Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what the gently caress are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Exactly. Instead of putting lipstick on a pig, it really needs to be rebuilt....which is what Arena should have been instead of trying to make MTG work like a completely different game.

How is mtg arena not working like magic?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

There a potential that you won't have to spend $600+ on a deck which is very un-magic.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Many pros play games as a group on MTGO, which is against every other game's TOS (and those games don't even include monetary prizes).

Pretty sure he's saying that they should have improved on the base game of MTG (mana system for one, which their weird double first hand thing kinda accomplishes).

moush fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 9, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sickening posted:

Snarkless answer: because non-draft boosters are different, wildcards, there may be a system that reduces the chance of bad opening hands. Generally it borrows a lot of ideas from Hearthstone.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

dragon enthusiast posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

New thread title?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

I mean I guess it's finally a chance for the game to work like Richard Garfield intended, when he thought players would maybe have 1 or 2 of a given rare from packs they opened. I just don't see why you WANT to spend your time tediously grinding to get cards worth playing with.

The game engine itself is coming along nicely, though it's still a little clunky (I don't like the way tapped cards are represented, for example), but it's not a game that lends itself to Hearthstone-style collecting.

EDIT:

moush posted:

Pretty sure he's saying that they should have improved on the base game of MTG (mana system for one, which their weird double first hand thing kinda accomplishes).

Pretty much. They could have built out the cosmetic side of things like Arena, but keep MTGO-style play but with a competent trading interface.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

moush posted:

Many pros play games as a group on MTGO, which is against every other game's TOS (and those games don't even include monetary prizes).

Some even stream it when they do it. Sam Pardee and friends have up 6 people in a room collectively playing these ptq's and mocs. poo poo is only legal because you can't enforce it but its a little embarrassing that they don't at least make you do it in secret.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I mean I guess it's finally a chance for the game to work like Richard Garfield intended, when he thought players would maybe have 1 or 2 of a given rare from packs they opened. I just don't see why you WANT to spend your time tediously grinding to get cards worth playing with.

The game engine itself is coming along nicely, though it's still a little clunky (I don't like the way tapped cards are represented, for example), but it's not a game that lends itself to Hearthstone-style collecting.

Again, we are far away from what the final look of the card acquisition will look like. Calm down.

As far as the online version not being tcg, good. Paying middle men never made the game any cheaper. That is what happens when you allow trading.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 9, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

there may be a system that reduces the chance of bad opening hands.

I mean they have had a pinned post on the forums since December saying that they are modifying opening hands and that it is only for best of one matches. I am enjoying how this keeps getting posted around like it's some kind of conspiracy theory though.

https://mtgarena.community.gl/forums/threads/347

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
lol that r/u gifts had such a showing in Seattle, I've been playing that for weeks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm enjoying it right now, I *like* how people aren't running optimised decks, or the matchmaker keeps them apart at least. I'm curious what happens when you get a polished deck together, want to try something new and go back to something with a shonky curve and incomplete sets of the best cards. There's still a lot we have to wait and see on though, since no best of three games are around yet, so there's no sideboard meta, so sometimes you run cards that are useless in some matches or are unable to work against strategies you'd overwise sideboard against. The question of format is interesting too, since right now it only implements Amonkhen, HoD, Ixalan and Rivals, so not full standard, and there's no banlist for that red dino and Ramunap Ruins are permitted, but that makes it pretty interesting and new. Obviously they will add Dominaria soon (2 cards are already in actually) but if they have it based on Standard (say they launch around the new core set) then Amonkhet will be gone and it's unclear what you will be able to do with the cards.

I'd be interested in them rolling out modern sets because the engine is good, and it would be neat if they give some of the old PWs voice lines and cool character models for legendaries, but that might not be the direction for it. Maybe arena will be a format unto itself, seperate from the paper game.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Sickening posted:

As far as the online version not being tcg, good. Paying middle men never made the game any cheaper. That is what happens when you allow trading.

Meanwhile, Richard Garfield's new TCG, Artifact, is going all-in on trading using Valve's market. That game will probably be #2 after HS just because of Valve, but I really wish they had gone another way with it.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe arena will be a format unto itself, seperate from the paper game.

There's a reason they introduced the "Brawl" format, it seems tailor made for Arena.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

In fact, they could take the really cool and good innovative way force of will does the spell/land balance but nope can't do that because MTG's resource system will always be assumed to be a risk management feelbads parade.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I honestly don't know if I'd sink any money into Arena because you can't recoup anything at all. You can say sure, that's pretty much all digital CCGs, but we still don't know what the other formats are going to be. I'm guessing based on the data mining (Arena modern or whatever it was called) is that they're not going to do an outright modern but some sort of frontier 2.0 format and then migrate it to paper if it takes off, because modern costs are loving stupid right now and they clearly don't care to bring the market costs down all that much, and most of those costs are tied up in lands they have no interest in printing for standard ever again.

I still believe they should put digital codes in physical packs.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Chill la Chill posted:

In fact, they could take the really cool and good innovative way force of will does the spell/land balance

That's the one aspect of that game I really love and I'd like to see other new games use.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
A lot of different games have experimented on different ways to generate mana, at this point most people are just using the HS method because it's the easiest and people know it. MTG is stuck with its system and there's not really a way to fix it at this point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

moush posted:

Meanwhile, Richard Garfield's new TCG, Artifact, is going all-in on trading using Valve's market. That game will probably be #2 after HS just because of Valve, but I really wish they had gone another way with it.

