Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

little munchkin posted:

Is the tutorial broken or something? I've tried it twice, the first time I lost a battle that I was scripted to win, the second time it told me to siege some island, but when I tried it told me my army needed to be bigger then theirs. Both times I just stopped getting instructions.

I ran through it again a month ago and I think I got to the part where it tells you that you done good now play on your own, so it is possible to complete. But when it tells you to do a thing the next part of the tutorial won't trigger until that thing is done, and there is no reminder anywhere to tell you what thing you're working on, so if everything doesn't go just right it can be hours before the next tutorial pop up happens.

Basically it's not really a tutorial at all in the usual sense. It's a normal game with a few common goals spelled out, and meeting those goals triggers the next goal.

Anyway, it's worth turning down the difficulty while you do the tutorial to make it easier to reach those goals in a reasonable amount of time. In the opening screen there are those 8 blue buttons, one of which is Tutorial. Go to the Options button instead, then pick the Game tab, then change the difficulty to Easy or Very Easy. Once you feel comfortable with all the mechanics you can turn it back up.

CK is like Dwarf Fortress in that it isn't really hard to play, but it can be hard to learn all the mechanics because poo poo just isn't well documented inside the game. DF has a better wiki though. The CK2 wiki covers all the concepts well enough, but it won't tell you what buttons to press to make things happen like the DF wiki. Tell me how to pres buttan!
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Where's the list of all the DLC in order of importance? The first post is super out of date

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am hella PEEVED posted:

No CK3 talk. Paradox has one or two pieces of DLC left for the game though. Here's my list, some people will disagree here and there. If I get yelled at enough, I'll happily update it so at least there's an easy to point to post for this winter sale.

Must Have:
  • Way of Life - Adds a bunch of options and events. Party all the time with your vassals, be a grognard wargamer, get a dog, lose all your money investing in bitcoins some artisans, get the Necronomicon, duel your shithead son.
  • Conclave - Gives your vassals and council some teeth and makes you actually manage them. Also changes childhood education so your dynastic eugenics program isn't popping out strong geniuses for eternity. Steam users really dislike this expansion, but most of the "annoying" changes were included in the patch alongside this DLC and got fixed later.
Pretty Good: - Still worth it, even off-sale, but aren't vital.
  • Reaper's Due - Fills out the disease system. Hire a doctor to cut your face off to cure the flu. Build hospitals, which give you a chance of maybe not losing everyone to the Black Death. Also, become immortal, reincarnated, or try to cheat death in a game of chess.
  • The Old Gods - Play as Vikings (and other Pagans). Also unlocks 867 as a start date, which is a good start date.
Play As X: - Wait for a sale to hit. Most aren't super vital, but do add depth and give you some other things to do.
  • Sword of Islam - Play as Muslims.
  • The Republic - Play as Merchant Republics (if you do plan on this, make sure to have Legacy of Rome as well, as Retinues are very helpful)
  • Sons of Abraham - Adds playable Jewish Leaders, Pope mechanics and adds events for all 3 of the Abrahamic religions.
  • Rajas of India - Play as India. Way better with this last patch now that Tibet exists.
  • Horse Lords - Play as Nomads. Become figurative Genghis Khan. Also adds in the Silk Road, if you play in the East and don't have Jade Dragon. Can also conquer tributaries, so you can bully smaller neighbors for their ducats and not have to deal with them as vassals.
Buy It On Sale Only
  • Legacy of Rome - Adds in Retinues, which are a standing army and pretty good (especially for Merchant Republics). Can mend the great schism and restore the Roman Empire. Adds some Byzantine events. Retinues are really good and almost push this to "Pretty Good".
  • Sunset Invasion - The Aztecs invade the west. Basically the Mongol Horde, but for the British Isles and Mainland Europe. I like it, but totally skipable.
  • Charlemagne - Start in 769. You will end up with giant blobs owned by giant empires with this start date. Adds Viceroyalties, Custom Kingdoms & Empires. Playing as Charlemagne is fun and it has custom events. Beyond that, not super important.
  • Monks and Mystics - Can be very lacking depending on what religion you play as. Most will have maybe 1 or 2 secret societies, and they are basically all clones of each other. Can also secretly convert to religions. Your courtiers can do this to, and its basically a virus in your kingdom, so make sure you are burning heretics as if they were a new fuel source. Adds a couple of new counselor missions. Highlights include getting a gun and praying to Satan to restore the balls your physician cut off to cure a bellyache.
  • Jade Dragon - This just came out. Allows you to interact with China, which is an off map power. The stuff you get from China is super strong. Updates the silk road as well. Also, adds new Casus Belli, which make expanding as Catholics (and everyone else, but especially Catholics) easier. It Does lead to a lot of unpretty borders and blobs though. The option can be turned off; however. Only really worth it if you are playing East of the Byzantines. Its also a newer DLC and thus, $15.
Assorted Stuff (Mostly stuff that should be in the base game, please only buy on sale)
  • Ruler Designer - Not really vital and you cant use it to get achievements. Get this on sale, maybe.
  • Customization Pack - Change your leaders haircut, shield, kingdom, and dynasty name. Slightly more worth it than Ruler designer, but still sale only.
  • Unit/Portrait/Shield/Music Packs - There used to be separate packs that came out alongside DLCs. Combining them is nice, I guess. I'd rank them as Music > Portrait > Shield > Unit.
  • EUIV Converter - Do you play EU4 and want to continue to there? Can be some delay with getting this updated if a DLC makes a big change. Not worth it otherwise.
E-Books
No. You get no in-game content, its just e-books. Read the thread, there are plenty of short stories here.

