Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It's not as if there's regularly a bunch of chat here that would get drowned out by rando. I like watching rando races. Its a nice way to keep something you've seen 1000 times fresh.

Boring speedruns hot take: Undertale. The GDQ run crowd was entertaining, mostly for the meta and crowd participation. Most of the run was just skipping parts using the same trick repeatedly and that doesn't combine well with a game thats leans heavily on plot to be engaging but is visually uninteresting.

At least the music is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Boogalo posted:

It's not as if there's regularly a bunch of chat here that would get drowned out by rando. I like watching rando races. Its a nice way to keep something you've seen 1000 times fresh.

Boring speedruns hot take: Undertale. The GDQ run crowd was entertaining, mostly for the meta and crowd participation. Most of the run was just skipping parts using the same trick repeatedly and that doesn't combine well with a game thats leans heavily on plot to be engaging but is visually uninteresting.

At least the music is good.

Yeah I'm a bit bummed they're doing Undertale again. Nothing's ever going to touch the AGDQ 17 run in terms of energy/crowd and the game itself isn't all that interesting to watch given how glitch-heavy it is. But hey, I could be wrong.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I really like watching comedy movies but instead of them having jokes and being lighthearted they should be scary and suspenseful

No gently caress you i won't just watch horror movies instead

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Glitches should be banned from GDQs

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm also in the rando tournament. My first match is against Elbody who seems to mostly run FF and DQ games. We agreed to play our match at 10am EDT Wednesday.

heeheex2 posted:

Glitches should be banned from GDQs

Glitches will be banned after someone performs an OOB glitch that saves 3 seconds but makes a big tray full of edibles for the crowd materialize while causing the game's protagonist to shout pro-cancer, anti-doctor messages.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm not saying (and no one else is) that oob runs shouldn't be done, just that they can be boring to watch sometimes. plus, they've done the doom any% twice at gdq already, maybe show off a different category?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm looking through the submission list, and there's something called a "Bingo" race for Zelda: Ocarina of Time. What exactly is that?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

a race with a bingo card of random(?) objectives that runners have to complete, whoever gets a bingo first wins.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Roluth posted:

I'm looking through the submission list, and there's something called a "Bingo" race for Zelda: Ocarina of Time. What exactly is that?

The spiritual predecessor to lttp rando. Involves heavy knowledge of glitches, tricks, and routes for oot.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I think OOB runs can be great and funny as long as there are interesting ways they get OOB, but really they are only interesting the once. After that its not a, man are these people skilled thing. Its, owe, they know that trick and are gonna do it over and over and over again.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

As a show of solidarity I’m going to make a post that goes out of

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

baram. posted:

a race with a bingo card of random(?) objectives that runners have to complete, whoever gets a bingo first wins.

Yeah. The cards are generated randomly, but each objective has an assigned "weight" to it based on some criteria that I'm not 100% sure about (I think it's how time-consuming and/or difficult the objective can be) and the generator tries to take the weights into account and make each row balanced. The runners aren't allowed to see the card until the moment they start the game, so they have to then think quickly, make a call on which row they want to complete and route that on their feet. Bingos have an increased emphasis on general knowledge of the game instead of just mechanical skill.

Obviously they're typically races, but Runnerguy's going to have to run it by himself in the marathon. He's been a big proponent of keeping bingo alive and will definitely have a lot to say about its history.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TeaJay posted:

Besides, if they limited the number of glitches, we never would've got Arabian Nights.

the glitch in arabian nights was that the game loaded at all

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Oyster posted:

I'm speedrunning getting eliminated from the tournament.

Hey now, that’s my goal :colbert: My first match is on Saturday vs BrewersFanJP who I’ve seen in the other rando tournaments, so I’m guaranteed to lose.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pash posted:

I think OOB runs can be great and funny as long as there are interesting ways they get OOB, but really they are only interesting the once. After that its not a, man are these people skilled thing. Its, owe, they know that trick and are gonna do it over and over and over again.

That's what I was getting at with my original DO4M post. Every level (it seemed) was OOB walk slowly on some invisible stuff, drop in, kill a dude, go OOB again. It might be fastest to the end screen, but it wasn't entertaining because it was the same thing repeatedly.

