Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Cool. Thanks for all your work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is there a setting I keep missing to put the Bookmarks link on the favorites list? Somehow I have it there on my tablet but not on my phone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You just long press it on the full forums list, same as the others!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Thanks

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Clicking Twitter links now takes me to the Twitter log in screen. Is that something on Twitter end or the awful apps?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The app only handles internal forum links, anything external (and some site pages like where you need to buy a thing) is just passed to the system, for whatever app you've set to handle it. So like for me, it just opens them in Chrome. Could be worth making sure whatever app you're using is being cool

I'm not seeing this, but I know if you scroll down a tweet it shows a big login splash, and also I have to reload Every Single Tweet Link because it always says twitter is too busy or refreshes forever the first time. So maybe you're getting something like that? Also if you have embedding on, but you just get a plain link in the post, that's a sign the tweet was deleted (so maybe they just show the login page for that)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Clicking Twitter links now takes me to the Twitter log in screen. Is that something on Twitter end or the awful apps?

I noticed when sharing Twitter links from the forums they sometimes take you to a login screen but if you remove the query string from the URL it will load the link fine

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm gonna repeat my request for MP4 and GIFV link sharing menus. The quote trick is too clunky and overrides my last read count. Also it keeps trying to copy part of the bbcode tags.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The latest changelog for the app says that image tweets are now sort of fixed. Is there a setting I'm missing to have tweets get embedded in the page? Every tweet only shows up as a Twitter URL for me and I have to click on it to see the image, which is getting really aggravating because all that the YOSPOS funny pics thread does anymore is repost tweets.

E: Yes there was, I dumb and somehow never saw it until now. Thanks for this great app! It saved my marriage

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 16, 2018

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Good lord, I just discovered that Awful has a dark theme. I've been using the app for years and never noticed.

This app is great. Thank you for putting so much work into it.

If I could have one feature request: A list of threads I have posted in, in order of where I posted most recently. Would make it easier to check for replies.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Good lord, I just discovered that Awful has a dark theme. I've been using the app for years and never noticed.

This app is great. Thank you for putting so much work into it.

If I could have one feature request: A list of threads I have posted in, in order of where I posted most recently. Would make it easier to check for replies.

You're just describing the bookmarks page, which the app supports. Is there any reason you don't use that? The app even puts the threads with replies first.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

pik_d posted:

You're just describing the bookmarks page, which the app supports. Is there any reason you don't use that? The app even puts the threads with replies first.

It can be a little counterintuitive to find the shortcut for bookmarks to drop on your home screen but yeah: the bookmark life is a good life.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Speaking of the bookmarks-shortcut.
I use that shortcut on my home screen, and it always used to go to the bookmarks, even if the app was still in memory (i.e. minimize the app, immediately click the shortcut again).
Now, it often opens the thread I was reading hours ago.
I don't know if it happens since an app-update, it's also possible that it's caused by Android 8.1 (I recently switched to a Pixel 2 XL).

What's the intended behavior in this case?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nth Doctor posted:

It can be a little counterintuitive to find the shortcut for bookmarks to drop on your home screen but yeah: the bookmark life is a good life.

You can also just swipe over from the main screen.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I may as well point out that when launching Awful using the Bookmarks widget, the loading spinner will not go away after the list updates. If you press back to get to the forum index, then go back into bookmarks, it will properly disappear after load.

Happened on my Galaxy S8 and on my Galaxy S9.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

All the widget weirdness is fixed in the development version! I'll see if we can get an update out

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I've mentioned it before, but the app still keeps my screen on as long as it is focused even when the "Keep Screen On" is unchecked.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah, until you toggle it on and off again, right?

I couldn't reproduce that personally, I'll try and take another look and see if something's up. What's your device again? And you're not using some weird XDA mod or anything? You in phone mode or tablet mode?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

pik_d posted:

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that the bookmarks screen displays threads I have manually bookmarked, not necessarily threads I have posted in.

What I am describing is a similar view which displays threads I posted in, ordered by most recent post (recency of *my* post, not replies) first, regardless of whether I bookmarked the thread or not.

My use case is e.g., if I have posted in three separate threads and I am hoping for a response to my post (maybe I was asking for help or information), I'd like to be able to quickly resurface those threads.

I've had cases where I posted somewhere asking for help or assistance then forgot to check for a reply for days or more.

Maybe this is already covered by the bookmarks page, and even if not I respect that such a feature may be niche enough that it's not worth implementing.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that the bookmarks screen displays threads I have manually bookmarked, not necessarily threads I have posted in.

What I am describing is a similar view which displays threads I posted in, ordered by most recent post (recency of *my* post, not replies) first, regardless of whether I bookmarked the thread or not.

My use case is e.g., if I have posted in three separate threads and I am hoping for a response to my post (maybe I was asking for help or information), I'd like to be able to quickly resurface those threads.

I've had cases where I posted somewhere asking for help or assistance then forgot to check for a reply for days or more.

Maybe this is already covered by the bookmarks page, and even if not I respect that such a feature may be niche enough that it's not worth implementing.