TL;DR The DLC you should own are: Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, The Old Gods. Those, plus the base game comes out to $33.95 USD while on sale. If you don't mind spending another $4.99 I would also pick up The Sword of Islam, which brings the grand total up to $38.94 USD. You'll have most of the leaders available to start as and have plenty of content to try out.

EDIT: Swapped around Old Gods & Sons of Abraham. Added tl;dr section.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
You're a champ, thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

slap me and kiss me posted:

You're a champ, thanks!

Spend responsibly and have fun! :cheers:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Quick question: how do I pay off a loan from the Knights Templar? I've tried donating to the order but the -10 relation penalty from churchy types won't go away. They have some land in my kingdom, do I have to kick them out? don't want to piss off the Pope.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Quick question: how do I pay off a loan from the Knights Templar? I've tried donating to the order but the -10 relation penalty from churchy types won't go away. They have some land in my kingdom, do I have to kick them out? don't want to piss off the Pope.

Eh, just go Phillip IV all over them.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

You need to wait till they come knocking, but I haven't taken a loan from a holy order in a while (due to that), so maybe it's been changed to something else. Yes, you're right, there should be an option in the Intrigue menu where you took out the loan, but there isn't.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 6, 2018

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Thanqol's amazing Flamboyant Schemers LP just got a shout-out in an RPS article, and I really can't disagree. That LP really was amazing (probably the first LP ever to feature a rap-battle between medieval poet-counts!), so I'm glad to see people outside of these dying comedy forums think the same way!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/05/grab-historical-sandbox-crusader-kings-ii-free-today/#more-532233

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Just formed the Kingdom of Sicily and was wondering what direction I should go next. I see a lot of people saying to swear fealty to the Byzantines and take it down from the inside... is this implying that I just war with dukes and counts and slowly blob up until I’m big enough to rival the emperor, this usurping his title?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Gin_Rummy posted:

Just formed the Kingdom of Sicily and was wondering what direction I should go next. I see a lot of people saying to swear fealty to the Byzantines and take it down from the inside... is this implying that I just war with dukes and counts and slowly blob up until I’m big enough to rival the emperor, this usurping his title?
My first Sicily run, I started in on conquering the coast of Tunisia to be able to form the kingdom of Africa eventually. I was super lucky and had the HRE emperor go heretic so the pope called a crusade on him and I was able to take all of northern Italy. I've never tried the Byzantine empire route though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The real question is how far south is the HRE, because if you're stuck with only big empires on your border, you might be better off just joining one to gobble up provinces from within. The HRE is probably easier to deal with because you can take advantage of Elective and the Byzantines might be strong enough to outlaw internal wars and force you to deal with viceroyalties. I normally prefer to try to work towards the empire of Italia.

