Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Khimari's gonna need to be at full power so he can shoot one seed.
I think he does get one decent damage dealing move from the omega weapon that could count as an actual limit break I guess?
It's kind of a shame X handled Blue magic so badly since it's my favorite of the mage stuff.

Jawnycat posted:

Hey hey, he had a very important use

This is amazing, not sure what it has to do with christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

scarycave posted:

This is amazing, not sure what it has to do with christmas?

What doesn't it have to do with Christmas

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MGS V is probably one of the best and most ambitious games to come out for the PS3 generation of consoles, but it does have two major problems or annoyances.

First is that it starts slowly and the first real, longer, mission is also very loving frustrating unless you know beforehand what to expect and how to deal with that poo poo.

The other problem is that the longer you play, the more obvious it becomes that content was cut at some point.

My personal grievance with Civilization 6 is that even though the game appears to be really simplified and streamlined, it somehow manages to be a resource hog. It keeps stuttering on my 2015 macbook, which runs paradox world simulation games, Civ5 GOTY, and SM-BERT without any major problems.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Apr 9, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There was no need for those repeat-missions. While the ending was incomplete and story was lacking what the game really didn't need was extra content. The gameplay loop is more fun than anything I got out of Borderlands 2 or Fallout 4. It's a pity the plot had to fall by the wayside.

I went online only to redeem all the free stuff you get. Its a bad idea to stay online as it causes the menu to load for eons. All the GMP you get online is worthless offline because your budget is measured in two separate values so you will likely end up in the red. No-timer mod is a must.

I found it really funny when Miller called Skull Face "pretentious".

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Der Kyhe posted:

MGS V is probably one of the best and most ambitious games to come out for the PS3 generation of consoles, but it does have two major problems or annoyances.

First is that it starts slowly and the first real, longer, mission is also very loving frustrating unless you know beforehand what to expect and how to deal with that poo poo.

The other problem is that the longer you play, the more obvious it becomes that content was cut at some point.

My personal grievance with Civilization 6 is that even though the game appears to be really simplified and streamlined, it somehow manages to be a resource hog. It keeps stuttering on my 2015 macbook, which runs paradox world simulation games, Civ5 GOTY, and SM-BERT without any major problems.

It's why people were so mad at MGSV because it's a great game and seeing how much is obviously missing makes it so much worse. I'm never not gonna be mad because in terms of gameplay it's GOTY forever.

And Civ games really need to have that boardgame mode that CIV5 had, which made it 2D so you can still play lategame without your old pc making GBS threads itself. It wasn't perfect because poo poo was still loaded in memory but not rendering. Or a lite edition for lovely computers because i'm not playing turn based strategies for graphics. If the game's bottleneck isn't the simulation taxing the CPU it's a poo poo turn based game imo.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Whats even better is a surprise mandatory party and next thing you know you're forced using people you haven't used who are under leveled or geared.

This is what killed Arc the Lad 3 fore me way back when. I had a character who came into the story after everyone else, so I never used him, because why bother spending all that time leveling up some new guy when I have a perfectly good, well rounded team ready to go.

Then they threw in a mandatory mission with him. My party, and the enemies, were all nicely leveled. He was still at the same level he was when he came into the game.

Also, I really don't like latecomers in party based games. Chances are that I'm not going to use a character who shows up halfway through the game much if I already have a viable party, especially if money is too tight in the game to properly outfit that character.

Chrono Cross had 45 goddamn characters. I used 6 of them regularly.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the more infamous 'you thought you could ignore this character forever, did ya? Think again!' examples was in Breath of Fire 2, where you had this monkey dude who wasn't really interesting... until suddenly you're forced to play him solo for a dungeon.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Star Ocean 3 had your 2 main characters going down to some planet where they got involved in a plot until they were finally able to leave. Upon leaving you lost all the people you met on the planet except for one which was chosen based on some hidden relationship stat. So your 6-7 man team was suddenly only 3 people. The starting two main characters and a third who you were apparently the bestest of friends with, completely unrelated to who was your combat fighters.

If you were me and jettisoned both your boring bland anime protags straight out of the party and then happened to not get one of your actual party members as your best friend, you could end up with 3 level 10 people in a level 50 point of no return. It was literally a softlock.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't mind the shooting in Alpha protocol, but holy wow are the sniper rifle sections awful. Super floaty and the sensitivity is way high even with the sens at minimum.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, it was infuriating.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Why is it so hard to find Mineral material in Prey? :argh:

Also enemies respawning is lame.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Apr 9, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Gah, your avatar is making me hungry for some reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The reason, I'd say, is waffles.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agent355 posted:

A more elegant solution is 4 people with customizable skill sets so you still get to experiment but don't have to dela with gearing/leveling 8 dudes. It's hardly the worst video game sin but even when I'm otherwise enjoying a game I find myself wishing I didn't have extraneous party members.

At the very least reserve people should get full exp and level at the same rate so they arent reduced to completely useless.