Arabian nights from what I remember was a complete clusterfuck of glitches competing to be the most ridiculous one.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

tiistai posted:

Yeah. The cards are generated randomly, but each objective has an assigned "weight" to it based on some criteria that I'm not 100% sure about (I think it's how time-consuming and/or difficult the objective can be) and the generator tries to take the weights into account and make each row balanced. The runners aren't allowed to see the card until the moment they start the game, so they have to then think quickly, make a call on which row they want to complete and route that on their feet. Bingos have an increased emphasis on general knowledge of the game instead of just mechanical skill.

Obviously they're typically races, but Runnerguy's going to have to run it by himself in the marathon. He's been a big proponent of keeping bingo alive and will definitely have a lot to say about its history.

That sounds pretty awesome and I can see why hes trying to keep it alive.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I miss friday night bingo

edit: if you're curious you can look at the card generator here: http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Arabian nights from what I remember was a complete clusterfuck of glitches competing to be the most ridiculous one.
it was, yeah. i'm barely even joking when i say that the biggest glitch was that it loaded at all. through all the weird poo poo they ended up pulling in that run, the thing that nearly killed it was a perfectly normal merchant transaction not working for no discernible reason.

like this was something you were legit supposed to be able to do and it just would not work at all, they had to load a safety save.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

tiistai posted:

i had a vague familiarity with what a bingo race was but didn't know they were weighted, nor knew that runnerguy was going to run it solo and that he'll probably have things to say about it

definitely gonna check out this run

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ilmucche posted:

That's what I was getting at with my original DO4M post. Every level (it seemed) was OOB walk slowly on some invisible stuff, drop in, kill a dude, go OOB again. It might be fastest to the end screen, but it wasn't entertaining because it was the same thing repeatedly.

yeah it's not "don't do glitches" it's just you should do the version of the run that's most interesting to watch. it's why it was always a bummer when they'd do any% on the souls/bloodborne games. it's just way way way less fun to watch than all bosses.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GNU Order posted:

As a show of solidarity I’m going to make a post that goes out of

This some fake-rear end poo poo right here, I'll show you how to really go o̼̳͔̙͍͙̯ͣ̏̃͊ͣ̌͒ͪͬ̋ͬͣͩͅu̫͈͕͓̲̦͎͍͈̗͈̭̺̼̲͊͗̈̀̈́ͣ͗ͩͥ̑͌̚̚̚ṫ̰̯̪̖͓͙̖̟͈ͮͧ͊͂́̊̉ͮ̇̈́̓ ̭̝͈̮̤͈͚̮͕̮͖͓̤̻̱̠̥ͩ͛̋̉o͎̥̼̖̜̺̬̬͚̯̩̯͛ͦ͒̀͌̂̿ͦ̅͆͛ͩ̌̉ͭ͛f̮̮͕̪̞̣̞̤̤͕̱͕͙͍͍͙̱͗̋ͭ̍ͅ ͚̙̤̦̃̉̂̌̇ͮ̚̚ͅb̤̫̥̘̪͕̬͕̪͉̦͓̺̦͈̐͛͌͛o̮͔̺̙ͣ̍͐ͪͭ̀̆̍ͦṳ̯͎̖͙̬̦̺͍̲̠͉̱͕̪̮͙̬̰̃͐͑̿͋̃͑̋ͬ̈̔̂̈́n̬̘̲̞̪͖̭̫͇͕͉͙͕͆̈́͗͐ͬ̈ͦ̄̾d̼͍͇̼͉̩͎̦̥̖̭̺̫̤̣̬͖͋ͪ̌ͤ̐͐̓ͧͭͨ͋͆ͩ͛̑ͧ͗͒̚s͓̝͉̘̣͓͉̺̭͎͎̹̙̤̞͔̮̗̿͆̍̔̄ͩ̍̋̆̃̽͐ͥ͊̐̈ͨͧͅ.̻͕̫̳̗̱̝̺̹͉͕̘̏͛̓̎̑ͥ̈́ͦͯ̾ͣ̈̏̌

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 9, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Suspicious Dish posted:

I miss friday night bingo

edit: if you're curious you can look at the card generator here: http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo/

same. bingo was a good way to wind down the week.

Kaubocks posted:

i had a vague familiarity with what a bingo race was but didn't know they were weighted, nor knew that runnerguy was going to run it solo and that he'll probably have things to say about it

definitely gonna check out this run

there's a always a few rows where runners can easily route 2 or 3 of the squares, then it'll have some giant time penalty that goes out of the way to poison that particular row.

