al Qaeda. So the only real utility they can get out of chemical weapons is to use it on people in their area of control and blame it on the government. If they used it on government forces or areas themselves then it becomes a both sides do it situation and there's no chance of intervention. Because journalists won't go into rebel areas out of fear for their life, they completely control the narrative - and Western media trusts groups like the White Helmets unconditionally.

Not saying that's what happened, but it's a plausible reason to doubt the claims until they're verified.
im not a military history guy or even a history guy period but is there any precedent for a faction exclusively reserving a terror weapon for false flag attacks on their own populationsto build up international sympathy? im learning about china during WWII right now and it seems unthinkable in that context anyway 🤔

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at Trump and NATO just letting Turkey and Israel do whatever the gently caress they want

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cargo cult posted:

im not a military history guy or even a history guy period but is there any precedent for a faction exclusively reserving a terror weapon for false flag attacks on their own populationsto build up international sympathy? im learning about china during WWII right now and it seems unthinkable in that context anyway 🤔

Depends on what you mean by "terror weapon." False flag attacks have been done before, but they're usually done as a pretext for a war and not to draw in some kind of foreign intervention.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that these aren't really "their own populations." Jaish al Islam isn't a nation, and they have no moral obligations to the people inside their territory. They're effectively subjects of gang law, and if they can be martyred for the greater purpose of destroying the Syrian state then all the better.

This used to not be plausible at all because wars really used to be different. Western press would only side with natives and foreign peoples if they were the victims of some rival imperial power, but atrocities committed against non-affiliated people in themselves were never a pretext for declaring war. It wasn't until the notion of humanitarian intervention was popularized that the incentives became inverted, and it wasn't until this century that people realized how important it was to control the image of a conflict, and how being on the losing side can become an advantage in propaganda terms.

Nobody has carried out false flags with WMDs like chemical weapons for a number of reasons. For one thing they're too unpredictable. You have to wait for exactly the right kind of weather conditions to make sure you only affect the area that you want to. They also used to be a lot more expensive to make and were meant to be a strategic deterrent, so if you used a chemical weapon on your own people questions would be asked about how the supposed enemy got the weapon and how they deployed it. In Syria's case, the Syrian government had stockpiles of the stuff in the country, and some of it could have easily fallen into rebel hands. So from the rebels' perspective they got free chemical weapons with government stamped delivery systems on them. So the possibility of doing a false flag with a chemical weapon becomes feasible, and you have perfectly plausible deniability.

It doesn't make much sense why the SAA would deploy chemical weapons now when East Ghouta was already almost wrapped up. On the other hand, the Syrians could also be trying to exploit the fact that it doesn't make sense to carry out a revenge attack and cast enough doubt to prevent an intervention. It has to be investigated.

Of course, knowing the truth really doesn't matter either way. Because any significant intervention is going to make the situation worse and draw out the war. If you draw a red line at the use of chemical weapons then some kind of punitive strike makes sense to discourage it ever being done again, but you can't go off half cocked either. If you reactively strike immediately, then it also signals that you're easily manipulated.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

lol at Trump and NATO just letting Turkey and Israel do whatever the gently caress they want

:chaostrump:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
obviously a us intervention would make the situation so much better!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I remember a bunch of "it wouldn't make sense for the Lion Assad to use chemical weapons now, it must be a rebel false flag" takes after every other chemical weapons attack too, including the first one. In the end, it seems to have made a ton of sense: Assad openly shat all over Obama's "red line" and it's worked out just fine for him so far. Does anyone think that Trump is going to be more likely to carry out a humanitarian intervention than Obama was? Chemical weapons have been going off in Syria for literal years at this point, and none of them has led to a meaningful change in the international stance toward Syria.