I think all JRPGs where you party is bigger than your active slots should give full exp to inactive members. Grinding benchwarmers up to parity sucks and seems pointless from a game design perspective.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Also in-combat character switches are great to avoid those annoying 'oh whoops this random boss counters your party completely reload?' situations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mass Effect 2 at the least, stripped out at a lot of RPG fluff like having to equip and level each party member. On the plus side this meant you could ignore Miranda and Jacob after the first mission. However because of console-limitations they had to split the recruiting phase in two halves and poor Legion gets shoved far to the back that the game's almost over when you get him. Too bad about the planet-scanning, the hacking-minigames, the missables...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

wafflemoose posted:

Why is it so hard to find Mineral material in Prey? :argh:

Also enemies respawning is lame.

There's an ability to turn weapons into spare parts. I used to break stuff down but I wasn't using nearly as many spare parts and started recycling unwanted weapons and that gives a decent amount of mineral.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Mass Effect 2 at the least, stripped out at a lot of RPG fluff like having to equip and level each party member. On the plus side this meant you could ignore Miranda and Jacob after the first mission. However because of console-limitations they had to split the recruiting phase in two halves and poor Legion gets shoved far to the back that the game's almost over when you get him. Too bad about the planet-scanning, the hacking-minigames, the missables...

On PC you can use gibbed's save editor to put Legion back into the first 3/4ths of the game, and he even has his own unique dialogue responses for nearly every mission.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yeah, a number of RPGs give dialogue to party members in situations that aren't possible in the final game to prevent scripting errors. Aerith has optional dialogue in scenes that only happen after her death because they may have moved the order of events around. I don't know, I dropped the game when I got stuck on that minigame with that wretched music playing on a constant loop.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

that minigame with that wretched music playing on a constant loop.

The FFX puzzle temples?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I think all JRPGs where you party is bigger than your active slots should give full exp to inactive members. Grinding benchwarmers up to parity sucks and seems pointless from a game design perspective.

Or hell just have a global party level, so that everyone levels up together and any new characters are on par.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mother 3 was awful about its party composition. For most of the game you play as just one or two characters instead of a full party of 4 so while most of the game's systems and character builds are built around using buffs and debuffs turns were so precious that it was usually more effective to just mash attack over and over.

Child of Light had a similar problem where it used a Grandia style timing mechanism that let you cancel out enemy attacks but it was hobbled by only ever having two party members at once. Also a lot of enemies would do counters when interrupted that were so punishing that often it was better to just take the hit in the first place than waste a turn trying to stop it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
FFXV tells you that you only get a game over if Noctis dies. I used the ability to play as Prompto, and decided to just let him die because it wouldn't let me switch back to Noctis even when I healed both of them. Game over. Because Prompto died. And Noctis was still alive. gently caress you.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, a number of RPGs give dialogue to party members in situations that aren't possible in the final game to prevent scripting errors. Aerith has optional dialogue in scenes that only happen after her death because they may have moved the order of events around. I don't know, I dropped the game when I got stuck on that minigame with that wretched music playing on a constant loop.

It's more than that, ME2 was very clearly designed so that you could originally recruit any party member in any order, but then they found out the game was going to need to be split into multiple discs so that's why on every platform recruiting party members is restricted by what part of the game you're up to.

Earlier in development, Legion was also originally going to have his own recruitment mission instead of being lumped in with Reaper IFF.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I love the Mad Max setting but this game just feels like any other open world collectathon game

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Len posted:

I love the Mad Max setting but this game just feels like any other open world collectathon game

It's got some really great touches but Max is a colossal arsehole and the collectathon is huge even by the standards of open world games. A good chillout game at least.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Went back to try playing Renowned Explorers. Cool little indie game from a few years back, heavy tactical mini-RPG sort of thing.

Then I remembered why I quit: they really like giving enemies "gotcha" abilities that hard counter certain strategies, and making them visually identical to other normal enemies. So you'll check out a couple mooks in a group and everything will look normal, you choose your opening strategy, and one or two out of the group will hulk out and wreck your poo poo.

Like, the game is perfectly fine with using palette swaps to denote enemies with special stats or abilities, they didn't think that maybe an insanely dangerous counter abilitymight be worth a visual indicator of some kind??

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I know one of the complaints about Assassin's Creed game is that they spent way too much time tutorializing and dicking around but AC: Origins seems like its gone way too far in the opposite direction. The game starts with you stabbing a mask into a dude's face, flings you into a combat in a completely different area, then you run into an old buddy who's house you defend from some Romans after which he instantly convinces you to become Desert Cop and you are immediately dumped into the open world. Maybe half an hour has transpired.

Shortly after, while delivering a guy's corpse back to his destroyed farm, I am attacked by some assholes on camels who were just riding by. Mere moments after killing them, a different group of guys on camels comes and attacks me. I have no idea why either of them are doing so.

Its all a bit sudden.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

1stGear posted:

I know one of the complaints about Assassin's Creed game is that they spent way too much time tutorializing and dicking around but AC: Origins seems like its gone way too far in the opposite direction. The game starts with you stabbing a mask into a dude's face, flings you into a combat in a completely different area, then you run into an old buddy who's house you defend from some Romans after which he instantly convinces you to become Desert Cop and you are immediately dumped into the open world. Maybe half an hour has transpired.