While that could be true its also likely it will fail to get any traction like the other million card games made.

Chill la Chill posted:

In fact, they could take the really cool and good innovative way force of will does the spell/land balance but nope can't do that because MTG's resource system will always be assumed to be a risk management feelbads parade.

But is that magic though?

triple sulk posted:

I honestly don't know if I'd sink any money into Arena because you can't recoup anything at all. You can say sure, that's pretty much all digital CCGs, but we still don't know what the other formats are going to be. I'm guessing based on the data mining (Arena modern or whatever it was called) is that they're not going to do an outright modern but some sort of frontier 2.0 format and then migrate it to paper if it takes off, because modern costs are loving stupid right now and they clearly don't care to bring the market costs down all that much, and most of those costs are tied up in lands they have no interest in printing for standard ever again.

I still believe they should put digital codes in physical packs.

They should do the pokemon thing with boosters because it would drive pack sales and be a loving win win. Instant value from nothing.

It would create a secondary market for codes though as any retailer that cracks packs to sell singles would want to sell codes.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Mezzanon posted:

lol that r/u gifts had such a showing in Seattle, I've been playing that for weeks.

And now Combat Celebrants are on the rise.

Still looks really fun though, might have to sleeve it up since it's still relatively affordable. I remember initially seeing Zetalpa spoiled and wanting to jam that into some kind of Jeskai Gift deck, but it seemed too clunky and was pretty win-more. UR looks nice and straight-forward, comparatively.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's lots of ways that you could tweak magic to be better but you're nuts if you think that the best way to break into a crowded digital tcg market is to abandon 25 years of brand equity to correct those issues and create a new "magic" branded game of not-magic

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

Still looks really fun though, might have to sleeve it up since it's still relatively affordable. I remember initially seeing Zetalpa spoiled and wanting to jam that into some kind of Jeskai Gift deck, but it seemed too clunky and was pretty win-more. UR looks nice and straight-forward, comparatively.

Laffo at this being a 10 dollar card now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

FoW seems to have the best design for that which I've seen. FFTCG also does it in an interesting way; you discard from the hand to generate 2 mana ("CP") of the card's color/element, and backup types can be tapped ("dulled") for 1 on subsequent turns after being played, but you can only have up to five on the field at a time. Cards can be played as long as at least one CP of the cost is paid for in that card's element (e.g. a fire card with a cost of 4 can be played with 1 fire and 3 water). As stated though, Magic can't really be changed, so it's mostly moot.

Sickening posted:

They should do the pokemon thing with boosters because it would drive pack sales and be a loving win win. Instant value from nothing.

It would create a secondary market for codes though as any retailer that cracks packs to sell singles would want to sell codes.

Absolutely. The digital cards are free for WotC to create, and it encourages a variety of avenues for people to buy physical packs via drafting, boxes (they can throw an additional code in there for another couple dozen packs on top of each pack's code), and so on. People who had no interest in picking up Arena but play paper might get pulled in if they're given codes. There's absolutely zero reason to not do it.

FWIW I picked up a Hazoret challenger deck a couple days ago because it's cheap and there's just some good value there but I don't know what I'll end up doing with it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

But is that magic though?

I thought magic was supposed to be about slinging cool spells and pretending you have abs but maybe it really is like Antiquity, a heavy game about medieval waste management and getting as much out of the few fertile lands you have each turn and hoping you can find more. And Antiquity is extremely good, which means....Magic good?!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chill la Chill posted:

In fact, they could take the really cool and good innovative way force of will does the spell/land balance

What's it do differently?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Snarkless answer: because non-draft boosters are different, wildcards, there may be a system that reduces the chance of bad opening hands. Generally it borrows a lot of ideas from Hearthstone.

None of these things have anything to do with Hearthstone

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Rinkles posted:

There's a separate deck of cards you use to generate land (stones) and you draw from both. I think you're capped to ten. Not sure.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

triple sulk posted:

There's a separate deck of cards you use to generate land (stones) and you draw from both. I think you're capped to ten. Not sure.

You also have to make a choice each turn as drawing from that separate deck to play another "land" requires tapping your commander equivalent, which precludes using it in combat or its other abilities.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

What they said, but they could've done that under the hood somehow like they did with the opening hands.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thats never been modern legal fyi. Fun!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I like this card. A lord for all types.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I really like all the cards in the triple cost cycle

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

InterrupterJones posted:

I'm definitely going to try cutting the cathartic reunions for warkite marauders. But I still think everyone is making a mistake not playing 3x Siren Stormtamer (I have it in my list and it's great)

Edit: maybe that's just because the local meta is mostly control and approach

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Thats never been modern legal fyi. Fun!

Now the lightning crafter combo is modern legal

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I like the flavor (and nostalgia).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Loving these Goblin reprints.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

:wow:

That seems potentially busted? Like at most it's a free goblin. Maybe use it in Vengevine.....

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

None of these things have anything to do with Hearthstone

I didn't say they were, just that, in addition to what I had listed, that it is influenced by Hearthstone.

Prospector seems like the exact sort of thing I'd like for a Aristocrats build, although the tribal requirement gets in the way. There might be potential for it to be part of an engine in modern to poo poo out a crazy number of goblin tokens, possibly involving Krenko.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Wow red is getting all the nostalgia reprints. Like playings ONS block again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Love the new art on this & Goblin Welder in the duel deck