Your main avenues for expansion are northern Italy, Sardinia and Corsica, across the adriatic to Croatia, the Balkans, Hungary, and the Byzantines, or hopping over the sea to anywhere else in the Mediterranean. My last Sicily game wound up with me getting jihaded off the peninsula, after which I played the inheritance game to hop all the way over to Spain and form the empire of Hispania.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm just starting out and found a good tutorial series on learning the game, but where should I go to watch someone play this in some insanely hard, conquer the world with some ridiculous knowledge of mechanics fashion?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Gin_Rummy posted:

If you haven’t tried being a vassal to a large empire then it is a lot more fun than it initially sounds, with more blobbing making up only a tiny part of your new strategy. There’s a whole new dynamic of scheming against your liege and as the King/Despot of Sicily you’ll hold a fair amount of clout in the Empire with factions that you create or join will be a big problem for the Emperor/Basileus.

And while this is going on you can still expand outside of whichever empire you join and you get to keep the lands so that part of your game won’t change.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics in this game but it seems like I might have a good time with it, should I move on the DLC now if I'm even remotely interested or do these go on sale enough that if I like what I see after a while I can pick up more discounted later?

If I have to act now, the 4 recommend starter DLC's are only $10 less than getting the whole DLC pack, should I just get that instead in that case? Getting the base game for free really takes a lot of the sting off of buying DLC for this game that I'm not sure how into it I'll get in the long run.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

explosivo posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics in this game but it seems like I might have a good time with it, should I move on the DLC now if I'm even remotely interested or do these go on sale enough that if I like what I see after a while I can pick up more discounted later?

If I have to act now, the 4 recommend starter DLC's are only $10 less than getting the whole DLC pack, should I just get that instead in that case? Getting the base game for free really takes a lot of the sting off of buying DLC for this game that I'm not sure how into it I'll get in the long run.

DLCs go on sale pretty often but I’d just buy now. As mentioned some people didn’t like some the mechanics of Conclave, but a lot of that was because they were used the council being spineless stat buffs so they were mad that they had to consider stuff like loyalty instead of just picking the highest stat dude. So if you are learning the game anyways, you might as well learn the most recent version rather than having to unlearn stuff later.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think maybe the DLCs sometimes go on 75% discount, but I can't remember for certain. Jade Dragon definitely will come down in price, because the most recent DLC always costs more.

If you want all the stuff now and you can afford it, go for it. Otherwise, you can always buy piece by piece in individual sales. Get the new mechanics one bit at a time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how do you deal with gavelkind as a tribal in 900

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

oddium posted:

Very carefully.

One way is to limit your number of heirs. Take concubines and set them aside when you have and heir and a spare. If you have two equal sized duchies at your characters death, your heir should inherit your better upgraded capital duchy while your spare gets the other duchy. Be prepared to beat up the early challengers of your rule once your son inherits.

Reforming the faith, or converting to a non-pagan religion, is a top priority. As is slowly jacking up tribal organization until it's on max. Then you adopt feudalism as soon as possible. Or become a merchant republic if you want to.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

explosivo posted:

If I have to act now, the 4 recommend starter DLC's are only $10 less than getting the whole DLC pack, should I just get that instead in that case?

Yes. I have never regretted buying a CK2 DLC.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bought the 4 recommended ones plus Sword of Islam. Looking forward to figuring out how to play this goddamn game! :cheers:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

Constantly conquer lands and give it to your sons before you die. ABC: Always Be Conquering
By the time you run out of land to conquer, you should be able to deal with gavelkind a different way, either by reforming or because of how split up your dynasty is that anyone elected already has land.

This is the only method that doesn't rely on being a SPINELESS COWARD

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Acquire enough land to create an empire and then your lovely extra sons will be guaranteed to end up vassals to your good son.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Acquire enough land to create an empire and then your lovely extra sons will be guaranteed to end up vassals to your good son.