There is an option (forums option, not an app option) to automatically bookmark all threads you reply to.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the auto-bookmark thing (which you'd have to turn on through the site) is probably your best bet. It still won't do exactly what you're asking for though

The trouble is we don't have access to that kind of view of the data - at the end of the day the app is just scraping the pages on the site, so you get a forum view or a bookmarks view because those are pages you can see in a browser. If we added something to track a completely separate, arbitrary list of threads, the only way to reliably update them would be to go looking for each one, loading its forum and going through each page until we find them all. It could make ZDR sad

Plus it would mean big changes to the way the thread list view works anyway. That part's probably gonna happen, but it's not a minor feature addition is what I mean. We might be able to add an ordering option for bookmarks and forums that puts your most recently replied-to threads first, but it would be hacky and inconsistent (because it only orders what's on the current page) so it's probably not worth it

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 27, 2018

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I would just bookmark them until you get your reply (whether automatically via the forum option or manually), then unbookmark them when you don't want to follow them anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

I couldn't reproduce that personally, I'll try and take another look and see if something's up. What's your device again? And you're not using some weird XDA mod or anything? You in phone mode or tablet mode?

This started happening to me on my Pixel. I can't find the option for keeping the screen on in the Awful app settings on the beta version.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's in the menu on the title bar when you open a thread, it's meant to be a temporary toggle I guess. I'm not sure why it exists exactly!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh! I was digging around in the app settings.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

baka kaba posted:

Heyas, sorry for the delay, and yeah until I toggle it ( which lasts for as long as the app is open).

I'm on a Verizon Galaxy Note 5 and on stock firmware - nothing out of the ordinary. If memory serves the awful app is at stock aside from the OLED theme. I had uninstalled / reinstalled it the other time around but the behavior didn't change; phone mode.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there a reason why I can't make a post after attaching an image? The posting prompt comes up but it doesn't post.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

We Know Catheters posted:

Is there a reason why I can't make a post after attaching an image? The posting prompt comes up but it doesn't post.

You can't post ONLY an attached image. You need at least one character of text.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

The Bloop posted:

You can't post ONLY an attached image. You need at least one character of text.

I know you have to have text in the post. It still will not post.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just tested it and it looks like a site problem - I can't post with an attachment in desktop Chrome either. I'll mention it in the technical thread!

Ghostpilot posted:

Heyas, sorry for the delay, and yeah until I toggle it ( which lasts for as long as the app is open).

I'm on a Verizon Galaxy Note 5 and on stock firmware - nothing out of the ordinary. If memory serves the awful app is at stock aside from the OLED theme. I had uninstalled / reinstalled it the other time around but the behavior didn't change; phone mode.

All right cool, I'll see if I can track it down. The only thing I can think of offhand, is that the toggle is telling the WebView component to keep the screen on or off. It should only do that in the app when you hit the menu option, so it's possible whatever version of the WebView component you have installed is defaulting to keeping it on. It might happen in other apps that use it too, like Chrome (but maybe not, they might force set it to off, which we might have to do too)

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 2, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

New app icon 😍
Are the imgur uploads capped per user or across the whole app install base?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
How the gently caress do i post a new thread

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nth Doctor posted:

New app icon 😍

I updated but still have the same frog.

Do I have to check a box for the rotating swasticocks?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

New threads are still Not A Thing sorry!

Nth Doctor posted:

New app icon 😍
Are the imgur uploads capped per user or across the whole app install base?

There's a limit for the app itself, so there's like a quota per user to try and let everyone use it. So if you need to upload a ton of images, use their app or something!

Trouble is just querying their server for the current limit uses up some credit, so instead the menu just says "dunno" until you upload a pic and get some info back for free, and then it'll have an idea for a while

It's kinda complicated so basically, just try it, and hopefully it'll work most of the time? Might run out near the end of each month, we'll have to see how it goes. I know it's a butt for the iOS app too

The Bloop posted:

I updated but still have the same frog.

Do I have to check a box for the rotating swasticocks?

It's the new Oreo icons where they can be circles and stuff. If you're using a launcher like Nova that can use them too

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 9, 2018

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I am 100% sure I will not be uploading images from the app. Can I donate my quota to a deserving goon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

drunken officeparty posted:

I am 100% sure I will not be uploading images from the app. Can I donate my quota to a deserving goon.

I'm trying it out now!

edit- it works!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

drunken officeparty posted:

It's less a quota and more a goon limitation system :ssh:

If you're on the beta there's a recents thing in the emotes popup now, and the search works on title text too - so if you search for "cat" it'll bring up emotes with that text in the description as well as in the :code:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just updated to 3.5.0-beta

I'm guessing its the 'stuck following a direct link to a thread' fix that's done it, but reopening the app dumps you back to the forum list every time instead of the thread you were reading

Is that intended?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh you mean clicking the app icon while the app is open? Yeah that looks like a bug - the thread is still open for you though right? And you can swipe over to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yep that's it exactly, and yes you can swipe over to still, just a bit disjointing