Shortly after, while delivering a guy's corpse back to his destroyed farm, I am attacked by some assholes on camels who were just riding by. Mere moments after killing them, a different group of guys on camels comes and attacks me. I have no idea why either of them are doing so.

Its all a bit sudden.

You played through all of this unusually quick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Olive! posted:

FFXV tells you that you only get a game over if Noctis dies. I used the ability to play as Prompto, and decided to just let him die because it wouldn't let me switch back to Noctis even when I healed both of them. Game over. Because Prompto died. And Noctis was still alive. gently caress you.

Yeah, they didn’t update that loading screen too when they updated the game to let you swap characters. I did the exact same thing as you. It makes playing as Prompto pretty dangerous since he’s a glass cannon.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
This goes for many games. The one I’m playing currently is the Walking Dead series but GTA 4 had this problem as well. Someone will be saying something and it gets cut off. In the WD games, you have timed options where you have to choose a response, but if you press a button to respond, it cuts off what the other character is saying, BUT, if you don’t press a response soon enough it chooses a random one which messes up the story cause it’s a game based on your actions so if you say the wrong thing due to the game auto-choosing, it can gently caress up your whole storyline/game/ending etc. and many many times it’s important poo poo they’re saying like “oh Bob is having a a heart a-“ arrhythmia? Attack? Action to shoot zombies?! Who the gently caress knows!

In GTA 4 you would have car rides with people but if you got to your destination too quickly the conversation would cut off; again, cutting off important stuff. They fixed it in 5 where in-car conversations are specifically tailored in length so that even if you drive super fast to your destination you still get the whole convo.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Apr 10, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you get to the Dev room in The Stanley Parable, they specifically mention they had to calculate the length of the corridors so you wouldn't miss the dialogues, I thought it was pretty neat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's like in Sonic Unleashed - to keep the levels a decent length they had to make them literally miles and miles long due to your ludicrous top speed.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like in Sonic Unleashed - to keep the levels a decent length they had to make them literally miles and miles long due to your ludicrous top speed.

They fixed this in Forces, where the levels are 1-2 minutes long. They got your back fam.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

This goes for many games. The one I’m playing currently is the Walking Dead series but GTA 4 had this problem as well. Someone will be saying something and it gets cut off. In the WD games, you have timed options where you have to choose a response, but if you press a button to respond, it cuts off what the other character is saying, BUT, if you don’t press a response soon enough it chooses a random one which messes up the story cause it’s a game based on your actions so if you say the wrong thing due to the game auto-choosing, it can gently caress up your whole storyline/game/ending etc. and many many times it’s important poo poo they’re saying like “oh Bob is having a a heart a-“ arrhythmia? Attack? Action to shoot zombies?! Who the gently caress knows!

In GTA 4 you would have car rides with people but if you got to your destination too quickly the conversation would cut off; again, cutting off important stuff. They fixed it in 5 where in-car conversations are specifically tailored in length so that even if you drive super fast to your destination you still get the whole convo.

There's no skip dialog option so I would always jump out of the car and kill myself until I could skip to the stage of the mission where something actually happens.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

Its all a bit sudden.

The game has a weird in media res opening. I get why they did it, but you really don't get much of a plot setup until you start doing the main missions in Alexandria.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Thin Privilege posted:

I've never understood why more games that have canned dialogue scenes between charavyers don't just edit the recordings together into a single sound file that flows naturally instead of doing that awkward rhythm where a line plays, there's a pause, then the next line plays, etc. I get why in games like Mass Effect or Skyrim they do it in their dialgoue sustems to make skipping through and interacting with dialogue easier but in games with uninteractive cutscenes or two character carrying on a conversation they really don't have an excuse.

Samuringa posted:

If you get to the Dev room in The Stanley Parable, they specifically mention they had to calculate the length of the corridors so you wouldn't miss the dialogues, I thought it was pretty neat.

Roughly 80% of the playtime in Oxenfree is you ziggzagging across long linear paths just so that the characters have enough time for the voice acting of their long unskippable conversations to play. It got so tedious that when I replayed the game to try for a different ending I used Cheat Engine to crank up the game's speed so it played through dialogue in like a second (fast enough to read subtitles and make decisions without having to listen to the entire thing) and you can beat the game in under an hour that way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

scarycave posted:

They fixed this in Forces, where the levels are 1-2 minutes long. They got your back fam.

I like the pacing of Unleashed's levels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Am I thinking of GTA V when I say there was a game where, when a gameplay conversation got interrupted, the characters would pick it back up with "as I was saying..."? I think so. It's pretty cool.

Saints Row 3 did it pretty badly with a conversation, or rather singalong, in one of the first missions that's about a quarter the length of the drive. Along the route you're given, you don't even have to speedrun it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In the new Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 dlc there’s a lot of fun dialogue depending on which ally you bring with you to help fight, but pretty much every partner dies long before they get through their little chat (often the conversation will continue for over a minute after they have been knocked out.)

This is also annoying during the base game when you’re waiting for the villain to transform or whatever, but the game just lets them continue fighting you, but now invincible, until they finish talking.