This also works at the 1 kingdom and 1 duchy level. If you acquire your first counties in a pattern where you control only one de jure duchy title, then your failsons will wind up vassals of your primary heir. Once you control more than one duchy (whether you have created the title or not) you need to rush for a kingdom title ASAP.

oddium posted:

You can try to keep your extra sons serially engaged to girls under 5, or marry them to women over 35 (but not over 50, because she'll just die). Even if your group is allowed concubines the AI doesn't seem to put a huge priority on it for young men, and other rulers are more likely to agree to a marriage than to handing over a concubine. So locking them into an inconvenient marriage or long engagement can keep them from producing heirs for 10 years. If you can't find a way to get rid of an inconvenient brother in 10 years what are you even doing?

Personally though I like to load up on kids with my first guy. Lots of sons, so I'm not in danger of a game over with a couple unlucky deaths.

I like to invite every man with a good eugenics trait I can get, and then matrilineally marry them to my many daughters. Most people won't agree to a matrilineal marriage, but if you get the guy into your court you can force it. This results in a lot of cousins who have only weak claims on your titles in the future, but are still eligible to be picked as heir in elective systems and act as insurance against a game over if you murder all your brothers and then get bonked on the head. Occasionally one of these matrileanally married dudes will inherit a title, causing that title to be owned by your bloodline.

Having a large extended family can come in handy later in the game if you are a republic, or form a vassal republic on someone from your bloodline.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Crusader Kings II: keep your extra sons serially engaged to girls under 5,

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think maybe the DLCs sometimes go on 75% discount, but I can't remember for certain.
75% last occurred in 2015. 66% last happened 2016. Wouldn't expect anything more than 50% until CK2 is "finished"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 11, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Whoa! That's truly amazing. It's a small change, but really helps with immersion. I approve.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:eyepop: indeed

I think reformation of pagan faiths will get harder with this.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dwesa posted:

:eyepop: indeed

I think reformation of pagan faiths will get harder with this.

Maybe I didn't read it properly, but it looks like an AI-only thing to me.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I think it says any leader with discontiguous provinces and no way to reach them navally or by land them loses the provinces on death. Not just AI. Seems clear to me? :shrug:
I wonder what happens if they're your provinces, is that what the independent peasant thing is about? I hope you get CBs for the chance to have the land back.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That makes perfect sense and I believe that will produce more historical scenarios, but I feel vaguely offended that this was considered a problem that needed to be fixed.

I know it doesn't make sense for me to own pieces of anatolia and corsica when I'm king of Ireland, but that's what Crusader Kings is.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

SlothfulCobra posted:

That makes perfect sense and I believe that will produce more historical scenarios, but I feel vaguely offended that this was considered a problem that needed to be fixed.

I know it doesn't make sense for me to own pieces of anatolia and corsica when I'm king of Ireland, but that's what Crusader Kings is.

Unless I misread that dev diary, I'm fairly sure this new rule won't be enabled by default.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I wonder what happens if they're your provinces, is that what the independent peasant thing is about? I hope you get CBs for the chance to have the land back.
If I understand it correctly, if there is a ruler in the exclave (like some vassal of yours), he will become independent. If there is none (e.g. player controls it), peasant leader takes it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

-Dethstryk- posted:

Unless I misread that dev diary, I'm fairly sure this new rule won't be enabled by default.

It specifically said that "Off" is the default setting.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Dwesa posted:

If I understand it correctly, if there is a ruler in the exclave (like some vassal of yours), he will become independent. If there is none (e.g. player controls it), peasant leader takes it.
It would make more sense for one of the barons to take it I think. Any paradox people still read this?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
My king died before I got to legalism level 3 and my 5 holdings are now two under the hier, with the remaining 3 split amongst siblings.

What I'm asking is, should I kill my brothers and take my loving land back?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

CascadeBeta posted:

My king died before I got to legalism level 3 and my 5 holdings are now two under the hier, with the remaining 3 split amongst siblings.

I assume this question is rhetorical.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Always Be Cinslaying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

This land is your land, this tomb is their tomb. Start wars to get it back, put them in jail, execute or just plot and assassinate if there aren't 20 people between you and inheritance, do what you need to do.

• Locked thread