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 9, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I saw some guys playing a bingo game race variant on twitch a while ago that was pretty fun. They're on a common card, and only the first player to mark a square can claim it, so the winner is first to get a bingo or more than half the squares. Both runners can see the marked-up card, but not the other player's screen. Defensive moves to prevent the other player from getting bingo is obviously a strategy.

But the interesting thing they did was to complete an objective but not immediately mark it, hoping the other player would waste time on a square or to not make it obvious that a bingo has already been blocked or that they're going for a particular bingo. So it's a strategic meta-game on top to decide the right time to mark squares.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
me to the freaking out of bounders

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I saw some guys playing a bingo game race variant on twitch a while ago that was pretty fun. They're on a common card, and only the first player to mark a square can claim it, so the winner is first to get a bingo or more than half the squares. Both runners can see the marked-up card, but not the other player's screen. Defensive moves to prevent the other player from getting bingo is obviously a strategy.

But the interesting thing they did was to complete an objective but not immediately mark it, hoping the other player would waste time on a square or to not make it obvious that a bingo has already been blocked or that they're going for a particular bingo. So it's a strategic meta-game on top to decide the right time to mark squares.

so that's called "lockout" bingo, and I actually was the one who came up with the idea. I managed to get some OoT guys to try one out a long time ago and then it kinda went away for a while but then the Super Mario Sunshine guys really picked it up and brought it back.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

some folks got super tilted at Lack's 28:50 zelda any% run.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

bounds

gently caress, resetting

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Boogalo posted:

some folks got super tilted at Lack's 28:50 zelda any% run.

It's crazy how upset people get over glitched speedruns or even just speedruns in general. It's not even a tough thing to understand that it's just a different way to play a game. I will make Gaben himself smite you with the fury of a thousand game genies if you dare to go oob in my favorite video gamesssssssss

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

are they back to running open mode for this randomizer tournmanet? i did not pay attention to the keysanity tournament at all 'cause keysanity is lame.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

are they back to running open mode for this randomizer tournmanet? i did not pay attention to the keysanity tournament at all 'cause keysanity is lame.

This time it's the new Standard with randomized swords, meaning Uncle will give either a sword or some other random weapon.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

All speed runs need to be four hour long jrpg runs from now on.

That way I don't need to watch a single speed run ever again.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

the last time i said this in a gdq thread i was crucified

e: i kinda feel like there should be a standard for gdq runs where you can only have so many glitches per run, like 5 or some poo poo. if you have a huge glitch like the one Zelda LttP one that allows you to beat the game in literally 2 minutes because you can wrong warp to the triforce room, that's cool and definitely worth showing off. if there are a couple of glitches that skip like 80% of the game, that can be fun too. but if you're constantly whoring glitches to make 30 minutes of broken bullshit viewing that's totally incomprehensible to literally anyone but other runners you really need to get off the couch. if anything i feel like THOSE runs should have their own block and the awful games block needs to be an awful games norm where every like 5th game is a really bad one.

If a GDQ runner ever goes above 5 glitches they must be punished.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Glitches get stitches

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
bounds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Studio posted:

If a GDQ runner ever goes above 5 glitches they must be punished.

boy it sure is cool when people take the spirit of some poo poo you said and don't blow it up into some extremist straw man that totally makes conversation possible in a conversation thread on a conversation board on the conversation internet

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

hi to all my rando friends, I had no idea there's so many goons who're also in the tournament. Drop me a DM on the tourney Discord (Hurfydurfy) and I'll get you preferential mod treatment :ninja: (no I won't, but I might wanna commentate a match of yours or at least make sure you don't get commentators you don't want on your restreams ok bye)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Coolguye posted:

boy it sure is cool when people take the spirit of some poo poo you said and don't blow it up into some extremist straw man that totally makes conversation possible in a conversation thread on a conversation board on the conversation internet

i'm sorry you've gone over the "conversation" limit, we're going to have to remove your post from the threadathon

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of Doom, OOB and weird bullshit:
https://twitter.com/graviton29/status/983121854163451907

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

oob baby, baby
baby, baby
oob baby, baby
baby, baby
ah, clip it (clip it)
clip it real good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Someone arrest this man for the heinous speedcrime of manipulating a game's mechanics and systems to push it to the limit of his quickly it can be completed.